CDO Forums

Full Version: 8th Ed Night Goblins etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is GW lazy and we know that.
Looking at my old core skaven troop, ugly as hell, but great customization, heads, torso, legs, 2 arms and that annoying tail that I never used because never fit in the ranks.

But they were ugly small retarded looking monkey so they remade in the new one, where you just have to glue une arm.
WOW

Same for the Night goblin, they were amazing, one of my fav unit ever, not those new one are small, monopose, they look cheap and boring, not many details, stupid, god no. cmon.
What happened?
Just because they are trying to push more on the kids making easier models to assemble?
I wish I could have a box of, what was? 6/7th ed night goblins

GW is really making huge stupid moneygrab models and leaving some core units behind.

IDK what is the point of my thread, but I love to complain.

Stupid GW Mad
Nah the new goblins are better the old plastics towered over dwarfs. They were much to big.

gIL^ Wrote:
Nah the new goblins are better the old plastics towered over dwarfs. They were much to big.

Those new ones have no details nor possible customization from the box itself, like the new basic skaven unit i bought.
30 euro of disappointment.

5th/6th edition plastic boxes saw a broad expansion of the previously limited and mostly monopose plastic range in Warhammer.

One good direction was the plethora of parts. There were bitz everywhere! Just lovely. One poor direction was the gigantism in proportions and the somewhat crude sculpting in some kits, such as hamfisted Elves.

Since the end of 6th edition (Bretonnian peasants, Gnoblars), Games Workshop have moved away from vast wealth of bits and posability. This reduced the number of sprues in the boxes, for one thing. On the other hand, though the design changed for many kits (such as the move toward big weapons, shoulder pads and helmet wings for High Elves), there has been a trend toward sleeker models, and maybe also better details. The looks of units arguably improved in the case of Skaven and Night Goblins, but decreased in the case of Empire State Troopers. Dwarf Warriors/Thunderers became plain, though they still worked.

The core units of Warhammer aren't perfect, but neither are they in a terrible shape, although Tomb Kings could do with an overhaul like Vampire Counts got. Personally I'm much more thrilled by the release of mere infantry (like Halflings, if there were any, or the new Ungors and Dark Elf infantry) than by fancy monsters. I guess that's one reason why I've moved on to buy most minis from other companies than GW, especially metal infantry.

Admiral Wrote:
5th/6th edition plastic boxes saw a broad expansion of the previously limited and mostly monopose plastic range in Warhammer.

One good direction was the plethora of parts. There were bitz everywhere! Just lovely. One poor direction was the gigantism in proportions and the somewhat crude sculpting in some kits, such as hamfisted Elves.

Since the end of 6th edition (Bretonnian peasants, Gnoblars), Games Workshop have moved away from vast wealth of bits and posability. This reduced the number of sprues in the boxes, for one thing. On the other hand, though the design changed for many kits (such as the move toward big weapons, shoulder pads and helmet wings for High Elves), there has been a trend toward sleeker models, and maybe also better details. The looks of units arguably improved in the case of Skaven and Night Goblins, but decreased in the case of Empire State Troopers. Dwarf Warriors/Thunderers became plain, though they still worked.

The core units of Warhammer aren't perfect, but neither are they in a terrible shape, although Tomb Kings could do with an overhaul like Vampire Counts got. Personally I'm much more thrilled by the release of mere infantry (like Halflings, if there were any, or the new Ungors and Dark Elf infantry) than by fancy monsters. I guess that's one reason why I've moved on to buy most minis from other companies than GW, especially metal infantry.

I feel you, and I agree too.
They moved in this new kind of models so they use less material for print them but they still ask 30 euro for 20 gobs/skaven when they saved much more on the production, releasing a worse product.
I cant see in anyway the new night goblin being better than the old ones. I still have some orcs from the 5th ed army box, those with monopose archers and warriors, and they still look good, I used them for let my gf and ex gf try to paint.

Back of few years GW was still focusing on make good models, especialyl after Rackham closed and they hired most of their sculptors, this is why today they improved this much.

Now they are just releasing huge overpriced models so some kid is going to buy them because of his dad.
I did the same back than with the Moomak from LotR when it was 50 euro almost 10y ago(now 75€ i think)

They are not anymore about the game, they dont care anymore, they just got lazy and looking for the cheapest way to make more money.

Honestly, those new hoge models of 80 euro each, in plastic value, what can they be worth? 25 euro? wanna sell it for 50? ok I can still be on it, think a bit about it and then go for it.
80 euro FOR ONE MODEL is just a no.
Cmon I bought my old skaven army box for 75€ with 20 clan rats, 20 plague monks, 2 rat ogres and some giant rats (everything disgustingly painted but I was 16 y/o)

Back to the original idea of the topic, i'm just sad and disappointed to see where they are heading, I honestly think that if they will continue this way they are not going to last so long, or ending up like World of Warcraft, they had so much, now they are living of old incomes.

I will just support as much as I can small groups who are trying to make the best out of their possibilities, thx Mantic especially (and many people who are making blood bowl models that you can find on COMIXININOS like gaspez art, greebo, meiko miniatures and so on)

Sorry for the long post. Pirate

Yes you like to complain - that much is clear now. You had a petty strong anti Games Workshop tone in more than a couple of posts.

I completely disagree with you on the hobgoblins. The new ones are brilliant! And a much higher standard of product than the previous kit - so the price is fine.

