CDO Forums
Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Showcase & Army Blogs (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project (/showthread.php?tid=227)

Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-20-2007 02:20 PM

Greetings and a hearty Hashut! to all of you.

I take the liberty of accepting Xander's kind invitation to post my chaos dwarf warriors here as well (and not just over at HoH) so that more people might watch as my army grows. Happy

As of yet, only a handful of warriors have been finished. Soon to come are even more warriors with great axes. Work will have to proceed fast on this army, as I want to use the Dawi Zharr in the upcoming Nemesis Crown campaign.

Hope you like them, cheers!

2017 Image Salvage

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Snotling - 03-20-2007 03:04 PM

i love them, wonderfull painting and creative, nice old-school conversions. so, give me more!
what do you think, when will we see the complete unit?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 03-20-2007 04:07 PM

Really good, great paint job.
My only criticism would be concerning the line that runs vertically along the guy's hat (3rd pic down).

The light effect from the lava is fantastic as well.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Khan! - 03-20-2007 07:09 PM

These guys are awesome! Happy  Very classic, I love the noses and tusks!  I'm curious as to how you painted your skin tone!  It is quite good.  Also, are you going to do anything more with their armour/skirts or leave them with the simple drybrush?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-20-2007 08:00 PM

They are just basic rank'n'file, so I will probably not do more about the armour. My rule is 'paint 5 guys in two days' or let's rather say 'paint 5 guys in only 2 evening painting sessions' - which (theoretically) allows me to paint a whole unit within a week or so. Did the same with my Chaos Warriors and it turned out to be a good way for me to keep the project going!

So the whole regiment should be finished in about 10 days, but only because I have run out of resin. Used these sculpts here to make a mould so that I could replicate these body parts to turn a regular Dwarf Warriors regiment into my very own Chaos Dwarfs. Happy

Hm, seeing the big photos, I probably should really paint the belts though... Oh, and the basic colour for the faces and flesh was graveyeard earth.

@hal: yeah, that body with the flash line at the side of the hat is my worst cast and I really don't like the way the face turned out. Probably will not use him too much in my regiments.

Hashut! ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 03-21-2007 02:32 AM

I love these conversions, and the paint jobs are awesome!  The best Tall Hat conversions I have seen!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - The Flying Beaver - 03-21-2007 01:13 PM

It's always nice to see more big hats. Well done Ishkur!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - LLV - 03-23-2007 12:47 PM

I am also wanting to make some resin moulds for some of my sculpts - any chance you could pm me to describe where you get the kit and how to do it?

thanks!Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 03-24-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:
I am also wanting to make some resin moulds for some of my sculpts - any chance you could pm me to describe where you get the kit and how to do it?

I think we'd all be interested in moulding techniques, that is if you'd be so kind Ishkur.
Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-24-2007 04:15 PM

Well there is a link on my website on how I made the moulds for replicating my sculpts. As of yet, it is all in German, but I guess you get the idea when you look at the pictures. Happy

I also found the mould making page at Hirst Arts quite useful.

Be aware that it is illegal to copy existing miniatures (and also not worthwile, because the materials involved can be quite expensive). I only reproduce my own sculpted pieces to speed up the converting process.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Monty - 03-24-2007 07:30 PM

Painting in two night blocks is the best way of getting an army done for sure... I recently started using a similar principal but i'm doing 6 warriors in 2 nights then a character or war machine to reward myself Happy

Love your pointy hats! I take it you used the half of the marauder drum which doesn't have an arm twice for the end model??

Cheers, Mont

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 03-24-2007 07:44 PM

Awesome job with the molds.  We'd love a translation!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - LLV - 03-25-2007 12:06 AM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:

Be aware that it is illegal to copy existing miniatures (and also not worthwile, because the materials involved can be quite expensive). I only reproduce my own sculpted pieces to speed up the converting process.

Indeed!Cheers!

The miniatures/parts I would reproduce would be my own designs for my own personal use.

As Xander said, a translation would be nice(although I can read/speak german quite well im just a lazy bugger...Tongue)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-25-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:
Painting in two night blocks is the best way of getting an army done for sure... I recently started using a similar principal but i'm doing 6 warriors in 2 nights then a character or war machine to reward myself

Hehe, that's nice - I also do a "boring" regiment first, then something interesting like a character or warmachine, then a regiment again a.s.o. What's great is that the Chaos Dwarfs have lots of interesting things!

I actually made myself a schedule for completing a full 2k points army during the next 14 weeks (deadline is the start of the summer campaign, deadlines are always good ^^) and built heavily on this scheme. All I need is some discipline now. Mad

Quote:
Love your pointy hats! I take it you used the half of the marauder drum which doesn't have an arm twice for the end model??

Yep that's right - just had to cut off some of the second half and then fill the gaps with greenstuff.

I have been thinking about translating my whole website sometime in the future - by now it's just so much text though, it's frightening. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-31-2007 10:51 AM

At last, the first regiment is (almost) done - 5 Warriors still to go, and a hero will join them to complete the unit to full 20 men strength.

Hashut! ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Khan! - 03-31-2007 12:02 PM

Well sir, that is extremely badass and I will be jealous forever.  I particularly like your standard, what bit did you use for the horns?

Excellent work!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-31-2007 01:06 PM

Thanks!

I used the horns from an Ogre Bull standard - I am blessed with an extremely extensive bitz box after years of collecting. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 03-31-2007 03:06 PM

These are so hardcore badass!  I love them.  Your casting method makes it so efficient!  I too am jealous, as I convert each one from scratch, hehe.

Well done sir!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 04-02-2007 07:07 AM

Yay, thanks. There are indeed some advantages to replicating the pieces in resin, but after a while they get visually very repetitive. I think I am stressing the diversity one can have with 5 different bodies (of which only 4 actually work) with two full regiments already to the limit.

I will have to convert my blunderbuss regiment entirely from scratch. I might use my resin hats, though to save some work. Happy Hm, actually I'm looking forward to these a lot because sculpting beards is fun. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 04-03-2007 12:47 PM

Those are great Ishkur, very uniform.
That standard is excellent also.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 04-03-2007 02:14 PM

You know, if you had sculpted those torsos completely from scratch, those would be awesome to sell!  Easy to convert into a Dwarf model to make quick chaos dwarfs.

How long does it take you to cast a set?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 04-03-2007 02:58 PM

I really like the idea of the moulds, I don't think I'd do entire torsos or anything, because one of the pleasures of a fully converted army for me is that each model is unique. Even so, I may use it to recreate certain items - blunderbusses, converted war machines etc. Excellent conversions though. I really like the fact that you've taken the 'big hat' look and brought it into the 7th edition Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 04-04-2007 07:17 AM

I didn't quite think about selling any of these parts. Primarily because I am not sure about any problems with GW copyright policy that might exist in case of commercial trade with the cast pieces (even though the final product is my own sculpt) and also because I needed this to build up my own army as fast as possible.

the 4 different pieces are cast in one go, the resin takes about half an hour to set; so if all casts go well and there are no miscasts (with any incomplete parts, massive air bubbles or anything else) I can produce about 8 bodies in one hour.

Not much of a mass production, but good enough for my purposes. *g*

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 04-04-2007 09:38 AM

That's decently fast.  Like I said, it would only be good if you sculpted the whole torso yourself.

Nice work. Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - LLV - 04-04-2007 01:11 PM

Simply the best 'Big Hat' Chaos Dwarf conversions I have seen - even the paintjob is nice!

Well done sir, well done!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-20-2007 01:32 PM

My first Hobgoblin bolt thrower is finished - probably not a masterpiece, but heck it's only 60 Points worth anyway! Wink

Hashut!
Ishkur

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Lord Archaon - 05-20-2007 01:42 PM

It looks very evil for 30 pointsHappy Tongue The face/shield is much better with mustachesHappy How did you paint it? The base is also great by i'd make more lava on it.
Lord Archaon

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 05-20-2007 02:06 PM

That's great work, nice conversions on the sneaky gits, how did you make the big CD mask/shield thing?
It's worth 30pts btw.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-21-2007 06:40 AM

It's really too much work for 30 points, especially because I still have the parts for a second one around. Wink The face mask was done by sculpting the face with GS on one side of a piece of polystyrene. You can actually see the two layers pretty good on the last picture.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-03-2007 06:11 AM

Phew, only 3 hobgoblin wolfboyz done so far - I used the models from "Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz" but they turned out to be full of details that want to be painted, so work on this cheap cannon fodder unit takes an eternity! The scary thing about it is that I need 10 of those and have been working for a week on only 3 of them. Sad

Hashut!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Uzkul Werit - 06-03-2007 07:08 AM

Once again, as cool as always. I always mean to update my Wolfboyz with those models I just never seem to have the cash.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - The Flying Beaver - 06-03-2007 08:38 AM

Those are some pretty impressive hobbos there Ishkur! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 06-03-2007 08:52 AM

Bravo!  Nicely done.  A unit of 10 will like very nice!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 06-03-2007 09:44 AM

IMO, it looks like it was a week well spent Big Grin.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Traitor King - 06-03-2007 11:31 AM

Amazing models!
I realy like the casting, its a great idea.
I also love the paint sceme, inparticular the source lighting! its realy well done!

