CDO Forums

Full Version: GW Abandoning Finecast?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive been seeing a few rumours on BOLS over the past few days about Games Workshop abandoning finecast.
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/11/g...ecast.html

Bell of Lost Souls Wrote:
Lots going on behind the scenes at GW - Look for a public announcement in Q2 of 2014 regarding Finecast:

-GW Proper gets out of Finecast entirely.
-Forgeworld will take control of all remaining Finecast character models.
-These character models will be the only non-plastics in GW's line until they are replaced.
-These character models will be moved over to plastic (and GW control) in time with plastic clampack resculpts.
-There are internal tests taking place to cast some existing Forgeworld resin kits in a new plastic material.

It looks like the resin material is on its way out, and GW is sprinting as fast as it can to replace any Finecast non character kits from their entire range - leaving them as a 100% plastic manufacturer.

The thing that sounds interesting is the casting of Forgeworld kits in plastic. Maybe GW are planning on taking control of Chaos Dwarfs. As for the rest im just annoyed that everything is going to become plastic and I doubt we will be seeing any decrease in price. It will be a shame if character models are nothing special anymore if they don't bring back metals.

There are quite a few alternatives to regular plastic and resin now, they'll probably pick one of them.
I'm not sure that being plastic would have to mean production by the main citadel team.

FW could produce models in stuff other than resin I'm sure (as long as it was cast in a similar way to their current set up).
Well as long as they are not bringing back metal this is not a win...
Get ready for the plastics pretending to be metal...

Bolg Wrote:
Well as long as they are not bringing back metal this is not a win...

True...true...Cheers!

Blue

I am actually glad to hear this! I had some horrible experiences with Finecast, including models warped beyond recognition and bubbles as big as nailheads. Plastic is a converter's dream, especially if you (like me) like to make unique armies. I don't know if this rumor is true or not, and being honest I don't care. The only thing I know is that I never purchased Failcast and never will.

Also, I don't understand why GW has so many problems in getting resin kits right. I mean, "they" are the biggest mini manufacturer on the planet right? So why the hell companies like Raging Heroes can cast models with absolutely 0 warping, 0 bubbles, and 0 mould lines?
Plastic is fine for me, if they chose that route Wink
Bring back the metal!

...although if given the choice, I'll take plastic over resin any day.
this is the best news i've heard all week. if it turns out to be true.
Fuggit do you mean you want more Iron Maiden and ManoWar?

ClawLeader Wrote:
Fuggit do you mean you want more Iron Maiden and ManoWar?

Hahaha! Cheers!
Only if it's the Man O' War game, because we had the coolest ships Wink

Skink Wrote:
Also, I don't understand why GW has so many problems in getting resin kits right. I mean, "they" are the biggest mini manufacturer on the planet right? So why the hell companies like Raging Heroes can cast models with absolutely 0 warping, 0 bubbles, and 0 mould lines?

Because they produce the Finecast minis in China and there is no quality control?
Raging Heroes have a smaller production, so less controls to do. They also chose a better quality for their resin, GW chose the worst...

I've never purchased any finecast product from GW. But I've seen a lot of my mates having trouble with their finecast kits. The models are twisted, bend and the material is hard to convert and paint.

Other companies made some nice resin figs though. I've got some Reaper Bones miniatures and they are really nice.

Finecast for big models is just strange, when you consider the rather big minis they make in plastic and the price was always crazy.

I never liked metal either though. There are to reasons for that

1. metal is hard and i really like to cut things apart, convert, kit bash and so on.
2. a painted metal figure is not a very practical gaming piece. My metal Bloodbowl teams is a constant work of touch up painting.

Bring the plastic and bring lot's of it. The plastic hero/lord sets Gw made for Empire and Orcs are great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwbV75xBf4U

they have found another ski walker  it called cheep ass platic
My finecast ogre hunter came out with no problems, but I believe whole heartedly I got seriously lucky.

They're going to need to keep prices reasonable, which that idea seems to have been aborted, but one can cross his fingers.

Bell of Lost Souls Wrote:
-These character models will be moved over to plastic (and GW control) in time with plastic clampack resculpts.
-There are internal tests taking place to cast some existing Forgeworld resin kits in a new plastic material.

Does it means that GW will sell Chaos Dwarfs again? Tongue
Or is it just 40k, because it brings more cash?

Not necessarily Kamphre - going by the wording it sounds more like FW are going to try dropping resin in favour of a new plastic based material. :/
Reference URL's