CDO Forums

Full Version: Golden Hat #7 - Painting Competition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think ill pass this one as well. I have loads of other stuff im working on at the moment (an Iron Warrior army and my second unit of Grey Knights) so i wont have the time or the skill.

I cant wait to see the entries though! Its going to be interesting.
Ishkur, it means a minimum of 2 models and a maximum of 6 models. This is to be within a cube with sides of 15cm each. The models needn't be enemies as it could be a trade occurring between, say, Chaos dwarfs and Archaon or something.

Annoyingly, it wasn't all that long ago that I made a cool diorama (poorly painted though) without a CD in it Big Grin Still, it simply means I get another chance Big Grin Now, if only my current idea can be applied... Also, what else to include... *wanders off thinking*
If people are wary of making a "diorama" I encourage you to simply paint two models on regular bases and fit them into a small themed base. Happy

Snotling Wrote:
hm, diorama? i think this GH will be without me again, i don't like dioramas Happy
i like the GH, because you can enter with the minis of your army. if it is about creating a sorcerer, you add a new sorcerer to your army, if it's about slave, make a new slave unit, so the the army grows with every GH. for a diorama i would have to stop my army project, even if i just build a scenic base to glue some minis on Happy
i thought, the idea behind the first GHs was, to make something "new" to inspire the community how to convert and evolve the new Chaosdwarfs. so why a diorama, why no Bull Centaures or Warmaschines? even terrain would be more inspiring...
but hey, i don't want to complain, it's just my humble opinion. love the GH and will watch this one with great interesst, like allways...
good luck Takes Hat off

I totally agree. Thats why i always suggest a unit or a rank of something or a warmachine so i was quite dissapointed by the diorama decision when there was a thread asking everyone what they wanted for the next GH and the results were a war machine or bull centaurs. Im not really complaining either as im painting 40k instead of fantasy at the moment and i think that this gh will have a lot of cool entries, just probably not as many as the previous ones.

It seems that many people cannot see the forest for the trees!  I must say I am disappointed that people cannot get beyond the "diorama" aspect of this competition.  I thought both Grim and I explained how easy it was to enter the competition using miniatures that you WILL use in your army.

I am not sure how else to explain how to make a duel without repeating myself, but it frankly seems necessary.

Let me give an example of a possible entry I could make:

Xander's Mind Wrote:
Hrm... I really need a metal sorcerer for my army, it would be nice if the Golden Hat could motivate me to do this!

A duel?! Cool, I can create my metal sorcerer for my army and put him on a normal slotta base, and then place him on a small scenic base where he can be attacking some other foe!  I'll just slot him in the scenic base like I would a warmachine crewman onto a base holding a warmachine, and I can still remove him when I need to use him in my army.  

Yay!

Hopefully this doesn't sound condescending or anything!  Perhaps people are reading the first post of this thread and nothing else... in which case I will update the first page with the above!

Happy

Now let's see an entry SNOTLING AND PYRO! We'll have no more of your mamby-pamby excuses! Wink

Pyro Stick Wrote:
I totally agree. Thats why i always suggest a unit or a rank of something or a warmachine so i was quite dissapointed by the diorama decision...

For your entry you could have a rank of 5 Chaos Dwarfs  placed on a scenic base attacking a Troll, or an Ogre, or a Slayer.

You could have a war machine crew and war machine placed on a scenic base as the crew defend the war machine from some Harpies, or Daemons.  The Daemons find the daemon-bound war machine to be an abomination, and are trying to ransack it to help their brethren escape!

The possibilities are virtually endless.

Use your creativity! Cheers!

I stand by my excuse! I would much rather paint a sorceror or a warmachine on its own and concentrate on its paint job than have to worry about making it into a diorama and include a fancy base (...apart from my mages) and models interacting with each other when its never going to be used as a diorama, apart from this gh, ever again. It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition. I actually do have an idea for an entry so i may still enter. But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

Pyro Stick Wrote:
It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition.

