CDO Forums

Full Version: 7 words that'made me cry.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the local games workshop store is closing.

it's so sad, but here's one good think. CLOSING SALES!!!
If it was like when they move the one in NJ they probably won't have a sale. They'll just transfer the product to another store.
our local GW is gone at the end of January too... but I haven't heard of any sales... bastages
Where are these stores closing? I tried doing a search on Google but found no mention of GW store closings.
They said in their yearly report last year that they were going to be closing stores that were under performing.
That would be standard buisness pratice with all companies. If it's not making a certain amount above cost it's not worth keeping open.

The funn thing was that  was told at one time that GW stores are more advertising than sales. So they were less worried about profit at the store level than other companies. They said that they really just wanted them to make rent and employee costs.

BilboBaggins Wrote:
That would be standard buisness pratice with all companies. If it's not making a certain amount above cost it's not worth keeping open.

The funn thing was that  was told at one time that GW stores are more advertising than sales. So they were less worried about profit at the store level than other companies. They said that they really just wanted them to make rent and employee costs.

I can see that. Games workshop stores tend to be more flash or noticable than even the more flashy independent seller's stores. They're good for getting noticed, if not exactly for getting the gamers in there. However, I still wish they'd give more support for the independent LGS, at least since they pulled the "GW Outrider" program.

Most of their stores are only to recruit people into the game. If you notice the list of stores in White Dwarf the ones with battle bunkers are supposed to be the gamers stores. They should really help the independents set up bunkers in areas they haven't set them up themselves.
Nearest GW store to me is about 3 hour's drive off, so they don't affect me all that much... might be nice to have one here in town, but it's been proven that this city can pretty much support only one FLGS(we've had more than one in the past, and none of them lasted long).  Now, if only the FLGS carried more GW stuff than it does...

How does a GW store compare to a "normal" FLGS?  I've heard both good and bad, and the overall impression I get seems to be pretty mediocre...
I used to work at our local Independent GW affiliated store and I was talking with my replacement about a year ago. He told me that GW was cutting support to the local stores and shifting their focus to their own stores. He also told me that the owners of our local establishment were a bit concerned about GW's business practices. They had encountered several instances where independent stores that were selling high volume of their product and so GW decided to open their own stores in very near the same location. This occurred at the same time that GW increased minimum order sized for independent retailers and cut much of their support. I talked with the owners of the local gaming store and they were pretty pissed off with GW as their order size had gone up, their margin was one of the lowest items in their retail store. Looking at it over time their GW product sales were not particularly profitable, but they wanted to continue to supply the product because it was still a large part of gaming.

It is another example of GW shooting themselves in the foot (BANG, for effect) by showing a degree of hostility toward it's independent retailers, consumers, and fans. How does a company like this stay in business? I run a small business and I would be hanging in the breeze if I showed 1/100 as much contempt toward my customers.

Maul Wrote:
I used to work at our local Independent GW affiliated store and I was talking with my replacement about a year ago. He told me that GW was cutting support to the local stores and shifting their focus to their own stores. He also told me that the owners of our local establishment were a bit concerned about GW's business practices. They had encountered several instances where independent stores that were selling high volume of their product and so GW decided to open their own stores in very near the same location. This occurred at the same time that GW increased minimum order sized for independent retailers and cut much of their support. I talked with the owners of the local gaming store and they were pretty pissed off with GW as their order size had gone up, their margin was one of the lowest items in their retail store. Looking at it over time their GW product sales were not particularly profitable, but they wanted to continue to supply the product because it was still a large part of gaming.

It is another example of GW shooting themselves in the foot (BANG, for effect) by showing a degree of hostility toward it's independent retailers, consumers, and fans. How does a company like this stay in business? I run a small business and I would be hanging in the breeze if I showed 1/100 as much contempt toward my customers.

I think you hit it on the nose without knowing it. They're a big company, they can afford to make mistakes.

I also remember the above from a few years back when GW was first starting to cut their funding to the LGSs. They used to do things like match or even supply the prizes given out in our gamin leagues. Things started to change, as all things do.

However, having only had a single GW store in my area for at leats 8 years (and even that one is a bit out of the way for the majority of the gamers in the Metroplex area) I haven't heard of or seen GW opening stores in high volume sell areas. Again, with only one GW store in the Dallas/FT Worth/Addison/Arlington Metroplex area here in Texas, you'd think we'd have seen quite a few more if that were really the case considering our gaming community size. Though we do have the only GW Outrider in the entire Region.

Perhaps in areas where there's high volume of sales and zero GW store representation? After all, why open a store in an area that has an unknown gaming community size when you can drop one next to an already tapped gaming community. Of course, I and most of the gamers I've talked to agree that GW stores are good for three things; Returning stuff, very slightly larger selections, and talking to red shirts (which is always of dubious quality).

I guess I'll add all these complaints to the agenda if I was rich enough to buy GW.
Nearest store to me is 70 miles away, I'm not worried about it, as time goes by the only thing I need from GW is the rules, they have so alienated me as a customer I have no real loyalty to them.
I have two GW stores, Philadelphia, PA (Franklin Mills) and Echelon, NJ in a 20 minute drive. Franklin Mills has the Bunker so I go there most. I haven't been in the Echelon store since it moved from the Cherry Hill Mall a long while ago.

I have played at other places like Hobby Town USA in West Chester, PA and the Encounter in Bethlehem, PA. Unfortunately the Encounter stopped dealing with GW and doesn't have tables anymore.

I've been joking with a friend on an RC site about starting a Hobby Shop.  I'm thinking if it worked make it a chain, that would be like a combination of Hobby Town USA, GW (Bunker), and AC Moore/Michaels (crafts) in a Home Depot/Walmart size space. Craft stores were one of the few making money last year. Even put a small food court in it. Happy Now to find the rich uncle to get the start up funds from.
My local store although not a GW store is instead reducing alot of there products by about £10 for most things hope there not closing Big Grin
are local store in fairborn  has double  it sell new and news armys and stuff
Viskar you should  go see it some time

BilboBaggins Wrote:
Where are these stores closing? I tried doing a search on Google but found no mention of GW store closings.

The first store was the GW stoney point store in Richmond VA and the second is GW Potomac Mills in Woodbridge VA..

I'm suprised about the Potomac Mills store.
Well, that store is closing due to rent issues.. I think the Mills malls tried to play hardball and GW said, meh, we'll put a store elsewhere..  I will miss that GW store, as I worked there for all but 1 of my 7 years as a GW employee, I spent the other one in Springfield.   It's also literally 7 mins from my house.. Now, I have to go to Springfield if I want a GW store.
Yeah they said that in a re-read of their annual report, better to put those in open air malls (strip malls as they are know here the States everyone).
Reference URL's