CDO Forums
Golden Hat XXXIII - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chaos Dwarfs Online (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Website News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Golden Hat XXXIII (/showthread.php?tid=17955)

Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 07-16-2019 03:03 PM

"A brave new world."

Warcolours & AtomTaylor Presents: The 33rd Golden Hat competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest has been sponsored by Warcolours! The gold winner will receive a €30 store coupon at Warcolours, courtesy of Poison:

Furthermore, this round of Golden Hat has been sponsored by AtomTaylor's OldHammer Miniatures & Wargaming! The silver winner will receive this unpainted and unassembled Boar Centaur kit:

While the bronze winner will receive a kit of 15mm Bak-kak-ku from Tjub and Admiralty Miniatures:

Subject Matter: Your own vision of Chaos Dwarfs!

For this contest we want you to enter with your very own vision for how Chaos Dwarfs (or their lackeys and creations) look like. This theme is particularly with Age of Sigmar in mind, since it's a brave new world of a setting, and very much open for weird new takes. Of course, your own vision for Chaos/Infernal/Abyssal Dwarfs, for whatever setting other than Age of Sigmar, is just as welcome. See this as an open contest with an invitation to get experimental, if you like to think outside the box. All manner of scales allowed. One or more models an/or terrain pieces; you yourself set the upper limit. You may of course include non-Chaos Dwarf models and/or terrain pieces, such as enemies fighting your visionary Dawi Zharr. Build a diorama if you like!

If you are unsure if your entry will fit the subject matter, please contact Admiral and he'll sort it out with the rest of the Staff.

Basing is unrestricted and up to your discretion. You may include plinths and display bases if you want.

Specifics
Subject: Your own vision of Chaos Dwarfs in Age of Sigmar.
Bases: Up to your discretion.
The Due Date: 11:59 PM September 23rd, 2019 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent either to the Golden Hat account and/or to chaosdwarfsonline ( at ) gmail.com no later than the due date. Entries will not be accepted after this. (Entrants have approximately 9 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact Admiral. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur. Photos may not have additional text or items/models unrelated to your entry. Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place in the vaunted Golden Hat Hall of Fame.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona.
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 20 people enter we award 20 slaves to each person who entered. Entries will count towards a veteran medal.
- Win paints and miniatures! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Reaver of Uzkulak - 07-16-2019 06:38 PM

Shock Great concept for a competition! Time to stoke the creative forges. Really looking forward to seeing the different ways everyone spins this theme. Evil idea

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Dînadan - 07-16-2019 07:03 PM

Hmm, in the process of getting back into BFG and was considering adding some Chaos Demiurg/Squats to my fleet at some point; might have to consider bringing those plans forwards for this comp. 🤔

Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 07-16-2019 07:39 PM

Looking forward to all the strangeness to come here. Big Grin

To summarize, this comp is open for whatever CD shenanigans you can think of, and bonus points if it's something out of the ordinary.

Cheers

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Reaver of Uzkulak - 07-16-2019 08:12 PM

Dînadan Wrote:
Hmm, in the process of getting back into BFG and was considering adding some Chaos Demiurg/Squats to my fleet at some point; might have to consider bringing those plans forwards for this comp. 🤔

Wink

Fantastic idea, custom BFG minis are so cool and rarely seen these days. Evil idea

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - tjub - 07-17-2019 01:32 AM

Oh, cool! I should be entering this in some way... Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Jasko - 07-17-2019 04:37 AM

Ufff, typical Chaos Dwarf behavior, from one contest to the next, no respite Tongue
I'll have to see whether I can cook something up.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Fuggit Khan - 07-17-2019 04:55 AM

F yeah!
An open theme Golden Hat with whatever interpretation of Chaos Dwarfs is a wet dream nerdgasm!
Sorry, my modeling brain is getting carried away  Wink
Thanks Admiral for such a cool open theme, I was secretly sacrificing slaves in hopes of this, after your cryptic hint about the upcoming GH

Cheers!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 07-17-2019 10:37 AM

All credit goes to Grimstonefire for coming up with the theme. Happy

Cheers

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanko - 07-17-2019 01:03 PM

Oh, my goodness... again I have no idea what to do! Sad

Let's see if I can come up with something extraordinary in the next few days ... should probably not remember the 3rd edition models! Wink

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 07-17-2019 03:56 PM

Come Igor, our masters speak again. We need to provide more troops for the great temple. Yes Igor I know. But apparently we have been too conservative, too mundane in our thinking. We must think outside the forge, some red sky thinking is required. Yes yes and a lot of slaves of course!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Grimstonefire - 07-17-2019 06:11 PM

Interesting!

