CDO Forums
Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Showcase & Army Blogs (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd (/showthread.php?tid=16394)

Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 02-23-2016 12:54 PM

Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd

Introduction

Dear fellow chaos dwarfs,
a while ago I had an army blog for my CDs.
Now all the old pictures are gone.

But my friends and I started a Warhammer campaign and I finished what waited for the brush.

2017 Image Salvage

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 02-23-2016 01:03 PM

My first photo shows the regiment bases for my troops.

The Hobgoblin Wolfriders can you guess what base is reserved for these sneaky fellows?

My based Infernal Guard ready to march against my foe ...

The slaves ready to loose their arrows.

A small regiment of Infernal Guard with blunder busses takes aim!

K'daai conjured out of a magic lamp ... wait one of you is in wrong company.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 02-23-2016 01:06 PM

The whole about 1000 points ... but more is on it's way

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Fuggit Khan - 02-23-2016 01:15 PM

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
I love everything here <3
Awesome color choices on the Mantic Abyssal Dwarf miniatures, the red and black shields are a wonderful tie in for the red and black Night Gobbo Hobgoblins.
And what an original idea to make red faces for the Gobbo's, perfectly matching the red squigs.
And can I steal (borrow?) your idea of netters riding on wolves? Simply brilliant Takes Hat off
...and a beautiful gaming mat too!
I'm sending you some well deserved slaves for your army Cheers!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 02-23-2016 01:30 PM

Thank you Fuggit,

the netgitz on the wolves are for my slave hunting theme ... (let´s be honest everyone can run from a Dwarf ... but from a Hobgoblin on a wolf?)
If you like them, you have to copy them!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Helblindi - 02-23-2016 05:26 PM

Looks great! Red-skinned goblins look super, and I'm gonna steal your idea of marking movement trays!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Commander Panda - 02-23-2016 06:33 PM

This is all amazing. Loving the dashes of colour on the Abyssal Chaos Dwarves. Takes Hat off

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Abecedar - 02-24-2016 02:59 AM

Some great ideas and the execution of them too.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Admiral - 02-24-2016 03:03 AM

Yep, brilliant stuff! The army is lovely as a whole. Very well done. Good choice of colours, good choice of models. I think a light touch of yellowing modelling grass or similar scanty growth on just a few bases and movement trays could lift the army as a whole.

Bonus points for the netter wolf riders, they look like they're catching slaves. And Fuggit, a Hobgoblin doesn't ask if he can steal something... Tongue

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Roark - 02-24-2016 06:38 AM

Really cool idea for a dynamic and diverse K'daai unit/mini-diorama. Bloody well done.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 02-24-2016 01:01 PM

Thank you all. Cheers!
That will push me on ... I´ve got some dwarfs in my painting-pipeline.
When they are finished I´ll take photos of them.

Good idea Admiral ... I´ll order some yellow gras with the green stuff that I need for some future plans ... Wink

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 02-24-2016 01:59 PM

I like to convert miniatures to fit in to my army-concept like this K'daai who will take the place of the Ogre ...

But there are miniatures that I´d never dare to destroy ...

... and this Chaos Dwarf Castellan is an great example of such a miniature!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Jackswift - 02-24-2016 01:59 PM

Very Nicely done!  The Gobbo paint scheme is brilliant!  Gobbos painted as Oni... spot on!

Great job on the army. Cheers JR

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Willmark - 03-06-2016 06:09 PM

From what I can see it looks good; try and get some more photos straight on so we can see the details of the units!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Zaramuskharaz - 03-07-2016 10:51 AM

Awesome painting, man!

I am particularly fond of the way you managed to identify 'what goes where' and 'which movement tray belongs to whom' by doing designs on them. Lovely. I'll steal the idea. Wink

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 03-07-2016 01:46 PM

@Zaramuskharaz: I´m happy you like this. Feel free to copy Wink

Actuelly I´m a little short of time so I´ve got to post my unfinshed Projects:
My Hellcannon for example:

My Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower:

And this 4th edi Prophet I found on Ebay ... got to strip his paint and give him somthing fitting to the army schema.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 03-28-2016 02:47 AM

Here a little detail shot of a chaos dwarf with blunder buss reloading:

I´m thinking of a metal scrap barrel or chest like the powder barrel.

A piece of magic / daemonic artillery:

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Jackswift - 03-28-2016 11:34 AM

A nice collection of models and units.  The fiery glow on the Chaos cannon came out very well.  The Kdaai unit as a collection of previously unrelated miniatures actually works together very nicely.  It is a clever way of building that unit would never have crossed my mind.  

