CDO Forums

Full Version: If WoC was to receive missile units, which would you prefer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A friend of mine rarely plays his WoC army due to its two-dimensional playstyle. This made me ponder about Warriors of Chaos and possible missile units. Since Ungors recently got bows it didn't seem entirely impossible.

Marauders once had bows and even pistols if I remember correctly, but would you like to see a return of missile weapons to WoC? And if so, what kind of weaponry?

Feel free to answer the poll and share your thoughts.

Admiral Wrote:
A friend of mine rarely plays his WoC army due to its two-dimensional playstyle. This made me ponder about Warriors of Chaos and possible missile units. Since Ungors recently got bows it didn't seem entirely impossible.

Marauders once had bows and even pistols if I remember correctly, but would you like to see a return of missile weapons to WoC? And if so, what kind of weaponry?

Feel free to answer the poll and share your thoughts.

I think there should be a bow magic item, some chaos relic that ordinary men cannot draw. Would hit like a truck and be flavorful without making WoC all shooty

None or archers. Seeing how the tribes in the north are hunters whom are skilled with a bow I can see archer with bows make an appearance.
I think Marauder archers would be best.

And technically they have access to Chaos Dwarf blunderbusses and fireglaives already, the only problem is it requires you to have the Tamurkhan book on top of the WoC book, rather than it being part of the WoC book.

Mad Hatter's magic item idea sounds good too - maybe something which is as portable as a bow but fires like a bolt thrower?

Javelins on a skirmisher unit might also be fluffy - I'm thinking something like Marauder whalers (maybe also give them some sort of anti-monster rule to reflect this 'job'?)
While I think archers would justifiably fit in a WoC army...I would still say "no".
I think it would 'dilute' the pure hand to hand (blood! chaos! kill! maim!) theme of that particular army. A theme that WoC players in my area really seem to enjoy...one exceptionally good WoC player I know once said "I hate shooting phases...if I wanted to shoot I would go play f_cking 40k"

just my opinion...and naturally a player could just not play with missile units

Dînadan Wrote:
Mad Hatter's magic item idea sounds good too - maybe something which is as portable as a bow but fires like a bolt thrower?

Now that would be pretty awesome!

Marauder Cavalry already have access to javelins and throwing axes, so I don't see why those couldn't be opened up to Marauder infantry too - not that they're enough to make them worth fielding in the new book anyway. I wouldn't mind slings or shotbows, which also fit the hunting theme, but I doubt I'd actually use them in my WoC army even if I had access to them. If CDs were added to the book then I might well use them, but I don't really want them to be subsumed into WoC.

So, the missile troops I wouldn't mind having access to I probably don't want, while the ones I might use I wouldn't want to be included in the WoC book. I guess I'll go for 'something else' though I don't quite know what.

MadHatter Wrote:

Dînadan Wrote:

Now that would be pretty awesome!

That's a very elfy thing though.

The HE used to have that exact item, Bow of the Seafarer, and an even better version still exists in the hands of Aliht Anar sc.

Beastmen have a bolt thrower javelin. With low BS (3 for characters) it sucks though. When it comes to WoC though, one shot isn't going to much compared to improving the 4-5 attacks you get in each combat round. The BM item has the same issues.

WOC have Hellcannons and no CD units. If we were to get a missile unit it should be a CD unit. Marauder horsemen can have throwing axes and javelins so the marauders already have a missile unit.
As much as I would love to build an army of norse marauders - and thus could use bows - I voted none at all.

Chaos have the hellcannon and magic.

And there is every possibility to make an alliance with ungor bowmen, fire shooting demons, chaos dwarf fireglaives. So I say none at all.

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed Wrote:
WOC have Hellcannons and no CD units.

You may want to reread the Tamurkhan book Wink

I would say some sort of bow, not sure what or the look of those but mechanical of some sort comes to mind.
Axes, axes for pretty elf faces.  Honestly, it's hard to picture something that fits in with my vision of WOC...
No.  With the horseman's throwing axes and the use of allied armies, I think it's covered if someone wants to have the use of missiles.  Having too many things that are the same across every army is boring and would cause an armies uniqueness to be lost.
None please. I like different armies to play differently, and Chaos has always been CC/magic focused. The challenge of playing a Chaos army is to get your combat beasts into hand-to-hand at he same time without taking too much missile fire. You effectively have one phase less than the enemy, but it's a phase you do extremely well.
Reference URL's