It's very, very rare that I firmly commit to any competition these days....  But I will enter this.  Be rude not to really, being inspired by me! Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Jackswift - 07-20-2019 12:22 PM

A very cool theme.  Somewhat stumped as to what to enter right now, but will figure it out.  Crazy long contest timeframe there!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 07-21-2019 01:03 AM

My image of what Chaos Dwarfs are.

Your wish is my command!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanthrax - 07-28-2019 06:33 AM

Great theme - have something almost ready to go #controversial

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 07-30-2019 03:51 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
My image of what Chaos Dwarfs are.

Your wish is my command!

Your wish may be my command but the plan I'm trying to execute is proving harder than first thought.  That One little detail that the whole idea hinges upon.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 07-30-2019 03:58 AM

Quick question.  Having never done a plinth before, can it have a title on it?

Quote:
Photos may not have additional text or items/models unrelated to your entry.
Unquote:

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 07-30-2019 04:42 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
Quick question.  Having never done a plinth before, can it have a title on it?

Quote:
Photos may not have additional text or items/models unrelated to your entry.
Unquote:

Yes, sure!

As far as no additional text is concerned, it's usually about typing in text digitally overlaying the entry pictures (eg. Comic bubbles) Plinths with plaques or other crafted or painted text is fair game. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 07-30-2019 07:08 AM

Thanks Admiral.  My brilliant plan is currently stalled but I am not giving up.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 08-02-2019 06:53 AM

Still thinkin'.  Probably going back to basics and start again.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - tjub - 08-03-2019 05:02 AM

Abecedar Wrote:
Still thinkin'.  Probably going back to basics and start again.

Jupp, not as easy as I first thought to narrow down all the ideas. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Gargolock - 08-03-2019 02:31 PM

The thinking step for me normally takes a while with anything I do, but it has never taken this long. I have so many ideas fluttering through my head right now. Hmph, must pick one.

Luckily it seems others are also still finding the best idea.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 08-03-2019 04:07 PM

Possibly unsurprisingly the thinking stage for me hardly occurs. I tend to start  and then regret at my leisure. Hmmm....... this may explain my lack of GH medals. Igor! Apparently we have to think about things. Quick my thinking cap.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 08-03-2019 11:43 PM

My breath caught there for a moment. I thought Uther was about to order Igor to perform brainsurgery. Big Grin

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 08-04-2019 11:25 AM

My dear Admiral ‘Beloved of Hashut’,
    I suppose it is mostly my fault for not treating your missives with the confidentiality they deserve. Sadly Igor saw your last correspondence. I fear the mention of brain surgery may have excited him somewhat. To be honest in my experience most Igors only have a tenuous grip on sanity at the best of times. Since then he has been collecting surgical implements and babbling about ‘upgrades‘ (I have no idea), ‘improved ram’ (I fear for the farmers), ‘handshake routines’ (?) and “intofaces’. I really am worried that this latest project may be too much for him. Still I am sure I can rescue the project and ensure the further glorification of Zharr Naggrond.

Yours in Hashut
Uther

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Fuggit Khan - 08-05-2019 12:28 AM

I'm guilty as well, I've changed direction on possible entries already 5 times.
I've got my ideas narrowed down to a theme finally, but it'll be a struggle to keep focused and not simply run off with a new direction again. No wonder you have to keep your slaves chained up, otherwise everything runs amok.

