CDO Forums
Scribe's Contest X - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Scribe's Contest X (/showthread.php?tid=17085)

Scribe's Contest X - Admiral - 07-14-2017 10:44 AM

Chaos Dwarfs Online Presents: The 10th Scribe's Contest writing competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

We are pleased to announce that this Scribe's Contest has been sponsored by Admiralty Miniatures. There will be one prize of this unpainted 5x10,5 cm resin relief plate Four Reliefs for the Gold winner:

”In the mists of an ancient age, the desperate ancestors of the Dawi Zharr stood upon the brink of oblivion in a world gone mad. Their only salvation came from the Father of Darkness, from the fiery Bull God on high, from He who is Hashut. This rapacious and oppressive deity demanded that His newfound followers cast off all their ties to the Ancestor Gods and their old lifestyle, and led His tribe to the Plain of Zharrduk where they constructed a titanic ziggurat city as their primary stronghold. At the top of this edifice, Mingol Zharr-Naggrund the Great, sits the Temple of Hashut, a monumental building with a myriad of daughter shrines scattered throughout the dark empire of the Chaos Dwarfs. The Temple, just like the Cult of Hashut at large, is colourful and bloodthirsty, filled with mysticism and sacrifice.

Each day, uncounted followers pray to Hashut, adulate him and His mighty idols, and sacrifice masses of slaves to appease His wrath or win His favour. All these fanatics have devoted their entire existence to the service of the Father of Darkness, and have carved out a worldly realm in His dreaded image. This Cult with its labyrinthine sects, Sorcerer-Prophets and often contradictive strains of tradition, is as well established as any religion could hope to be. Yet for all the heavy layers of paraphernalia, scripture and devoted practices, the true nature of the Bull God remains a mystery. Or so would the rulers of the priesthood have it...

At the borders of utter stark heresy and at the most baleful peril to their souls, sanity, social standing and bodies, there exist prophecies, outlawed writings and revelations. Likewise there survives a  great number of cryptic texts dealing with the true nature of Hashut in a matter dealing with theology, the Empyrean, the Dark Gods or even Daemonsmithing. A rare few twisted souls whisper that the Father of Darkness is a fallen Ancestor God. Others, shunned outcasts, claim that he is but a Daemon Prince, or the manifestation of the Dwarfen race's unbridled greed. Elsewhere, Chaos Sorcerors, lying Daemons and mystics alike claim to know the heinous facts.

Whatever the truth, the highest priesthood in the Temple of Hashut will kill and hunt anyone to the ends of the earth to keep it hidden...

These are the words of the Forbidden Ones.“

Subject Matter: The True Nature of the Father of Darkness
The theme for this writing competition is  to grapple with the question of who, or what is Hashut? This is an open format theme, meaning that almost any type of background text and fiction about Hashut will be accepted.

Your entry could consist of a mysterious traveller's tale in an inn or under an open night sky; Kurgan legends; a conversation with a Daemon; heretical writings or a secret trial against a blasphemer; or something else entirely.

Writing Rules
The word limit for each entry is 10-300 words in total. Since this is an open format theme, you may write your entry as one or more quotes, proverbs, tales, songs, stories etc. Descriptive background texts about the being of Hashuy (of the kind you may find in any Warhammer army book) and fiction from the perspective of one or more characters (of the kind you may find in any Black Library novel) are allowed. Age of Sigmar entries are of course welcome.

All entries are to be written "in-universe", meaning no lines about D6s or green stuff are allowed. See the General Rules.

You are encouraged to ask Admiral about whether your entry meet the requirements or not, should you be unsure.

Spellcheck
Please spellcheck your entry before submission. Even so, to help even the field for the non-native English speakers, Admiral may correct grammar and spelling mistakes within the limits of his grasp of the English language.

Inspiration Sources
Anything can be your inspiration, including your latest tabletop game. See the Guidelines, and Chaos Dwarf Stories & Background Section. (You are not allowed to copy someone else's work!)

For this particular contest it might be interesting to seek inspiration from the Liber Chaotica tomes.

Please read the full rules and guidelines that apply to the Scribe's Contest competition before submitting your entry!

Deadline: 11:59 PM 30th of July 2017 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Submit your entry by PM to the Scribe account before the deadline. Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have a little under 2 weeks to complete your entry.)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff before the deadline. In order to avoid problems, we strongly advise entrants not to wait until the very last minute to submit their entries... As things can and do go wrong at the last minute. Please do not send entries to individual Admin or Staff members to submit on your behalf as they may not check their PMs!

How to Enter
Write one or more pieces of fiction or background about Chaos Dwarfs as seen through the eyes of others, invented by you, and send a PM to Scribe (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the entry. The moderator organizing the contest will then check the inbox one or a few days before deadline and verify to each entrant that their submission was received.

If you win
- Take your place in the upcoming Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame (to be created), where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Scribe's Contest medal for your online persona:

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 40 people enter we award 40 slaves to each person who entered.
- If you win Gold, you'll win a dungeon clutter model prize, courtesy of Zealot Wargames.

Entries will count towards a participation medal, which is the simpler Scribe's Contest equivalent of Artisan's Contest and Golden Hat veteran medals.

As usual once all entries are received a voting thread will be created. If there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Summary
Subject Matter: The True Nature of the Father of Darkness.
Deadline: 11:59 PM 30th of July 2017 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

If any forum members would like to aid Scribe's Contest by donating models or other materials as prizes for future competitions, feel free to contact myself or one of the Staff to help sort out details.

Now, carve your tablet. Sharpen your pen and dip it in fresh slave blood, for Hashut demands words!

The Staff

Also on CDO: Photobucket TOS Woes & Third party image hosting
Photobucket Migration to the Darklands – Stage I
Photobucket Migration to the Darklands - Stage II

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Carcearion - 07-14-2017 02:27 PM

Sounds like a great topic! I think all the entries together will form a delightfully contradictory anthology- something which made the last scribe contest a really fun read.

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Forgefire - 07-14-2017 05:52 PM

Hard topic initially bit i will tryck tog enter. This will be fun Takes Hat off

RE: Scribe's Contest X - MadHatter - 07-15-2017 03:45 PM

Very good, I'll start work on my piece right away. To the laboratory!

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Jackswift - 07-17-2017 01:52 AM

Hmmm... A prize worthy of significant effort.  I shall endeavor to enter.

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Grimbold Blackhammer - 07-17-2017 08:32 AM

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.  I need to put some thought into this one!

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Roark - 07-18-2017 09:30 AM

My favourite topic! But I'm doubtful I'll be able to do Him justice...

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Admiral - 07-30-2017 07:17 PM

Deadline's closing. Good work entering, chaps. I've just come home from a tournament. Need to spellcheck etc. and answer correspondence at the very least before voting can be launched. Please bear with the wait.

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Admiral - 07-31-2017 10:00 AM

Entries have arrived prior to deadline. However, a couple of entrants have a thing to fix to meet the requirements. Normally I'd have caught this in the run-up to the deadline and asked them to fix it in time, but now I've been too busy and then away to a tournament on top of everything else, so that "service" has not been in place as usual. Irregular, perhaps, but there are good reasons to wait a little for corrections. Please excuse the waiting time. With some speed, it might be real short, but above all the texts are worth the wait.

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Abecedar - 08-01-2017 05:46 AM

No problems from me about a little alleged delay

RE: Scribe's Contest X - Enjoysrandom - 08-01-2017 08:00 AM

I also stuffed up Abe... bloody Aussies!