CDO Forums

Full Version: Artisan's Contest #4 - War Machine Rules Competition!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Welcome all to Artisan’s IV!

After our extensive requests for feedback we have decided to run this Artisans as a rules based competition.  Future ones may or may not be similar; perhaps we will see some terrain next time.

What to enter?

The theme for this Artisans is to write a complete rules set for a Chaos Dwarf themed war machine.  Those who made an entry for the last Golden Hat could have some fun here...

To be more specific, it is important that people consider these machines in a similar context.  A war machine that may be appropriate for Warhammer Armies:  Chaos Dwarfs may be stupendously unbalanced if considered in the context of the Ravening Hordes list.  So to try and be even handed we want people to think of a Regiment of Renown war machine, so that it could be used in addition to WA: CD or RH (but NOT part of the main list).

Being a Regiment of Renown, we should expect to see some characterfull fluff as your machine may be one of a kind!

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is 30th April 2009 11:59pm EST.  That’s a whole month!

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once, and with one war machine per entry.

Seeing as it would be all too easy to present ‘cool’ rules that are seriously unbalanced, this competition has to have a fair few more rules than usual:

You MUST have the following per entry:

1.  Basic points cost (the base cost before all upgrades or options)
2.  A profile for the war machine (see below for formatting).
3.  At least 1 crew, who must have a profile and equipment listed.  This cannot be a lord or hero level character, but can be 'mounted' (without a seperate base), effectively making the 'war machine' a monster.  Chariot type monsters can be included as well.  If you go down the route of a 'crew' mounted monster, you must include a base size.
4.  Unit Strength (only if different to number of crew remaining).
5.  Number of choices taken (i.e. 1 special, 1 core, 1 rare + 1 hero etc).
6.  If the war machine makes a ranged attack the rules for this must be described in the Bestiary section.
7.  If it is pulled/pushed by anything these also need a profile listed (i.e. the equivalent of horses/ beasts of burden).

If your entry does not include all the above by the closng deadline it will not be included.

You may include 0 - 4 Optional upgrades (aka ‘Options’) per entry, these can be for either war machine or crew (or split between them), but they must each have a points cost.  If the upgrade involves adding an additional crew member with a different profile to the existing ones it must have a profile listed.  I left a line underneath the main crew ones for this.

You cannot include lord or hero level characters (or special characters).

NO ART OR MODEL PHOTOS are allowed.

Concerning Monsters and Handlers
To keep this simple we are not allowing people to create 'war machines' using the monsters and handlers rules.

How to Enter?

Seeing as lining up all the code and making things bold etc could be hard to do without first creating a thread, you can submit your entry by an email attachment to cdostaff@hotmail.co.uk.  You must have your CDO user name in the title or text of your message so we know who you are!

I have attached the proforma I'd like everyone to use below.  If you all use this we can very quickly proof read and assemble into a decent looking pdf for the judging to begin.

Bestiary 1 and List must both be completed, if you need to go onto the second page for the bestiary bit please use Bestiary 2.  If anyone needs to go onto a second page for the list part let me know.

How will this be judged?

On 1st May we will create a thread whereby people can openly discuss the merits or problems with each entry as they see fit.  The people who made the entries can then answer any questions people have, but they cannot edit their entry.  After a week of open discussion we will have a 10 day timed poll to decide the winner(s).

If there are more than 10 entries there will be Silver and Bronze Artisan's medals.

Judging a rules based competition is unlike any other sort of judging, it requires people to use both common sense and their gaming knowledge and experience to find the strengths and weaknesses of every entry.

To help people with this we have designed a list of categories that people should use to help them decide.  Note that we have listed all the things as being equally as important.

• Use of Language (is it professionally written?): /10
  • Playability (are the rules streamlined?): /10
  • Balance (are the rules and points fair and do they adhere to typical GW design?): /10
  • Fun (do the rules make for a fun experience?): /10
  • Lore (are the rules fluffy and do they fit the character of the Chaos Dwarfs?): /10

NOTE:  Playtesting feedback should not be something that will be judged.  Anyone can claim to have playtested things, and we are not all in a position to playtest at a moment's notice. Wink
Are we allowed to make rules for the 3rd edition War Machines like the Siege Cannon and the Juggernaut? They never had any official rules so i dont see why not but you are saying we have to think of a regiment of renown war machine.
Think of it like a RoR yes, meaning the unit type would be a rare thing. Just treat them as if they are unique/rare unit and not abundant.
It has to have at least one crew (with a seperate profile).  If you can do a kollossus with a pilot crew then you can include it.  We cannot have machines without crew as they are effectively monsters (which may be a theme for another Artisans... and golden hat).

