CDO Forums

Full Version: New Mangler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pictures of the new mangler up on warseer now.

Time of Madness
Hm. Not too fond of that.

Galladorn Wrote:
A smart git would separate the two manglers and have 2 instead of 1.  Looks easy to do.

Yeah, that occured to me too.

I suppose that answers the question on how two huge squigs could fit on a 50mm base
I think the concept fits, but I don't understand why there are two on one.

If you don't separate them and put one on another vbase, you have far too much money and not enough sense Tongue Wink
There are two of them because that's what a Mangler Squig actually is - two Giant Cave Squigs chained together so they go mental. The description in the book is quite explicit. You could separate them and get two, yes, but they'd technically only count as a Mangler Squig then.
It is indeed a benefit of working in resin. The Ogre Firebelly is another good example - those flames couldn't have been done in metal.
I must admit I really like the model, so far. But By Hashut the price of it! For what isn't even a real unit but more of a movable marker. Someone made a comment of it being priced as a centrepiece unit despite being a throwaway part of you army list. My understanding is that people will want to use say 2, 3 or even 4 of these. The cost of that would buy you most of the rest of you army! I need to point it up but I think I got the better part of a Skaven army for what 4 Manglers would end up costing.
Then again I'm continually surprised at the price of new models whenever I happen to check something online.
Well, these things aren't really priced according to how useful they are in the game. Mangler Squigs are so random, that no one who plays any sort of optimised list (and therefore cares much about points per unit of currency) is going to be using them anyway. This model is clearly aimed at collectors and completists.
Not that any models are by and large priced per the points or anything like that.
Most people seem to really like the Mangler. Taking one won't do much likely but 3-4 will more than give their points back. That's the feeling I get from all over. Lots of people asking how to make them, what base size they should have etc. I've gotten the feeling there is a demand for them beyond completeness and collecting.
It has very fun rules. It's very much an all-or-nothing unit - it'll either chomp a whole unit or just achieve nothing and die. They're not a clever choice compared to almost anything else in the book, but if you're playing a Night Goblin themed list, they're thematically essential. As I say, these are for people who want a Mangler Squig no matter what - it's not going to convince anyone who doesn't want one to get one!
Having not got the greenskin book, I didn't know that was the description, lol. In which case, it does the job perfectly - what makes me curious though, is why it is singular in name.

Very nice model, making the most of the new material.
I think it is actually "Mangler Squigs", but everyone always seems to use the singular. I think there's a bit of confusion because it does sound like an actual type of squig (i.e. one up from a Giant Cave Squig or whatever) - in fact, it's the same Giant Cave Squig you can get as a hero mount, just with another one, chained together and working like a massive, more powerful Night Goblin Fanatic.

Or people are just too lazy to read the fluff sections of their books, which wouldn't surprise me. The online Warhammer community has the average intellect of the vegetable drawer in my fridge, but with fewer vitamins.
In my experience the models that were originally released as finecast seem to be better quality than the metal models being reproduced. Maybe it's an issue with the old moulds not being suited to finecast?

AGPO Wrote:
In my experience the models that were originally released as finecast seem to be better quality than the metal models being reproduced. Maybe it's an issue with the old moulds not being suited to finecast?

Yeah, I think that's certainly the case.

I like the concept; but why are these on a round base?
GW always stuck to the rule that WHFB monsters would have rectangular or square bases. Have I missed something?
They follow the precedent set by Fanatics, which work in a very similar way. Essentially, they don't rank up, line up, or engage with enemy units in any way. They just bounce through them and cause hits. Or explode.

Quote:
They're actually quite nasty; I went up against 2 of them in a mighty empires game a few months back and they were devastating.

Very easy to kill with shooting/magic missiles though. They are very good but not OTT. 4 would be pretty scary though, yes.

The last time I played against an OnG army, my opponent`s Savage Orc horde pursued through his own Mangler... it did 17 hits... Happy

Pricey though... I sculpted 2 Manglers for my mate`s Night Goblin army for 50 quid lol, bet he`s chuffed.

The teething problems of finecast are reduced and the Finecast original molds are definitely better suited (I also see no improvement in the ex-metal castings either, no matter how much it's said) - that being said, Liquid Greenstuff is a godsend to Finecast, lasts longer than paints and costs the same!

Regarding the bases, it's more f a marker than a unit in a lot of senses, but as has been said - fanatics are the same and it;s because they don't match up to conventional WFB standards. Flying bases are also round Wink
These guys are MASSIVE! Way bigger than the giant cave squig. Each one is bigger than the wyvern and boss on top O.o
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's