CDO Forums
Artisan's Contest XXI - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Artisan's Contest XXI (/showthread.php?tid=16877)

Artisan's Contest XXI - Bloodbeard - 03-08-2017 05:09 AM

Artisan's Contest XXI

Chaos Dwarf Boardgames!

The goal of this contest is to create a 'Chaos Dwarf themed boardgame'.

In recent years Games Workshop have put of a truckload of different boardgames, based around their miniatures. Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, Bloodbowl, The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Caith, Gangs of Commarragh, Gorechosen, Stormcloud Attack etc.

We want you to create a boardgame using Chaos Dwarf miniatures (or related miniatures).

The size of your boardgame is completely up to you as an entrant.

Must contain:
* Your boardgame must include rules for and be centered around some kind of Chaos Dwarf, Hobgoblin or Bull Centaur miniatures.

You can use 28mm miniatures from any company as long as they are evil dwarfs (or bull centaurs, hobgoblins), Manowar ships, Warmaster etc.

* Your entry must include all rules, graphics, counters etc that must be used in playing the game. Besides miniatures.

Your entry must include written rules for your game. If the game needs specific counters you must include those for printing.

* You're allowed to asume your players (being wargamers) have access to some standard terrain, rulers, assorted dice, coins or coloured stones for counters.

* Scale. You can enter as little as a 1 page pdf document with text on how to play duels between two heroes. Or you can enter a .rar archieve with a full colour rulebook, art, fluff text, print and cut tokens and a campaign system for your game. The scale is completely up to you.

Ideas:
Here's some ideas for possible boardgames containing Chaos Dwarfs.
* Bullcentaur track racing.
* Zharrling bathtub ship battles with Manowar or Admiralty miniatures.
* Knife in the back - a sneaky git game of knife fighting.
* Arena Combat - Dawi Zharr pitfighters against the monsters from the wasteland.
* Petried! A magical duel between propehts, last to petrify wins.
* Minecart racing. Hobgolin slavemasters racing in cart through a labyrinth.

You're allowed to be inspired by known games, but with changes. Think 2d6 dice games, ludo, chess, rock-paper-scissors. There's a lot of simple mechanics, that can make a quick small boardgame.

How and what to enter
To enter this competition you must provide a single file for the Staff, containing your finished game. Please provide a link to dropbox, googledrive or similiar cloud service. Send the link in a PM to Bloodbeard.

Or send your entry in an email to Bloodbeard on
Blodskaeg (funky-a) gmail (dotdotdot) com.

Please provide a .pdf, .rar or .zip containing your complete boardgame.

The Staff will then host all entries, so entries can remain anonymous.

Deadline
Writing rules, making a nice setup, testing your game - it all takes time. Entries must be provided to Bloodbeards mail or as a PM before:
April 19th - 2017, 23.59 GMT+1.

Prize
Our very own Jackswift have donated a mighty fine prize for the 1st place in this competition.

10 metal miniatures from Russian Alternative. The Dwarfs of Fire Canyon with Harqebuses.

A big thank you to Jackswift! You should consider sending him some slaves.

If you want to contribute with prizes for this or future competitions, please contact Bloodbeard og Admiral.

Go go go! Let's make some cool boardgames. Any questions, please let us know.

On behalf of the Staff

//Bloodbeard

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Malorndk - 03-08-2017 05:15 AM

Woah! That seems pretty cool but hella time consuming xD

Nice donation Jackswift! <3

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Herby - 03-08-2017 05:26 AM

Boom baby! Create your own board game...damn!

A little bit too ambitious don't you think so?

What amount of time and energy you will have to offer for such a project?

And don't forget to mention talent and some sort of idea.

How many guys would enter that contest? I guess 0 to 1.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - TheHoodedMan - 03-08-2017 05:28 AM

You`re nuts.
That is a great idea for a contest, congratulations for this.
I`ll try to make something ready, that is a real challenge.
Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Carcearion - 03-08-2017 05:37 AM

Great Donation! Thanks Jackswift!

Really interesting contest idea! Maybe we should consider trying to get some forum go'ers togeather on roll20 or something to test them out before we vote

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Bloodbeard - 03-08-2017 05:51 AM

You don't have to make anything that's insanely big. A boardgame can be something as simple as rock-paper-scissors hidden as a small miniature game.

Sneaky Git stabs Black Orc
Black Orc crushes Chaos Dwarf
Chaos Dwarf whips Sneaky Git

Or a simply 2d6 game

A bull centaur has 2d6'' of movement. Whos first around the track.

Or ludo. But instead of 4 similar pieces, you choose models and they have some spefic rules. BCs roll 2 dice and choose the highest for movement. Chaos Dwarfs have to be hit twice to die.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Bloodbeard - 03-08-2017 05:53 AM

Added the following (as it is in the thought behind the competition, but not really clear enough).