It doesn't have to be an artillery war machine, there are plenty of ways to include close combat... Happy

Damn, thought of something else to add to the rules:

If it is pulled/pushed by anything these also need a profile listed (i.e. the equivalent of horses/ beasts of burden).
I am inclined to agree with Thommy.  What do you think, Grim?
The rules state that a war machine 'usually' consists of two to four crewmen.  So it is possible to have a single crew member.  The issue here being them 'mounted' on it, as opposed to on a seperate base.

You are right about the ridden monsters & chariot distinction.  Neither of these are literally 'war machines', even though they may look like it.  

I managed to get round that one in the GH by enforcing a two crew minimum Wink (fortunately nobody made a chariot).  But as I'm hoping to get as many people as possible entering this I think we should make a compromise and say that you can do either of these as long as there are no Lord/ hero level characters involved.

Fluffwise this effectively means they are crew and not character mounts.  Rules wise they would still be treated as monsters.

So to clarify (what I will ammend the rules to).

3.  At least 1 crew, who must have a profile and equipment listed.  This cannot be a lord or hero level character, but can be 'mounted' (without a seperate base), effectively making the 'war machine' a monster.  Chariot type monsters can be included as well.  If you go down the route of a 'crew' mounted monster, you must include a base size.

We don't need to allow monsters and handlers rules to allow this I don't think.  So that stays the same.
Jolpis asked a valid question I'll answer here as well.

He asked whether any part of the crew can have a 'look out sir' rule.  As I ammended the rules to not allow any lord/hero/special characters it means no, you can't.  So a single Chaos Dwarf surrounded by a horde of goblins does not count as a character.
I'm afraid I can't access the attached documents - do I need to be able to?
Hopefully i will get an entry done in time. Ive just gotten a job and it takes a lot out of me. Ive started work at a VERY posh restaurant...washing dishes. And they have a hell of a lot of dishes needing washed constantly so i havent had any time for chaos dwarfs, or any of my other hobbies.
I'll try and give this a go, once I've fnally caught up on the forums...
Thanks for starting the Artisan'sWink Was worried ya might not Wink
I've basically finished, but I'm unsure about the format, as I can't access the attachments in the original post.

A little help?
Quick update:

I have recieved entries from
ryanamandaanna
skink
bilbo baggins

So if anyone else thinks they've sent it to the correct address, please try again Wink

It's going to be tight for me to get my entry in, lots to do in the next 2 weeks.
Email sent with (possibly) improperly formatted entry.
Please get back to me asap. Takes Hat off
Just a quick reminder for all those who are tinkering with their ideas.  There are 3 days left to enter

I would have sent this out in an email (CDO monthly #2), but we need to review that idea.  Anyhow.  Now you all know.
Sent my baby in. It's a rumbler...
*looks around*
No? No Grimstone? I get to have a go?

*clears throat, steps up to microphone*
Remember, ladies and germs, you have 1 Day Left to enter your rules - don't miss out of this one!

Send your rules in to cdostaff@hotmail.co.uk asap! That's as-soon-as-possible, for all you Hobgoblins out there!
Im almost finished my entry. Just working on the fluff part.

Btw those documents were an absolute nightmare to open. When i first opened them it was a bunch of boxes so i opened them with a different program and it turned into a few more boxes with a few bits of text. It seemed to work better when i got back to my home computer and used microsoft office.

Thommy H Wrote:
It's supposed to be boxes with text...

I got it working eventually. Well, i think i got it working. My entry has been sent in now so it doesnt really matter anymore

I will try and get the discussion thread open tommorow.  The competition is now closed for entries

Sad to say I did not manage to get my entry finished in time. Sad
I am honest enough to keep it fair Revlid.  Besides, all the staff know the password to the email account... Unsure

The turn out is pretty much as I expected (minus my own entry of course).  Somewhere near 5 or 6, but I think as with most artisans it comes down to quality over quantity.  The way this will be judged, if we had lots more entries it would have taken a bit longer to discuss the merits of them all.

What I am thinking of doing when I create the thread is to remind people of the sorts of things we should be looking for.

All the entrants can then post a replies about how they think their entry meets these (and anything else worth mentionning).  Also answer any questions about things that are not clear.

Remember though that you will be judged on the content of your pdf, so if there are any rules mistakes you cannot correct them later! I may do some small edits for grammer/ spelling etc, and try and get them all looking roughly the same in terms of formatting.

Edit:
There were 6 entrants in the end:
Skink
Bilbo Baggins
GRNDL
Thommy H
Revlid
Pyro Stick

It's taking me a while to edit these to all look the same formatting, I'm about half way through, so the thread should be up tommorow.  From what I've seen so far this will be a tough contest.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's