Edit: didnt relaise there was two pages...
Great bolt thrower, the mask is sweet!
Im also quite fond of the darker colorus on the wolves (compared to grey).

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 06-03-2007 12:58 PM

The whole unit is gonna look deadly when it's done. Nice work once again, the three claws/teeth emblem is a great touch.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Lord Archaon - 06-03-2007 02:24 PM

Great job again Ishkur.Happy The wolfs went really nice as the hobbos.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-03-2007 02:29 PM

Cheers for your comments! That will help me keep up the work on the other 7 models. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 06-05-2007 07:08 AM

I can only say that your chaos dwarfs are the best I ahve seen ever. They are awsome. When I show this pictures to my gaming group they where blow away and really understood why I wanted to start CD. One even wanted tos tart up his fantasy army(regular dwarfs9 as he got so inspered. So good work, cant wait until you do some bull centaurs Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Khaosbeardling - 06-05-2007 09:40 AM

Wow!  Bravo on the HG  Bolt Thrower, it looks great!  The only thing I kinda don't like about it is I'd maybe have the CD Shield thingy by a little smaller, it just seems rather large, even for a shield.  Great job though, I'm envious.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-05-2007 01:12 PM

Well, it's supposed to protect the crew to some extent! And also it serves as an icon of Chaosdwarfhood on every battlefield.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - baba yaga - 06-06-2007 05:06 AM

Everybody seems to forget your excellant painting skills, my extremely oversized hat goes off to you sir.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 06-06-2007 06:43 AM

The wolfboyz rock! Are they gonna be the DoW unit, or the core choice? If the latter, I take it your just counting the spears as hand weapons?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Uzkul Werit - 06-06-2007 11:31 AM

I'd assume the Core unit but for a rare unit, the Oglah Khan Wolfboyz are pretty good. Extra D3 pursuit range I think.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Khan! - 06-06-2007 12:10 PM

This is a pretty exciting army!  I think yours is my favorite so far on the forum, Ishkur.  Definitely well done.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-06-2007 12:47 PM

I'm flattered about all the praise, and glad you like them. Many thanks!

I'll definitely use them as a core choice and indeed count the spears as hand weapons. I think Dogs of War units count as rare choices in a non-DoW army. And I really don't have any rare choice slots to spare! ;o)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nemo - 06-06-2007 03:27 PM

Absolutely love the army, youv'e made the classic look repectable. Respect to the Hat!

I also love the dark gritty colour scheme and the lava bases, well doneTakes Hat off

Cheers!

Nemo

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-07-2007 03:15 AM

This is what I've got so far. It's not much, especially since I started work on the CDs back in almost 3 months ago, but I guess it's a start. Another full regiment of warriors (with GW) is waiting to be painted, and I'd definitely like to try the new Black Orcs anytime soon. Happy

click to view larger version

I found I never showed the full first warrior unit - well here it is:

I have totally missed my deadlines to have the 2k army ready for the Nemesis campaign. At the moment, I hope I will be able to field at least 1000 points, sometime around end of July. :/

Hashut!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 06-07-2007 04:54 AM

1000p is my aim to to use in Nemisis campaign. so dont be sorry, be happy that at leasts some CD can kill our enemy and make us some fluff Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 06-07-2007 05:33 AM

You'll still have more than me, more than likely. But, it's looking incredible and I envy your ability to see the face of your opponent every time you play them!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Uzkul Werit - 06-07-2007 07:23 AM

Full 3k for Nemesis Crown for me! Not that any of it looks good. My Hogoblins with bows don't look too shabby. The only condition is I've been told to wear a big hat whenever I use them ...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Snotling - 06-07-2007 08:26 AM

damn man, it's so beautiful... your army is my favourite, i think, so cool! i hope, that i'll finish 1000 points around august... maybe...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 06-07-2007 01:53 PM

Those look so good assembled in a photo, very cohesive.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 06-07-2007 02:36 PM

Awesome!  Truly a sight to behold!  Can't wait for more. Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Perturabo - 06-07-2007 03:47 PM

Those are the best big hat models I have seen.

Dislike lessening...must fight it...! Ishkur, what have you done to me?!

I like the standard bearer a lot, the combination of hat and mask works really well.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-08-2007 10:54 AM

I was quite happy today to find the Dwarf Thunderer models are quite compatible with the bodies I created for the warriors. I just need to add an arm made from greenstuff and fill in some gaps here and there. Voil, my first two blunderbussiers:

For some reason, these immediately made me think of "Peter and the Wolf" by Disney, 1946.

Do you think Games Workshop stole some design concepts here? Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 06-08-2007 11:46 AM

It's great to see them fit so well, great job.
Are those shields at the end of the blunderbusses?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 06-08-2007 12:11 PM

I believe they are the buckler shields from the Thunderer boxed set.

Awesome stuff Ishkur!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Traitor King - 06-08-2007 01:33 PM

good stuff, they're looking great.

how does the resin stuff piant up?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 06-08-2007 01:56 PM

Damn, you have done it again, some very good blunderbusses Happy I just love your way of doing your army.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-09-2007 02:37 AM

The resin needs a basecoat like all the plastics and metal parts of the other minis to be any good to paint. Once basecoated it's no problem though.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 06-09-2007 07:37 AM

How do yu get the bucklers to look good on the end of the barrels? I tried this but it just looked messey so I sculpted new barrels out of GS

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - cornixt - 06-09-2007 12:22 PM

You need to use a tiny amount of greenstuff around the join.  You need much less than you would think.  I smoothed mine with a cocktail stick and a little water.  I cut the end of the barrel off  before sticking the buckler on to make them shorter, otherwise they become difficult to rank up and look a little odd.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Traitor King - 06-10-2007 07:08 AM

heh, well thats me down the shops to buy my thunderers.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 06-11-2007 04:43 PM

I'm glad your resins fit the bodies well. It'll maybe speed up your entire process. How I envy you! (Thanks for the tipes about adding the bucklers)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 06-12-2007 09:33 AM

I'll echo HB on that, the tips really help! When I do my next unit (if ever I feel the need to update my 6th ed ones) then I'll give it a shot. Shame I just finished converting a unit...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-12-2007 03:21 PM

This is a just a little conversion to distract me from all the big units of infantry that I have yet to finish. Behold Overseer Thosk, who will command my Earthshaker crew. I gave him a half-burnt / scarred face to show that he has spent decades handling the dangerous warmachines of the Dawi Zharr.

On the Earthshaker base, I will eventually have his officer hat and some tools on a big rock, to create a link to the hat theme of my army. I hope it will work out in the end. ^^

Hashut!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hobblin - 06-12-2007 03:39 PM

Cool can't wait to see it painted.Also how did you do those burns.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Arashi - 06-12-2007 03:50 PM

Wow, incredibly good sculpted face there Ishkur!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Snotling - 06-12-2007 05:05 PM

this guy is awesome! i can't stop looking at him ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 06-13-2007 07:09 AM

Damn, he was well done. I cant wait until you have painted him and made that hat to him Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Uzkul Werit - 06-13-2007 01:32 PM

What's his stick? A torch to light the gunpowder?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 06-13-2007 01:43 PM

That looks amazing, what are those scale-looking things on his right shoulder?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - dedwrekka - 06-13-2007 02:13 PM

Oooh, I love the whip!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-13-2007 02:31 PM

The scales are, well... scale mail. I felt some armour can't be a bad idea for an officer. The thing in his hand is of course not a torch, but a whip which he uses to motivate the crew in case they don't meet his expectations. I am thinking about adding some Gnoblar slaves to the Earthshaker, so these will be welcome victims if he has a bad day. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 06-13-2007 03:37 PM

Wow, the sculpting work is superb!  Well done my friend!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 06-13-2007 04:49 PM

dedwrekka Wrote:
Oooh, I love the whip!

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

But, it looks excellent and you haven't had to change loads of the model to make it look effective! Takes Hat off My hat to you sir! (But, I keep the hat...)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-14-2007 06:45 AM

Oi, thanks for all your positive feedback! Big Grin I shall see to it that Thosk will get a nice and prominent place on the Earthshaker's diorama base. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 06-19-2007 04:28 AM

Trully awesome GS work, we must all aspire to your standards, now get him painted!!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 06-23-2007 05:16 PM

Those guys look evil!!
An inspiration, can't wait to see what you come up with next Respect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - The Slaver - 06-23-2007 08:02 PM

That is AWSOME!!! the burnt face, the whip, he is perfect. in my opinion, THIS is where the CD should be going.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarTzuk - 06-28-2007 05:24 AM

Greetings! Takes Hat off I really like your chaos dwarf warriors and hobgoblin bolt thrower. Im so jealous (i must get those moulds!!!) If Games Workshop is going to remake chaos dwarfs, they should make them like these.

-WarTzuk

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kobarf - 06-28-2007 11:32 AM

Your army is truly amazing, makes me appreciate the big hats Takes Hat off
That body casting idea is gold, might have to do the same once I get some multipart dwarfs if you don't mind. Really love the overseer too, can't wait to see him painted up.

