CDO Forums
Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Showcase & Army Blogs (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 (/showthread.php?tid=16748)

Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Slavemaster Hod - 09-29-2016 04:23 AM

Hi Guys,

Like the Thread Subject suggests, I am a long-time collector of CDs but have always put off painting them until I felt like I was a better painter. I do not play, so painting top notch armies is really my only concern. I'm not a quick painter (and I often get sidetracked), but I have decided that I am now good enough to do the CDs with the justice I think they deserve. I am always trying to better myself, so with each new army I take on, I try to think of something different I can do with it that pushes my skills past my current limits. For the CDs I think that I am going to try freehand banners. I really love all the great skull banners on this site, and I feel the CD banner style is a great first foyer into freehand banners for me.

As you will see, my style if very cartoony (all my colors go to black, so everything is separated by it), as well as vibrant. I just can't paint bland minis. For me, it has to be a vomit explosion of color and contrast (my favorite painters are Monet and Van Gogh).

I started collecting CDs in 1993, and have most of the MM90 Chaos Dwarfs from then. I painted them poorly and then found girls, beer and parties. Some years later I bought a home and was moving my stuff from parent's place into it, and lo and behold, there were my CDs. Seeing them re-sparked my childhood joy of wanting to paint an army and I picked the brush back up. I stripped all the minis I had painted and started in on them. I only painted a few before realizing I sucked, and was ruining my beloved CDs with paint-jobs that didn't do them justice. I purchases some Rackham stuff and went to painting it as practice. Now ten years later, I think I am finally ready to go back to my CDs. In my hiatus though, I have picked up a bunch of the Tall Hat Axemen and Bull Centaurs, as well as some newly purchases FW Deamonsmiths and Taur'Ruk.

I'm going to start with the Tall Hats, then move to the FW and finish with my first mini loves, the MM90 CDs. There is something about those MM90s that just makes them so personable. I feel like the sculptor was able to put so much personality in each one. They feel like a hodgepodge of dwarfs who've been warped by Chaos in their own personal and strange ways.

I live in the US but am currently in England for another three weeks. This means no painting for a bit. So you may ask, why start this blog now? Why not wait until you get back? Well, there are two reasons. First is, I'm impatient and just picked up my new FW CDs a few days ago at WW. So looking at them makes me want to paint, but since I can't, I can at least talk about painting them. The second is that I hope getting this blog going while I'm excited will galvanize me to actually start painting them when I get home. I will feel like a real tool if I start this thread and then never paint a single CD.

So, while I wait to start painting, what I can offer to this thread to give it some actual substance, is some of the non-warped brethren of Hashut's chosen, and some color schemes concepts I have.

While trying to improve my painting skills I picked up some normal dwarfs. I was particularly fond of the old metal ones and painted a fair amount. Some of you might now me from Bugman's Brewery (Hod Flagonpounder). I have an army blog over there if you care to check it out (a link is in my signature). But I thought I could post some of the highlights here so you guys can get an idea of my style.

MY VANILLA DWARFS

And finally the only CD I've painted to a quality I like (guy on the left). He's a reformed CD, who after some serious introspection, decided the life of Chaos wasn't for him, and returned to his puritanical brethren, where he joined a cannon crew.

I also am working on a Rackham Dwarfs as Space Wolves (or as I call them Space Boars) 40K army. I just can't get enough of them dwarfs.

As you can see, I like color. So my CDs are going to be colorful. And I don't like painting any two minis alike, so I've been giving a lot of thought to how I'm going to paint them all. The few things I'm pretty certain on is that I want most of them to be predominantly red, with brass, black, blue and then silver as the highlight colors (in descending order.) For my higher rank characters, I want them to predominantly brass, with red, black, silver and then blue as the highlight colors (again in descending order). Below are some of the ideas I've put together for the axemen. These show the rise in rank by the use of more gold.

MY CHAOS DWARF COLOR CONCEPTS

I'd love to hear what you guys think of my color schemes. I hope to do some concepts soon for the Blunderbusses (which I think I am going to do with more blue), and the Bull Centaurs (which I think I am going to go mostly gold).

I know there is a lot of non-CD stuff on this thread so far, but soon it will be full of nothing but CD goodness.

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 09-29-2016 04:41 AM

The colours work well.  Uncharacteristically for me, I like the blue and purple.
Queen Helga's face is brilliant. Suitably evil and menacing.  It would be a lot of work but if you could do that to the more "Dwarfy" models it would be great.  And add some tusks to any visible dwarf face, icon or shield for that last flourish.

As you can see I'm trying to get you to convert them.

2017 Image Salvage

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Herby - 09-29-2016 05:34 AM

Hello Slavemaster Hod!

Very colorful and beautiful painted miniatures you show her. Great!

@Abecedar
And her name is Helgar not Helga ;-) WAIT! I looked at google - since when is she called Helga?

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 09-29-2016 05:47 AM

Herby Wrote:
And her name is Helgar not Helga ;-) WAIT! I looked at google - since when is she called Helga?

You can't even rely on GW to get their own lore right. I actually have no idea whether it's Helgar or Helga. Fun mini to paint though. Isn't she the only GW dwarf rinn?

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Herby - 09-29-2016 05:54 AM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:

Herby Wrote:

You can't even rely on GW to get their own lore right. I actually have no idea whether it's Helgar or Helga. Fun mini to paint though. Isn't she the only GW dwarf rinn?

I just knew Helgar but after a quick search I also found these:

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Grimbold Blackhammer - 09-29-2016 08:45 AM

You are pulling off a rather varied color palette we don't often see Chaos Dwarfs wear through sheer skill with a brush!  I think if someone else were to try those colors, it would look horrible but you've somehow managed to make those models look rich and vibrant.  Very well done indeed!  I truly hope you post more!!

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Helblindi - 09-29-2016 01:11 PM

Love those space boars!
For CD, I think you of all people could pull off a much less classical colour scheme than the ones you propose. Red and yellow have been done a million times. If I had to choose, I'd take the bottom left option.

Cheers!

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Forgefire - 09-29-2016 01:20 PM

Beatiful dwarfs. I have faith that you will paint some awesome dawi zharr friend! Looking forward to see them!

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 09-29-2016 02:57 PM

Very impressive painting skills. Your choice of colours "shouldn't" work but looks amazing.
Look forward to seeing more.
Regards
PM

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - tjub - 09-30-2016 12:19 AM

Prefer the last two concepts, but I think Id go for the right one. Should look sweet!

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 09-30-2016 06:43 AM

Thank guys. When you ride the rainbow vomit color train, you have to have a good eye for contrast.