You're allowed to be inspired by known games, but with changes. Think 2d6 dice games, ludo, chess, rock-paper-scissors. There's a lot of simple mechanics, that can make a quick small boardgame.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Herby - 03-08-2017 06:05 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Added the following (as it is in the thought behind the competition, but not really clear enough).

YES thanks! That's an important note. And now I'm already thinking about if I should do it...Unsure...so much work...Sick

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Malorndk - 03-08-2017 06:55 AM

I have the idea, down to rules, layouts and so forth.
Now I'll have to consider whether I have the time to do it Wink

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Slavemaster Hod - 03-08-2017 08:25 AM

WOW. That's a new one. Well, I'll have to start thinking about what I can do here. One questions though, can it be a App Game? Or does it have to be a physical game?

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Bloodbeard - 03-08-2017 08:38 AM

Slavemaster Hod Wrote:
WOW. That's a new one. Well, I'll have to start thinking about what I can do here. One questions though, can it be a App Game? Or does it have to be a physical game?

Only boardgame and one file. But please go ahead and make us an app game!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Nicodemus - 03-08-2017 11:21 AM

I peaked too soon with my Warhammer Quest variant for Chaos Dwarfs... otherwise I could have used it here Wink

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Fuggit Khan - 03-08-2017 01:30 PM

Super cool idea! Yeah! Cheers!
Do I dare say it? I love board games more than table top miniature gaming (I'll have to keep an eye out for a knife in the back after that comment).
I grew up on board games, especially Avalon Hill and SPI games: Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader, Iron Ships and Iron Men, Shiloh, etc.
But sadly I can't participate Sad
Too much real life stuff taking up my time at the moment, but I will be waiting with great anticipation to see what you guys come up with Takes Hat off

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Our very own Jackswift have donated a mighty fine prize for the 1st place in this competition.

A big thank you to Jackswift! You should consider sending him some slaves.

Indeed! Jackswift, pm me with your mailing address, I will send you something better than slaves, I'm gonna send you some Yamato models for your Full Thrust space fleet games Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Abecedar - 03-08-2017 04:19 PM

Definitely a daunting challenge. Good luck all

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Jackswift - 03-08-2017 06:40 PM

Hmm... some deep thought, and time may have to go into this one.  Will have to think on it.  Sometimes it is harder to do something simple...  Plus gaming and the prerequisite modelling have only had about 1% of my time of late...

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
I'm gonna send you some Yamato models for your Full Thrust space fleet games Takes Hat off

ShockShock Woohoo!... and thank you sir!  Not that I don't already have plenty.Cheers!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Helblindi - 03-09-2017 02:09 AM

I've been walking around with a game variant I wanted to make, and it's very suitable for chaos dwarfs, so should be fun!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Dînadan - 03-09-2017 11:10 AM

Nice theme, going to need some thought. Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Abecedar - 03-09-2017 05:24 PM

I'm now screwed.   I've had so many scraps of ideas appear in my head and they've all turned into a gooey congealed mess, sort of like soggy oatmeal

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Jackswift - 03-09-2017 06:23 PM

Abecedar Wrote:
...and they've all turned into a gooey congealed mess, sort of like soggy oatmeal

Well if you turn a big hat upside down you could fill it with oatmeal... and then try to run it across a lava field whilst being shot at by hobgobilns and chased by hangry (ie. angry because they are hungry for oatmeal... and chaos dwarf chef) bull centaurs without spilling too much to have something to put on the altar... call it "Hashut's Breakfast" or "The Most Important Meal... (whose meal is up for debate)" and I think you have the base for a lively game... Tongue Wink

Aww flirk... gave it away... now I have to come up with another idea...

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - TheHoodedMan - 03-09-2017 06:51 PM

My basic idea's already taking some shape.

I love AH games as well, Fuggit,  for example 1830, Republic of Rome or my favorite Merchant of Venus. Most of them are very time consuming Wink.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Abecedar - 03-10-2017 02:09 AM

Jackswift Wrote:

Abecedar Wrote:
...and they've all turned into a gooey congealed mess, sort of like soggy oatmeal

Well if you turn a big hat upside down you could fill it with oatmeal... and then try to run it across a lava field whilst being shot at by hobgobilns and chased by hangry (ie. angry because they are hungry for oatmeal... and chaos dwarf chef) bull centaurs without spilling too much to have something to put on the altar... call it "Hashut's Breakfast" or "The Most Important Meal... (whose meal is up for debate)" and I think you have the base for a lively game... Tongue Wink

Aww flirk... gave it away... now I have to come up with another idea...

