CDO Forums
Artisan's Contest XXII - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Artisan's Contest XXII (/showthread.php?tid=17218)

Artisan's Contest XXII - Admiral - 09-06-2017 08:16 AM

"We don't spend all day slaying, all life warring, you beardless buffoon!"

Carcearion's Bit Forge Presents: Artisan's Contest XXII!

Beyond the Battlefield: Civilian Life in the Dark Empire

The goal here is to make some civilian Chaos Dwarf stuff! People can enter with any number of models or terrain pieces. As long as your entry contain at least one Chaos Dwarf miniature, you can do as you please with the rest.

You are welcome to add pack animals, carts, slaves, sacrificial victims and suchlike. You're likewise welcome to make a diorama out of your entry, if you wish.

Given the hundreds of thousands of slaves surrounding the Chaos Dwarfs, one would expect a lot of armour to be worn all day long in common life, and whips and weapons, too. Arms or armour won't disqualify anyone, and whips will be ever relevant whether in war or peace.

Apart from that, the spirit here is tools over weapons, aprons over war banners, ceremonial processions over ranked regiments, clearing out bull muck in sacred Temple stables over warleaders flying proud upon monsters into battle. Go for the ordinary, the grubby labour, or the familiar and intimate, or the low and filthy, or the crafts and arts, or for the high and mysterious and unholy. Go to town if you wish with Daemonsmith laboratories, worship scenes, scrying mystics, preaching prophets, overlordly audience chambers, Dawi Zharr families, stonecarvers erecting monuments, street markets, torture chambers, harems, workshops, shipyards, slave auctions, quarries, gladiatorial arenas, Hobgoblin hut life or nightmarish slave pits - or something else completely - but don't go to war!

The CDO Staff won't be picky with what entries are accepted. Instead we expect voters to reward those entries which play fully to the spirit of the contest theme, as is usually the case.

However, for this round, please don't enter Blood Bowl miniatures. It'd be a bit too easy, and they'll get proper contest themes of their own.

Still, if you are unsure whether your entry will meet the requirements please PM Admiral or Bloodbeard .

Prize

Admiralty Miniatures will reward the gold winner with a couple of whitemetal Hobgoblin Slavedrivers of Ancient Times, soon to be released!

Carcearion has been kind enough to donate this sample sprue from his Bit Forge to the silver winner!

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral or Bloodbeard and they will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is October 5th 2017 at 11:59pm EST.

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Model and paint civilian models appropriate for Chaos Dwarfs and their underlings, complete with scenery, cattle, pack animals, vehicles and background displays should you wish it. You must include at least one Chaos Dwarf miniature, and no Blood Bowl team, all else is up to you.

Bases or no bases are up to you.

The scale of the miniatures is up to you.

Submissions should include up to four pictures. No overlaid words of explanation or photoshop effects in your submitted photos please.

You may not submit pictures of a model that have been entered into other online competitions or posted in a finished state before.

Don't post your entries in the forum before the contest is over.

See also the General Rules & Guidelines.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with up to four photos of your entry. Please do not send an e-mail to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

Please note that your entry will benefit if the photos are all clearly composed, since voters will base their judgement upon what they can see in the pictures on their computer screens.

How will this be judged?

Sometime after October 5th we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

Also on CDO:
Edge of the Abyss
Photobucket TOS Woes & Third party image hosting
Photobucket Migration to the Darklands – Stage I
Photobucket Migration to the Darklands - Stage II

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Zanko - 09-06-2017 12:33 PM

Sounds cool! Wink

Momentarily I have no good idea ... but I will find one! I'm confident!

Hashut!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - tjub - 09-06-2017 12:36 PM

Jupp, I should really try to do something for this... Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Jackswift - 09-06-2017 01:14 PM

A good concept.  Hard aligning my limited hobby time with something that doesn't fill an army slot.  Will have to think of something that does both. Hmmm...[/align]

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Bloodbeard - 09-06-2017 03:19 PM

I'll have to see if I can find something. ... that'll work in Frostgrave and look like a civillian.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Carcearion - 09-06-2017 04:12 PM

Hmm... the stars may have aligned for me on this one I think I have a plan in mind.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Abecedar - 09-06-2017 06:48 PM

My stars aren't aligned this time.   I have no idea what to do yet. but it is early days

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Fuggit Khan - 09-07-2017 09:16 AM

I LOVE THIS THEME  ♡♡♡
If only I hadn't torn the tendon in my damn hand, otherwise I'd sculpt a Chaos Dwarf meat butcher. Gnoblar haggis anyone?