Kobarf

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-30-2007 09:56 AM

Finally, I can present my scratch-built Earthshaker. After all, no self-respecting Chaos Dwarf Warlord can do without one. Happy

The initial start of the project was my find of a cheap plastic lamp socket in a DIY store which I transformed (with a lot of Greenstuff) into the mortar. The chassis (except the wheels) is totally built from scratch using all kinds of plastic parts. These were then covered in greenstuff so that I could give it an iron, hammered surface finish. Hope you like it! Respect to the Hat!

Hashut!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 06-30-2007 10:04 AM

Thats one of the best Chaos dwarf conversions I've ever seen.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 06-30-2007 11:41 AM

absolutely fantastic. I was going to use the spare cannon parts from my dwarf organ gun but this is so much cooler. The fat barrel is what really makes it an earthshaker!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kobarf - 06-30-2007 11:43 AM

Like I said on HoH, really amazing, love the whole atmosphere of the model and the detailed touches really make it stand out.
Congratulations Cheers!

Kobarf

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - cornixt - 06-30-2007 09:59 PM

Wow, that is amazing.  I love the big hat in the back!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 07-01-2007 11:53 AM

What can I say? Stunning as usual. Your paint scheme just seems to make already brillant conversions outstanding. Are you planning to enter any of your chaos dwarfs into Golden Daemon this year. I think you'd be in with a chance

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 07-01-2007 01:16 PM

I really don't think my stuff is nearly good enough for realistic chances at the Golden Demon. However, I might enter some of my Chaos Dwarfs to have them represented at all in the competition! Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 07-01-2007 01:32 PM

Granted the standard has shot up the last couple of years, especially here in the UK, but you're stuff could win some trophies at GD!!!!
I went to my first Games Day last year and there was alot of interest around Golden Demon and if people saw your miniatures there (that earthshaker in particular) it would definitley rally more troops to our cause, so you see its for the good of the community you don't really have a choice now Ishkur Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - The Flying Beaver - 07-01-2007 03:43 PM

That takes the award for being my favouritest earthshaker ever.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - The Slaver - 07-01-2007 06:16 PM

* head simply implodes with the raw awsomeness of this project, spewing kudos over everything*

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 07-01-2007 06:50 PM

Well f*ck*ng done old chap! That is a most excellent earthshaker indeed and perhaps the best conversion I have EVR seen...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Arashi - 07-02-2007 12:31 PM

I think Im in love, that earthshaker is the best thing I have ever seen... My b-day is soon, so you could convert a second one for me, neh? Wink

Serriously, I cant find any faults on it, its just goddamn perfect. Where is that bullhead from the second picture from? And how did you get that shape on the metal?
The DZ with the whip is also fantastic, but I think I have told you that before Tongue Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 07-02-2007 01:15 PM

That bull's head is from an earlier project of mine.. For some time I wanted to build an army of the Minotaurs Space Marine Chapter and created quite... um, elaborate.. shoulder pads for them:

While I loved the result (so exaggerated, it's almost like World of Warcraft!) the sculpts would not cast well, so I dropped the project.

Still it means I have some bull heads around for fitting Dawi Zharr conversions. Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Lepreh Khan - 07-02-2007 05:57 PM

Gee, I've just lost the drive momentarily to convert up stuff...

Hehe, the minotaur marines... half bull, half smurf...

-Lepreh Khan

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hobgobbler - 07-02-2007 08:57 PM

Wow, these look really nice, the best earthshaker ive ever seen, this GW quality or better.
You should try and convince xander to put you in the picture gallery section, your cd's have no doubt inspired all of us

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-02-2007 09:10 PM

Hobgobbler Wrote:
You should try and convince xander to put you in the picture gallery section, your cd's have no doubt inspired all of us

I will definitely make a page for Ishkur if he wants it!  I will be adding more to Snotlin's page very soon. Happy  I also should have room for Bjorni's army which is a great example of a fast made army, and one tht uses the Helmed look.

EDIT: Oh ya, stunning work Ishkur!  A fine example for all to follow!  Really encapsulates the raw force and power of the Earthshaker Cannon!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 07-03-2007 07:03 AM

There is not an awful lot of models in my army yet, but I'd sure love to and be honoured to have an army feature on the main page! Happy

Next up is another regiment of troops, so that I can provide some more hatty dwarfs soon.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 07-03-2007 09:03 AM

Awesome, having the full set of HW+S, GW and blunders would be awesome to see. I still think your army would do well at Golden Daemon. I'd enter as many categories as possible to get maximum exposure. The only difficulty is transport - but If you can get stuff to a game you can get it to gamesday!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-03-2007 09:52 AM

Ya, some pics of all the things you have done in one place would be really cool.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Traitor King - 07-03-2007 04:00 PM

sweet, that earthshaker is AMAZING!
i've got to make me an earthsaker now, only on a bit of a smaller scale. AS was said before, the big barrel realy does it.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-04-2007 08:01 PM

Would you mind if I added your Earthshaker Conversion to the Wiki? Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 07-05-2007 08:24 AM

That Earthshaker is one of the best conversions I have ever seen. So many details and so beautifully paintet.
Gonna have one of those Respect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 07-05-2007 09:10 AM

As always Ishkur awesome,the best big hat style conversions and army cohesion ever, love the earthshaker a true bringer of earthquakes

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-05-2007 10:10 AM

Added it to the Earthshaker Cannon Conversions section on the Wiki. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 07-05-2007 10:59 AM

I dont know if its my place or not, but i think ikshur should be awarded a reputation point, simply because his conversions are groundbreaking and inspire us all with his ingenuity. I bet a good few of us have looked inside lamps now just to see if that bit will make a good earthshaker.

EDIT: It said laps not lamps. Man, that was confusing and scary!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-05-2007 12:18 PM

His work is very inspiring, yep!  As for reputation, they are generally awarded for community participation, or similar.  For example if Ishkur were to consent to a small interview and having his painted models displayed on the main page of CDO, then such a thing would no doubt earn a reputation point. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ellimist - 07-05-2007 05:09 PM

:0

Oh... wow. Those are all amazing, especially the Earthshaker. I can't wait to see the completed project!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 07-09-2007 04:58 AM

Yet again you make some awsome models. What do get everything from?! You are so good.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 07-27-2007 11:06 AM

Ishkur, how is the mold set up for the Warriors? Two-piece or one-piece? And where on the CD torso do you have the channel for casting- on the back or the underside of the piece? I'm seriously considering making my own, and need some advice.

BTW, I don't think you could sell them even if you sculpted the torso yourself. GW hates conversion kits for their minis, you'd get a cease-and-desist within a week.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-27-2007 11:16 AM

catbarf Wrote:
Ishkur, how is the mold set up for the Warriors? Two-piece or one-piece? And where on the CD torso do you have the channel for casting- on the back or the underside of the piece? I'm seriously considering making my own, and need some advice.

BTW, I don't think you could sell them even if you sculpted the torso yourself. GW hates conversion kits for their minis, you'd get a cease-and-desist within a week.

Do you have any examples of conversion kits that got stopped?  I want to read up on it.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 07-28-2007 12:45 AM

"MODEL CONVERSION KITS
We do not allow unlicensed third parties to manufacture or produce conversion kits for our models. We need to be able to control our products and all derivatives thereto in order that we produce quality products for years to come." - Games Workshop.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 07-28-2007 04:28 AM

That's also what I read on GW Germany's legal disclaimer page as mentioned here. I have no idea if this has any real legal foundation at all, but it was one of the reasons why I never sold any of my stuff.

At last, my regiment with blunderbusses is finished! Took me about a week, although I already reduced the amount of detail work and precision during painting, as it's really very basic rank & file. Next to come are either a bunch of CD-themed Black Orcs or some Zharry scenery. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 07-28-2007 05:05 AM

Great stuff!
The colour-scheme works really well with your models, I wouldn't have thought the big-hat look would work in the 7th Ed style miniatures but you've convinced me otherwise!
Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 07-28-2007 08:26 AM

they look cool can i ask did you use the buckler method for your blunderbusses? my box is sitting on the table waiting to be converted!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-28-2007 11:29 AM

Looks like the buckler method with some bonus plastic rods.

Awesome stuff my friend I shall have to add these pics to your Gallery on the main site.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 07-29-2007 02:25 AM

Wow. Just great.

For mine, I'm going to need to steal the Gnoblar-nose idea. That's going to save lots of time.

How did you sculpt the tusks exactly?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - greenskin - 07-29-2007 03:12 AM

hi... I really like your basesTakes Hat off can you please tell me how you did them that way... If you do I might steal them if it's okTongue

Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 07-29-2007 08:15 AM

ive just noticed arent you putting command models in the blunderbuss units?

i would be a shame to let that modelling opportunity pass i think.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 07-29-2007 01:20 PM

No command models, no. It's just a waste of points. I might have included a musician, but during discussion it was found that he's not worth it either. Those blunderbussiers need to shoot the hell out of their enemies, not waste time with looking dashing on the battlefield. Wink

There is nothing special to the lava bases really. Just some modelling sand, some spots left empty and lava sculpted / painted in.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Snotling - 07-29-2007 02:11 PM

i want your army.... Sad

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 08-02-2007 05:10 PM

Those BBs are excellent IshkurTakes Hat off - and I love your bighats. Mayby full command is a waste of points - but you could make them just to show ofHappy - Would love to see some champions, Standard Bearers and musicians by your hand.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-05-2007 01:56 PM

@Clam: you can see my take on standard bearers in the warriors' regiment with shields and hand weapon. The full second regiment with great weapons is finished, and basically looks very similar. Gonna paint them and show them off soon. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Dracomancer - 08-05-2007 04:28 PM

Wow! very, VERY nice job so far, looking forward to more pics, cheers!Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 08-23-2007 04:13 PM

Sorry if this would be considered necromancy, but how did you paint the brownish color on the cloth? It looks great!