I'll be generous, You can have that one.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Admiral - 03-16-2017 08:10 AM

Original contest idea by Bloodbeard. This will be something special to look forward to. Best of luck, folks!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Slavemaster Hod - 03-19-2017 11:30 PM

I finally got an idea. I think it's going to be good. It involves stranded chaos dwarfs trying to get back to their ziggurats -- and goblin slaves are involved.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Shub-Nullgurath - 03-20-2017 03:47 AM

I'm in for this and I've got an idea all set up in my head.

Mostly because I could do with those Harquebuses to round out my dwarfs but that's beside the point. :p

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Admiral - 03-23-2017 07:05 PM

How's everyone's entries going?

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Carcearion - 03-23-2017 08:21 PM

I've got a board designed, and a basic rule set written up Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Helblindi - 03-24-2017 02:58 PM

I don't think mine's gonna happen. Playtesting some ideas, but it seems bland. So I don't feel motivated to actually make the stuff I now pillage from other games for playtesting.
It's fine though, got some other stuff competing for the same free time Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - cornixt - 03-24-2017 04:44 PM

I've got an idea, a variant on a game I've been poking around for a while.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Jackswift - 03-27-2017 05:27 PM

Drawing a blank thus far... but that may change before the deadline...

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Dînadan - 03-29-2017 08:19 PM

Just had a second idea for a game, and might scrap my original idea in favour of it.  Just got to think up some innovations to make it distinct from the game that inspired it.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Carcearion - 04-07-2017 09:58 PM

A little under two weeks left to go, still plenty of time to get allot done (lol in theory) Tongue Wink

Hows are everyone's games coming along?

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Abecedar - 04-08-2017 01:55 AM

I've gotten absolutely no-where with it so far.  I keep hitting practicality road blocks

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Will Liam - 04-08-2017 03:17 AM

Have designed the board and most of the rules – had a small game of it today and it was heaps boring!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Zanko - 04-08-2017 07:14 AM

I still have no idea what to make / design ... Sad

Hashut!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Slavemaster Hod - 04-08-2017 08:00 AM

I'm almost done, just need to put in the last push in creating the all the pieces.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - cornixt - 04-14-2017 01:48 PM

I thought I was done, then I noticed a couple of comp rules that I didn't see before. I'm going to have to tweak it a bit.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Carcearion - 04-14-2017 06:26 PM

Oh no I got allot done the night of the contest announcement, but now it seems the deadline is just around the corner!  Shock

I'd better get back to work on it soon

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Bloodbeard - 04-17-2017 06:36 AM

Still a couple of days left to enter the competition. I hope a lot of you will have something ready!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Admiral - 04-17-2017 06:57 AM

I've got something as lousy and ugly in the works as it is probably unplayable. Count it as filler. Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Dînadan - 04-17-2017 11:12 AM

Just finished my entry after several days working at it and just realised the comp specified a miniatures game and I've done something that doesn't use miniatures Angry. Might be able to shoehorn in minis though but it'll probably only be superfluous rather than having an in game effect. Unsure

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Abecedar - 04-17-2017 11:33 PM

I think markers depicting CD's would work.?
I'm back at work now after a month off.  I had no inspiration at all during my holidays and now that the deadline is looming my idea has gelled into something workable.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Admiral - 04-18-2017 06:47 AM

Best of luck, folks!

Mine is in.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - cornixt - 04-18-2017 02:25 PM

Mine is in. I'm less happy with the submitted design than I was with the original. I'll give a link to the original when the comp is over.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Admiral - 04-19-2017 03:54 AM

Last day, last chance. Onward to glory and submit your boardgames.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Carcearion - 04-19-2017 07:06 AM

dead oh no, I might not make it... So close but so far

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Bloodbeard - 04-20-2017 02:02 AM

And we're done. I gotten a very nice amount of entries. I'll set up a voting thread as sooon as possible.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Abecedar - 04-20-2017 04:46 AM

I've had problems with these computers it seems. I thought I'd posted stuff this morning.  Hmmmmm.

Anyway.  I had a thought (yes it did hurt).  When the voting thread comes up I'm betting there is going to be lots of questions about the games.
Would an added FAQ component be too much?  If someone has a question, the author of that game could PM the staff with the FAQ as they see it and then it could be added to the entry.

I know that when I write something, I know what I'm trying to say. But other readers often don't have the same viewpoint

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Nicodemus - 04-20-2017 12:05 PM

I think I know what you mean. Sounds fiddly.  What about an additional brief description for each entry. Let the contributors do their best to anticipate questions and address them in their description, and give them an additional 3 days to provide it? Perhaps written in 200 words or less?

~N

RE: Artisan's Contest XXI - Bloodbeard - 04-20-2017 12:19 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
I think I know what you mean. Sounds fiddly.  What about an additional brief description for each entry. Let the contributors do their best to anticipate questions and address them in their description, and give them an additional 3 days to provide it? Perhaps written in 200 words or less?

~N

Sure, that could work.