I am musing over the suggestion for a non-traditional color palette, but part of me loves the blood red Khorne color scheme. But... I was thinking doing something different with my Blunderbusses - I'll concept some things up and see how they look. I'll post them here when I'm done.

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 09-30-2016 06:48 AM

Since you seem to be a master at unusual colours, I vote for pink and yellow.

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Jackswift - 09-30-2016 08:27 AM

Some beautiful paint jobs on your dwarves.  Bright and striking, and very cleanly executed.  Also, very nice non traditional usage of the confrontation models.

Re your proposed scheme, I suspect the result mixed with your painting style will be a modernized and updated iteration of the old school CD scheme (with the striking reds, yellows, and blues).  Looking forward to it. Cheers!

RE: Hod's finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - BABIS - 10-02-2016 05:21 AM

your vanilla dwarfs look awesome Wink

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bassman - 10-03-2016 01:02 PM

Fantastic paint job. Very clean, as I like it. I love also the reformed CD. Even if Hashut will punish him for his horrible betraial!!!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-10-2016 01:38 PM

So I have been giving some thought to alternative color schemes and the only thing that I've come up with that I like is purple.

I don't know if I'd use this color scheme for the entire army (I just like the classic red, black and brass too much), but I could be a nice thing to use on my generals, or for Blunderbusses.

Let me know what you guys think.

On a side note, I am only a few days away from being home to my paints. So hopefully next week, I might have the first actual WIP photos of my CDs in progress.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Helblindi - 10-10-2016 02:01 PM

But you've already got purple dwarfs, won't you get bored to quick? Have you considered green and yellow? Seem like the only colors you haven't used for an army yet Happy

I'm starting to realise I just don't like that drawing of the chaos dwarf, so my opinion on colors should henceforth be ignored Wink

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-10-2016 02:29 PM

Helblindi Wrote:
But you've already got purple dwarfs, won't you get bored to quick? Have you considered green and yellow? Seem like the only colors you haven't used for an army yet Happy

I'm starting to realise I just don't like that drawing of the chaos dwarf, so my opinion on colors should henceforth be ignored Wink

I don't mind using the same colors. I am painting so many armies at once, that it doesn't bother me (and I actually haven't worked on my vanilla dwarfs in a few years now). For green and yellow, I feel like they are too bright and don't have the dark sinister look I want out of my CDs.

As to the drawing. It's not my favorite either, but I'm using it because it has all the right elements (cloth, chain mail, shoulder pads and hat) that I will be painting on the actual minis - as opposed to some other drawings that incorporate elements the minis don't have.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 10-10-2016 02:50 PM

Out of the two I prefer the one on the right with the black hat. I quite like purple as an "evil" colour, although it would depend how bright the purple was. A nice dark shade would look quite menacing.

Regards
PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 10-10-2016 06:44 PM

Me too. The left hand one has too much gold for me

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - tjub - 10-11-2016 12:09 AM

Id much prefer the yellow one...

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Admiral - 10-11-2016 02:27 PM

You might wish to mix in yellow somewhere if purple, black and red is going to be used. Perhaps yellow cloth trim dags?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-12-2016 09:33 AM

Admiral Wrote:
You might wish to mix in yellow somewhere if purple, black and red is going to be used. Perhaps yellow cloth trim dags?

I really like that idea of yellow with the purple. I'll have to try that.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-15-2016 01:38 PM

Got back to my paints a few days ago, and the first thing I did was get to painting my first CD. The night I got home I pulled out my raw metal tall hats to take a look at exactly what I had. I knew I was going to do the tall hat axemen first and I noticed that I had three of the same axemen for four different types of axemen, and inspiration hit. I had been having a hard time deciding on a color scheme and seeing that I had three sets of four, I thought, why not do three different color schemes and have my lore involve something to do with three clans run a single keep. Each different color scheme will represent the clan that the dwarf came from. I get really bored painting the same thing over and over, so this really felt right to me.

I've started with the first clan's color scheme, and of course I had to start with the classic. This this guy I'm posting below has had his base coat and initial shading done on the entire thing. For both Red and Flesh, I have brought both them up to an almost done place (minus the final highlight of white, or close to white). It wasn't my intention to make the red look so fiery, but once it started, I kind of liked it and kept the feeling going.

Let me know what you guys think.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 10-15-2016 02:11 PM

I really like this one.  It's different than the norm, and is a great start!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Miasma - 10-15-2016 03:18 PM

I love that fiery red a nice current take and the classic design. Its a nice skin tone as well a unit done like this would look fantasic. How would you do the base and metals?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-15-2016 05:28 PM

Miasma Wrote:
I love that fiery red a nice current take and the classic design. Its a nice skin tone as well a unit done like this would look fantasic. How would you do the base and metals?

Thanks, that's what I was going for.

All my bases are blasted green stone (like a barren warpstone landscape). This is anticipation of my grand plan for all my minis, which is a glass coffee table where all my armies are fighting each other.

I'm going to do my golds (NMM) and my silvers (Metallic). This is a weird combo you don't see very often, but I just really like my golds in NMM, but I really don't mind the look of the silver metallics.

I actually just took a new pic with the gold done. In this pic, the only color I haven't done anything with yet is the silver, besides that, everything is only a highlight away from being done.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 10-15-2016 05:51 PM

I'm jealous. Thats a nice scheme.  The balance with the blue is good, IMO any more blue would be too much.
Good idea with the different hats being different clans.  Only problem that I can see is that it will mean all the upper rankers in the 4th Ed models  (Leaders, Heros and Lords) being from the Flat Top Hat clan.
The fluff for the different paint schemes in my "Alliance" is just that the clans are divided between different model ranges.

By the way, Where do you hale from?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-15-2016 06:04 PM

I'm in the southwest US. A mountainous desert wasteland that any dawi zharr would appreciate.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Carcearion - 10-15-2016 09:58 PM

Oooh very good job, he looks great!

I love what you did with the shield, the gold arrows coming out the top of the head transform it into something a little dawi zharr as opposed to just chaos.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 10-15-2016 09:59 PM

You are obviously a gifted painter. The crispness of this model is super good with great effects in the highlights.

Your color scheme is really classic (Maybe lacks some black in it to be truly classic) but the fiery red is a modern twist on it.
The blue is great as the surprise color, and a unit made like this will look really good on the board. I wouldn't shy away from making small differences in the models in the same unit, by replacing some of the blue on around 50% of the models, with small areas of green or purple, just to make the unit as a whole pop.

Another consideration you could do is the beards. The Chaos Dwarfs are among the wealthiest societies and they can easily spare the expense to dye their beards to intimidate the opponents. Always keep most of them black, but some could roll with brown, white, blue or purple beards. The blue and purple ones could either be black with some highlights in said color, or painted all the way from base color to highlight in said colors. This would remove tediousness of beard, and bring variety as a whole to the army. If you want to this, you shouldn't scare at the first few "weird beards". The are going to look stunning as a unit, and moreso as an army.