The battle for skull pass night goblins (and the ones in the regiment box) are dynamic enough, has different poses, comes with different command groups, shamans and heroes. Minor conversions are real easy to do on banners, musicians and making spears to swords. I now. I did a great night goblin army from a couple of BfSP boxes.

The regiment box comes with bits to make all weapon options and even netters.

The old ones (and the current goblins) are too big. The are broader than humans (and if not walking with bend legs) even as high. And the extra bits in that one really wasn't that usefull in my opinion. The old command sprue (skeleton, skaven, goblin) was awesome - yes. The old nightgoblins (and current goblins) had some werid unnatural poses (despite being multi bit miniatures) - the new ones look realistic.

But most importantly - they look good next to orcs! An orc is bigger than a human and a human is bigger than a goblin. An orc should be way bigger than a goblin. That's the fluff and all the art work (Allright we have Grom). the new night goblins look good next to their big orc cousins.

And they are easy to paint. And since you have to field a ton of goblins for no points at all - that is a great attribute to have for the miniatures. And they rank up really nicely - unlike the old ones who always became a nightmare.

Plus compared to all the old metal night goblins, those beauties seen in Guters blog - the are better in sync size wise.
i prefer modern 1 piece plasticsto multipart every time. the newish stuff in GW bosed sets are great. space hulk terminators is a good example.
For many years I wanted  O&G to be my next army.  I've got about 1k of orcs.  I still want to collect a load of 8th ed night goblins at some point.  On my long list.
The 7th ed one-piece NGs were good because there were so many different ones. Being small meant you got a lot more of them for the same size sprue as the multi-part. Plus they were actually the size that goblins should be.

The 5-7th edition multi-part models varied in how good they were. In nearly every case, the split between the torso and legs was pointless unless you were kitbashing. It added an extra pointless step in construction that was invisible on the table. The adjustable arms and heads is where you create variety in the unit - being able to swap a spear for a bow only actually benefits GW in having a single box that fulfills more than one purpose since you ended up with so many similar-looking units (which is even worse with current plastics).

The path I'd prefer for organised armies (elves, dwarfs, most humans) is one of nearly single-piece models (maybe heads off) but with easily hackable body parts so I can cut off an arm to reposition it if I want. Plus lots of bits that visibly change the look of a unit - helmet swaps, shields, body decoration. The disorganised armies (like greenskins and skaven) need a positionable arm to enable a much large variety of positions so that they look like a rabble.

Number one consideration should be how well they rank up. This always seemed like an afterthought with all of GWs miniatures, especially when it came to shields - the number of units that I dreaded fielding just because I knew it would take forever to rank them up at the start of the game (like Witch Elves). Or, they just looked bad all of the time due to having to stand at an odd angle (see the plastic CD warrior).
I remember when the plastic regiments kits first came out. (Previously plastics meant endless repetition of the same monopose model, like the plastic Chaos Dwarf axeman.) It was the hunchback Chaos Warriors and, at the time, they looked amazing. I thought likewise about the Zombies (which, along with TK Skeletons, are I think one of the oldest kits still in production).

In hindsight, those early days of plastic kits were a bad era in terms of scales and proportions, which have never been GW's strong points anyway. I do like the increased poseability of the more multi-part kits, but the current regular Goblins are far too large, so I'd like to see them redone along the lines of Night Goblins. Then again, I don't like the change in look that's occurred in most kits. The newer WoC are too static for my liking, while I also preferred the older Saurus aesthetic (where they actually had feet).

Most armies now have most of their troops in plastic as far as I'm aware, so perhaps we'll see GW redoing more of the older kits. They recently did it for Dark Elves, so perhaps High Elves will eventually get the same treatment. (Tomb Kings, I think, would be tricky because I believe everything in their range is cross-compatible, so it may ALL need to be re-done in order to improve the basic Warriors.)

Doombeard

I prefer the 4th/5th edition metal night goblins, regular goblins and forest goblins, they had more character. Same with Dwarfs, they've never improved on the cannon, hammerers, longbeards, clansman since the 90's metal marauder models.
I really like the 6th edition Night Goblins. I have massive amounts of them in my O&G army and many more waiting to be assembled and painted!

I agree 100% with Doombeard! The Forest Goblins were really cool (cant believe I traded them away!) And I think the 4th/5th Longbeards are by far the best Dwarves that GW has produced. The plastics can never come close!

Da KaptainTakes Hat off
I guess there is a little misunderstanding, Doombeard seems to write about metal 4th edition goblins (I also love them so much), while Kaptain BlackSquig posted pics of 6th edition plastic night goblins.
Sorry gents,
Maybe I should have clarified. I like the 4th Edition metal Forest Goblins as opposed to the newer BfSP ones. I like the 6th edition Night Goblins a lot, as shown by their inclusion in my army. And I really like the Longbeards from the 4/5th edition Dwarf line. I am not a fanboy of all the OOP Dwarf figures but the Longbeards and Ironbreakers, imo, live up to the artwork, while the rest and some of the BfSP ones are quite comical. Though lots of clever lads here have made GREAT conversions of Chaos Dwarves here on this forum.

Game on!

Da KaptainTakes Hat off
Probably most miniatures have improved (the detail level certainly has, the design is more a matter of taste) and models have come much closer to the artwork, but it's true that the recent metal Longbeards are of unsurpassed quality. The new plastic ones are nice, but I'd only use them as Dwarf Warriors when you can have old Longbeards instead. Happy

Doombeard

There was an awesome battle report in the old 4th or 5th ed Orcs and Goblins army book where Orcs take on Dwarfs, that dwarf army used in that report was pretty special.
Reference URL's