Also, nice idea re the barrel as a unit filler.  I just may have to use a variation of that idea.  Cheers!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 03-28-2016 01:21 PM

Thank you Jackswift Takes Hat off

I hope to illustrate battle situations and inventions of chaos dwarfs with my conversions. So that some of them got realistic positions or weaponery or else to fit into the background / world / setting

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Fuggit Khan - 03-28-2016 02:37 PM

I love the powder keg idea for a quick, simple and highly effective unit filler. You have so many cool idea's that I will have to borrow (steal) Cheers!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Malorndk - 03-28-2016 03:30 PM

I liked your take on Bezhukk the Immortal from Ravenswood. Looks cool

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Admiral - 03-29-2016 08:01 AM

Neat additions to an already wondrous army. Lovely oriental flair to it. Takes Hat off

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 05-07-2016 11:28 AM

I found some time to go on with my evil dwarfs.

There is something I´ve got to tell you about my "Bull Centaurs" ... they aren´t Bull Centaurs, they are on the "wrong" bases and what ever you might find strange on them ...
I started this unit during my time at the university. So I had plenty of time but was short of money.
The base size is 50mm x 50mm because forge world told us that the unreleased Bull Centaurs (yes my lizard rider concept is that old) will come with bases of that size. My gaming group only plays for fun so no one complained about the bases ...
Why lizards? Well I had some left over from a Dark Elf army and greenstuff and time ...

Yeah it´s blasphemy but they are ready ... Tongue Wink

Why the regimental base is still unpainted? I used the rest of my crackle paint for the base below and I forgot to order black primer ...

The base is the only "new" thing on the photo below. I´ve broaden up the front of my warriors. Only two guys left to fill the base.

My next projects are the BSB and my Lord on Taurus (Scibor).

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Admiral - 05-07-2016 12:03 PM

The lizard riders suit the Mantic models and your army's style well.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 05-07-2016 12:05 PM

Thank you Admiral.
The Dwarf Lord on Taurus will be a little more to Hashuts liking Wink

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Jackswift - 05-07-2016 10:42 PM

Lavizard Riders!  Nice!  Takes Hat off A unique take, and I like it a lot.  And I definitely agree that they fit your army.  I see no reason why there would not be reptilian creatures lurking in the lava fields.  Definitely a spot where cold blooded creatures might find some warmth.

The Mantic model helmets also work very well with your theme as snarling dragons and monster motifs on armor.

As to the base size.  You're gaming group's take on this is great.  Why game if it isn't to have fun?  I'm still trying to decide how to base my renders since I mostly play KoW.  Cheers!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - tjub - 05-08-2016 02:17 AM

Original concept!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 05-09-2016 04:07 AM

Thank you two Big Grin

I hope to soften Hashut up with this Projekt ...
(Did I mentioned soften and Hashut in one sentence? Shock)

Here is Agalstrax mounted on his Taurus:

Takes Hat off now for the BSB and after that ... well who knows

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - TheHoodedMan - 05-09-2016 04:24 AM

Your army has a very consistent look and you blend the different models very well together. Really nice Takes Hat off.
The wings of the great bull look very good as well.
Perhaps a little dragon would fit as a Bull proxy well, too, in combination with the lizards.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Fuggit Khan - 05-09-2016 02:01 PM

Agalstrax Wrote:

Beautiful colors and composition!
I love the black and red shield designs, the cool stylized banner design (a Ziggurat?) and your bases are soooooooo cool. Great stuff Cheers!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Abecedar - 05-09-2016 06:55 PM

I didn't notice the banner before. Very nice.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Grimbold Blackhammer - 05-09-2016 06:56 PM

There are some interesting pieces here!  Very original!!  I have no idea where this will go next and that's a good thing Shock

Your plog seems much more asian than oriental-themed.  Is that by design?

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - valhallanguitar - 05-09-2016 07:22 PM

Can I see some more pictures of your BSb please. Is it converted or an actual model? I really like it!

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 05-10-2016 04:35 AM

Thank you TheHoodedMan ... but I hate to paint big miniatures. It took me "ages" to finish this one. I´ve a Lamassu left ... but it will take a while to finish it.

@Fuggit Khan: Yes the stairs on the banner shall remind of a Ziggurat. Thank you for Cheers!.

@Abecedar: Thank you too Wink

@Grimbold Blackhammer: Well ... I do my very best with turbans and all the other oriental stuff but unlike Admiral who takes the historical design very serious (great respect for that!!!). It´s ment to remind of an oriental fanstasy army. There are some analogies to asian designes (I thought of back-banners for the standart of the lizard riders for example) but it´s not planned to look asian Big Grin

@valhallanguitar: I think we had a little misunderstanding Wink

From the left: IG standart, Daemonsmith and old BSB

The IG standart is a mantic dwarf with a GW dark elf shield and banner. The "unique" look appears from my over ambitious use of pliers when I cut his beard off: Appart from one miniature (musician of my second IG regiment) all CD of my army have the traditional curly beards look. => the beard and the lower lip (of the dwarf on the left) had to be replaced with green stuff.