Anyway I'm excited no matter what you do. You have the skill and the passion to pull of something remarkable, and I will be sure to read along <3

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - tjub - 10-16-2016 04:16 AM

Great effect!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Grimbold Blackhammer - 10-16-2016 08:37 AM

You've done justice to a great, old mini.  Good job!!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Forgefire - 10-16-2016 05:05 PM

Beatifully painted! Looking forward to see even more Happy

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bassman - 10-17-2016 05:34 AM

Brilliant! It's one of the best color schemes for the good old big hats I've ever seen. And I've seen many Wink

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Fuggit Khan - 10-17-2016 07:57 PM

As has been mentioned already, the touch of blue is lovely. A great color balance and a very nice nod to the classic color schemes.
But my favorite bit is the superb color blending and tones on his face. He looks a bit drunk (as any decent Dwarf should be) Cheers!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-17-2016 09:50 PM

Here's my first 'almost' completed CD. I just need to do the base and possibly an ax highlight, and he's where I want him. The final highlight is always the hardest, because it's the easiest time to screw everything up.

I've started in on my blue scheme CD axemen, and hope to have some WIPs for that in the near future.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 10-17-2016 10:17 PM

still nice. you haven't stuffed it up yet

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Poison - 10-18-2016 02:45 AM

really impressive paintwork. gives justice to this gorgeous mini. can't wait to see the whole force painted

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Loidrial - 10-18-2016 05:03 AM

I envy so much all the people who are able to to the NMN. Looks great!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 10-18-2016 06:41 AM

Excellent work. You have real eye for colour and your application is brilliant. I especially like the armour and hat.
Look forward to seeing more.
Regards
PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - TheHoodedMan - 10-18-2016 07:04 AM

Excellent paint job Cheers!.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-18-2016 11:03 PM

Got a picture of the next two up in the pipeline. Getting close to finishing the base layer of my Blue Scheme CDs.

To change up the bases, I've added a empire head at the third guy's feet. Because everyone loves severed heads.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Admiral - 10-19-2016 04:19 AM

Yay for severed heads! The red scheme Chaos Dwarf is beautiful.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-21-2016 06:51 PM

Here's the base coat (and one layer of blue) done of my Blue CD Clan. I'm having a hard time finding the right color of blue. I feel like the right blue is a Babylonian blue.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Zanko - 10-22-2016 06:21 AM

Awesome paintjob! Shock

I'm a little bit jealous about your skills! Wink

I'm eager to see a whole army painted in this quality! Cheers!

Hashut!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Helblindi - 10-22-2016 07:33 AM

They both look great! I like the blue one best, I have a weakness for blue and orange

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-22-2016 09:51 AM

Helblindi Wrote:
They both look great! I like the blue one best, I have a weakness for blue and orange

The orange will turn into gold on this mini. But if you like Blue and Orange, you should check out my Chicago Bears themed army: the Space Boars. It's a 40K Space Wolves army done completely in Rackham Dwarfs.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?50764

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 10-22-2016 10:39 AM

Hod, those are great.  I really like how you've painted them to look like different clans, something I'm doing (although using different company lines to do it), and your brush work is phenomenal.  

The "space boars" army over on CMoN's forum are really good, too.  Not at all what I expected to see.  Good work!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Forgefire - 10-22-2016 01:28 PM

Just looked trough your "good" dwarves. Really awesome army and brilliant paint scheme just like these cds. I like that you wont have the same scheme on everyone. Keep up the good work!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-22-2016 11:39 PM

As happens with me. I got sidetracked. I was looking through images of Babalyonian art to get some inspiration for my blue scheme and I saw the below image:

It gave me an idea for my Bull Centaurs. The idea festered for a few days and then today, I couldn't take it anymore and primed up a Bull Centaur to give my idea a go. So far it's just a base coat for the bricks and mortar, but laying down the outline for the bricks was the hard part and I like how it turned out, so I think this might just work.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 10-23-2016 02:23 AM

That is well painted but really weird. I'm not sure I like it

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Enjoysrandom - 10-23-2016 05:35 AM

I love this!
Truely great stuff exactly what I want to do with my army.
Keep it up mate!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-23-2016 08:34 AM

Malorndk Wrote:

It's definitely not normal. It could come out looking bad, and I'm not set on doing all my Bull Centaurs this way, but I thought it was worth a try. The idea was the whole CD Sorcerers turning to stone, but instead of stone, he's turning to brick.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-23-2016 10:22 AM

Got a picture of my 2nd Axe and first CD in Blue. I still have all of the gold and silver, as well as the final highlights across it all, but beyond that, I am pleased with how the blue turned out. It's a tad too greyish/blue, but I will continue to refine the color until I get the great Babylonian cobalt blue I want.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Loidrial - 10-23-2016 11:25 AM

I kinda hate you. your painting style is superb. great work here again.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Helblindi - 10-23-2016 04:54 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:
But if you like Blue and Orange, you should check out my Chicago Bears themed army: the Space Boars. It's a 40K Space Wolves army done completely in Rackham Dwarfs.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?50764

They look great! Already saw a few of those on this thread.

Btw I wouldn't go with the blue brick skin centaur, but I can understand you had to give it a try Happy

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - tjub - 10-24-2016 12:27 AM

Malorndk Wrote:

Jupp, my words exactly... Happy

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-24-2016 08:34 AM

I'm going to have to work hard on this blue tile and make it come out looking good, to silence all the naysayers. I am actually almost done with it and hope to get some pictures soon. We'll see what everyone thinks. I am liking how it is turning out, but I think it will take painting the rest of the mini for the tile to fully 'pop.' I'm planning on doing the rest of the mini in red and gold, which should really compliment the blue.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Fuggit Khan - 10-24-2016 12:11 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:

Very interesting...with your painting skills you may actually pull it off. A different concept to be sure, and a lovely shade of blue. Blue is one of my favorite colors (although I use it sparingly in my army), and it's always nice to see such rich vibrant colors.
Have you considered just painting the centaurs bodies blue (without brick patterns)?
Or perhaps sculpt green stuff 'brick patterns' on their armor? Brick pattern Big Hat?
These are just suggestions...so far I'm of the opinion that you will manage to make it work!
Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Carcearion - 10-24-2016 01:57 PM

Very cool concept and great free-hand work pulling it off. I think we're all looking forward to seeing the final result.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-24-2016 10:45 PM

I finished my first Blue scheme CD, and did a photo-shoot with the now also fully complete Red scheme CD. Just need to do the purple and I will have one of each of my Clans done.