Also, is the area around the chainmail more metallics, or just grey?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-27-2007 06:53 AM

The brown cloth was made using a base mix of chaos black and graveyeard earth. For the later highlight, I just added more graveyeard earth.

It's bad that I haven't been able to update the Chaos Dwarfs lately. I had my first battle (500 points, allied to Ogres) last weekend against Wood Elves (and Skaven). It was quite a show, my Earthshaker blew up with his first shot Happy the Blunderbussiers killed a handful of Dryads before being crushed by a treeman and the Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower failed to kill a single rat. Oh, and my scorcerors didn't achieve anything either, but it was still a lot of fun. My combat results were usually better than those of my big-bellied ally. ^^

Currently, I am tied up with a 40k project, but worry not, more Dawi Zharr are still in the pipeline!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 08-27-2007 07:46 AM

Psst, Iskur make some bull centaurs... hint...hint...
Seriously though dude, I'd love to see your take on these guys

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 08-27-2007 10:18 AM

Hey, can you give me some measurements on the hats? Like, how tall? I think the size you have on them is perfect, and I'm trying to replicate it- but everything looks different when painted.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-27-2007 01:08 PM

The hats are about 10-11mm high. The tallest one is the "Marauder Drum"-one, with approx. 13mm height.

Bull Centaurs, yay Happy - as soon as I have finished the last regiment of warriors and my 20 Black Orcs!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 09-14-2007 05:54 PM

Shock they truly look like 7th edition models try to make some orks with chains together

And what is GW?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Traitor King - 09-15-2007 06:55 AM

Im dont know which instance you mean it in (didnt se it used) but it usually stands for Games Workshop or Great Weopens.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 09-15-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:
Another full regiment of warriors (with GW) is waiting to be painted

i think that maby your right about Great wepon

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kyte - 09-15-2007 12:22 PM

please do something new! The blog is dead-ish! I can't live without your awsomeness!

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Tallhat - 09-28-2007 07:45 AM

ZOMG! I want you to make the new Dawi Zharr models! This is almost so good as to be called art!

- Tallhat

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 09-29-2007 06:41 AM

I don't see why mini painting (as an end in itself) isn't usually art tallhat, check out Golden Daemon, or Golden Hat for that matter! but I agree with you on one thing - MAKE MORE MODELS ISHKUR!!!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-29-2007 07:09 AM

Sorry for having been off for so long, guys. I got tied up by gas-masked and servo-armoured thingies!

Ishkurs Chaos Dwarfs shall be back with force soon. I already issued new whips to my slave masters to get some work done. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Tallhat - 09-29-2007 08:29 AM

AGPO Wrote:
I don't see why mini painting (as an end in itself) isn't usually art tallhat, check out Golden Daemon, or Golden Hat for that matter! but I agree with you on one thing - MAKE MORE MODELS ISHKUR!!!

I wasnt implying that painting isnt art. I was talkign about his modeling skills. I was actually giving him a compliment.

- Tallhat

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 09-30-2007 02:24 PM

Wow now thats a great painted army. i like the Hobgoblin bolt thower

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 09-30-2007 04:25 PM

Huzzah more stuff from Ishkur coming soon i am getting so excited i am spilling my beerCheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 10-01-2007 09:57 AM

Hey no alcohol abuse as in spilling it instead of drinking it! Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 10-06-2007 08:11 AM

Tallhat Wrote:

AGPO Wrote:

I wasnt implying that painting isnt art. I was talkign about his modeling skills. I was actually giving him a compliment.

- Tallhat

I recognised the compliment, I was just saying that painting and modelling are art forms and thus worthy of the status whatever the level. Sorry to have caused confusion, it was just pedantry on my part. *cough* bull centaurs *cough*

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-11-2007 03:03 PM

Oi! My Khan got more credit through the Golden Hat than a lowly hobgoblin deserves, yet I am happy so many of you liked it! Here are some larger pictures - to show all the painting mistakes which the small format of the pictures in the GH thread so kindly masked. Wink

And this is how I made him - lo, a lot of text ahead! ^^

My hobgoblin boss, Khan gedei Nosebiter, had a mount already in the first sketches. But the GW wolves are quite static and tend to get boring as you run out of creative options how to assemble them (there are only about two, really). So it was clear for me that I needed to do some heavy converting to make his mount a bit more interesting!

I wanted to show the wolf in mid-motion, looking for prey, maybe a bit like a hound and had a special paw position in mind. So I checked Wikipedia's entry on wolves and found that the pose is indeed possible. I cut all the legs and ankles of the wolf on several joints and completely repositioned them. I also wanted the wolf head to look to the side, other than all other wolves in the squad. The resulting gaps were filled with brown stuff and lots of fur and skin were then resculpted over that with the softer green stuff.

In the end I was really happy with how the wolf turned out, more so after the painting. I'm more happy with the wolf actually than I am with the rider. :/

Hobgoblins are more a type of allies for the Chaos Dwarfs, not real slaves as the other greenskins. I mean, they might be wretched allies, but are allies nonetheless Happy - so I went for a rather bold leader, with sashimono back banners, trophies and the biggest hat of all!!

At first I researched my Osprey book for Mongol Warriors for possible weapon and armour designs, but in the end I just based the design on that of the other wolf riders.

As I had a spare Oglah Khan miniature (I bought two boxes to make my unit of 10), I cut it apart at the waist line and discarded the upper body. The legs were used without any further conversion. The torso, fur and armour are built from scratch using brown stuff and green stuff. The arms are from Chaos Marauders (the left one is actually a metal right arm from the Marauder horsemen turned upside down. You don't see it under the shield but it has the thumb on the wrong side of the hand *g*) the sword blade was made from milliput and filed to look pointier, then attached to the hilt of a Skeleton sword and pinned to the plastic hand. The face is a brown stuff cast off a sneaky git, with a resculpted chin and new, half-curly brown stuff beard. The leather and fur of the helmet were scratch-made in several layers of green stuff.

I think the helmet is probably the best part of the rider, as it turned out really nice.
The worst part of the rider however is the cloak of fur on his back, that's supposed to cover the harness for the banner poles. The fur just didn't turn out the way I wanted it!

The shoulder pads were also quite tricky, as they look simpler on the GW models than they are. I think they look fine after painting, but don't look like a convincing piece of scale mail or studded leather. If I use these on the Bull Centaurs; I'll need some practicing first.

I inverted the shield colours and painted the wolf differently from the others to make the boss stand out - but as it turned out this wouldn't have been necessary as the boss became a lot larger than planned - he stands about one head taller than the other wolf riders, which I guess is quite an impressive build for a hobgoblin! ^^

I am glad so many of you liked the model. I for my part definitely enjoyed the converting and painting, and I hope my boss will cut some throats nicely during the next battles! Respect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 10-11-2007 03:39 PM

BeautifulTakes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat off
Thank you for the lesson in the art of modelling  your work astoundsShock

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 10-11-2007 04:45 PM

Thank you! - not that I would even think about trying this out though. But still very inspiring.

And the wolf ..... OMG! - as said in the voting thread: "the best GW wolf I have ever seen". Please tell us how you did the paintjob for the wolf.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - McNs - 10-11-2007 05:08 PM

Keep it up Ishtar!  You are truly an inspiration! Cheers!

- McNs

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 10-11-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:
Here are some larger pictures - to show all the painting mistakes which the small format of the pictures in the GH thread so kindly masked.

Yeah Ishkur, because you really suffer from painting errors :p

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-11-2007 06:29 PM

Hehe nothing special about the wolf, regular highlighting and drybrushing technique. The wolf incl. base only took me an evening to paint. The rider was more demanding.

AGPO Wrote:
Yeah Ishkur, because you really suffer from painting errors :p

Yes, there is this terrible spot - right over there!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 10-14-2007 07:51 PM

Ishkur, I have an idea to add variety- why not split the molds into two pieces, one for the body and one for the hat?That way you could swap around the hats for variety.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-15-2007 07:14 AM

Theoretically it would be possible to cut off the hats after the resin has hardened to a degree. But the bodies don't look that much different, so I don't think anyone would see the effect.

