CDO Forums
Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Showcase (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Vulcanologist's blog of other things (/showthread.php?tid=10173)

Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 11-30-2011 11:57 AM

Hi thought I'd start a second blog to showcase some of my other models and to hopefully provide an explanation to why my main blog is so woefully slow at updating! You see the trouble is i'm easily distracted by the next shiny thing (must be the magpie in me..my footie team!) although since Discovering CDO I have become alot more disciplined. Well the thing that first attracted me to this hobby was seeing Andy Rat-Man Chambers Skaven horde in an issue of White Dwarf ( probably about 1992ish i think!?) well over the years i've tried dozens of times to get into Skaven but much as I love their models and fluff I just could never get away with painting them! However I recently treated myself to the Island of Blood boxed set so I've attempted another go at the whiskered ones! Let me know what you think..?

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 11-30-2011 04:47 PM

Some more pics of my skaven:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Bolg - 11-30-2011 06:57 PM

I'll keep an eye out for your next update. I love looking at pics of painted models (and also of painted warhammer models d: )

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-01-2011 04:40 AM

My first Warmachine/Hordes model.. A Trollblood Impaler:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-01-2011 09:03 AM

My attempt at painting tartan! :

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Bolg - 12-01-2011 12:02 PM

Nice. I love the kilt!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Galladorn - 12-01-2011 12:09 PM

Agreed, the kilt is fantastic!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-01-2011 02:14 PM

A close-up of the scenic base. This was my first attempt at using water effects.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-01-2011 05:26 PM

Next up is my Screaming Bell....
Rat Ogre Bell Ringer:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-01-2011 05:28 PM

Grey Seer:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-01-2011 05:30 PM

And the diabolical Screaming Bell itself:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - RTMaitreya - 12-01-2011 05:44 PM

Love the kilt!  Well played, sir, well played.

<get it?  Scots pronounce it like that>

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 12:19 AM

Thanks everyone for praising my kilt! Was quite a tricky thing to do!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 10:51 AM

Next up... Tjub inspired me to dig out some old Blood Bowl minis with his superb Dwarf team. Here's my first results... I give you 'St.Cuthbert's HolyIslanders' :

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 10:53 AM

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 10:56 AM

My Nun Blitzers, Sister Mary Wideload and Sister Mary Netty:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 11:00 AM

My Throwers, Sister Mary Oche and Sister 'Hail' Mary Virginia:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 11:02 AM

The catchers, Sister Mary Faith, Sister Mary Hope and Sister Mary Charity:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Galladorn - 12-02-2011 11:13 AM

What an awesome idea!  Your Nuns are well done.  Great attention to detail, especially how some of the bases have the white lines on them from the field.  They look great!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 11:14 AM

My LineNuns, Sister Hettra Sexual, Sister Hectomy, Sister Sledge, Sister Acttoo and Sister Opheilia Wimple:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 11:16 AM

My Cheernuns, Novice Mary Milkshake and Mother Superior Bodywork:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 11:18 AM

And finally a couple of shots of the whole team before they raise the roof of their home stadium 'St.Cuthbert's Park' :

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-02-2011 04:13 PM

Bought Warhammer-Legends of the Old West years ago but only recently got a few models for it. There are quite a few nice 28mm Old West figures out there but I went for some from Black Scorpion, and very nice they are too. Here's my first cowboy:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-03-2011 01:56 AM

Next up will be some more cowboys and also I've just finished some skaven eat ogres.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-03-2011 08:31 AM

Mexican Bandito:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-04-2011 05:31 AM

My Deputy:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-05-2011 04:36 AM

WIP on my marshall:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Bolg - 12-05-2011 12:03 PM

Awesome, cowboys and Nuns playing football!! love the miniatures and the paint job.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-06-2011 05:34 AM

Glad you like them Bolg, Cowboys and nuns-you make me sound like I've got very strange tastes!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-06-2011 05:37 AM

Next up the first pic of my Rat Ogres hopefully I'll get another couple of pics up of them soon...

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-07-2011 05:45 AM

As promised,a couple more pics of my rat ogres. As you can see two are from the Island of Blood box while the other i found in my bitz box. Hope you like them?

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - speedygogo - 12-16-2011 06:58 AM

You paint exceptionally well Vulcanologist.  I especially like the skaven  I find the sheer number of models to paint can be a deterrent to painting horde armies.  If you could muster the patience to carry you quality level of painting over an entire 2500-3000 point army it would be incredible.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 12-16-2011 10:06 PM

Thanks Speedy glad you like them. I've tried painting skaven a number of times but because I'm a slow detailed painter I could never get away with them. Think I've found a method that suits me now though. It's fairly quick but still gives me the level of finish I strive for whether I can keep it going for 3000pts though is another matter although I have painted an Orc and goblin army in the past!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Moloch - 02-29-2012 02:13 AM

ahahah! Happy Vulcanologist you really made me laughing! Cheers!
Nuns for bloodbowl is a fantastic idea! very funny and high dettail level (like the adidas logo on the shirt)

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 11-13-2012 05:55 AM

Sorry my blogs have been so quiet for too long. I've been hooked by Flames of War (Curse you again Tjub!) and also by some historical gaming namely Napoleonics. I picked up a 2nd hand copy of Warhammer Waterloo and thought I'd give them a bash...here are my first results:
Well, first up a Gordon Highlander of the 92nd Regiment of Foot:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 11-13-2012 05:57 AM

work has been progressing on my British Napoleonics. Finished 5 companys of my Gordon Highlanders, just got the Grenadier company to do and I will have finished the full battalion. That might have to wait though because I've started painting my KGL 1st Hussars. In the meantime though here are some photos of my highlanders:

Piper:

The light company come under fire... "Officer Down!!" :

The Colonel and the Colours:

The 92nd Gordon Highlanders:

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - DAGabriel - 11-13-2012 07:25 AM

Lovely Highlanders, great painting and basing. Now some smoke coming out of those rifles and it would be THE show.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Admiral - 11-13-2012 07:26 AM

Those Skaven and nuns are good, but the highlanders are outright impressive. Also, it's a clever use of static grass clumps as blood splatter on that shot soldier.

