CDO Forums

Full Version: June Price Rise :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Theres not much on the Thread yet but it looks like there is going to be a price rise in June on some Blisters and Box sets up as much as 15%

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php...ost3449713

I have heard the Cadian and Catachan battleforces are rrp £55.00 up by £5.00 so there is a possibility of all of them going up

its worth keeping an eye on it
Even if they dropped prices in a recession, people still aren't buying luxury items. What do you want them to say, "I'm sorry inflation is going up"?

This_Is_My_Boomstick!! Wrote:

i know GW has shops and more staff but if Victrix can do great quality models that cheap, why cant GW ?

Answered your own question there. It's also why smaller companies can often survive a recession while larger companies start to crash (IE, we've seen a lot of larger banks foreclose, but there are many many local banks that are still up and running).

Smaller company, less overhead before they can break even. After all, if it's only a studio of three or four guys doing sculpting then molding, then packaging, then the actual cost for labor and supplies is low. Larger companies, like GW, need teams of developers, artists, sculptors, writers, a whole manufacturing division just to meet demand, and its execs (Yes, large companies actually need executives).

Ahhh GWs annual fleecing of it's customers; is it that time of year already?

snowblizz Wrote:

dedwrekka Wrote:
Even if they dropped prices in a recession, people still aren't buying luxury items. What do you want them to say, "I'm sorry inflation is going up"?

i know GW has shops and more staff but if Victrix can do great quality models that cheap, why cant GW ?

Answered your own question there. It's also why smaller companies can often survive a recession while larger companies start to crash (IE, we've seen a lot of larger banks foreclose, but there are many many local banks that are still up and running).

Smaller company, less overhead before they can break even. After all, if it's only a studio of three or four guys doing sculpting then molding, then packaging, then the actual cost for labor and supplies is low. Larger companies, like GW, need teams of developers, artists, sculptors, writers, a whole manufacturing division just to meet demand, and its execs (Yes, large companies actually need executives).

Add to that all the administrative staff and sales force. I looked in the annual report when answering the same question elsewhere. Sales staff were around 1300 people, administrative staff 400. The design was a measly 70 and IIRC manufacturing 200.
It would not surprise me if GW employed more people than the rest of the miniature manufacturers in total.
Unlike the other companies also making plastic miniatures GW has huge overhead and is bearing a lot of costs other do not. E.g. GW pays for educating new gamers, that's not something historical manufacturers do.

I actually have to point out on that line that games like Warhammer and Warmachine are probably more responsible for the increase in historical gaming, due to not only getting gamers into the hobby of miniatures, but making independent retailers interested as well.

two_heads_talking Wrote:
this is why i haven't bought anything in like 3 years.. Sad

Quoted for truth.

I wonder what the pricing strategy will be for Canada, as they just dropped prices significantly last year...

Any releases on the price raise? Anyone know if it's just effecting certain countries or currencies?
looks like im going to have to break open the wallet and grab the Screamers and Flamers i need.. it looking like they are jumping 5 USD a box..
God knows what the cost will be for CD figures if they rerelease them...
Actually, Bilbo, the pound isn't so much weakening as the other currencies becoming stronger. The pound still isn;t weaker than them as well, which is still a bonus for us.

Ultimately, I;ve been pushed out of buying, but I may be getting a job there which gives me two advantages: one is having income with which to pay for things and the second is that I'd have a discount, meaning I may be able to afford something from GW every once in a while, lol.

Thorne Wrote:
Just look for suitable alternatives or even make your own and buy of ebay old school models because the day fo 5 space marines for £2.50 will never happen again

Thats what ive been doing recently. Ive been checking out loads of other companies and although most of the models arent as good as GW there are still some awesome pieces out there. Ive started buying a few Anima Tactics and Avatars of War (two of the companies that i would say produce some of the finest detailed 28mm models). They provide a good challenge and look awesome if painted well.

snowblizz Wrote:
I'm thinking Maelstrom is doing pretty well these days, free shipping anywhere and a "weak" pound.

I would say Maelstromgames are doing very well. They started out as an ebay company, then started up their website which sold mainly GW. Now i have noticed that they are expanding their selection of models, probably because less people are buying GW models and are looking to bu alternatives. They are also good for Hobby Supplies like paint and brushes etc. And they frequently give out vouchers which i post on cdo when i get them. Its just a shame that the when you use a voucher they put the price up to GW prices and then take the value of the voucher off of that instead off of maelstromgames 10% discount.

Hmmm linked deleted off of warseer; what was the contention in relation to EBay?

Willmark Wrote:
Hmmm linked deleted off of warseer; what was the contention in relation to EBay?

looks like it was merged with another thread, post 168 has details of GW and auction sites

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php...ost3593388

So looking at this they are trying to clamp down on eBay, or potentially online 3rd party sellers, which will be impossible because if they succeed it moves elsewhere. Sorta like America's "War on Drugs".

This also doesn't effect place like the warstore which buys tons of kits then resells specific pieces. Neil even takes in stuff for trade.

GW is walking down a slippery slope, how so prices cannot go up indefinitely, people  think "no buying will ever happen". I disagree eventually you can price yourself out of a market.

No by the look of it GW is going to try and limit resellers and prevent them from reselling their stock on eBay.
Apparently the next army is Skaven, so anyone planning to do an infantry heavy army of them is going to have to sell a kidney.
The US isnt getting much in the way of raises. other than the Starters and the Low Turnover stuff.. the Core boxes stay the same for the most part.
The long-term inflation rates that they're using, slev, is going to cost them a lot of customers, in my opinion. After all, just because over a longer period they are below the price they should be, doesn;t mean that they are becoming better value for money. If we looked at a (hypothetical) longer period that had a lower rate of inflation, then they;d be above it, for example. Relatively speaking, the prices are too high for today's wage rates.

On the same note, that isn;t to say that I don;t see your point Wink
actually.. the 6th edition starters were $90 dollars. not $75. Also remember that 90 dollars 6 years ago would equate to nearly $120 today.
Ah, gotcha. But, what are you using as the infation rate for the nation? Because most people use it as about 2-2.5%, when the target has been 2.4% for a decade or more and the actual... Well, to give an example, in the prevous fiscal year (it may have been the one before), the governement were boasting about how they reduced it. FROM 5.7%,w hich is VERY high. Down to 4.1% (if I recall the figures correctly. It may have been from 5.1% to 4.7%). Whilst this is a huge reduction in inflation terms, it's stil far over the target and is part of the reason the housing market was so screwed and also partially how we got into the national regression that we're in (not helped by the global recession).

It sure IS pricey: keeping in line with inflation doesn't mean people will stay pay the prices.

Willmark Wrote:
So looking at this they are trying to clamp down on eBay, or potentially online 3rd party sellers, which will be impossible because if they succeed it moves elsewhere. Sorta like America's "War on Drugs".

The new ebay policy has been in effect for a grand total of three days. Already the biggest ebay sellers (maelstrom and R&R) have stopped selling stuff

omg i totally missed this part of the thread! What are they trying to gain by stopping people selling warhammer on ebay!?!?!? GW just sound more messed up every day and they arent doing anything to help themselves. Do you think they will eventually make it so that the only place you can buy warhammer is on the actual GW website?

Thaks for the explanation! Very useful Wink

However, as has been said, it gets to a point where they need to consider what people are willing to spend as well as keeping prices to inflation rates. This wo;t affect wha they do, of ourse, but one can have an opinion Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's