I also have a further along version of my blue brick skinned Bull Centaur. I wouldn't say the blue brick is 100% done, but it could be close. I am interested in hearing what people have to say about it.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 10-25-2016 08:13 AM

The red and blue warrior schemes do work well.  Thank god I didn't say I'd eat my hat over my initial doubts.
The blue brick bull though just doesn't work for me in that pattern.
Your basic ideas behind it ... Is it to depict tattooing on its skin?
Maybe the same scheme in an irregular cobblestone effect?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-25-2016 10:51 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
The red and blue warrior schemes do work well.  Thank god I didn't say I'd eat my hat over my initial doubts.
The blue brick bull though just doesn't work for me in that pattern.
Your basic ideas behind it ... Is it to depict tattooing on its skin?
Maybe the same scheme in an irregular cobblestone effect?

I tried to make his body look like it was made from blue bricks, but maybe haven't achieved it. I think I am going to finish up the rest of him and then return to his rear end, and take the time to see if I cant' put my finger on what I am missing.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Grimbold Blackhammer - 10-25-2016 05:53 PM

The paint scheme for the blue bricks is pretty good but I quite honestly don't understand it.  It looks very out of place and that's why I think folks will say it isn't working.  But on a positive note, I like both of those warriors very much!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Admiral - 10-26-2016 04:18 AM

The finished warriors are exquisite. And in my favourite colour combination as well. This will be a log to savour.

The experimental Bull Centaur is ingenious. I imagine it being either a brick centaur brought to flesh and life through unholy means, or a flesh and blood Bull Centaur sorcerously tattooed or otherwise marked by Hashut, a Sorcerer-Prophet or whatever for guardianship role of the Temple.

Ingenious and highly unusual take on the Bull Centaurs, and very suitable in its unique way (it wouldn't be as tasty at all had it been commonplace among collectors). Most Chaos.

Would it work to the brickwork's favour if you added a few sandy-coloured cracks in the blue paintwork on a few of the bricks? As on the Ishtar gate. In any case, I look forward to the end results!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Will Liam - 10-26-2016 10:35 AM

I like it a lot – something a bit different to the normal chaos dwarf paint jobs – I think when you make the body part of the dwarf brighter and pop a bit more it might blend in great with a cleaner look of the bulls body – maybe a cool porcelain statue look sort of thing going on with it – pretty cool I think!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Jackswift - 10-26-2016 12:44 PM

Very nicely done! Your warriors look great and I am a fan of what you are doing with the brick effect.  I see why you sloped it given the stance.  If it isnt looking right you might try a perfectly horizontal brick work. As opposed to the slope and see if that looks better.  Or if you want to go crazy sculpt on some corners Wink  cheers

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bassman - 10-28-2016 05:23 AM

Amazing stuff again and again. Keep working. I'm pretty curious to seethe final result with the BullCentaur. I will give my feedback only when completed. Very interesting.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-28-2016 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. Had a busy week and didn't get much done, but I almost have an Axemen full base coated in my third and final color scheme: Purple as the main color, Gold as the Secondary color and Red as the Accent color. I think he's going to look good and very appropriate for the Halloween season.

I'm also getting an itch to paint one of my FW Deamonsmiths. But I think I'll try to knock out two more Axemen first. All my next Axemen will have conversions of some level. I really don't like painting the exact same mini twice, so this whole first round was painting the base mini, but after this, every other one will have some sort of conversion work before painting.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 10-30-2016 01:30 PM

More excellent work. Really like the colour choices on the CDs. I'm not sure about the Bull Centaur. Cleverly done, but as stated by others I will wait to see the finished result.
Regards
PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 10-31-2016 08:47 AM

So nothing new finished, but I got some WIP. The purple schemed CD is almost done with his base coat, but I spent a lot of today converting my next two axemen.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Fuggit Khan - 10-31-2016 02:00 PM

The dude on the left is cool, I love the chained skull hanging from his Big Hat Happy
John Blanche would approve Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-01-2016 09:37 AM

Alright, I've been a little quiet lately due to the work on the top secret Golden Hat project, but it's done and I got some pictures taken of the other minis I've finished since my last update.

I finished my Purple scheme CD and now have all three color schemes done. I think the purple turned out pretty good. The yellow gold is definitely what makes it. Before the gold, he was rather bland.

The other thing that has happened since my last update is my lighting and camera set up has finally gotten to a good place. I hate to say it, but it was the article on GW's new Community site that finally did it. You can find it HERE. But what I like about it so much, is that it just says what to do. To many of the other tutorials I've used are too vague and give way too many options (and you have a full DSLR, you know that there are just too many options already), but the GW one just said: do this with the light, do this with aperture, do this with white balance, do this with shutter speed and bam, some of the best pictures I've taken.

But on to the results:

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 12-01-2016 11:25 AM

Well, he's a nasty looking little blighter. Excellent work.

Regards
PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Murkwood - 12-01-2016 11:45 AM

Love your painting! Shock

Amazing stuff. Great schemes, especially love the purple but I'm bias. Can't wait to see your Golden Hat project.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 12-01-2016 06:42 PM

Very nice. The colours do work well together and don't wash out.
Is the next pic a group shot?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 12-01-2016 07:04 PM

That purple theme is insanely cool imho. It's one of the most vibrant bighats I have ever seen! Super good quality!!!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 12-01-2016 08:26 PM

Love the purple theme.  Very nicely painted and I'm lookingforward to more!  

I like the small conversions that you're doing with some of the big hats, too.  Just subtle enough to fit perfectly.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-02-2016 10:41 AM

So, I put the finishing touches on my Gates of Ishtar Bull Centaur. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I have another one of these exact same guys, and I think I am going to do him like this as well, but that'll be it for my blue bricked bull centaurs. I really want to do a red bull body, I have always liked those and won't miss the opportunity to try my hand at it.

I do think that I am going to do all my bull centaurs in gold scale-mail though, to keep the consistency there.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Carcearion - 12-02-2016 01:38 PM

Wow! He looks great! The colors all flow and contrast amazingly well!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Admiral - 12-02-2016 02:20 PM

Indeed. I believe in the brick bull centaur idea firmly now that the end result is here. Weird tattoos is always a fine explanation if one needs one, but an actual brick cow is more funny. Great paintjob on it and the purple one!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Fuggit Khan - 12-02-2016 05:38 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:

I like him...a bit odd at first glance, quite a bit of cleverness with the Gate of Ishtar historical reference, and a first rate paint job. All of that adds up to a cool mini Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-02-2016 11:19 PM

And the group shot of all the three color schemes. I like how they turned out. Looking forward to banging out the rest of this 15 man axemen unit. Should be fun now that I've got the colors set.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 12-03-2016 02:20 AM

I thought they'd look good all together

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Zanko - 12-03-2016 03:11 AM

Your paintjob (esp. the Bull Centaur) is just amazing! Takes Hat off

Like your style a lot! Cheers!