How can the Glory of Hashut be pointless? This website is about showing off how cool Chaos Dwarfs can be!  The Golden Hat is a showcase of excellent talent and creativity.  It's not merely an endeavour to facilitate creation of your own army, thought it certainly can be used as such.  Part of the idea of this topic is to show Chaos Dwarfs as they relate to other species in the Warhammer world.  In essence, the theme is to show that Chaos Dwarfs belong in Warhammer, and we are going to show it!  Much of purpose of this website is to promote the acceptance of Chaos Dwarfs to non-Chaos Dwarf players. We want to raise consciousness! We want to say, "Look at these Chaos Dwarfs taking on a Stone Troll!" or "Look at that Herald of Khorne fighting that Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer!" or "Look at that Chaos Dwarf Lord taming that Khorne Juggernaut!" Chaos Dwarfs interacting with other armies and races is what Golden Hat #7 is all about, and I just know we are going to see some very fine entries conveying this theme.

Duels and Open categories have been a part of Golden Demon for a long while. And neither one explicitly requires conversion work.  If you can make a model on a base, you can make ground for the duelers to stand on. Pick two (or more) models that you think look like they could be engaged in a stand off, and paint them up, then make room for them on a larger base.  None of that requires any conversion work beyond deciding what to place the heroes on.

Hopefully I have convinced you of the merit of this topic. Happy

Pyro Stick Wrote:
But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

We did consider that. And we have many GH competitions yet to come. But there are larger goals at CDO than just motivating people to make things for their army.  We also want to inspire people. Have people push their skills.  Show of what our community is capable of.  Ask not what CDO can do for you, ask what you can do for CDO! Anyone can just paint a war machine, or a rank of Blunderbussers, they don't need a competition to do that.  But to have a Blunderbusser firing shrapnel at an Orc Warlord, ripping bits of flesh off him? That takes a little extra community effort.

Happy

You dn't even HAVE to make a terrain base. Just position two models within the space limit and take the picture or place on a movement tray or make a scenic base which you later put your favoruite bolt thrower on or something. Also, as for saying the interacting models is putting people off: use the BfSP troll, stick a blunderbusser facing it's front and it looks like it's throwing the stone at him and getting shot at... Both can then later be used in the army..
I'm surprised to see so many people disliking this idea (not that your opinions are wrong, I just thought it'd be warmed tomuch more).

I hope those that aren't entering reconsider because their work is very nice...

On that note: I understand about those that lack time as well.

Pyro Stick Wrote:
I stand by my excuse! I would much rather paint a sorceror or a warmachine on its own and concentrate on its paint job than have to worry about making it into a diorama and include a fancy base (...apart from my mages) and models interacting with each other when its never going to be used as a diorama, apart from this gh, ever again. It just seems quite pointless. It becomes less of a Painting Competition and more of a converting and base building skills competition. I actually do have an idea for an entry so i may still enter. But next time its obvious what most people want to do for the next gh, consider just going with that.

Kera foehunter Wrote:
Take one star off sojorn !!!!!!for talking about election!!!!!! it non stop all the time bull.
Making me go mad!!!!!!!!!!will trade places with some one  
Well it sad that people are dropping out . but it great for some of lesses artist!!!

She's talking about the Canadian Election, not your American one. Takes Hat off

Sojourn, effectively, that's what i was saying without the effort of drawing and/or crumpling Wink

Join in Tongue
Not had time to work on this so far due to university and moving in etc.  However, I'm quite sure I know what I'm going to do Wink
The way I look at it is this.  This is a Chaos Dwarf forum, people are looking to see Chaos Dwarfs, and will likely vote on models that look Chaos Dwarfy.  So if this Black Orc clearly belongs to a Chaos Dwarf army, it will look good to most people. Happy
I need to get painting too, my conversions are mostly done. Happy
I don;t think I'm going to get a set in Sad The move to uni, trying to sort everything out, the lack of funds and unmade models... I'll do what i can, but I'm not sure it;ll be able to be entered. See how it goes...
Meany Tongue
Send them to Golden Hat when they're done. Which we know they are. Sorry all, I'm out Sad

EDIT: Stupid RL.
Suprisingly, Ive finished an entry as well.
I have my figures primes and my base set to go.  I am going to try to plow through the painting this week. Happy
So how many people entered in the end?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's