I have however thought of sculpting a 6th model to add to my units. But finishing the existing stuff should have priority over that! Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Uzkul Werit - 10-15-2007 01:22 PM

Spotted the Hashut symbol on the quiver. Very nice touch.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-15-2007 04:05 PM

The horned skull? That's already sculpted on, straight from GW. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Malificant - 10-15-2007 04:59 PM

hey ishkur, could you post a guide on your technique for point-source lighting?  the effect from your lava is stunning.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 10-16-2007 08:03 AM

seconded

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-16-2007 02:53 PM

Nothing special really, those parts closer to the light source (i.e. the lava pool) are painted in brighter colours than those a bit further away. The parts where no light would get to (the other side of rocks etc) are left in the shadows. Surprised? Wink

I usually paint the brightest spots on the rocks with less highlights than the final highlights in the lava. It's just a reflection after all. I do believe though that there are much better lava effects out there than mine.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 10-16-2007 04:51 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
I do believe though that there are much better lava effects out there than mine.

Where exactly!Big Grin
Which paints do you use GW,foundry,vallejo? i did think about buying foundry paints but dont think my abilities would do them justice

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hammerhand - 10-16-2007 05:28 PM

Quite simply staggering.  Really inspiring. wow.  I've suddenly got the urge to make a mould of one of my guys, just to see if I can!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 10-16-2007 05:42 PM

I've lost track of the thread showing those really awesome lava bases some guy had for sale, anyone got the link?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-17-2007 07:15 AM

Well, I think searching for "lava base" in google should already produce some suitable links!

I paint most of the stuff with regular Citadel paints. I recently bought the foundation paint "Mechrite red" and use it a lot on the Chaos Dwarfs. I also have some Vallejo paints, but these are mostly browns and greys.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 10-17-2007 09:53 AM

Great stuff Ishkur, congrats on the Golden Hat.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 10-19-2007 08:49 AM

Hey Hal, haven't seen you round here lately

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 10-20-2007 11:09 AM

Quote:
Hey Hal, haven't seen you round here lately

Yeah, starting back in college and with a job this time. I also broke my hand Sad although it's not as bad as it sounds.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 10-23-2007 01:45 PM

The amount of work in your entry is impressive.  It surely deserved its win!

Well done!  May you continue to be an inspiration to all Chaos Dwarf players!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 10-24-2007 11:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your hand dude, but congrats on the job, hope college is going well for you

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-24-2007 01:09 PM

Since my progress on the army is currently very slow, I figured to show some of my current concept designs instead of new minis. Happy

My dark thoughts currently spin around scratch-made bull centaurs and immortals, the terrain piece idea is a bit older already.

Some sketches for possible designs of 'immortal' armour, masks and weapons. I imagine these guys are totally enclosed in armour from top to bottom. As I want to (if ever) sculpt my immortals completely from scratch, the design can be totally independent from any existing plastic parts by GW.

My idea for a possible bull centaur design. This one is a more fierce and beast-linke avatar of Hashut and should look a bit less civilized than the existing models who are clad in quite ornate armour.

A design concept for a bull centaur's buckler. The outline is supposed to fit better to the body shape of a centaur when held in the left hand than a regular round shield would (dunno if this sounds as if it makes sense at all..).

The tomb of Gnar. An idea for chaos dwarf architecture; turned out to look like a type of monument rather than a temple or tomb. When I drew this one I had no idea what chaos dwarf writing could look like, so the inscription in the pedestal might look a bit weird. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - zagor66 - 10-24-2007 01:12 PM

Im going to do a greek-themed temple with the face of Hashut around it and paint it in a obsidan colour.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 10-24-2007 01:53 PM

Great artwork ishkur the immortals are Awesome lets hope GW create something approaching those if they ever produce minis.Would be amazing to see those createdTakes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Grimstonefire - 10-24-2007 03:42 PM

Assuming that you would be resin casting them, I suggest you pay close attention to the armour on the legs.

Having tried twice to sculpt immortals, I have yet to come up with a design I really like.

I also suggest you make them really broad (side to side and front to back), so each one looks like it could be a hero.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Pyro Stick - 10-24-2007 04:29 PM

The style of the bull centaurs look more like the old boar centaurs but i can see what you are trying to do. I think the tomb turned really well IMO.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 10-24-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:
The style of the bull centaurs look more like the old boar centaurs

I noticed that too, love it!!!
Some of the armour for the Dwarfs in the first pic are very marauder-esque, they look like marauders with curly beards, again love it!!
These are some very cool drawings Ishkur, if the models turn out anything like them (which I am sure they will) then your army is just going to look ridiculously good! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 10-24-2007 05:23 PM

Great dwawing !!! i like the bull cantaur and his big axe

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 10-25-2007 12:44 AM

Wow!  Awesome work Ishkur!  Also, what do you think of the new banner for CDO? Tongue

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 10-25-2007 05:32 AM

Great drawings Ishkur! If the Immortals are 100% sculpted does that mean there's a possiblity that you might be able to sell some? I love the bull centaur - suitably stocky

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-25-2007 07:06 AM

Grimstonefire Wrote:
Having tried twice to sculpt immortals, I have yet to come up with a design I really like.

I also suggest you make them really broad (side to side and front to back), so each one looks like it could be a hero.

Totally agree with you there - I imagine the regiment front rank should look like one big wall of armour. I have not found a design yet that I can really fall in love with. I'll keep trying. Wink

Xander Wrote:
Wow!Awesome work Ishkur!Also, what do you think of the new banner for CDO? Tongue

Shock !!!!

AGPO Wrote:
Great drawings Ishkur! If the Immortals are 100% sculpted does that mean there's a possiblity that you might be able to sell some?

There would certainly be no possible legal objection to that! I'd probably just have to stay away from any GW-ish symbols like the rune of Hashut or so.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 11-03-2007 08:31 AM

Well we coul always add those later

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - wallacer - 11-04-2007 04:45 PM

Those drawings really are excellent.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - grunts - 11-07-2007 02:16 PM

Ishkur, I never thought I'd be saying this about bighats, but love 'em love 'em love 'em.  Really well done.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 11-07-2007 10:19 PM

For the love of god please sell some of them resin batches ill pay money!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-08-2007 08:10 AM

Hehe I should give up my job and start sculpting miniatures for a living! Happy

...that may mean though that I would have to live in my car for a few months, eat dry bread and cancel my internet connection. Which in turn means that I won't be able to visit CDO anymore! Shock So maybe it's not a good idea after all.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ellimist - 11-08-2007 02:27 PM

Wow,amazing work as always Ishkur. Do I see some droplet-hats in the concept drawings? I'd love to see your take on those.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-08-2007 04:56 PM

Yes the one in the bull centaur drawing is my favourite design. If I ever create a fifth type of head of my warriors, this one might be it. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-09-2007 04:41 PM

Really like the drawings iksur!

It might only be a small thing, but i really like the guy next to the tomb

As an art student, i spot these little details!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-09-2007 04:57 PM

Hehe good find - not many mask/helmet style Chaos Dwarfs in my drawings, are there! Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-09-2007 06:35 PM

Iksur -

I really like the baggy robes and the ww1 (methinks) german like spike on the helmet

May i have permittion to steal the idea?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 11-09-2007 10:15 PM

no seriously ill give you you $2 a cast, ill have 45Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-10-2007 05:20 AM

@WarplockMonkey: you shall stop to consistently mistype my name - or Hashut will have your beard fall off! Hashut!

@gIL^ sorry mate, no way. If I ever finish the 100% original Immortal sculpts, I will be free to sell them en masse, though!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-10-2007 11:32 AM

Ok ISHKUR.....

Tongue

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 11-10-2007 01:35 PM

ooo yea i get it mate no worries, your doing a good job keep at it, the immortal sketches are amazing

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 11-15-2007 01:17 AM

hey I'm wondering if you could tell me what and were did you get the bases for the hats of you original models of you CDs becouse bugging me because i cant find parts to make hats and faces

thanks

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-15-2007 08:07 AM

I took some parts that were ready available in my kitchen, some are tips of icing bags, I also used two chaos marauder's drums and stuck them together.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-16-2007 08:17 AM

Fellow Dwarfs of Fire, I am quite happy to be able to show some progress with my army. Happy Although I know I should not be working on anything but the required standard units yet, I felt the need to realize something more interesting - my Taurus.

This is quite a bit of work, actually since I found no suitable bull model to base the Taurus conversion on. So I bought a pack of Fimo (a godsend, this stuff) which allowed me to build the basic shape of the model quite quickly. For those of you who don't know this, it's a kind of modelling clay that is baked in the oven and gets rock hard, so does not need to put somewhere to dry over many hours. The below basic sculpt was finished in 4-5 evening sessions.

Still missing are the General riding on that beast and maybe one or the other detail added, or refined. In the end I want the Taurus to be entirely black and glowing from the inside through the cracks in the skin, similar to the Balrog. And yes, these are Balrog wings, the only thing that looks good IMO.

Hope you like it! Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 11-16-2007 03:32 PM

amazing taurus! i actually bought some fimo a few months back when i was bored at my girlfriends place and made a load of wizards and jesus. obviously it was absolutely useless for putting details on and it just went floppy, but you have just proved my findings wrong, by the use of fimo for just the basic shapes you could get large models done quickly at a much lower cost.

the only thing i find is that it gets very brittle once it is dry. what do you think?

oh and the bulls anatomy seems perfect. was it your first go?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Extartius - 11-16-2007 03:49 PM

Not only do I love the conversions, I love the paint job too...  the reflected light from the lava it pure class.