It's gonna be fun to see what people cook up for this Golden Hat  Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Oxymandias - 08-14-2019 04:25 PM

Started work on something for this...first ever golden hat! Excited!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 08-14-2019 05:37 PM

Good luck lord Ozymandias.
Things  here have not gone smoothly. Igors’ first few attempts have been spectacular failures. He did get quite overexcited but in the end a simple sedative worked. He only needed to be hit over the head with it three or four times. He no longer talks about brain surgery or upgrades at all. Mind you he is still sulking and I have heard him muttering about ‘trance plants’. But I told him we are not having any of that wood elf/Sylvaneth rubbish here.
It seems we are back on track. Although admittedly I am not sure where exactly it is going and it is less than orthodox.
Uther

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanthrax - 08-15-2019 06:16 AM

My entry is finished and ready for submission over the weekend.
Good luck everyone and remember let’s be #controversial

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanko - 08-15-2019 07:16 AM

I think that my entry will be one of the most conventional / conservative ones. At the bottom of my heart I am just a traditionalist. Unsure

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 08-15-2019 10:22 AM

That's fine as well, Zanko. Glad to hear you'll enter. Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanko - 08-15-2019 01:10 PM

Of course I'm taking part, I'm not going to miss the GH! Tongue Wink

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Reaver of Uzkulak - 08-17-2019 10:07 AM

Deep in the converting trenches. Progress is slow. Hopefully make it to the other side with enough time to paint. dead

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanthrax - 08-20-2019 09:22 AM

My entry is in - good luck bros

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Fuggit Khan - 08-20-2019 11:30 AM

Holy cr.., I mean Holy Hashut!
Some people have already finished and submitted their entries?
I haven't even begun painting (hanging my head in shame).
I need to crack the whip on my lazy slaves and get to work.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Will Liam - 08-21-2019 02:36 AM

I’ve finally thought of an idea for my version of what Chaos Dwarfs look like - keeping in mind my spin on CDs is a little bit different anyway - I honestly think you guys are going to hate this one Happy I can’t stop smiling

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanko - 08-21-2019 03:23 AM

Will Liam Wrote:
I’ve finally thought of an idea for my version of what Chaos Dwarfs look like - keeping in mind my spin on CDs is a little bit different anyway - I honestly think you guys are going to hate this one Happy I can’t stop smiling

Well, I'm curious what's to come! Tongue Wink

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 08-21-2019 05:09 AM

@Will Liam. Don’t worry if people hate them. Remember the great Slartibartfast ‘I’d much rather be happy than right’

Any way Dawi Zharr are supposed to be hated!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Will Liam - 08-21-2019 06:14 AM

True true I literally can’t get it wrong ...... Hint: It’s so wrong!
But I do like it so I’m going to run with it - it’s a true game changer for my Chaos Dwarfs Wink

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Oxymandias - 08-21-2019 07:30 AM

Painting has begun... going to Italy for holidays soon so need to get it done or nearly totally done early. As by the time I come back - the deadline won’t be far off!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 08-21-2019 11:35 PM

Will Liam Wrote:

"For this contest we want you to enter with your very own vision for how Chaos Dwarfs (or their lackeys and creations) look like"

From my first impression from reading the theme, I took it to mean 'what they are to me'.  If that makes sense.
So I'm smiling too and I just hope everyone else "gets it"

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Will Liam - 08-25-2019 09:03 AM

Me too Abecedar - I hope everyone gits my joke as well - (There will be so much hate) Happy
Finished painting the lava rock today and I find it easier to paint in batches of ten - Also have my photos done (camera playing up again) so I might have another go at taking the pics that I've already submitted but entered them in anyway just to be on the safe side - I may have set a precedent with this entry - So so so wrong is all I can say - I wonder if Admin agrees?

