CDO Forums

Full Version: Artisan's Contest XIX - Voting!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

"I've got the beast in my sights!"

Welcome to the voting thread for the 19th Artisan's Contest!

Flora and Fauna of the Dark Lands

How to vote:
Please submit 1 number as a vote by sending a PM to the Staff account (a special account all Staff members can access). We had 5 entries this time, which means each entrant will receive 5 slaves once the winners have been announced.

Each (more or less) anonymous entry is numbered ranging from 1 to 5. You are not allowed to vote for yourself.

Voting will close at 11:59 PM June 23rd, 2016 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone).   Once the votes are tallied we will post the results.

[attachment=5070]<1 [attachment=5071]<2 [attachment=5072]<3 [attachment=5073]<4 [attachment=5074]<5

Entry 1

Entry 2

Entry 3

Entry 4

Entry 5

Remember, the gold winner will receive the following prize, courtesy of Grimstonefire!

Great job everyone and good luck!
The Staff
Entry 4 - It fits the theme best.

I guess it's from ...(I know who you are)... Looks like his style.

Entry 5 was also a nice choice(it's well built and painted) but I can't find a good reason why such a creature should/could live in a lava stream. Daemon offspring - nah.

I don't want to step on anybody's feet but the others are to sci-fi. And I guess they aren't really supposed to reflect the Flora and Fauna of the Dark Lands theme. They are just a cheap borrowing solution from another game system.
I think this comp could have benefited from each entry being accompanied by a short description to help put it in context.  As is a couple of the entries are hard to see as Dark Lands natives.

@ Herby: obviously number 5 lives there because there are no dungeons for it to be a treasure chest in nearby Tongue Wink
I feel the need to name them all, it might help me choose.

No1 = Its a Ghoul-Wolf or a Grabba-Ghoul
No2 = The Brain Bug from Starship Troopers
No3 = Hmmm.  A Tusked Rock Bear
No4 = Gotta be a Crinoid (Dr Who & Seeds of Doom with Tom Baker)
No5 = The Bitey Bridge.
I really like all of these entries...some really caught me off guard, I never would of thought of these idea's. Really, really good entries.
I'm guessing the first one is (based on the wall in the back) outside a Chaos Dwarf city, with green toxic waste being dumped into a dead forest? Pretty clever and nicely framed pics Cheers!
And #5 is astounding! Super cool and creative. Best. Painted. Lava. Ever. @Abecedar: "Bitey Bridge" Hahaha!  Happy

I can't guess who the entrants are in any of these...

And nerd alert: FYI, the Brain Bug design from the Starship Troopers movie was actually stolen from a Fantasy series (ended up in court, with Tri-Star pictures being sued and forced to settle out of court)

I'm at a complete loss for choosing only three...this will be tough.
Well done everybody Takes Hat off
Some of the seemingly sci-fi-ish entries might actually turn out to be more appropriate for fantasy than expected. See the post-winner presentations. Wink

And I see now why a quick 25 word description for each entry would have been virtuous... It was an exceptional solution once for an invent-a-character contest given how we otherwise let the pictures speak for themselves, but it's a solution that might warrant frequent use in Artisan's ahead given the creative concept vein of the contest.

Anyhow, each and every one of the entries is inventive to say the least. Few in number, but making up for it in quality. Good work everyone!

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
I'm at a complete loss for choosing only three...this will be tough.

Reminder: With five entries, we don't choose 3 this time. That's an option for when entries are more numerous in contests. This time we get to pick but one (1) entry for voting. Happy

Admiral Wrote:
Reminder: With five entries, we don't choose 3 this time. That's an option for when entries are more numerous in contests. This time we get to pick but one (1) entry for voting. Happy

Whaaaaaaaaat? Oh no!
My bad, I did not read that tidbit...I just looked at all the pretty pictures Wink

One vote it is then Hashut!

Pics or bust! Tongue Wink
Beautiful entries, and some completely brilliant ideas!  Few in number but great quality.  Clearly some thought and hard work went into these, so great job to all of the entrants!  Cheers! Takes Hat off

The bug fits well in my opinion.  Lots of Rocks and hidey holes in wastes and lava fields... wouldn't want to turn over a rock and find that massive thing looking at me.
The awesome little details, tiny lava skylights, extra fauna, and scenic bases on these show lots of thought and add a ton to the final pieces.  Brilliant use of materials on #4!

One in particular caught my eye immediately, so I know my vote, though there is a close second.

Abecedar Wrote:

Nah, the Tusked Sludge-squig.

As for the bug, could work if it's massively out of scale and represents a tick or louse that lives on slaves.

Dînadan Wrote:

Abecedar Wrote:

Nah, the Tusked Sludge-squig.

Squig-Bearasaur?

Dînadan Wrote:
As for the bug, could work if it's massively out of scale and represents a tick or louse that lives on slaves.

That's why they are known as a house-louse (it's a reference to size).  I can hear the argument between the poor goblin that gets one of those on his leg... and his companion... looking up at the louse... "well we can burn it off..."

Looks like the things from Naussica.

Jackswift Wrote:

Dînadan Wrote:

That's why they are known as a house-louse (it's a reference to size).  I can hear the argument between the poor goblin that gets one of those on his leg... and his companion... looking up at the louse... "well we can burn it off..."

Nah, I meant more along the lines of the mini being 1:1 scale rather than 28mm scale Wink

Happy
Entries are supposed (= must be) anonymous until the vote is over...
My one, single, lonely, all by itself vote has been cast.
Good work everybody, all of these are great entries and worthy of votes Cheers!

cornixt Wrote:
Looks like the things from Naussica.

#2 is definitely one of them

That armoured rat in entry No 1 moves.

Choosing for this one was harder than I thought it would be
Last day to vote folks!

As for anonymity breach here, no worries. Everyone's a beginner at everything to start with, and this isn't the first or the last beginner's breach in post to get removed. A participant of the latest Golden Hat missed something similar and posted an early WIP log update with his entry. Unlike now, I wasn't as busy then and happened to be online. Saw it within minutes and picked it down pronto, no damage done. That entry went on to win a shiny medal. Anyhow...

May the most revolting monstrosity win! Tongue
I nearly missed this. My voting is in!

TheHoodedMan Wrote:
I nearly missed this. My voting is in!

How could you...................

Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's