Inspirational!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Pyro Stick - 11-16-2007 04:18 PM

Mmmmmm...Yummy....I like it. This is going to be mega impressive when its done.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Uzkul Werit - 11-16-2007 05:14 PM

Wow. Just wow. I love the hat scuplture on the base.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 11-17-2007 05:52 AM

Wow thats so great  i love it !!!!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-17-2007 06:24 AM

"Fimo soft" is the brand that I used and I found it is quite easy to sculpt and not brittle at all, especially as it is hardly sticky at all and you won't need to use wet tools all the time. I agree though that fine details are almost impossible to sculpt, that's were the green stuff really pays off.

The body was indeed my first go, the head was tricky however and in the end I went with the third one that I made. I'll try to make the rider this weekend and do the first paint sessions next week. So stay tuned! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-17-2007 10:38 AM

SWEET MOTHER OF HASHUT!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Ishkur, you have inspired me... i gotta make one of these!

*SLAVE*

Please please please can i use this idea? Not exactly the same, but based upon?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kyte - 11-17-2007 02:27 PM

If I didn't alreadu have a taurus, and my bases were so boring, I'd make a taurus like yours. It's simply stunning! Some tusks might make it even more imposing though. You might also wanna make some dead trees growing from the pilar.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - BLOOD AXE - 11-17-2007 02:31 PM

GREAT FIREY BALLS OF HASHUT!!!!

That is fantastic! Really nice work.
I wish I could sculpt like that.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 11-17-2007 04:09 PM

Do you have to use some type of structure to hold its shape. I found some time when you drop bake clay stuff it breaks is it durable to the drop test  ( please dont drop it ) or since it bulky its stable.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 11-17-2007 05:07 PM

As always Awesome without doubt top qualityRespect to the Hat! .I love the fact you show the stages to create such an impressive Taurus,inspiring stuff the base is very good and the lava?  flowing from the mouth is a must have steal idea for my ziggurat pulled by jugger in fact it has inspired me to get going with it cheersCheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-17-2007 06:31 PM

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
Please please please can i use this idea? Not exactly the same, but based upon?

Of course! Go ahead and please Hashut with a worthy Taurus! Hashut!

Kyte Wrote:
Some tusks might make it even more imposing though. You might also wanna make some dead trees growing from the pilar.

Good point about the tusks, I'll definitely add these! Have to be careful though, it should not look like a mutated boar...

Kera foehunter Wrote:
Do you have to use some type of structure to hold its shape. I found some time when you drop bake clay stuff it breaks is it durable to the drop test( please dont drop it ) or since it bulky its stable.

Shock I wouldn't drop it! I didn't need an armature for the body, but the legs were pinned before baking, to make the connection a bit stronger. And the pin that connects the Taurus to the base is quite long, and basically goes through the whole leg to make sure the connection will be strong and lasting.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-17-2007 07:41 PM

Ishkur:

Come to think of it, imho it would be cool if you added some golden armour to it, nothing fancy, just like a brass bridle or something, and maybe some ankle bracelets. I know some of you smartarses out there would think that if the taurus is basically lava, wouldnt the gold melt? Im just thinking of the aesthetic value of it, and it could have some fancy runes on it or summut Unsure

I was also thinking, are you doing a big hat rider? Because i did a concept drawing a few days ago, and i though that it would kinda suit this project if you're are interested in having a look....

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-17-2007 07:50 PM

Sure, feel free to post suggestions for the rider! I have a concept ready, but I am not sure yet with which parts I am going to realize it...

I am torn when it comes to the armour for the Taurus. Basically, it would definitely look cool, but then again I think a mighty avatar of Hashut won't need no armour! This is not final yet, however, and I will have to add a few things here and there anyway during the next days.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 11-18-2007 05:01 AM

Whoa nelly.

That looks amazing, can't wait to see this bad boy painted!  Love the lava-esk scales.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 11-18-2007 01:05 PM

looks yummy, another mini for your casting shop Tongue.

on a serious note, i think you should make an appointment with gw and let them know theres talented sculpters working on cd stuff, your stuff is fantastic, and not far behind games workshop standard, keep it up your army is simply stunning,

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-18-2007 02:58 PM

Well ishkur this was my idea

Hes based on the old taurus rider, but less static

Watdya think?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-18-2007 03:24 PM

Mine will definitely get hammer and shield, too. And a huge hammer it will be! Happy I'm not sure if I'll give him horns, though. The Taurus has big ones already, and I don't want the rider to compete with them..

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 11-18-2007 03:51 PM

that nice Warplock monkey *Kera  SIGH i wish i could draw. HE EVEN LOOK HAPPY

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 11-20-2007 06:49 AM

gIL^ Wrote:
Your stuff is fantastic, and not far behind games workshop standard

No, its not far behind GW standard - its well ahead!! IF I had a choice of minis, some of GWs latest offerings or Ishkurs, theres no question in my mind

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 11-20-2007 08:05 AM

That's a sweet Taurus you made there - you are a very talented sculptor - Ishkur Respect to the Hat! and a SLAVE

I look forward to see you progress in this project - and especially to see the Tarus Lord.

You won't have a go on some magic items for him (weaponry/armoury)?

I could see him with a Obsidian bladed axe and some Gazrakh armour, that would give you a free hand to actually make him ride the Taurus.

And I think you should think of some kind of armoury for the Taurus, other sorts of plated decorations or perhaps just some chains to master the beast.
I agree that an avartar don't have the needs for it - but you want it to stand out as a terrifying beast - won't you? - as it should cause terror - and not just look like a "flying bull" Happy. Or maybe it's just me - and my love for the long rumoured new Azhag and new Orc Wyvern.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-20-2007 08:24 AM

AGPO Wrote:
No, its not far behind GW standard - its well ahead!! IF I had a choice of minis, some of GWs latest offerings or Ishkurs, theres no question in my mind

Thanks AGPO, well done! I'll send the money to your account as agreed. Wink

@clam: I have just started work on the saddle/throne thingie. I planned to have some chains, definitely. Still not sure about the armour, but it would certainly look cool. The rider is currently at risk of turning out too unimpressive, so still a lot of work to be done here!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 11-20-2007 08:42 AM

Lol, but seriously dude, your stuff rocks!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 11-20-2007 07:09 PM

I have an idea, you could make it look like lava is flowing down inside the cracks of his armor if he was using some magic armor that protects him from lava or its just an apperance... just a thought.

As for the hat i dont know, maby if you converted one more chaos drum and made it more fancy complet with a scary mask, really scary

There are some of my ideasEvil idea

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-27-2007 02:06 PM

Oi, I think it's time for an update! The further sculpting has taken a lot longer than expected, but I am about to start painting soon. First, the Taurus:

Added banner poles, a saddle / seat, some armour plates to which the former is fixed and some greaves for the front legs. I don't feel more armour is needed really. I am not happy with the flames on top of the banner poles yet...

Next, the rider:

The face will be a golden or iron mask which includes the brows and the moustache. I am not sure yet if I should give him a black beard and glowing eyes, or regular eyes and a red beard. The idea behind the red beard would be that his name "Bharzakk Firebeard" comes from the colour. The flames on the hammer looked like total crap, so I removed them after taking the picture and having seen them in full zoom. Shock

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Doombeard - 11-27-2007 02:50 PM

looking good man . face looks sweet

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 11-27-2007 03:07 PM

Awesome mate, as always. I wouldn't dtch the flaming hammer idea totally though, I think its a cool touch

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 11-27-2007 03:36 PM

The bull looks awesome, good choice for the throne! Cheers!
I think the golden mask and red beard is a brilliant idea!! would the beard be bright red though or that gorey red you use on your warriors?
Can we get a shot of his right side? looks like one hell of a shoulder piece!!Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-27-2007 04:09 PM

Wooooow

I agree with you, the taurus has just enough armour, just enough to make him look fancy Tongue

And with the rider, really cool! Although i think the hammer is too big *ducks barrage*, and the main bit of the hat could have some fancy bits on it

As for the beard, i think it should be red, starting with a red at the bottom, slowly progressing to blazing orange at the top

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-27-2007 05:46 PM

Ghrask Dragh Wrote:
The bull looks awesome, good choice for the throne! Cheers!
I think the golden mask and red beard is a brilliant idea!! would the beard be bright red though or that gorey red you use on your warriors?
Can we get a shot of his right side? looks like one hell of a shoulder piece!!Cheers!

Sure, here is some more WIP photos of the rider.

Not sure about the beard colour yet. Basically I'd like to try a red / white combination, similar to the crazed Rainald character from Kingdom of Heaven. Respect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 11-27-2007 07:48 PM

SWEEEEET! cant wait to see him painted on his mount ,excellent sculpting Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 11-28-2007 02:52 AM

Thank You!
Excellent idea for the shoulder plates and the shield Takes Hat off
the rope looks very well done, is it as easy as it looks to make?

Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-28-2007 08:15 AM

Yes it is indeed! Attaching that thing is the most fiddly part, but making the rope is as simple as hardly anything else. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-28-2007 08:29 AM

How come he has a WOODEN sheild?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 11-28-2007 12:23 PM

Indeed, you could put some thin GS over the wooden areas of the shield.  The sheild is awesome because of the skin on it that has been made to look bull-like. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-28-2007 01:46 PM

You are totally right. Will do that!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Pyro Stick - 11-28-2007 01:54 PM

WoW your lord is going to turn out awesome. Cant wait to see the paint job. Where is the shield from? Its perfect for that model.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Thrask - 11-28-2007 04:35 PM

Awesome sculpting you did there!