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 08-25-2019 03:53 PM

@Will Liam Don’t Worry. Be Happy.
I have made unicycling bull centaurs, half Dalek dwarves, dwarves made of orc bits, dwarves riding venomthropes, dwarves riding a toxicrene, dwarves riding tentacled snails, dwarves riding half insect half Lammasu things, heli-hatted dwarves and a Darth Vader dwarf in a steam powered TIE fighter. I mean how bad can your guys be? So don’t worry. Anyway their hate will make you strong. Feel the hate! Come to the Dark Side!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Will Liam - 08-25-2019 05:40 PM

Uther the unhinged Wrote:
@Will Liam Don’t Worry. Be Happy.
I have made unicycling bull centaurs, half Dalek dwarves, dwarves made of orc bits, dwarves riding venomthropes, dwarves riding a toxicrene, dwarves riding tentacled snails, dwarves riding half insect half Lammasu things, heli-hatted dwarves and a Darth Vader dwarf in a steam powered TIE fighter. I mean how bad can your guys be? So don’t worry. Anyway their hate will make you strong. Feel the hate! Come to the Dark Side!

I so badly want to look through your chaos dwarfs pics right now Happy
I’m not worried but just prepping the horde of what’s to come lol
I think I might have crossed a line with this one Happy
And if it hasn’t been done before it will stand as truth I thinks Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Will Liam - 08-25-2019 06:05 PM

All jokes aside - please vote on my entry if you think it works for (my army only) otherwise I ain’t going to get any Votes lol
I’m in - good luck with the comp guys Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 08-25-2019 06:50 PM

For me the weirder the better. Good luck!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 08-25-2019 11:00 PM

Will Liam Wrote:
All jokes aside - please vote on my entry if you think it works for (my army only) otherwise I ain’t going to get any Votes lol
I’m in - good luck with the comp guys Happy

You will have to enter your whole army too so I can make sure it fits in.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 09-03-2019 06:02 PM

I've been largely busy and absent the last weeks, but this will intensify until the 15th of September, so count me as away. Will be back after that date, if there are any questions.

You can rather safely assume that anything goes, including entering several different takes on Chaos Dwarfs in your one entry. Sky is the limit.

Good luck lads!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 09-04-2019 07:44 AM

You shouldn't have said the sky's the limit.
Now I another stupid idea.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Oxymandias - 09-14-2019 05:19 AM

Just sent off my entry Shock

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 09-15-2019 07:30 AM

Well, I am nearly there.

However, I wish to register a formal complaint.
It is all well and good coming up with competitions for new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarfs, but do you have any idea of the membership of this forum? They are obsessive fans! OK, so you come up with new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf troops. But... then you have to come up with new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf elite troops and new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf Hero’s, new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf Sorcerors, Bull centaurs, war machines, behemoths. Grimnirs’ Nadgers that’s a whole faction. Oh and don’t forget the grooming that has been going on. We have been lured into making scenery. So new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf terrain. And Fluff! Don’t forget the Fluff! That is the next 6 months of my life! Oh coz you can’t just do a war and, no might as well make 500 pts... well that is nearly 1000 isn’t it? And if you are going to do 1000 why not the whole way and make it 2000 pts.

I mean, I Mean , I MEAN....

I am just saying there ought to be some thought given to the psychological aftercare of GH contestants. That’s all I am saying.

My entry will be in Soon.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Jasko - 09-15-2019 07:39 AM

Well, I am nearly there.

It is all well and good coming up with competitions for new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarfs, but do you have any idea of the membership of this forum? They are obsessive fans! OK, so you come up with new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf troops. But... then you have to come up with new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf elite troops and new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf Hero’s, new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf Sorcerors, Bull centaurs, war machines, behemoths. Grimnirs’ Nadgers that’s a whole faction. Oh and don’t forget the grooming that has been going on. We have been lured into making scenery. So new and exciting visions of Chaos Dwarf terrain. And Fluff! Don’t forget the Fluff! That is the next 6 months of my life! Oh coz you can’t just do a war and, no might as well make 500 pts... well that is nearly 1000 isn’t it? And if you are going to do 1000 why not the whole way and make it 2000 pts.

I mean, I Mean , I MEAN....

I am just saying there ought to be some thought given to the psychological aftercare of GH contestants. That’s all I am saying.

My entry will be in Soon.

