CDO Forums

Full Version: Mantic Games Presents - Golden Hat XV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Evil At Heart

Welcome one-and-all, to the 15th Golden Hat modeling and painting competition!

We are pleased to announce that this Golden Hat has been sponsored by Mantic Games!  They have offered up prizes for contestants placing 3rd, 2nd and 1st!

Mantic Games Wrote:
Yes, absolutely we'd love to do some giveaways with you guys. We could do a Black Souls Regiment (20 Warriors) worth £20 for 3rd prize, Abyssal Dwarf Half-Breed cavalry worth £35 for 2nd and an Abyssal Dwarf Army Set worth £50 for 1st prize? How does that sound to you?

That sounds awesome to me!

In addition, I want to have some random-draw giveaways so that any participant will have a chance to win a prize.  If you want to contribute a prize, you must be willing to pay for the shipping to send it to a fellow member. I am donating my Big Hat Death rocket. Happy

Random Prize Draw Items (donated by members):
- Death Rocket with Crewman (Xander)
- Dronzak Bannerfist [MM90 Standard Bearer] (clam)

Subject Matter
As we all know, the look-and-feel of the evil-hearted Dwarfs have a long and storied history that includes many different styles.  Be it Helms, Hats or Masks (or some combination of the three), we all have our favourite variety.  With many miniatures companies throwing their hat in ring, the evil-hearted Dwarfs are finally having their day in the sun!

So, what faction do you represent?

The challenge for Golden Hat #15 is to create a single Evil Dwarf Infantryman on a 20mm base that represents your idea of the perfect Evil Dwarf.  

The model should be a rank and file trooper.  Any equipment is allowed: hand-weapon and sheild, great weapon, any variety of firearm. Just make sure the model is not a hero, champion, musician or standard bearer.  You can convert or model your own figure, or use any existing model from any applicable miniatures range. Just make sure it is fully painted (though WIP shots of any conversion or modeling work are welcome).

Basing
20mm - A small amount of scenic basing is allowed, but bare in mind the model should represent a run-of-the-mill trooper of whatever unit type he (or she?) happens to be.

Diorama style bases are not allowed.

The full rules for basing can be found here.

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

When is the deadline?
Once again same basic premise as previous Golden Hats; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM June 30th, 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have around 4 weeks to complete your entry)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. In order to avoid problems, I "highly advise" that entrants do not wait until the very last minute to submit their entries...

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the internet.  Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Rightly take your place in the Golden Hat Hall of Fame, where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona *
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 50 people enter we award 50 slaves to each person who entered.
- If you place in the top 3, you'll win a prize, courtesy of Mantic Games

*= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

Entries will count towards a veteran medal.

As usual once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting. And as always if there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.  Ideally pm one of the staff as it's less likely to be missed.

Summary:
Subject Matter:  Create an evil dwarf infantryman on a 20mm base.
Due Date: 11:59 PM June 30th, 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

Also, I am revealing now that we will be running the 16th Golden Hat from July-August and it will likely have a Warhammer Forge theme (so don't worry!). More on this later!

So that's it, get cracking! What does the perfect Evil Dwarf warrior look like? Cheers!

Big love to Mantic i would buy more minis but i already 100's on mantic stuff Big Grin
I think the best part about this is that it will be a celebration of the diversity!  We'll get to see so many styles and looks.  I can't wait to see how this turns out.  And the 4 week turn around time means it will be hard to procrastinate and forget about the contest.  

Everyone should get started now! Wink

EDIT: A small bit of clarification.  If you want to use a model that is meant to be a Hero/Champion/Captain as a starting point for a conversion, you can, provided the final model ends up looking like a regular trooper.

Bear in mind that if your model still looks too hero-like, the vox populi may punish you when it comes time to vote on the winners. Wink
I'll try and give this a go I think.

Can't argue with free stuff involved.
There are so many evil dwarf models out now, there's not even a need to convert.
Cooool. When i saw the thread title i was worried it was going to be mantic models only but this is going to be great. I know exactly what im going to paint.
Well, I think this is one time where I can't fail to enter, but time will tell. Must keep remembering to get on with this.
No geographical limitations are in place.
Mantic has linked to us: http://www.manticblog.com/?p=3685

Happy
It's a pity all my GW CD figures are painted.
I guess I could enter one of the Forgeworld Infernal guard.
Got mine barely started after sorting out pieces. Building 19 others at the same time, so it's one way of getting a unit made, lol. At least I'll have 20 choices to decide between to enter Big Grin
Finally got a new can of undercoat today so im going to be starting my entry tonight.
Well, I'm getting on with mine also. Hatted and beweaponed 10 of my easy-convert guys, just got my 10 not-so-easy-convert guys. Just gotta remove bits, add beards, edit weapons, add bits and then I et to spray and paint everything!
Hope the healing goes well.

Well, I was delayed by a trip back to Essex, but I managed to get the sculpting finished today. Got a smidge of gluing to do and buy some primer tomorrow after my intervew then spray them, wait to dry and get painting!
Was hoping to get the last gluing and the spray done today. Looks like I'm doing that tomorrow and trying to paint and post them swiftly!
GMT-5

I finished my model last night with Vexxus.  I will be taking my pics after work while there is plenty of sunlight.

Sounds like a lot of people are entering! Which is great news!  I will try to get the contest voting online as soon as I can.  It may take some hours though, based on the number of entries!

As for "not having enough time", I only gave one month for two reasons. 1) It's only one miniature, and 2) I want to do a second contest this summer. Happy
Time zones are a speciality of mine, so I'd be happy to discuss this some more in another thread. To put it simply, the eastern US timezone is probably the first or second most used in the western world (competing with Central European). Only Iceland is using GMT right now (technically UTC0) due to summer time changes so that would be far more confusing.

So we use the timezone of the person organising the competition, and it is a very well known timezone.

Five hours out of a four-week timescale it not all that much, get your models in ASAP people!

Admiral Wrote:
Yes, I think that too. Please, dear staff, make sure that a proper page for this Golden Hat is put up on the website, as most of the earlier ones have. Happy

That may well be possible.  Wink

I just got my entry in.

3.5 Hours until the deadline. Whew.

I am going to attempt to compile the entries in the next hour or so.

We have something like 28 entries, so it can take a while!

EDIT: Didn't finish before I had to head out! Dang! Maybe tonight. Sorcerer
Only 8 more entries to compile! They will be some sometime today for sure!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Reference URL's