CDO Forums

Full Version: Nippon army
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well basically i got bored of brettonians very quickly and went to nippon. now your thinking how? well if you find the right scale minitures and use a current armies rules why not?

first the minitures, but thats the easy part, theres no better 28mm samuris than http://www.perry-miniatures.com/ the guys who still work at gamesworkshop and were basically the creators of warhammer make these and they fit into warhammer very well, now some piccys

quite a lot of images., there truly great images and now i finally get to use my cathey dragon. you might remember this from HoH

you can find these minis at http://www.perry-miniatures.com

now what army book?, well i think im going with high elves for the dragons and sword masters, and the rule to go first will go well with these guys, so im thinking 3 units of 20 Samurai's ( swordmasters of holth ) and my dragon, basically make 2000. what you guys think?
holy sweet mother of cows.thows are so cool.
Or you go to http://www.darkshadowgames.com and download a copy of the Army of Nippon PDF. Written for 6th, but it should work.

And oh yeah, I wrote it Happy
Those are one of my buddies SRs.
Nippon is a cool idea, the good thing is also that you can probably pretty much play it using these miniatures and the rules of the Brettonian army.
i was leaning towards using empire but samuris are supposed to be the best and fastest warriors in the middle ages, so im liking the high elf route, but the guns want me to go  empire.

what about high elf and kislev? high elf just for the sword masters
Well quite honestly the fluff doesn't say anything about Samurai so far, so we can't be sure a Nippon army would actually even have an equivalent to them. I also don't think they should be anything near the stats of high elves.
The simplest thing to do is probably just use the Empire/DoW list to play them.

Love the Perry miniatures too, gIL^.  Those guys made some of my favourite old GW figures and they're still going strong.
I think you should go ahead and use the High Elf list - after all you are doing fantasy Nippon, not historical Japan and you want your samurai to be the overblown TV/movie style - not the real thing (bullying peasants, engaging in a mutant version of Chinese ritualistic warfare, and easily defeated on mass unless fighting each other)
I think an army based on Empire/DoW rules would work best as Wallacer notes.

Father Grumpmas Wrote:
I think you should go ahead and use the High Elf list - after all you are doing fantasy Nippon, not historical Japan and you want your samurai to be the overblown TV/movie style - not the real thing (bullying peasants, engaging in a mutant version of Chinese ritualistic warfare, and easily defeated on mass unless fighting each other)

Historically
Irespective thing is that Japan held Korea for a time and bits of China as well. Not sure what period. Also a Katana (Japanese Sword) is both better at cutting and at stabbing than the Dao (Chinese Broadsword) or the Chinese Straight sword and before anyone disputes this, it has been scientifically tested by both the Chinese Wushu team and the Japanese National cutting champions.

Yes bullying was present but some peasants went on to become Ninjas, also captives were tested on to find weak-points on the human body and to test the keeness of the edge of the sword (kinda kool)

As for warfare they just ran in a line sideways, which respectably wasn't a good idea when the enemy is running towards you but regardless of this the Samurai lasted as a Warrior Class longer than any other until carrying swords was out-lored and lived by an hinourable code (most didn't follow but some did) and Sepukku still exists (ritual suicide) and they had the greatest swordsman ever Musashi Miyamoto (can't spell)

I have always seen Nippon as the "Brettonia of the east" Heavy Cavalry with  ill-treated peasants and DoW Duellists as Rare Choice (if Brettonia is allowed DoW anymore)

Also this is a fact, a company of Vietnemese soliders armed in the armour and dress of Samurai and using bows and spears managed to suceed in clearing a landing zone of American soldiers which had Guns, Grenades etc. They did it by hiding in tall-grass and ambushing them at close quarters. Such old tactics dating back to the Tokagawa period in Japan.

Which is why you should look at the pdf of my army list that I wrote for Nippon... Happy

They are under the wargaming tab:
http://darkshadowgames.com/index.htm
ive decided to go with empire with a kislev contingent of about 650, rest being empire maybe my rare slots will take up the rockets
Bretonians don't have any decent infantry - be a shame not to use those foot samurai. Perry minatures are the right scale, but they are "in proportion" like lord of the rings minis, so they look a bit wierd next to WFB minis
For Peasants, Men at Arms with a little conversion could do the trick.
I'd still go with Empire or chaos personally

Baggronor Wrote:
In particular I seem to remember the Mongols giving every other country they encountered a good kicking and the Japanese were the only ones to send them packing....twice.

Well that was only because the Mongols had quite bad luck with the weather once their troops hat set sail to Japan and the heavenly winds (Kami-Kaze) destroyed their fleets. Had the Mongols reached Japan in full force, it would have been a much different story. Just as a sidenote. ^^

However fate, luck or whatever you want to call it seems to work in strange way. Great book I have is called: What if? Counter-factual Military history. One that is amazing is the chapter on the American Revolution. So many times the cause was on the brink of diaster...
I did my Nipponese army based on the DOW list. But as has been said here many times before - go with what you want. When I was looking around for inspiration I got a bit sick of the fantasy vs reality arguments, both are valid - it's YOU that has to play the army every week, so ignore anyone that tells you that the swords on your models are too short/curved/on fire.

If you're interested here's links to my army:
General
paymaster
wizard 1
wizard 2
Samurai cavalry
Pikemen
Crossbowmen
Ninja
Samurai Fast cavalry
Sumo ogres
Monks
Ninja maneater
Giant
Cannon

(the floating Buddhist giant should sum up how realistic I went)
Awesome stuff Dude!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's