CDO Forums

Full Version: On the BBC Website
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting article but not much new. I walked into a GW for the first time in ten years last weekend and the price-raise is indeed exorbitant. Furthermore it is all about sell-sell-sell. When I asked if they had a spare wheel for my Death Shrieker Rocket Launcher from their bitz-box I was looked at as if I was mad.

Futhermore the game looks awfully nerdy...which it perhaps is. Respect to the Hat!
Took comics since 1940's to become "cool", GW is only 25
I think that that was actually quite a
Good airing forthe game...and those guys weren't total dweebs so that was good.  It was less reinforcing of the geek virtue of some gamers than most articles about the hobby that I've seen in the past.

Too bad it wasn't about REAL warhammer.... The fantasy kind!

Blue
I love me some "Neocrons" even though I'm more of a "Vampire and Elves" guy...
Comment 69 appears to have done by a Mr Priestley!

Pretty standard fare, too brief to really get into any details other than "we like it because it is fun". The meat is on the comments, where people fail to see similarities between their own hobbies and this one.

Edit:
They have since changed the title from "Why do grown men..." to "Why do adults..."
Maybe including so much about the lady-players in the article made the title seem silly (it wasn't titled by the writer) as well as pointlessly snobby. Since the game isn't recommended for anyone under 11 (I think that is the current level) due to being too complicated, it seems weird to place so much emphasis on age. My five-year-old daughter is really keen to play, it looks like I can't fob her off any longer.

Necrotique Wrote:
though I'm more of a "Vampire and Elves" guy...

For shame!! Vampires and Elves indeed!  Bite your tongue, or you'll find yourself working along side the rest of the rabble in the Zharr Naggrund salt mines for such outrageous talk!  Shock

At least this is better than that one in the Greek press.
While it doesn't really answer the question in the title and omits Warhammer Fantasy, I find this a well-written article. It certainly could be a lot worse. A Dutch newspaper article (forgotten from which newspaper it came from) basically amounted to "lonely virgins play this game in the hope of meeting goth chicks". I'm not even joking.

Journalist: ...and a few boy's looked at a 'Exorcist' tank of a pink goth girl. They said it looked great. To me the model looked like garbage, and I think they actually meant her breasts.

This was some kind of local newspaper, but still the lack of professionalism shocked me to my core. Like I said, the BBC article could have been a lot worse.

cornixt Wrote:
Comment 69 appears to have done by a Mr Priestley!

And he spelled 'challenge' wrong. Still, it's good to see that he's proud of Warhammer 40k.

Astounding how the same people who think a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around a field is worthy entertainment for millions of adults worldwide also think a hobby involving complex rules, strategy, fiction and art is for children. And some of these are people who are actually paid to put their f**kwit ideas into words.

And they wonder why GW don't bother engaging the press. Jesus.

Baggronor Wrote:
Astounding how the same people who think a bunch of grown men kicking a ball around a field is worthy entertainment for millions of adults worldwide also think a hobby involving complex rules, strategy, fiction and art is for children. And some of these are people who are actually paid to put their f**kwit ideas into words.

+1

Baggronor Wrote:

If there was a Comment of Year Competition, this would be my vote.

Baggronor Wrote:

This had me in stitches, a brilliant response (perhaps not the best thing to read in a busy office though Wink )

Cheers

Vogon

Ha ha !
Haha! Lead figures indeed.

Necrotique Wrote:
I love me some "Neocrons" even though I'm more of a "Vampire and Elves" guy...

If I'd known you were such an elf loving, namby-pamby, fannying-about taswegian, I would have sent you some elves.   I literally gave away approx 3500 pts worth of 3rd and 4th ed elves to a guy in our club, just because I wanted to get rid of something / anything.  Mind you, now he's gunna horde up on someone (maybe me) at the next club meet because he can now.

I don't *really* like vampires and elves, I was just taking the p*ss out of the article's description of WH Fantasy Tongue

Thanks for the offer though Happy

Thommy H Wrote:

Quote: Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.

WTF? Shock

It's satire.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's