I love war banners and my actual (now old) BSB has just this tiny flag:

A great miniature for an Castellan but without an impressive banner.

So I made a new war banner for my army:

I saw a great banner pole in other blogs and realised, that it was the banner pole of a fith edition bull centaur. When somebody offered just the torso of it, I took the chance to make an infantry BSB out it:

I hope you like it too Takes Hat off

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Admiral - 05-10-2016 05:02 AM

Agalstrax Wrote:
I hope you like it too Takes Hat off

Sure do! Nice collection of banners, and good variety in the symbols used.

And there's nothing wrong with a playful approach at historical elements in fantasy models. Your army is turning out great. Takes Hat off

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Abecedar - 05-10-2016 07:32 PM

Again.  Very nicely done

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Carcearion - 08-11-2016 01:50 PM

Seeing this thread for the first time today and I have to say this is the best showing I've seen of a mantic abyssal dwarves army.

I especially like your Daemonsmith but I don’t recognize him, what line is he from? I also like his swarthy skin tone, would you mind sharing your technique?

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 08-24-2016 02:07 PM

Oh somebody posted a question and woke me up: Wink

Dear Carcearion, Admiral and Abecedar,  thank you for kicking my butt to go on with my army!

For you questions Carcearion:
1) The Daemonsmith is a miniature one of the forum members designed and casted. But I don´t remember who it was. Maybe one of the other fellows remembers ...
2) The skin tone isn´t quite a technique ... It´s a black primed dwarf. Skin sections painted in scorched brown (old citadel). Most of it got a second layer of bestial brown (old citadel). After that I clumsy painted some "highlights" with snakebite leather (old citadel)

I had a little break from my CDs but I never forgot them!
With some work to do I´ll go for the silver army medal this year.
My troops are waiting on my window bench for their next battle ...

In this blog I tryed to avoid to post WIPs but I´ve got nothing else ready now ...
For my Siege Giant I took a the Mage Knight Iron Rain Hill Giant:

It´ll take some more green stuff and paint but it´s a great miniature out of the box.

For my Irondeamon/K´Daii Destroyer (it´s sooo huge) I took another Mage Knight model: The Dwarven Steam Behemoth

I´ve still no idea how to fix it on it´s base (the wheels are made out of rubber)

But I can present something ready - the "bull centaur" base:

Sorry for the bad picture ...
The runes are copied from the banner that was copied from a banner I found on the internet ...

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Carcearion - 08-24-2016 10:01 PM

Oooh thank you! The more I look at him the more I like him. I'm not sure where/when I might try it (I have a Beastman army planned for the distant future it might look great on them).

I've haven't tried any of the new browns yet but much to my surprise I've found my self liking what little changes have come along with the new paint line. I hope I can still pull off those tones with them.

The bull centaur base looks amazingly, can't wait to see it occupied.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Abecedar - 08-25-2016 02:02 AM

Good to see you back.
For your IronDaemon.  Ignore the wheels.  The base is it solid or molded?
Either way get some fine / small self tapping screws and drill through the base into the models body.
Do 3 or 4 a little way under so you cannot see them from the sides.
Do them up gently by hand and you should be OK.

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Pappa Midnight - 08-25-2016 07:29 AM

I've always liked themed armies which step away from the "standard" look and yours is no exception. I like the mix of minis ( I might "borrow" the Cold One Cavalry......)
With regard to the steam tank, I have worked on quite a few Mageknight minis and they can be a little difficult to work with, especially if they are very rubbery. Abecedar's suggestion is what I would do or "pin" using plastic or metal rods.
I would be very careful if you intend to apply any paint or varnish to the tank. The rubber/plastic can react with certain paints/varnishes and become sticky ( I have found this out to my cost).

Regards
PM

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Agalstrax - 08-25-2016 12:09 PM

@Carcearion: The "bull centaurs" are the lizard riders from the top of the page. They´ll be in my next group shot.

@Abecedar and Pappa Midnight: The base is solid resin. If I use your idea I´ll drill holes for the screws. Otherwise I fear the base will break. It was fastened with 4 transparent pins on the original base (you can see one on the photo). Maybe I use them for pinns or screws ...

I´m glad that you like my little project and looking forward to my next game with my throng Takes Hat off

RE: Agalstrax' Oriental Oriented Army 2nd - Carcearion - 08-26-2016 01:39 AM

You mean your going to cover that great freehand work!? Shock

As great as it looks I suppose I assumed you'de be attaching then right to the base, like it was the floor of an evil temple, I think I must have been in a KoW multi-basing mindset. Freehand runes and symbols is a huge hole in my painting skill set, and I'm always so impressed by what people can do.