I really like the ( if I see it right ) beard on the skull,which in my opinion really adds some extra character to the model.

Also, I like the wooden shield. But that might be because all my sheild wearing forces wear wood..

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Thrask

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 11-28-2007 05:57 PM

That is one great Lord you got there Ishkur - so beautifully sculpted (as allways)Cheers!

Nice face, nice hat, nice armour plates - nice, nice, nice...Big Grin - have some slaves.

And I love the Taurus - but - as said before - I think you could make it look more mean and evil.

One question though - would the Lord be standing on the throne?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 11-28-2007 06:07 PM

THATS sooo coool i like the rope around the hammer and his arrow shoulder pad.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 11-28-2007 07:10 PM

were did you get the mushstach and his eyebrows

oh and i love it could you try to give a shot with him on the bull when everythings all done before the painting

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 11-29-2007 07:26 AM

any chance of another full army shot when this taurus and rider is finished?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-29-2007 08:18 AM

The mustache is from a regular Dwarf warrior (not the current version, but the last edition one). Just cut away the feeble nose, the face and the beard and replaced it with something proper. Wink

I came up with the rope idea when I thought how he'd use his hammer. This way he could now hurl it down at someone and then pull it back up. Otherwise the bull does all the carnage and the rider is reduced to watching the action - clearly not befitting a Chaos Dwarf lord!

He sits on the throne, but I agree that the dwarf miniatures don't have a lot of knee, so it might look like he is reclining.

Knight Of Awsome Wrote:
were did you get the mushstach and his eyebrows

oh and i love it could you try to give a shot with him on the bull when everythings all done before the painting

Can do Sir! Respect to the Hat! Current status:

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 11-29-2007 08:44 AM

Holy holy things! That's looking awesome! (Love the colour scheme Wink ) I'm just wondering if he'd look better with his legs straight in front of him, instead? (The rider that is)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Pyro Stick - 11-29-2007 12:57 PM

Worlds most awesome lord on taurus im thinking. Absolutely stunning.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 11-29-2007 02:51 PM

Wooooooooow

The lava is apsolutley fantastic, it actually looks as if its oozing aross the base, how did you do it?

I seriously gotta try this sumtime....i just need the materials,the wings, (would the old dragon ones work?) and the courage to undertake such a big project

I think i see a posible golden demon for you mr cinderhat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Grongi Blackbeard - 11-29-2007 02:58 PM

i have no words... just... wow

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 11-29-2007 04:23 PM

Ishkur Wrote:
I came up with the rope idea when I thought how he'd use his hammer. This way he could now hurl it down at someone and then pull it back up. Otherwise the bull does all the carnage and the rider is reduced to watching the action - clearly not befitting a Chaos Dwarf lord!

I've thought about that too, my principle is to give long pole arms such as glaives to any model who looks like he couldn't reach the enemy from his steed. Nice work though!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-29-2007 05:12 PM

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
The lava is apsolutley fantastic, it actually looks as if its oozing aross the base, how did you do it?

Lava is quite simple really, its all about the reflected glow on the rocks around it. This time I used a little bit of epoxy glue to "sculpt" little swirls and and make the lava flow a bit more interesting.

Quote:
I think i see a posible golden demon for you mr cinderhat!

alas that's not possible as GW prohibits entries where LOTR and GW parts are mixed, for copyright reasons I think. But I was aware of that right from the beginning... the Balrog wings still are the best out there, so I didn't bother. Wink

@AGPO: we could of course also show a bit of imagination and say that the weapon will return magically to its master, but we are more of the practical kind I guess. ^^

I have to wait with further painting as I ran out of Chaos Black spray after coating half of the Taurus - can you believe it?! Mad

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 11-29-2007 05:51 PM

Beautiful!so many ideas i must go and model Wink
Thanks IshkurTakes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 11-29-2007 06:09 PM

Thats so sweet!! Rider of the rainbow taurus. i like the rider and the way it fits the taurus with the flags its a great job Ishkur!!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 11-29-2007 06:20 PM

Kera Wrote:
Rider of the rainbow taurus

Save that for when you reach 1,000 posts Ishkur! Seriously good sculpting here Mr. Cinderhat sir, seriously good! I like the balrog style cracks in the skin, if the base is anything to go buy I'm sure you will make the firey underhide look hot as hell, are you going to sculpt the bottom half of your lords armour?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-30-2007 08:22 AM

Nah, no further changes planned for the lord. He is really armoured enough now. He won't have his buttocks fried by the Taurus' hot skin either... it a kind of magic! Big Grin

The Taurus will probably be either black or a very dark red, with a red glow coming from the nostrils, eyes and cracks in the skin. Maybe I'll have a little reflection of the Lava on the belly and feet, but I'm not sure if it will look any good.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 11-30-2007 01:18 PM

Yes thats what i am going for living lava Taurus,Black with lava flow cracks and gouts of flames ,IMO the new look for a taurus.Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hammerhand - 11-30-2007 01:30 PM

My Lord Ishkur,

How dost thou do-eth the things you do??

absolubtly Astoundingly brilliant.  You are, indeed, a god.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 11-30-2007 07:01 PM

@ Ishkur: My Dad and I used to play runequest many moons ago - he had a dwarf character whose hammer had exactly those properties! When I saw the master rune of flight in the dwarf book it made it a must have

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 12-01-2007 04:10 PM

That is an amazing looking hero.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 12-02-2007 07:05 AM

Come on iskhur!!!!!!!!

We need an update!

Please get it done before cristmas!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-02-2007 07:25 AM

Everything is basecoated now. I will definitely have it finished within the week. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 12-02-2007 02:51 PM

*Jumps up and down exitedly*

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 12-02-2007 05:17 PM

Dude, I can't wait!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-02-2007 06:37 PM

Wow thats a buildup of expectations... *biteshisfingernailsnow*

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Doombeard - 12-02-2007 09:28 PM

like this canix?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 12-03-2007 06:05 AM

wow now that a great paint job

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-10-2007 02:21 PM

OK, so here it is.. the fire breathing mount of my great tyrant, Bharzakk Firebeard, Overlord of the Eastern Gate. It took awhile to get this piece finished, and I guess I could paint another week but it wouldn't get a lot better. So I rather invest some more time into the next unit or two. Wink Hope you still like it!

click for larger version here

click for larger version here

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - wallacer - 12-10-2007 02:49 PM

Even by your high standards that is a mighty staggering achievement.

Methinks it's more than worthy of some slaves *heads off to unlock the slave pens*

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 12-10-2007 03:01 PM

DAYUM! comes to mind. that is one nice beasty. In an evil and grizzly way. Ya know what I mean. But, dayum....

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - thepaintingmonkey - 12-10-2007 03:12 PM

That's just fantastic Ishkur.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 12-10-2007 03:28 PM

WOOOOOOOW ISHKUR!!!!!!!

I am very impressed!

Only one criticism..does he have a GOLDEN nose?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Father Grumpmas - 12-10-2007 03:48 PM

One thing I really love is that you have reversed the usual colour schemes so you have a black Taurus and a red Lammasu.

The Taurus is seriously excellent - motivating me to dust off my old lead one and finish painting it.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 12-10-2007 04:14 PM

Holy crap that is good! At the same time "damn it" thats what I've been working on for mine as far as the body goes! Mad

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 12-10-2007 04:32 PM

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
WOOOOOOOW ISHKUR!!!!!!!

I am very impressed!

Only one criticism..does he have a GOLDEN nose?

The Taurus or the Rider?

The Rider has a golden mask, and the Taurus has a flamey nose.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-10-2007 05:13 PM

Oi, I'm so glad you like it! And quite honoured by your special newsflash, too Xander. Happy

Just to make it clear again, the Lammasu is not mine, it was just posted in my gallery. So don't give me credit for that one! hehe. The rider of my Taurus has a golden mask allright - I tried an iron one first, but then again everything else on that miniature is just rusty iron so it looked a bit unspectacular.

A "golden nose" is a nice idea for a prothesis of a battle-hardened veteran, though. Maybe I'll try this out on one of my champions! ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 12-10-2007 05:22 PM

Hey Ishkur, how many points have you amassed so far?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Father Grumpmas - 12-10-2007 05:55 PM

Sorry Ishkur - should have paid more attention concerning the Lammasu Shock

That means I can go black Taurus/red Lammasu myself and claim it was an original idea Respect to the Hat!
(sure someone has done it already)

Still a seriously cool Taurus

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 12-10-2007 06:10 PM

Holy cow!!!!!!!!! i mean bull thats the best paint bull i ever seen Ishkur.* kera thows her paint brushes to the ground and kills off her painting slaves.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 12-10-2007 06:26 PM

enter into golden demon  please

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Grimstonefire - 12-10-2007 06:30 PM

Excellant work Ishkur.  Definately worthy of a slave or two.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-10-2007 07:01 PM

@gIL^ can't - it's not allowed to enter conversions that include LoTR parts.

