CDO Forums
Artisan's Contest XXIII - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Artisan's Contest XXIII (/showthread.php?tid=17340)

Artisan's Contest XXIII - Admiral - 11-17-2017 07:58 AM

A lonely watch. A thankless death.

Zanko Presents: Artisan's Contest XXIII!

Watchtower Artwork Challenge

The goal here is to create a piece of artwork depicting one or more Chaos Dwarf or Hobgoblin watchtowers. This can be done by drawing, sketching or painting it (i.e. no miniature entries). Digital tools are allowed, and some scribblings as seen on many concept sketches are likewise allowed, but please keep any text amount low. The amount of work invested in the art entry can vary from a simple sketch up to a full-blown illustration.

Grab the opportunity to present us your take(s) on Dawi Zharr or Hobgoblin watchtower! Your entry could be a sketch, a technical/architectural schematic or an illustration. You could depict a lonely watchtower out in the ashen wastes or overlooking some craters, open pit mines or lava springs, or even place a watchtower in the middle of a lava pool. Likewise, you could have a watchtower out of the rock wall of a mountain or an open pit mine, overlooking the wilds or works below; or a coastal watchtower; a mobile watchtower mounted on a train car; or even a watchtower floating on the water or in the air; or something else completely!

Surrounding facilities such as lodgings, stables, stores, water tanks or barricades are welcome if entrants want to add such details to the watchtower. Watchtower personel are welcome, and if you want to include a scene of enemies sighted, Nasty Skulkers climbing the walls of the tower or monsters attacking the outpost, a mechanized war caravan steaming past or an important courier being received, then by all means do so!

Prize

The gold winner will recieve one kit of four 15mm Tjubling blunderbusses from Admiralty Miniatures (note: can be used for terrain decoration in 28mm collections):

Plus Grulka Blackhand, Dwarf Heroine, from Titan Wargames. Courtesy of Zanko!

Furthermore, Zanko has donated Marrog Blackhand, Dwarf Hero, to the silver winner:

And Cinneron Dhum, Dwarf Pyromancer, for the bronze winner:

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral or Bloodbeard and they will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is December 8th 2017 at 11:59pm EST. (3 weeks!)

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Sketch, draw, paint and use digital tools to come up with an artwork or concept image of one or more Chaos Dwarf or Hobgoblin watchtowers.

Submissions should include one picture file only. Your one picture with art may contain any number of objects, figures and scenes.

You may not submit a picture of a drawing or painting that have been entered into other online competitions or posted in a finished state before.

Don't post your entries in the forum before the contest is over.

See also the General Rules & Guidelines.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with one link or image of your entry. Please do not send an e-mail to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

How will this be judged?

Sometime after December 8th we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Enjoysrandom - 11-17-2017 09:41 AM

Oh a very nice change in pace for a comp! Great concept with even better prizes, for anyone with the talent to draw Dawi'Zharr to the level of Knight in Flames should defiantly enter... although it will be hard to surpass his amazing art!

Can't wait to see the entries!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Zanko - 11-17-2017 01:55 PM

Even though I am artistically more than moderately talented, I will have a chance to think about it ...

Hashut!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Forgefire - 11-17-2017 02:16 PM

Cool contest! I will try my best to enter although i just got new art assignments over at 9th age Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Abecedar - 11-17-2017 07:18 PM

Digital tools?  I haven't even got my pen license yet.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Jackswift - 11-18-2017 01:17 PM

Nice concept.  Already have an idea for it...

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Helblindi - 11-19-2017 04:11 AM

Nice concept! Nice prizes! I'll try to get something finished in time Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Abecedar - 11-19-2017 06:27 AM

I have an idea too.  A Watchtower will have a wall.  So I'll draw a wall....
After that I'm screwed.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Tertius - 11-20-2017 03:46 AM

I am in. I dig architecture.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Abecedar - 11-20-2017 05:12 AM

Duh

Tertius Wrote:
I am in. I dig architecture.

It's I dig archeology!   ( Blonde Joke )

I spend half the time of the the TV shows that I watch looking at how things are built

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Will Liam - 11-21-2017 04:34 PM

I've got an idea for this one - well one of Admirals ideas but with bit of a twist to it - I think it should work when i get to plan it on paper as it will be a little bit technical Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Will Liam - 11-25-2017 10:43 AM

Done and dusted - I'm in Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - t5p1ny - 11-27-2017 10:56 AM

I'll try to get something done, been having an exceptionally busy couple of weeks!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Dînadan - 11-27-2017 11:58 AM

Done a sketch I’m moderately happy with, but considering doing a schematic/blueprint of it instead as it has features that might not be clear from the sketch.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - AtomTaylor - 11-28-2017 10:04 AM

I'm up for this. I need a kick up the ass to do some Artwork too. Wink

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - TheHoodedMan - 11-28-2017 10:42 AM

I`m in. Just to keep up the olympic idea ;-).