Hashut!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 12-03-2016 04:03 AM

Absolute to joy to look upon!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 12-03-2016 03:30 PM

I'm really loving the completed bull centaur! With regards to the axemen I've got to say despite my love of classic colour schemes, that purple scheme is my favourite. Lovely work.

PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-07-2016 08:02 PM

Got some WIP pictures of the next two CDs on the plate.

[attachment=5175]

Also trying out a new phone, the picture was taken and uploaded on it.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 12-07-2016 10:56 PM

I like them so far.  I have to say the dangling skull throws me off a bit.  I'm sure that this is exactly the intent, to sow confusion (and a bit of fear!) into the slaves/opposing army.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Carcearion - 12-07-2016 11:39 PM

These guys are gorgeous! Really great colorful schemes, with an amazing sense of depth! I wouldn't dare speak a word against this classic miniature range (lest a mob of senior members hurl me into the slave pits) Tongue but I feel like you have painted on a fair amount of extra detail to the miniatures.

Do you plan on painting the entire rank and file of the army to this high standard?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 12-08-2016 03:43 AM

Carcearion Wrote:
I wouldn't dare speak a word against this classic miniature range (lest a mob of senior members hurl me into the slave pits) Tongue but I feel like you have painted on a fair amount of extra detail to the miniatures.

Do you plan on painting the entire rank and file of the army to this high standard?

Yep.    they are very well done.
Yep.    I/We will be hurling you when we catch you.
Yep.    He probably will paint them all to his lovely standard just to unseat us "Older" critters in true Dawi Zharr fashion

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-08-2016 08:42 AM

Thanks guys.

There are a lot of big surfaces on these guys, which does give some opportunity to do some free-hand texture work. Towards the end of these axemen, I have a feeling I'm going to start getting bored and I will probably try to do some more free-hand to keep it fresh.

I am planning on painting all of my CDs to this level. For me, the amount of time I put in the mini is equal to how great a sculpt I think it is, and since I think the CDs are some of the best sculpts GW did, I am forced by my own standards to not skimp on the painting of these guys.

As to catching and hurling, I am a quick running who isn't afraid to jump on a bike (just giving a heads up) Takes Hat off .

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 12-08-2016 10:19 AM

I really am liking the schemes and I appreciate that someone else holds the classic Chaos Dwarf line in high(er) esteem.  There are times when I don't believe that these forums exist, then I remember I spend much too much time looking at all the wonderful threads here (yours included).

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-12-2016 12:22 PM

I have two more red themed CDs painted but I haven't had time to take pictures of them yet. But here is a quick shot of a little conversion I'm doing on one of my next blue theme CDs.

[attachment=5197]

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 12-12-2016 04:03 PM

I agree that the classic CDs are some of the best sculpts GW did. I always especially like the characterful faces.
Regards
PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 12-12-2016 04:24 PM

Neat little conversion. First impression was that you'd replaced the hat

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-16-2016 08:33 AM

Alright, I have the next two Blue themed chaos dwarves ready to go. I added new things to both of their hats and gave one of them lip and teeth. Hope to get them primed up and painted shortly.

[attachment=5198]

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 12-16-2016 09:43 AM

Those are great additions!  I'm glad to see this, it will create a LOT of variety in the unit.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Jackswift - 12-16-2016 02:19 PM

Brilliant schemes but uniform enough in style that they'd still look stunning mixed in a unit all together.  Well done!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - BABIS - 12-17-2016 05:33 AM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:
Alright, I have the next two Blue themed chaos dwarves ready to go. I added new things to both of their hats and gave one of them lip and teeth. Hope to get them primed up and painted shortly.

I really like the small conversions you are doing on the original models but IMO the gargoyle on the top of the hat is a bit too much! Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 12-18-2016 03:12 AM

I see what BABIS means.  Its the top of a Brettonian helm isn't it.  Maybe a bit shorter hat and it would work better.
As you've already cut the top off just drilling a hole up the "Gargoyle" may be the way to go.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-19-2016 11:07 AM

Thanks for the votes guys. I really appreciate it.

So, I took some pictures while doing that bad boy and I thought I'd post them to give a little insight into the making and painting of Lord Dragon Helm the Dragon Slayer.

First up is my making of this guy's tall hat. I think we all probably have this AoW mini, but I've never liked his lack of headgear, so I decided to make it. It was my first hat creation, and my only complaint is that I have no idea how to get a smooth surface with Greenstuff. But beyond that, I am happy with how it turned out. The dragon head is from an AxFaction mini and I added the guys original horns to it to give it the double. I built the hat up around two Dwarf shields, the smaller one being the Thunderer's shield and the bigger one just the normal dwarf Warrior shield. The horns are also from the general dwarf Warrior sprue.

The only other picture I have is of the whole thing base coated and ready to start putting all those beautiful highlights on it.

And finally the completed Lord Dragon Helm on his mount Ugly.

Thanks again to everyone who voted for it. I got me one more shinny shinny.

Cheers Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Admiral - 12-19-2016 11:19 AM

A worthy silver winner for sure, and thanks for sharing the creation of his hat! Smart use of the buckle and shield. The end result is fantastic, and clever use of the Sea Guard banner as well. Exquisite miniature. Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Carcearion - 12-19-2016 03:29 PM

Man this is just such a cool model, it’s got allot of interesting little busy details and extra pieces, you get a real impression of Chaoticness that is hard to accomplish with the big hat era Dawi Zharr, and just does a great job of blending together different styles of Chaos Dwarves.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 12-19-2016 03:48 PM

I voted so hard for this! xD
I loved a lot of the entries, but this was my first pick. Having painted the AoW model myself, I realized that you put a lot of work int the conversion, even if the model is rather small compared to other entries. The paint job is vibrant, crisp and extraordinarily good in my opinion. Very well done!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Forgefire - 12-19-2016 05:34 PM

Really great job there, had a vote from me Happy

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bassman - 12-19-2016 06:19 PM

Amazing entry here.

I am one of the few persons do not like the miniature, not my cup of tea. But the paint job is flawless and excellent choice of colors. Prize is really well deserved.