However, I can spot some grass straws and even a small piece of gravel on the command stand miniatures.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - tjub - 11-13-2012 12:39 PM

Great work!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 11-13-2012 04:08 PM

Cheers guys glad you like them. It made a change to paint something completely different. The tartan was certainly challenging!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - DAGabriel - 03-08-2013 08:25 AM

Hi V., no news here?
Hope you got some new toys today so we can look at them, Happy BDay!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 05-14-2013 09:35 AM

Golly gosh didn't realize I Hadn't posted any new stuff for a couple of months!! Thanks for the birthday wishes BTW guys!
Well here are some more Napoleonics I've been busy with, 1st Battalion King's German Legion Hussars. Quite pleased with them especially as I HATE painting horses!! Oh and please check out the new blog I've started, here's the link:
http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/
Hope you like the pictures and the blog!?!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Abecedar - 05-14-2013 10:50 AM

Many years ago i got hooked on the "Sharpes" series of books. Every time I go to the races I think "Bloody Hell" if that was ten horses what must've a hundred been like?

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 05-14-2013 01:59 PM

Thanks Abecedar! Yes I used to read the Sharpe books too. Yes I know what you mean... I bet a full cavalry charge was pretty spectacular...and pretty terrifying too!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Yodrin - 05-14-2013 02:03 PM

As I said on the other thread of yours, great stuff, hehe Happy

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 05-15-2013 06:13 AM

Thanks Yodrin glad you liked them!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 05-21-2013 04:21 PM

Those of you who have read my Flames of War posts on my blog (link at the bottom of this post) will know my love for the Durham Light Infantry (DLI)

If you haven't looked at those posts, please do...there is some great history and personal accounts from members of the Regiment.

When I started painting Napoleonics, the first regiment I painted was my Gordon Highlanders. This was purely because they were the only models that my local games store had in stock! My plan quickly evolved though to try and re-create the 7th Division from the Peninsular War (specifically the Battle of Vittoria) because they included the Durham Light Infantry.

The 7th Division is actually very interesting . It was known as 'the Mongrel Division' because it contained such a mix of troops from different nationalities.

Here is my eventual planned units:

1st Brigade: Major General Barnes:            

1/6th Foot Regiment

3rd Provisional Battalion

2/24th Foot Regiment

2/58th Foot Regiment

Brunswick Oels (9 coys)

2nd Brigade: Major General Grant:

1/51st Foot Regiment

1/68th Foot Regiment

1/82nd Foot Regiment

Chasseurs Britanniques(French)

3rd Brigade:Major General Le Cor

7th Portuguese Regiment

19th Portuguese Regiment

2nd Cacadores

plus some supporting units of cavalry and artillery.

Well, that's enough of my plan, here is my finished 68th Foot (DLI)

Check out my new blog:
http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Yodrin - 05-21-2013 06:21 PM

Wow, thats a cool looking regiment!!! Great job!!!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 05-22-2013 04:51 AM

Thanks Yodrin, glad you like them! Haven't painted much Chaos Dwarf stuff lately but I have managed to enter this Golden Hat and I've got a Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team in my painting queue... Another regiment of Napoleonics first though!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - DAGabriel - 05-22-2013 03:25 PM

Oh lord, stop making my fingers itch. They look great, but I think I`ll abstain and remain true to my CDs and Steampunk.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 05-23-2013 02:05 PM

Haha...thanks DaG...Happy I have to stop myself being lured by the next new shiney toy too!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Thommy H - 05-23-2013 02:21 PM

Ooooh...lovely stuff. I have no interest in the period whatsoever, but these look really great.

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 05-23-2013 04:07 PM

Thanks a lot Thommy! Not really my favourite period either! I was just getting a bit bored of painting fantasy stuff and thought I'd try my hand at some historical miniatures! Picked up a box of Victrix stuff really cheap then some Perry brothers plastics. Excellent value for money I must say... paid £10 for each box containing nearly 50 figures with loads of options, painting guides, historical fluff, simple rules and paper banners...fantastic!!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 07-20-2013 07:18 AM

Finished my first unit of British Napoleonic artillery. The 3 nine pounder guns and crew are from the Victrix box set with the addition of a couple of mounted Perry artillery captains.

I enjoyed the change of painting blue rather than red! A few more units of Infantry are planned next and maybe another unit of cavalry.

Comments and criticisms are most welcome as always....

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Yodrin - 07-20-2013 08:43 AM

Great stuff as always Wink

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Kera foehunter - 07-20-2013 01:37 PM

Bravo !!!!!! what a very nice army well painted and based

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - Bolg - 07-20-2013 01:52 PM

lovely, and thanx for sharing!
Paint job over all is good but I'm very very impressed by the great paint job of that uninion Jack flag!

RE: Vulcanologist's blog of other things - vulcanologist - 07-21-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks very much guys (and girl Happy! )
This Napoleonic bug is biting hard... nearly finished another unit of infantry and started my next unit of cavalry.... almost time to bring on Old Boney and give his Froggies a damn good thrashing... what.  (No offence intended to all my French (or Corsican!) friends here!