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Willmark - 11-28-2017 12:56 PM

I’m looking forward to seeing the entries for this one. Make the Dark Lord proud!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Tertius - 11-30-2017 08:43 AM

I need inspiration. But at least I can post things. Need to get cracking ... a week left.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Abecedar - 11-30-2017 08:02 PM

I too am looking forward to the entries.
I can't foresee myself entering this time.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Ghrask Dragh - 12-03-2017 04:46 AM

This looks interesting, the prizes alone made me pick up a pencil... then I realised how long I hadnt drawn for Big Grin

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Dînadan - 12-03-2017 11:06 AM

Entered.  Went with the sketch as I don’t have the energy to do the blueprint idea.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Admiral - 12-04-2017 03:13 PM

Good spirit, folks! I'm ticking away at a simple entry as well.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Fuggit Khan - 12-06-2017 02:30 AM

I'm giving this thread a bump, how many of you guys are entering?
This is such a great theme! I love the imagery of towers, I'm always stopping to look at tall buildings, pillars, chimneys and the like.
There's just something so grandiose and functionally pragmatic about building towards the sky.
Anyways, there's still time to get your entry submitted, join in!
Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Abecedar - 12-06-2017 07:07 AM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
This is such a great theme! I love the imagery of towers, I'm always stopping to look at tall buildings, pillars, chimneys and the like.
There's just something so grandiose and functionally pragmatic about building towards the sky.

me too.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Admiral - 12-06-2017 08:37 AM

I'm scanning my entry at the moment. Intended to bump this thread as well. Cheers for high buildings, and high hats. Takes Hat off

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Zanko - 12-06-2017 02:40 PM

Unfortunately, I can't attend. The Real Life costs me way too much life time and after a 12 hour day I don't have any more power ... Sad

Hashut!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Abecedar - 12-06-2017 10:33 PM

Yeh. I'm sad I couldn't enter either.   Apart from my appalling graphic skills, the Carpal Tunnel "pain" in both hands has reached unheard of heights and has stopped any and all hobby work for weeks now

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Dînadan - 12-07-2017 12:17 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
Yeh. I'm sad I couldn't enter either.   Apart from my appalling graphic skills, the Carpal Tunnel "pain" in both hands has reached unheard of heights and has stopped any and all hobby work for weeks now

You could always have just done a stack of boxes in MS Paint Tongue Wink

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - t5p1ny - 12-07-2017 09:17 AM

I'm afraid I won't be able to fully finish my entry before the contest ends. I'll submit what I have tomorrow. Worst case scenario I'll submit a fully rendered Illustration of my CD watchtower later this month, but all the sketch work will be in for the contest at least Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Jackswift - 12-07-2017 12:55 PM

I am definitely in on this one.  About 80% done and getting to the detail work which is the most fun part...  A little concerned about getting a decent photo.  That sometimes seems the hardest part.  Cheers!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Helblindi - 12-07-2017 05:49 PM

Alas, time is a rare resource these days. Won't be able to enter. I wanna see the entries though!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Forgefire - 12-07-2017 06:52 PM

Sorry to say i wont be able to enter anythin :/  Sketched quite a bit but i didnt hit anything i felt was dawi zharr enough and i have officially run out of time. But i look forward to see the entries though! Hashuts curse on this job sapping my strength!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Will Liam - 12-08-2017 01:15 AM

Dînadan Wrote:

Abecedar Wrote:

You could always have just done a stack of boxes in MS Paint Tongue Wink

Haha funny you should say that about boxes Happy

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Abecedar - 12-08-2017 02:49 AM

You think that's funny. I don't know how to use MS Paint!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Fuggit Khan - 12-08-2017 02:59 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
the Carpal Tunnel "pain" in both hands has reached unheard of heights and has stopped any and all hobby work for weeks now

Oh no!!
I thought that the sorcerers curse only occurred in the feet, not the hands 👐
Shock
Well please take care of yourself, I had a horrible case of tendinitis in my right hand about 19 years ago, and it took nearly a year of physical therapy to get correct it. It sucked to have to relearn to do the most basic of everyday tasks, so that the tendons wouldn't get more damaged from daily use. Sucks getting old  Sad
Relax, have a cold beer and watch Fury Road.
That's the cure for all the worlds woes Cheers!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Admiral - 12-08-2017 05:21 AM

Ouch, Abecedar, please make sure your hand heals!

Good effort lads. Time is indeed a precious resource. Last day to enter!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - Jackswift - 12-08-2017 10:35 AM

Sorry to hear re the tendonitis Abecedar.  Really hampers everyday life.  Had a case about 10 years back in both arms at the same time from typing and driving. Had to wear braces non stop for 4 months to keep my wrists immobile.  Not fun and I hope yours resolves with speed and  completeness.

Entry done.  Should have it in by midday.

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIII - t5p1ny - 12-08-2017 08:02 PM

Can't wait to see all the entries Happy