Bassman

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Jackswift - 12-20-2016 01:04 PM

One of my favorites a had my vote most definitely.  The hat and disc conversions are characterful, brilliant, and well executed... And the paint is absolutely beautifully donebin my opinion.  A sword weilding disc... come on... Just the coolest idea!  Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Murkwood - 12-20-2016 06:49 PM

Definitely had one of my votes. An amazing build and an incredible finish.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Scar - 12-21-2016 10:21 AM

very nice paint job! and great conversion!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-28-2016 12:35 AM

Well, I finished off all of my red and blue schemed Axemen. The holiday season kept me from having nights to take pictures, but now that things have settled down, I finally got a break to snap some pics.

The two new red guys I call the ghoul bros. I'll let you figure out why.

Let me know what you guys think. The gargoyle might not be everyone's favorite, but I like going big. Next up the purple scheme CDs.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Helblindi - 12-28-2016 03:16 AM

Man, I'm jealous of both your output rate and the quality of your painting. Love them!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 12-28-2016 04:17 AM

Your skill level is just unreal. The blue guys are my favorites but the red ones are good as ell

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 12-28-2016 08:02 AM

Really love the subtle conversions you have done to give each mini a bit of their own character. Excellent stuff.

Regards
PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-28-2016 10:02 AM

Helblindi Wrote:
Man, I'm jealous of both your output rate and the quality of your painting. Love them!

Thanks. I am actually working on six different armies right now, so my CD output could be greater, but I can never stay focused on one project for too long. That's why my vanilla dwarf throng is so big, it was the one I learned on, and the only one I ever focused on exclusively.

Malorndk Wrote:
Your skill level is just unreal. The blue guys are my favorites but the red ones are good as ell

I do really like how the blue guys turned out. I think they are my favorite so far. Something about the blue, red and gold just hits the eye just right (I think it's a solid balance of contrasting colors, but whatever magic was woven on the eye, I really like it too).

Pappa Midnight Wrote:
Really love the subtle conversions you have done to give each mini a bit of their own character. Excellent stuff.

My love of conversion is almost as deep as my love of painting, so there are many more to come. I just got my next two purple CDs out to start looking at them and my piles of bits. That's usually how the conversions go for me. I pick through bits and say "that'd be cool," then see if it'd fit on the model.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - tjub - 12-29-2016 05:57 AM

Stunning work! To make a smooth GS surface I recommend a "clay shaper".

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 12-29-2016 02:25 PM

I second TJub's suggestion.  I have a set of size 2 and size 0 from Green Stuff World. They are exceedingly handy for the relative few conversions and limited filling I do.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 12-29-2016 04:50 PM

@tjub & darkmeer: You know what, I do have one of those clay shappers, but I used it for blurring and shading chalk or pencil when I was a kid. I'll have to find that somewhere and give it a go.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Forgefire - 12-30-2016 01:19 AM

Damn i just love your guys! Excellent work so far!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Carcearion - 12-30-2016 01:27 AM

Wow really excellent minatures! Love the colors and conversions.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-02-2017 10:17 AM

Next up are my two more purple themed chaos dwarves. Here is a pic of the stuff I'm going to add to them. I just need to do some sawing and some green stuff and then they'll be ready to paint.  I'm going to take the advice from previous head gear alterations and cut the hat off a little lower so these dragons aren't sitting as high.

[attachment=5206]

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Admiral - 01-03-2017 05:02 AM

Exquisite rank and filers. The gargoyle and horned hat top are nice touches, though the Daemon faces on the hat backsides and the shields steals the show. Fantastic paintjobs and conversions!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-08-2017 12:36 PM

As usual, I got sidetracked and decided to start in on another bull centaur. This time I'm doing the classic red body. So far he's base coated and washed with shades.

The mouth region on this guy was hard to figure out. In the end I decided he had tusk's with chains attached around them to the skull below.

[attachment=5210]

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 01-08-2017 04:19 PM

A beauty! What shield is that?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Grimbold Blackhammer - 01-09-2017 09:33 AM

That will be a fun model to put on the table!  Good job!!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-09-2017 10:59 AM

Malorndk Wrote:
A beauty! What shield is that?

Thanks. It's a shield from the Confrontation Tir-Na-Bor Khor Warriors. I turned my Confrontation Dwarfs into a 40K army, so I have a surplus of their shields and thought the tusks fit well with the tusks on this guy's head.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-13-2017 09:15 PM

Here's a little update on the work I've done on my newest Bull Centaur. I've just done the body, but it's my first red bodied bull. I like how it turned out, now I just need to do my research on brands so I can give him a Hashut one.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - tjub - 01-14-2017 02:27 AM

Looks great, love the style!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkmeer - 01-14-2017 02:00 PM

That is very well done for a red bull centaur.  Most excellent!  I'm also curious to see the work on the purple themed CD's above, especially the serpent.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-14-2017 02:29 PM

Darkmeer Wrote:
I'm also curious to see the work on the purple themed CD's above, especially the serpent.

Got one converted, but am still finishing up the second. Did some work on him today though. If I get him converted up today, I'll try to take some pictures.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-15-2017 09:12 AM

The next 2 purple CDs are ready to paint. Just took a little motivation yesterday and I finished the conversions. The hats are still really tall, and the reason is, to make the top additions to fit right, the hat had to be cut at it's thinnest part, otherwise the shape wouldn't be right. I could have cut the hats really low to fit, but I thought, 'are these guys tall hats, or slightly shorter hats?' So I went taller.

Edit: Let me know if this picture shows up way too big.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bassman - 01-15-2017 11:36 AM

Amazing Bull centaur skin. I love it!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 01-16-2017 07:19 AM

I agree about the Bull Centaur's skin. Very nice indeed!
I like the subtle conversions you do on the the CDs with just enough to make them unique.

Regards
PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - TheHoodedMan - 01-16-2017 07:46 AM

I like the body of the bull centaur. Very good work.
Excellent idea with the hat top additions. I am looking forward how they turn out painted Cheers!.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-18-2017 09:59 PM

Forgot to post my Christmas CD haul. Got my first blunderbusses. Gunna finish up the axemen, then get into these guys.

[attachment=5216]

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 01-19-2017 12:12 AM

Nice little Xmas addition to your ranks

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Fuggit Khan - 01-19-2017 05:41 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:
Got my first blunderbusses.

It ain't a real Chaos Dwarf army if it ain't got blunders Hashut!
Looking forward to seeing these guys getting some paint and love Takes Hat off

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bloodbeard - 01-20-2017 04:03 AM

Lovely small conversion work you've done on those miniatures. I like it! Good work in this blog.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 01-20-2017 07:04 AM

Love those classic blunders!
look forward to seeing some paint on them.

PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-26-2017 07:39 PM

Thank you to all people - or the one - who nominated me for Hobbyist of the Year. In honour of this honour, I offer something new and a recap of what I have so far.

