CDO Forums
Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Pointing out some rules here at CDO (/showthread.php?tid=10941)

Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Willmark - 04-11-2012 11:34 PM

Hello everyone.

I wanted to take a moment and do that part of the Admin role that is never fun, pointing out some house keeping stuff and some rules.

Topic #1
Recently an issue has arisen in the Marketplace regarding purchasing items through contact with members of the site. First a bit of history: Since the sites inception the rules for the Marketplace have been the same and can be found here:  For a number of years that sticky was in the Marketplace and then we consolidated all of the rules in 2009 here.

With all that said nothing has changed; it is not Chaos Dwarf Online’s policy to get involved in transactions or transaction disputes regarding members. The section in question is a courtesy provided by CDO and nothing more. In short it is, and always has been a use at your own discretion. The Staff will only step in should there be a need to take disciplinary action with a person in question. This is problematic as then there is no way to contact the person in terms of a dispute if we should have to ban. The Staff is actively discussing this as to the best course of action regarding any member(s) in question that might engage in such activity.

Topic #2
Copyright as it pertains to CDO. Copyright here (as in the terms of Warhammer) is a convoluted topic. By copyright law the IP of Chaos Dwarfs as it pertains to Warhammer is the property of GW. As such no expectations of copyright can be claimed per say* How this pertains to CDO? Recently we have had some “ahem” demands from a member to delete their posts, threads, art, etc. First a few things; as a site we are not legally obligated to delete anything unless it is infringing on GWs copyright. If you place something on the Internet you largely give up rights (if indeed there are any). You should not  have a real expectation of privacy regarding this. Also don’t confuse the Internet with free speech. When you join and post at CDO you are on a server that is paid by someone. Free speech is generally followed by most site owners, but you cannot make a claim to free speech when you are on a server that is paid for by someone else. In short their $, their rules. Here at CDO we are pretty lenient when it comes to this. But the point needs to be reiterated: you don't "own" your posts. Also being a jack wagon isn't cause for us to go through the site and clean your posts.

There is no way the staff is going to be everyone’s secretary deleting stuff. If you are not under a ban you can delete your own posts, threads are not deleteable by the users for obvious reasons. In short it probably behooves folks to consider what they post prior to unleashing it on the web. Trying to police this would be a near impossible task and a thankless one at that. You can bluster, threaten legal action all you want, etc, probably not going to get you anywhere. With a truly global site trying to force action against CDO is a pretty tough task. The owner is in Canada and the server in the USA and the staff worldwide. I don’t even want to imagine the jurisdiction issues on that one!

Regarding others works. While IP rights might not apply it’s poor form to take someone else’s work without asking if it can be used in the first place. Best bet is to contact the person’s whose works it is prior to posting, not after.

In spite of my better judgment I’ll leave this open for commentary. I do ask that those parties involved do not dredge up the particulars of the reasons for this post.

If you have points you want to raise either air them here or send a PM to the Staff member you most feel comfortable with.

Thanks,
WM

* Note, I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but have had a few encounters/discussions of IP before.  Arguments can be made as to the validity of IP statements one way or the other, but suffice of to say short of lawyers hashing it out in court it’s something to avoid here.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Nicodemus - 04-12-2012 12:20 AM

Thanks Willmark!

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - maded12 - 04-12-2012 04:39 AM

It's a shame you need to post something like this. That said, I want to thank you for expressing these views. It shows that the mods here really care about what happen on the site.

Takes Hat off

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Willmark - 04-12-2012 07:02 AM

Thanks maded12. Neither situation was fun to deal with. As I tell folks you may not agree with the actions we take but we always try to do what is best for the site as whole.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - rabotak - 04-12-2012 07:24 AM

As the mindset has evolved and professionalism has increased over the last years, a clear statement was needed.
thanks willmark, situations like this are never easy.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Satan - 04-12-2012 08:06 AM

Good statement, esp. On the IP parts.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Willmark - 04-12-2012 08:41 AM

Thanks it's important to clarify things as we are busier then ever as a site. There are now rotinuely 100+ users on the site at any given time. Usually there are at least 100+ guests on. So we have a lot of non members and have to put the best foot forward.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Insidious - 04-12-2012 08:54 AM

While it is sad this has to be reiterated in such a open forum, it doesn't hurt to remind the people every now about the rules and try to help some of the youngsters out there understand that while you may feel like the internet allows you to do and say things anonymously and without consequence this isn't true.  

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of several internet communities that I hold dear to my heart and without a doubt CDO is one of the best run and friendliest groups I have ever seen. While it is impossible to be perfect, and with the daily user count average that high, which is awesome btw, you are going to eventually have stuff like this come up but nipping it in the butt and making sure everyone knows exactly what their "rights" and "privileges" are and the difference between the two is quite important.

Keep up the good work and I applaud the mods / leadership here for handling this in a timely and efficient matter.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Grimstonefire - 04-12-2012 09:20 AM

It was best to reaffirm our stance on these issues.

It might be an idea to clarify further what happens if people have a heated 'discussion' before leaving and asking to be voluntarily banned.

Their last 10 or so posts are likely to be... not in the friendly spirit of CDO and perhaps bringing the out worst in everyone.  So not posts any of us want to remain visible in the long term.

Would it be an idea to advise people that if someone requests to be banned only their last 10 posts will be deleted by staff etc.  All others will remain.  That would give them a bit of time before actually being banned to delete/ edit out any other posts they feel strongly about.

Just an idea.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Insidious - 04-12-2012 12:40 PM

If the post were that bad or what was being said is in such poor taste wouldn't it be modified or edit to make it less inappropriate anyways? In a instance where somebody actually request to be voluntarily banned it would probably behoove them to edit their post beforehand seeing how that seems a bit silly to begin with.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Nicodemus - 04-12-2012 04:32 PM

Grimstonefire Wrote:
Would it be an idea to advise people that if someone requests to be banned only their last 10 posts will be deleted by staff etc.  All others will remain.  That would give them a bit of time before actually being banned to delete/ edit out any other posts they feel strongly about.

Good suggestion, when needed, this way might be best.

~N

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Hashut's Blessing - 04-17-2012 06:30 PM

Ultimately, if people wish to act foolishly, the staff aren't prepared to hide the fact for them. We welcome people to police themselves on how they present themselves and we only get involved in editing/deleting posts where it breaks forum rules (E.G. Double posting in a matter of minutes).

Irrespectively, Willmark is talking on behalf of the staff (and technically the rules themselves), but thanks for doing the finely worded succinction of our points. We do these things in the hopes that we can have a smoothly-run and (largely) incident free community, where people are clear on the stance of acceptibility.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - Vardan Painkiller - 12-04-2012 05:00 AM

I think this post clears a lot- but still it must be allowed to post some rules, else we cant post roosters, or ask to have interactions between rules explained- and it's the quotations that rules lawyers need to live. Seriously this folks die without quoting a rule for a day.

RE: Pointing out some rules here at CDO - cornixt - 12-04-2012 11:26 AM

Look on existing threads that have rule discussions and use that as a guide.