CDO Forums

Full Version: Free Genestealer Cult rules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
GW have put up Genestealer Cult rules on the Black Library site for free:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Pr...oodkin.pdf

Fairly sure they're just the ones from the recent White Dwarf but it's nice that you can get a hold of them without having to buy the whole mag.
That is really nice.
So if you own the Deathwatch game you can actually play them. I was a great Genestealer fan down in the 90ies and the new minis look partially really great.
I like the Aberrants and the different hybrids. The characters lack a bit of character Wink from my point of view, especially the Magus.
I always loved the Genestealer Cult, although I was never a fan of the limo (too 20th century American cult for me). I don't like these models as much as the really old ones, but there is no easy scratch-building of a hybrid that doesn't look too human or too genestealer, and these are still nice anyway.

I had plans for building a genestealer cult Imperial Guard army for ages, then leaned towards genestealer cult Space Marines (not sure if it is biologically possible in the fluff, but I wanted to convert the models). It was two editions later before I gave up and resigned to the fact that I'd probably never make it. This new boxset might be where I finally get it going, as long as GW don't screw it up like their assassins one-off game.
I loved the genestealers cult back in the days, so sci-fi.. plus the minis were amazing (imho)
I am quite happy that the new minis have clear references to old ones..
It's been a looooooooooong time since I bought any GW stuff, but I snapped up those Genestealers immediately. Beautiful figures, that respect and pay homage to the old ones, while taking advantage of the improvements in technology since then. The Genestealer Magus is an absolute treat - incredible model.

Free 40K rules is the icing on the cake. If GW did this kind of thing more often, I'd still be a regular customer. (The price of the box is a bit steep - well, it is still GW after all - but I managed to find it at a generous discount). Do I dare to dream that this marks a new direction from them? That churning out bland, soulless models for a bland, soulless universe which slapped fans of the old background in the face, failed so damn hard that they realised they can't do that and expect people to stick around? Probably not, to be honest; but even if the Genestealer Cult is GW's last hurrah, at least I'll have something to remember them by.

Doombeard

they are going to start doing the same as AoS for 40k, with free rules etc . so you might get your wish

Doombeard Wrote:
they are going to start doing the same as AoS for 40k, with free rules etc . so you might get your wish

They were going to "do an AoS" on 40K, but the failure of AoS made them realise that would sink the company, and panicked them into desperately seeking some other approach.

Question is, will they keep the free rules and give up on the idea of throwing out the fluff, or in their supposed wisdom decide that it was the free rules that was the problem? That's what I have my doubts about. They know AoS was a failure, and can't possibly allow 40K to fail in the same way. But do they have the wit to understand why it failed, and how to handle 40K differently?

BABIS Wrote:
I loved the genestealers cult back in the days, so sci-fi.. plus the minis were amazing (imho)

Yes! Seconded Cheers!
But $165 for the basic game set???!!

Fuggit Khan Wrote:

BABIS Wrote:

Yes! Seconded Cheers!

To be fair it'd probably be twice as much to get as half as many of the original minis.

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Yes! Seconded Cheers!

Oh, most likely they will pop up on e-bay in a month or so. Or maybe you could buy the game yourself & sell the marines! Besides, the marines themselves are great miniatures!!! 165$ for a full game & 50 highly detailed models is a fair(ish) price i'd say. At least given GW's standards.

Looking at the game, I think GW have made another error by making this a game for pre-existing customers rather than to attract new customers. The price is too high - it's not bad value because you get so many models, but I question why the game has so many in the first place. The game is pretty much marines killing everything very quickly, so they'd rarely be a lack of models just because they get recycled back into the game as they get killed. The variety of marines is also surprising. If they'd simply reduced the number of models down to 75% then they could have a sub-$100 game, the magic number that Americans start giving up on board games as being too expensive. They could have added the remaining 25% as an expansion with more missions.

Bitterman Wrote:

Doombeard Wrote:

They were going to "do an AoS" on 40K, but the failure of AoS made them realise that would sink the company, and panicked them into desperately seeking some other approach.

Question is, will they keep the free rules and give up on the idea of throwing out the fluff, or in their supposed wisdom decide that it was the free rules that was the problem? That's what I have my doubts about. They know AoS was a failure, and can't possibly allow 40K to fail in the same way. But do they have the wit to understand why it failed, and how to handle 40K differently?

Trust me AoS didn't fail in the slightest. It can be seen as cannibalistic as AoS attracts 40k players who are sick of apocalypse style sillyathons with no painted minis. My area had 2 warhammer players last year AoS has about a dozen, not only that but the players are buying much more.

gIL^ Wrote:
Trust me AoS didn't fail in the slightest. It can be seen as cannibalistic as AoS attracts 40k players who are sick of apocalypse style sillyathons with no painted minis. My area had 2 warhammer players last year AoS has about a dozen, not only that but the players are buying much more.

Well, GW management consider it to have failed, which is much more pertinent than either your or my opinion, taken on trust or otherwise. (Though... painted figures? What does that have to do with it? Never mind, not important). 12 guys in your local area don't make up for a massive global drop in sales, when they were hoping for a massive global increase in sales. Sorry.

I'm glad you like the game, and I honestly hope you continue to have fun with it, but it's still failed.

Doombeard

Not wanting to de-rail this thread any further, shouldn't have mentioned the A-word apologies.

lets stay on topic here

Skink Wrote:

Fuggit Khan Wrote:

165$ for a full game & 50 highly detailed models is a fair(ish) price i'd say. At least given GW's standards.

Yes, you're right, the price for that amount of models is (fairly) reasonable. And they are beautiful models. But cornixt explained better what I was thinking in the first place:

cornixt Wrote:
The price is too high - it's not bad value because you get so many models, but I question why the game has so many in the first place. If they'd simply reduced the number of models down to 75% then they could have a sub-$100 game, the magic number that Americans start giving up on board games as being too expensive.

Bingo. Too many models which makes for a prohibitively expensive game for newcomers. My buddy is a Space Hulk fanatic, his arms are covered in Genestealer sleeve tattoo's...but even he says it's too much money, and that he won't be buying it.

Reference URL's