A-MEN Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 09-15-2019 09:03 PM

I am just saying there ought to be some thought given to the psychological aftercare of GH contestants. That’s all I am saying

I've felt that way for a while.  But Followers of Hashut are renowned for being harsh task-masters.
But 2000?......... No! that means 10,000.  Why do we need that (read - What are we going to do today, Brain)
"Because Pinky .. We are going to take over the world"

And anyway,  Those Psychological issues (the need to create something or else feel worthless) are the only thing getting me out of bed each morning.
Well that and the need to go to the loo.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 09-19-2019 12:38 PM

Slave Resource Department responds: Where there is a whip, there is a way. Takes Hat off

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 09-19-2019 07:42 PM

And by the way.  This model is physically ITRW, not literally or metaphorically or game wise - dedicated to Nurgle.
Yet another spring snotty head cold has hit me and I've nasal dripped all over the poor model(s)

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Oxymandias - 09-20-2019 01:38 AM

Guys when you send your pics to the golden hat account do you get a reply or confirmation or do you just send it?

Just making sure I haven’t messed up and it’s been sent off properly.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 09-20-2019 02:00 AM

Normally, they will tell you they have received it, may take a day or more though

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 09-21-2019 08:41 AM

My entry is in, for better or worse.

Hope you enjoy it .

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Zanko - 09-21-2019 01:20 PM

My entry is in! Big Grin

I am already looking forward to seeing all the different entries! Cheers!

Hashut!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Antenor - 09-21-2019 05:44 PM

Finally, after a period of being too lazy to take photos and blaming it on the weather, I submitted mine today Happy Now that this Chaos Dwarf stuff is finished, time to do some other Chaos Dwarf stuff!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Fuggit Khan - 09-22-2019 03:08 AM

Well I finally finished my entry, photos, cussing, etc...
Only to find out that apparently Imgur shut down their mobile phone login app last month.
So I'm unable to upload to Imgur, Photof_cket doesn't work...same with Google cloud.
Damn *+#√!! elves!
I'm going to try sending the pics to Admiral via messenger.
I hope everyone else is having better luck than me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone else is submitting for their "new vision".

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Abecedar - 09-22-2019 04:16 AM

Yeah, I got problems too.  New computer (windows 10), I just wanted to plug my phone in to transfer the pics across - an FN hour of frustration.
Then the in-build photo editor must be fool proof because I couldn't get it to work. Then downloaded two photo editing programs and both were
techo advanced nightmares.  I ended up uploading the full sized pics to Imgur and then cropping / resizing.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - tjub - 09-22-2019 04:19 AM

Maybe we should set up a CDO@gmail.com or similar for when tech fudge up...

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Uther the unhinged - 09-22-2019 04:33 AM

Oh Imgur is not uploading from mobiles!  Right that makes it an easy decision. I can stop madly trying to improve my entry in time and just enter the photos I have already uploaded. Not such a cool entry but more sleep tonight.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 09-22-2019 04:44 AM

Damnit, now Imgur too?!

Ok, we'll use chaosdwarfsonline@gmail.com for this and all future contests as a second way of entering pictures.

It's an existing E-mail, with CDO image salvage backup copies on its Google Drive. It's mostly used to contact new members and confirm that their accounts have been manually activated. Our Carven Images albums is stored on the Imgur account registered via that Gmail.

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - tjub - 09-22-2019 04:45 AM

Oh Imgur is not uploading from mobiles!  Right that makes it an easy decision. I can stop madly trying to improve my entry in time and just enter the photos I have already uploaded. Not such a cool entry but more sleep tonight.

Imgur works just fine from my iPhone, no problem uploading here. Happy

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Reaver of Uzkulak - 09-22-2019 05:58 PM

Well I will have an entry in tomorrow. The exact quantity is still TBD but there will be at least something hot off the forges. Excited to see the entries for this GH especially. Respect to the Hat!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 09-23-2019 10:30 AM

Nice to hear, Reaver! Entries are flowing in fine and well. Takes Hat off

Last day to enter, folks. Great work everyone!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Grimstonefire - 09-28-2019 06:12 AM

Damnit!?!?!  Having spent pretty much the entirety of the last 3 months working on this, I thought the deadline was Monday!?!?

One to hold for the next suitable competition then. Sad  At least I'll be extremely early next time!

RE: Golden Hat XXXIII - Admiral - 09-28-2019 06:35 AM

Ouch! Now that is dedication. Shock