First the new. I finished my second Bull Centaur, and my first red-skinned one. I like how he came out. The brand I like - next time I'll make it bigger though. The purple in the shadows of the red skin really adds a lot (even though it is hard to see in this picture).

And to finish, a shot of what has been done. I have 2 more purple schemed Axemen to do, then a champion of each of my three color schemes. After that it's the Axemen command group which will be four minis. Then on to the Blunderbusses.

It was a good 2016, and even though 2017 scares the hell out of me, it'll be a good year for Chaos dwarfs (my positive spin).

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - zobo1942 - 01-27-2017 12:07 AM

Whoa. Amazing work!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Malorndk - 01-27-2017 12:22 AM

I have praised your work before but I must say that this new bullcentaur is right up my alley. Extremely good! <3

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Abecedar - 01-27-2017 06:05 AM

Yours is a stand-out effort.  Very, very Nice.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Darkson - 01-28-2017 01:09 AM

Simply Wow!

That is some outstanding painting.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bloodbeard - 01-28-2017 03:13 AM

The colours on your guys are insanely well done. Wow! Sharp painting Hod! Have a bit of slaves.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - BigHatsBestHats - 01-28-2017 02:21 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:
It was a good 2016, and even though 2017 scares the hell out of me, it'll be a good year for Chaos dwarfs (my positive spin).

Your models are absolutely gorgeous, you are doing them true justice.
Surprisingly, though I wasn't a fan of the blue "brick" bull centaur being a rather traditionalist person, the blue centaur is my favorite out of the two. You seem to be able to match unorthodox colors together in a very cohesive way. I am truly envious of your enormous talents and skill.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Murkwood - 01-28-2017 10:24 PM

Plans for more of the superiror purple ones?! Big Grin

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-29-2017 12:18 PM

Murkwood Wrote:
Plans for more of the superiror purple ones?! Big Grin

The next two up are purple Axemen. I'm even thinking of doing a painting tutorial on them if there's any interest in something like that.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Willmark - 01-30-2017 04:43 PM

Fan-friggintastic painting. Colors are so vibrant. Wow.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - BigHatsBestHats - 01-30-2017 11:09 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:
The next two up are purple Axemen. I'm even thinking of doing a painting tutorial on them if there's any interest in something like that.

Yes please that would be much appreciated.

I want to see your work on a Great Taurus with Lord model. Any chance of that happening?

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 01-31-2017 10:56 AM

BigHatsBestHats Wrote:
I want to see your work on a Great Taurus with Lord model. Any chance of that happening?

I don't have one right now, but might possibly pick one up in the future. They're expensive little buggers and I got enough CD goodness to keep me occupied for a few years, so I wouldn't expect it in the near future. I also have found that I don't like the bigger models as much. The surfaces are just too big - and scary. I'm thinking of getting an airbrush some time in the next year or so, maybe then I'll be more into the bigger models. I have a Tir-Na-Bor chariot that I've had sitting around - half completed - for literally four years. It's looking at me right now. I need to be quiet.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - BigHatsBestHats - 02-02-2017 04:20 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:
I don't have one right now, but might possibly pick one up in the future. They're expensive little buggers and I got enough CD goodness to keep me occupied for a few years, so I wouldn't expect it in the near future. I also have found that I don't like the bigger models as much. The surfaces are just too big - and scary. I'm thinking of getting an airbrush some time in the next year or so, maybe then I'll be more into the bigger models. I have a Tir-Na-Bor chariot that I've had sitting around - half completed - for literally four years. It's looking at me right now. I need to be quiet.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed about that. I really like your blue bull centaur and I can imagine a Great Taurus with the same paint scheme would be absolutely amazing.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Willmark - 02-02-2017 05:11 PM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:

BigHatsBestHats Wrote:

Naaaahhhh you'll be fine. You have some awesome painting skills.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Bassman - 02-08-2017 04:04 PM

Awesome, some of the best Chaos Dwarfs ever seen. Do not be scared, your big monsters will be ace! Come on, do not behave like an hobgoblin, you're a dwarf, for Hashut's sake! (old dwarf grumpling) Sorcerer

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Timothy Archer - 02-09-2017 09:34 AM

probably the best painted CD ever seen too ! can't say much , its flawless work !

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 02-09-2017 09:58 AM

Thanks guys. I'll have to take into considerations the 'kind' word about the big minis Tongue Wink   I do have Taur'ruk, so we'll see how his large bull body goes, maybe I'll love it...

I've been a little sidetracked by 40K lately, but I have my next two CD's primed and hopefully they'll get some time this weekend. I am hoping to do a tutorial on how I do purple scale armor and the gold on their hats. Those two things seem to be the best 'popping' parts of the mini, so they seem like the obvious choice for a tutorial. The only other things that make sense are the black beard or his face.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Pappa Midnight - 02-09-2017 10:39 AM

Timothy Archer Wrote:
probably the best painted CD ever seen too ! can't say much , its flawless work !

Got to agree with the above you have some serious painting mojo!

PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 03-02-2017 01:50 PM

Finally got the time to work on my next CDs (All this new shinny Sisters of Battle stuff is too pretty for me not to want to tart up with loud colors). I've gotten through the purple and the skin, and as I promised, I took pictures along the way to show how I do my layering. This tutorial is in no way a "how to paint" tutorial, but more of a "how I paint" tutorial. What I do is not for everyone, but maybe there is a thing or two you can take from it that will help your own style. Because that is one thing I love about mini painting, everyone has their own style and take on the same minis, and it's fun to see what people do.

To start, I always Base coat my minis in black because I paint from the darkest shadow up to the brightest highlight. So by Base Coating in black, I can blend my first layer of color to black and ensure that all of my colors go all the way to black somewhere. I also Base in black because instead of going back at the end to paint the black lines between colors, I like to paint them in from the beginning so I can get more fading on their edges and get more dynamic shapes out of my black regions. Because even thought I do get a lot of color out of my minis, it's not always from super bright mid-tones, but usually from each color having a black (or nearly black) part and a white (or nearly white) part. Because in my opinion: Contrast = Pop = Good Mini

So on to the layers. I'll start with Purple since it is the main color.

On my first layer, I just try to get a good solid color (which can take a few coats over black depending on the color), while still leaving all the black spaces I want. This is important on this layer: Don't get color into your recesses. All my recesses (at least most) are black. I never try to butt colors up next to each other, but always use black to separate them. It creates a more cartoony look, but that what I go for.

I always put my first layer of color for all the colors on before doing any of the shading or highlighting. I do this so I don't miss any parts I want one color, but don't realize it until I've already spent hours painting that color.