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - HPN - 09-07-2017 12:45 PM

This is great! Definitely have to work out something!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Bloodbeard - 09-07-2017 02:35 PM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
I LOVE THIS THEME  ♡♡♡
If only I hadn't torn the tendon in my damn hand, otherwise I'd sculpt a Chaos Dwarf meat butcher. Gnoblar haggis anyone?

That would be awesome!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Kamphre - 09-07-2017 02:38 PM

Does it includes Blood Bowl teams ?

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - tjub - 09-08-2017 12:16 AM

Kamphre Wrote:

I would assume it does!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Admiral - 09-08-2017 03:05 AM

Kamphre Wrote:

Very good question! It would make sense, but talking it over we've decided not to include Blood Bowl teams or sideliners. It'd be a bit too easy, and they'll get contest themes of their own, promise!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - tjub - 09-08-2017 11:04 AM

Admiral Wrote:

Kamphre Wrote:

Very good question! It would make sense, but talking it over we've decided not to include Blood Bowl teams or sideliners. It'd be a bit too easy, and they'll get contest themes of their own, promise!

Oh, well thats too bad. There went my entry. Was working on something sideline related... TongueTakes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Ghrask Dragh - 09-09-2017 07:50 PM

It's at times like these i wish I had better sculpting skills, so many ideas but so far out of reach... for now Unsure

Just realised, I've been here since 2007 and still have not entered a single competition, not one Shock

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Admiral - 09-10-2017 03:09 AM

One need not have sculpted a lot to give it a shot. One could e.g. give a military CD miniature a measuring device, spade, wrench or other tool from the bitz box and call it a day. It could even be used as an artillery crewman in an army, come to think of it.

GW's plastic Dwarf artillery crew are perfect conversion basis, with apron and tools in the kit (not just artillery-specific tools, neither, but spade, pick, wheel barrow and bucket). Xander's conversion tutorials stand the test of time.

Check out The_Penguin's take on Chaos Dwarfs for some inventive opulent civilians!

Reaper Bones miniatures could contain some neat basis for civilian and slave conversions, as could other miniature lines with Dwarves out there. Dwarven Gold Fever kickstarter could maybe provide ideas for civilian Dwarves to make metal evil, if not miniatures already.

My own range (click banner) contain some civilian miniatures, though better convert something for Artisan's Contest, if ever so slightly, if such is to be used.

By the way, ever noticed how the old Dwarf buckler on a handgun looked more like a plumbing tool than a classic blunderbuss' silhouette? Well, put the buckler on a hand weapon shaft instead, and you're well on your way toward having a CD plumber or at least unfortunate plumbing slave with a grumpy master!

The sky is the limit, though it's quite easy to make something simple to enter with, too. Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Ghrask Dragh - 09-10-2017 05:24 AM

Your absolutely right Admiral of course! I was meaning more for the things I had in mind, every idea I have would need an original sculpt as there's isn't anything close enough to convert Sad

I'll keep thinking though, like you said skies the limit!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Zanko - 09-12-2017 01:07 PM

Currently I have unfortunately still no really good idea ... need more better ideas and much more time! Mad

Hashut!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Abecedar - 09-12-2017 08:01 PM

I think the Lizard King would have a Zoo.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Abecedar - 09-12-2017 08:11 PM

And for a while I've been thinking of getting all my musicians in one photo.  As in The blues brothers "Getting the Band back together"
I thought great I'll do that and have a concert for this contest.  
And then I remembered that they are already painted and posted so I cannot do that for this one at all.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Will Liam - 09-13-2017 02:13 AM

I have an idea for this and think it may work well - I might make a copy or two from some of the components to use with my chaos dwarf army units after the comp - I cant stop smiling at the moment just thinking about it - hope it works Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Enjoysrandom - 09-13-2017 11:34 AM

Oh should be interesting seeing your entry for this one Will, I am not sure what to try at, hope it comes to me soon!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Admiral - 09-19-2017 01:19 PM

Bump. Half a month to go.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Carcearion - 09-19-2017 02:02 PM

I got everything I needed to start just last night - I think I should make it in time for the contest Cheers!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXII - Abecedar - Yesterday 08:19 AM

I've hit a brick wall after the first hopeful moments.
Have to whip my brain harder.