CDO Forums

Full Version: Scribe's Contest I
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want that cool medal, I want the cool model even more. I have an idea, it's a good idea - getting it just right in a quote is gonna be really hard.
Just submitted my entry. Big Grin

Quote:
Shock

Hashut must be with him for sureWink.

A rules question:
If a member writes 3 Quotes do I know that or is every quote displayed separately for the voting?
I`m a little bit a tactician, you know Wink

edit: Great it has started! I am looking forward to the entries.

Lovely banner, layout, medals and concept. Let's make this contest type the new thing on the blog. I have absolutely no idea what to write but I'll think of something.
Woah dang, this will keep me up all night...

Admiral Wrote:

@Dînadan: Nice! Four weeks of waiting awaits you, though. Wink

Better than four weeks of wracking my brain and coming up with nothing.  Wink

Plus I've got to make up for missing the last Golden Hat somehow Tongue

I've written,read, deleted and re-written my quotes three times. And even though the essence is there, I can't get them just right. My english vocabulary is not colourful enough. And there's so little space to do it in.
The problem is that the danish language is super effective but extremely limited compared to english. We just donsn't have words to describe things as precisely as the English language do. A good example would be the word "angry". In danish we only have one word for that, unless we want to use metaphors (spelling?). The English language has more fine-tuned words to describe which kind of angry feeling that's on the table. For example "livid".

This makes our language very good for everyday life, but very bad for academics, colorful speech and not misunderstanding our partners in a heated debate, as many of our words can mean multiple things. Even in the same context. That makes translations from danish to English seem dull but maybe with multiple word suggestions it would be okay.

Isn't Swedish kinda similar in that regard btw.?

Malorndk Wrote:
The problem is that the danish language is super effective but extremely limited compared to english. We just donsn't have words to describe things as precisely as the English language do. A good example would be the word "angry". In danish we only have one word for that, unless we want to use metaphors (spelling?). The English language has more fine-tuned words to describe which kind of angry feeling that's on the table. For example "livid".

This makes our language very good for everyday life, but very bad for academics, colorful speech and not misunderstanding our partners in a heated debate, as many of our words can mean multiple things. Even in the same context. That makes translations from danish to English seem dull but maybe with multiple word suggestions it would be okay.

Isn't Swedish kinda similar in that regard btw.?

To be fair, that's probably got something to do with English being a mongrel language; at its base it's Germanic in origin having grown from the Anglo-Saxon language, but it also has Latin, Ancient Greek and French mixed in and a few other languages sprinkled in like Welsh/Celtic and 'Scandinavian' (eg Thursday is a corruption of Thor's Day).  It means that English can use words from all of those languages (or corruptions/evolutions) of those words as synonyms.

Admiral Wrote:
Yep, Swedish is entirely similar to Danish in that regard. But superior nevertheless in this Scandinavian sibling bicker. Wink

In none of quantum physics infinite number of universes is swedish/Sweden/swedes in any way remotely superior to danish/Denmark/danes?

I sent in an entry, even though I suck at any type of creative writing dead
I find this annoyingly hard xD
I want to make it somewhat funny, but the ingamem setting of the dawi zharr isn't a humorous place.
<3

Sorry it might be a scandinavian LARP term. I just mean "in character" or "in the fictional setting"
Thanks for putting this competition together.  I really enjoy the Chaos Dwarf lore.  I don't get to do as much crafting as I would like to, so this creative writing competition is perfect for me.

Wish I could have gotten in on the last crafting competition, and I am looking forward to the next Scribe competition... well any of the competitions are things I look forward to.

Totally pumped to read the quotes!
@bigdark: Thanks! We've got quite some nice entries.

We're approaching deadline, ladies and gentlemen! Be welcome to write a few lines if you feel like it, and remember the allure of medal and model. Whether witty, serious, cryptic or cool, any quote goes as long as it fits the Chaos Dwarfs. Happy
I'm in! Takes Hat off
Very good, folks! The first Scribe's Contest is a success in regards to number of entrants. And, I dare say, quality texts. This is just the kind of thing we want for the CD culture mumbo-jumbo. Tapping the creative reservoir of CDO  Takes Hat off

Deadline is soon up. Voting thread will be up soon as well.

@Abecedar: No problem! Also, thanks a lot for "sir"ing me. Wink
Deadline at 0400 in our part of the world right?

Admiral Wrote:
Very good, folks! The first Scribe's Contest is a success in regards to number of entrants. And, I dare say, quality texts. This is just the kind of thing we want for the CD culture mumbo-jumbo. Tapping the creative reservoir of CDO  Takes Hat off

Deadline is soon up. Voting thread will be up soon as well.

@Abecedar: No problem! Also, thanks a lot for "sir"ing me. Wink

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Deadline at 0400 in our part of the world right?

I get it to 06:00 for us through timezone conversion sites and looking on a timezone map, so someone please correct me here if I'm wrong.

Best of luck!

Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's