PURPLE LAYER 1: Base Purple

Like I said, I go from darkest to lightest, but I don't like my first layer to be too dark, because darker colors have less 'color' in them. So what I do next is take the whole mini to its darkest. On this layer, you can skip  some of the places you know you want to highlight and will never be shaded - or you can just do it all. I don't water down my shades, but shake them well. If you are getting shinny in your recesses though (which is the ULTIMATE SIN in mini painting), water down the shade a little and be careful about large polls drying in the recesses. You should let this shade layer dry totally - it's really the only one I care to let dry.

PURPLE LAYER 2: Shade

From the darkest, I then take it back to the light. I actually skip a normal step, which is to re-apply the Layer 1 color. If that color is your  mid-tone, then go ahead and re-apply, but almost always, I want a brighter mid-tone, so my next layer is one step above my Layer 1 color. I always paint with a top down light source. So here I just follow that and paint this color so it covers about 2/3 of the surface (1/3 if you want an overall darker feeling color).

PURPLE LAYER 3: Low Mid-Tone

The next layer is much like the last, with the new one covering either 1/3 of the previous color if you want the previous color to be more prominently the mid-tone or 2/3 if you want this color to take more control of the mid-tone.

PURPLE LAYER 4: High Mid-Tone

The final layer is the highlight. It can be the hardest, even though it's the least amount of painting. The best way I've heard for how to lay down the highlight, is to 'kiss it with paint.' And I'm not talking about how you'd kiss a wife, but more like you mother: a short quick jerk that lends itself to the minimal contact with your lips and your moms, or in our case, your brush and you mini. Press a little too hard, and you're full on kissing mom, or messing up your mini. So, for the highlight, get the smallest brush you have and just try to tap on the color - where the first three attempts to tap paint on don't even touch the mini because you are trying to get just the right distance. On the shields below, I put it on a little too heavy and it shows. It looks alright, but not as good as it would have if the touches were finer.

PURPLE LAYER 5: Highlight

Hope this was somewhat useful. I have the pictures set up for the face tutorial, and hopefully will get it up soon too.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Forgefire - 03-02-2017 02:35 PM

Thanks for that tutorial i was curious as to how you went about it! Takes Hat off
slaves sent!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Slavemaster Hod - 03-02-2017 02:37 PM

On to the face.

It's much like the purple in how I do my layers. The only difference is what I do between my mid-tone and highlight.

I've always found faces to be easy, and eyes really hard. For me faces are about highlighting the nose, cheeks, lips, eyelids. They eyes on the other hand show me the mini's soul, so are not just color theory.

The first three layers are just like my purple. Base coat color, leaving what black you want to keep. A Shade to take it to it's darkest. Then a color one step up in brightness from the base color. The only thing strange I'm doing here is using the green based skin tone for the base color. I do it to make them feel a little more evil and sickly. I've found base skin tones that aren't based on peach, really make something feel not human.

FACE LAYER 1: Base Face Color

FACE LAYER 2: Shade

FACE LAYER 3: Mid-Tone

Here's where I do something different than the purple. I water down a red to a super thin consistency and then apply many thin layers over his cheeks, nose, and lips. How many layers all depends on how red you want it. Thin watery layers take awhile to dry and you might need to set it aside for a few minutes every few layers. One thing people who paint skin will tell you is that peach is not the only color in our skin. So adding this other color (red, purple, green) makes skin look much more real.

FACE LAYER 4: Reddening the Skin

With the red done, I apply the final highlight and do the eyes. I do the eyes in the highlight color an then just a black dot. The most important part about the eyes is making sure their not cross. The next thing you want is the black dot to be toward the upper part of the eye. After that, it's dumb luck. But the nice thing is you can just paint over the black dot and keep redoing it until the black dot gods bless you with a eye position that brings your mini to life. A correction on the paint color below. I actually used Flayed One Flesh and not Screaming Skull (although I think they are close).

FACE LAYER 5: Highlight

Hope this has helped.

And in case you missed it. My Purple Tutorial is on the previous page.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Slavemaster Hod - 03-04-2017 08:37 AM

Forgefire Wrote:
Thanks for that tutorial i was curious as to how you went about it! Takes Hat off
slaves sent!

Thanks. Yea, it's not too complicated. I just takes the right consistency of paint and attention to the strokes.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Forgefire - 03-04-2017 01:22 PM

I will try this techniques next time i paint your minis really pop, every rank and file soldier is a pleasure to look at!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Pappa Midnight - 03-06-2017 08:17 AM

Very nice tutorials for the purple and faces. It's always interesting to see other people's techniques. Thanks for sharing.
For the faces I tend to use red ink washes for the eye sockets and a small amount of purple wash on the nose and lips (army painter inks).

PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Slavemaster Hod - 03-10-2017 05:46 PM

Up up next for me. I'm thinking of doing him in green, I really like how it looks on Falters Army, and this guy's got a new hat shape so might as well give it a new color.

[attachment=5252]

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Slavemaster Hod - 03-11-2017 09:53 AM

Pappa Midnight Wrote:
Very nice tutorials for the purple and faces. It's always interesting to see other people's techniques. Thanks for sharing.
For the faces I tend to use red ink washes for the eye sockets and a small amount of purple wash on the nose and lips (army painter inks).

PM

I'll have to try that Purple on the lips - I like how that sounds. I've always used red, but for CDs purple does make a lot more sense (it gives it a warm, but at the same time cold, feel).

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Slavemaster Hod - 04-02-2017 10:20 AM

Finally got around to taking pictures of my latest completed Axemen, two new purple guys.

And all three purple Axemen together.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Malorndk - 04-03-2017 01:59 AM

Exquisite! Simply brilliant!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Abecedar - 04-03-2017 07:45 PM

I have to find a flaw...................
Okay found one.  Ahha - Green Rocks.
Love them.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - tjub - 04-04-2017 12:38 AM

Wonderful!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Carcearion - 04-04-2017 03:57 PM

Glorious work! Once again I love what you have done with the shields! such a subtle alteration and suddenly they are as Chaos Dwarf as big hats and curly beards Cheers!

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Slavemaster Hod - 04-05-2017 09:17 AM

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to spend some more time with my CDs and finish off the last guy to make a complete unit of 10 axemen, and then on to blunderbusses - with maybe a side project having to do with a Rackham miniature being turned into a Bull Centaur.

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Pappa Midnight - 04-05-2017 09:27 AM

Lovely work as always. I agree about the shields, just a small change really changes the whole feel of them.

PM

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Horace - 04-19-2017 05:27 AM

Wow really nice painting, love the vivid colour schemes

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9 - Forgefire - 07-01-2017 04:40 AM

How goes it Hod? Time for an update? Happy