CDO Forums

Full Version: Norscan army on the tabletop???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys! CA has recently announced Norsca as the next faction for Total War Warhammer, and I started asking myself whether it would be possible to replicate them on the tabletop. Now, of course Warriors of Chaos spring to mind to achieve such a task, but they are too heavily armored, and they don´t have anything that is big enough to represent Mammoths.

Then it hit me, you could field Norsca as Orcs and Goblins! In fact, greenskins are perfect to convey a force of savage, hard hitting warriors with average-to-low armor, monsters, and...poor leadership! Here is what I am thinking:

Frostwyrm ---> Wyvern
Skinwolves ---> Cave Trolls
Ice Trolls ---> River Trolls
Marauder heavy cavalry ---> Boars (or Skinwolves on a 50x50 base?)
Marauder horsemen/horselords ---> Wolf riders / Spiders
Marauders ---> Orcs
Marauder Champions ---> Black Orcs
Valkyries ---> Big Uns
Berserkers ---> Savage Orcs
Mammoths ---> Arachnarok Spiders
Flying Drakkars / Marauder Chariots---> Chariots
Norscan Giant ---> Giant

Then again, there are LOTS of companies out there that produce Barbarian and Viking miniatures... And a couple that make Mammoths too! Man, I am seriously tempted at trying this. However, how would you guys proxy Goblins and Warmachines in a Norscan army?
Here on this old site you can see an awesome Norsemen Army!

Link

Btw. the guy from the "Warhammer Armies Projekt" has made rulebooks for the 8th Edition Warhammer and for the 9th Age.

Here is the link to his site.

Hashut!
Yes, yes, i know that army! It is really well done! Also, I am aware of the Warhammer Armies project, but I think that it would be difficult to find opponents that are cool with using them rules...

Boar Boyz = Elk cavalry
Orc Arrer Boyz = Whalers
Orc Chariot = Goat chariot, courtesy of Thor
Goblin Chariot = Cat chariot, courtesy of Freya
Rock Lobba = Boulder-throwing giant (who else put the boulders out there in the first place?)
Huscarls = Black Orcs, or Norse Dwarfs.

One could possibly shoehorn Norse Dwarfs into the mix, if one wish to. But not as Goblins!

And a mounted army general better be seated upon an eight-legged horse.

I think you have the right idea here, Skink. Sure, WoC is the go-to list, but as you say they don't sport Mammoth-equivalent proxies, and it's a bit wasted to put up vikings in full plate armour.
I think that this would work well as a Rock Lobba. And probably a Jotunn throwing a spear would be a passable Spear Chukka. Still, I have no idea about how to proxy goblins. I mean, an Orc army is absolutely viable, but stuff like Fanatics are WAY too good to pass... Maybe Frostlings could be an idea? They look like a pain in the bum to convert though. Somebody painted goblins in a blue skin tone, and gave them a snowy base. Looks good I have to say!
What happened to the rules for the Forgeworld model of the Chaos War Mammoth? Norscans are pretty much just Chaos, it seems a bit weird to use them otherwise Just feature fewer warriors and more barbarians if you don't like the armour.

cornixt Wrote:
What happened to the rules for the Forgeworld model of the Chaos War Mammoth? Norscans are pretty much just Chaos, it seems a bit weird to use them otherwise Just feature fewer warriors and more barbarians if you don't like the armour.

Mammoths and Skinwolves are not present in the 9th age (unfortunately Sad )... Also, even though you could proxy Berserkers or Valkyries as some Warrior or Chaos units (probably marked ones), the whole army would be very weak and boring to play... Again, I reckon that the Orcs and Goblins book would be perfect to represent how Norscans fight, and it would provide lots and lots of modeling possibilities to field some very interesting units!

Ah, I thought you were doing 8th edition judging by the unit names. Berserkers are an actual unit in 9th age Chaos already. Plenty of units that could be skinwolves, depending on the base size you want, but if the mammoth is your must-have then your only option would be to have it be Chimera-size and use those rules.

I have no idea how an O&G army would play without the Gs. Could make them snow goblins or something and paint them blue, but they might look a bit too much like smurfs. Or just have them as gnomes, they would fit a Scandinavian feel.

cornixt Wrote:
but if the mammoth is your must-have...

Yeeeep! It absolutely is Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin!

cornixt Wrote:
I have no idea how an O&G army would play without the Gs.

Well, just without Goblin Infantry. Cavalry, artillery and Squigs are relatively easy to represent! You think that an army consisting in mostly Savage Orcs (Berserkers), Orc Archers (Huscarls), and Black Orcs (Marauder Champions) would be too weak? Even when supported by monsters and artillery?

cornixt Wrote:
Could make them snow goblins or something and paint them blue, but they might look a bit too much like smurfs. Or just have them as gnomes, they would fit a Scandinavian feel.

Ha, the smurf thing was brilliant, thank you for the late evening joke Happy ... Regarding the gnomes, that´s actually a very good idea!!!

Zanko Wrote:
Here on this old site you can see an awesome Norsemen Army!

Link

Btw. the guy from the "Warhammer Armies Projekt" has made rulebooks for the 8th Edition Warhammer and for the 9th Age.

Here is the link to his site.

Hashut!

Wow, thanks for sharing that is a great looking army.

Little known fact there were 12 armies for 3rd Edition WFB, one of them being a Norse list that appeared in White Dwarf. Sadly, the list has no mammoth dead , how that is possible I don't know.

http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/2014...wd107.html

Willmark Wrote:
Little known fact there were 12 armies for 3rd Edition WFB, one of them being a Norse list that appeared in White Dwarf. Sadly, the list has no mammoth dead , how that is possible I don't know.

Thank you for sharing that Will! I reckon that if I will ever undertake this project I will use Huscarls/Whalers as Orc Archers, and... I actually had three different ideas for Goblins:

1 ) I could proxy them as Norscan Dwarfs (maybe a long lost clan hailing from Kraka Drak who settled in the Gianthome Mountains and turned to Chaos worship),

2 ) They are Gnomes, aka a race of people warped into malevolent midgets by the powers of Chaos. These guys would be just perfect to represent them,

3 ) Trollkin, aka little Trolls hailing from Throgg´s court in Troll Country. For this purpose, West wind productions´ Goblins look like miniature Warhammer Trolls...

What do you guys think? They could work right? Also, how would you represent Throgg in an O&G list?

Ah yes, gnomes. You could have tomtar as Goblins. Big Grin

Your ideas for Goblin proxies are all sound and well (although I'd always like to see any kind of Dwarfs with elite stats). Should be sufficiently grimdark and thematic for that grim dark north. The best thing of all is that there are several different types of Goblins, allowing you to include all your ideas as different strains of Goblin stats. Go for it!
Its pretty much what the Varangur are in Kings of War, if thats of your interest... Happy

Admiral Wrote:
Ah yes, gnomes. You could have tomtar as Goblins. Big Grin

Your ideas for Goblin proxies are all sound and well (although I'd always like to see any kind of Dwarfs with elite stats). Should be sufficiently grimdark and thematic for that grim dark north. The best thing of all is that there are several different types of Goblins, allowing you to include all your ideas as different strains of Goblin stats. Go for it!

I think the problem with "gnomes" in fantasy is because of their il-defined role because of AD&D.

I get they have a different meaning in Nordic folklore but in terms of fantasy they are either milquetoast or guarding someone's flower beds when it comes to popular imgaination.

Indeed, Willmark. That is why I think Warcraft's version of crazy technology freaks with high pitched voices and immoral experiments with a tendency for backfiring chaos is a perfect rendition of fantasy Gnomes.
Reference URL's