@Xander: let me see..
- playable: 1006 points
- fully painted: 1210 (443 of which is the Taurus, but that won't count until I got 2k)
- built but unpainted: 299 (half the wolf riders, one unit of warriors)
- yet to build: another bolt thrower, a unit of BLorcs and the scaries conversion thing of all: Bull Centaurs! Shock

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Khan! - 12-10-2007 07:32 PM

I'm not sure what more to say about your Taurus than "it's awesome," so...er... it's pretty much really awesome.  And for the record I think that the glowy eyes/nostrils are very effective.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 12-10-2007 07:34 PM

OMG!!Shock

I love, love and love it!!! It really inspired me to make someting!!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 12-10-2007 08:02 PM

Cooooooool i want one ,hopefully mine will look half as good i would be over the moon .The nostrils are greatTakes Hat off

iamahobgoblin Wrote:
like this canix?

Yes but the taurus like Ishkurs shoulders and hinds
my lammasu will be blue purple sort of like me av

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 12-11-2007 01:13 AM

Holy crap this thread now has over 10,000 views! O_O

*Bronze Army Award*

Also, you really should enter your stuff in a Golden Demon.  You should make an army tray and enter the whole army in the open category!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - angryboy2k - 12-11-2007 01:42 AM

I could have sworn GW have lifted the ban on mixing WFB and LotR parts now.

This taurus is fantastic Ishkur. I'm gobsmacked.

Steve

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ravel - 12-11-2007 02:30 AM

Wow, All I can say is wow.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ghrask Dragh - 12-11-2007 03:43 AM

Takes Hat off Ishkur, you can always tell how good a sculpt is once it's been painted and this is just mind-blowing!
Without a doubt one of the most talented sculptors and painters I have seen on warhamer forums. To say I am looking forward to see what you do with your Bull-Centaurs is an understatement!!

Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 12-11-2007 04:21 AM

WOW! - just WOW - and slaves must be sacrificed to you - many slaves

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-11-2007 04:59 AM

Bronze Army, yay!! Cheers!

Gee guys it really means a lot to me that you like it... also gives me the ever needed motivation to go on with building the Army! ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 12-11-2007 12:12 PM

With 3 medals, you are the most decorated CDO Member!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - The Raven - 12-11-2007 12:28 PM

Dude.....I bet that when this army is done, buildings will explode because they can not take that amount of awesomeness.

It stuns me, its just BEAUTIFUL.

I take my hat of for thisTakes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 12-11-2007 04:12 PM

To add my ten cents worth that is magnificent! You simply have to get the troops painted to use it now!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - bighatsandsmallboots - 12-15-2007 01:28 PM

this is so amazing, I feel like going back to my room and burn my own shabby conversions and all my clothes and become a monk dedicated to Ishkurism...and then camp outside your house... maybe build a small shrine there...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-15-2007 04:20 PM

ROFL Wink
I shall already be content if you follow the sacred path of the 'Big Hat', my young apostle.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 12-15-2007 04:28 PM

lol im still trying to make some big hats, but i think that there a little too big?

Will you make a whole army pic?

Ishkurism ,more like cinderhatism, but ill join this religion shuch a wonderfull religion.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-16-2007 06:54 AM

Yes I think as soon as the last 4 wolf riders have been finished. The unit looks a bit.. incomplete still.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - bighatsandsmallboots - 12-16-2007 07:01 AM

How on earth did you make those hats? and the noses? and the teeth? I must own them.
A tutorial like the one about making masks out of the BFSP dwarfs would be awesomeness.

pwetty pweeeesss....?  Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 12-16-2007 12:48 PM

i know you dont take criticism much, but its indeed constructive, why pink beard?

btw how those immortal sculpts comming along?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - WarplockMonkey - 12-16-2007 01:17 PM

I think you will be pleasantly suprised to see it is infact ginger gil^[/align]

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-16-2007 01:58 PM

Aye.. it's a red beard that has grown whiteish with age. It might not have really turned out the way I planned it, but it's still a lot better visually than a black beard of a black armoured Lord on black Taurus. Wink

@bighatsandsmallboots. Take a look at the pictures here. It's pretty self-explanatory. I also described these thing in the first few posts of this thread. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - bighatsandsmallboots - 12-17-2007 03:45 AM

Oh....I need to be a bit more perceptive. thanks. oh and thanks for the link to you site, give me a reason to brush up on my german(and god knows it could need itCheers!)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - hal - 12-17-2007 02:01 PM

Absolutely excellent, it's kinda evil and scary.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 12-19-2007 09:05 PM

your army is exactly how i would see 7th ed chaos dwarfs, you could make a bomb on ebay,

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - ashur - 12-19-2007 09:56 PM

With no intention of disminishing all the good work we see in this site, I think you have the best army Ive ever seen. I dont think it could get any better than this. The quality of the conversions, the sculpting, the painting, the updated big hat style, and that incredible overseer. How did you sculpt that scarred face!!!

Il definatly collect those kind of CD.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Goopdrada - 01-25-2008 08:05 AM

i love the lava

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 01-27-2008 01:17 PM

amzing lord on Taurus. As always your work is a insperation for us all. Keep it up Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 02-03-2008 12:57 PM

How the HE@@ did I miss those concept sketches? Those are friggin amazing Ishkur is the man bar none!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 02-06-2008 07:35 PM

Nice job! I just have one question though- where did you get the noses? Your website says from Gnoblars, but I've only been able to figure out which head one of the noses comes from.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Arlon - 02-06-2008 10:59 PM

i actually cried when i saw the taurus

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-07-2008 03:58 PM

@catbarf: I cut off quite a few Gnoblar noses, from either the regiment sprues or the "accessory" gnoblars from the Ogre Bulls / Ironguts regiments. I really can't tell anymore which ones exactly.

@Arlon: not because the colours hurt your eyes, I hope? Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 02-07-2008 04:17 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
@catbarf: I cut off quite a few Gnoblar noses, from either the regiment sprues or the "accessory" gnoblars from the Ogre Bulls / Ironguts regiments. I really can't tell anymore which ones exactly.

Did you shave them down, or just cut them off the heads and use them as-is?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 02-07-2008 04:27 PM

wow love the taurus. the limited pallete really brings it to life.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Arlon - 02-08-2008 02:51 AM

no i cried because it is so amazing

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-08-2008 07:42 AM

@catbarf: I cut them off and stuck them onto the dwarf faces that I used as basis for the CD warrior torso sculpt.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 02-08-2008 04:35 PM

Yes, yes, but I mean did you modify them before attaching them to the CDs? Did you shave them down, or cut off the sides, or make them flatter, or anything like that? Or was it just cut off -> glue on?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-08-2008 05:18 PM

Well yes I most probably scratched off some material on the sides here and there. But of what importance is that? Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 02-08-2008 07:00 PM

Quite a bit, when I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out which Gnoblar heads will actually go on the Dwarf bodies Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - iantee1989 - 02-09-2008 07:10 AM

Ishkur - yours Taurus is just perfect! It is best Taurus I have ever seen. Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Pfreck - 02-09-2008 03:39 PM

This seriously is great stuff! I really like the sculpting so far, the Taurus is amazing!

So, what's next on the skedgual? Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 02-09-2008 07:48 PM

One last question- where did you get all the tiny skulls?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-10-2008 06:23 AM

Wherever I could get them from... Chaos Marine bolters, sword hilts, Terminator shields, that kind of stuff. With a bits box as big as mine, there is always something useful to be found somewhere. ^^

@Pfreck: the second bolt thrower is currently in the works. I had to speed up my work on it as I want to use it in a 2000 points battle today. Gonna be painted in the next days, hopefully.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 02-10-2008 08:56 AM

Then stop gabbing about it here and get cracking on it <cracks whip at Ishkur> were dying here!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - oghm20 - 02-12-2008 10:55 PM

Fantastic stuff. Love them hats Happy Alot. That taurus too Shock

Cheers!
-Dancehat

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - bow_for_hashut - 02-20-2008 03:25 PM

Do you have any new models in the work great lord Cinderhat? please finish something soon so that we don't have to commit mass suecide...Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - azhagmorglum - 03-26-2008 06:23 PM

You work is truly amazing and very inspirationnal. You have a lot of talent.
I'm new to this forum, but so far your army is among the best ones, if not the best one.

Keep up the good work !

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 04-08-2008 06:02 PM

Okay, 4th place in Golden Hat V is more than an honorable result as I really never hoped I'd make a medal with this one, after having seen the gorgeous other entries. ^^

What I did was trying to create something that is anywhere between the Immortals and the regular CD warriors. While I'm happy with the standard and the face mask, the metal is a bit too shiny and there is not a lot of interesting stuff to be found on the armour. But the really good thing about this model is that it inspired me to a new design for a special unit:

Now these guys would come with a mixture of scale mail and plate, maybe some sort of oversized scimitar or glaive, and the ornamental shoulder guards with the symbolic oversized horns on them. Compared to the drawing they might need to be a bit more stunty to be proper Chaos Dwarfs. As of yet I call them the "High Thaumaturge's Royal Guard" - no idea who he is or what they do, but I kinda like the ring of it! Happy

Meanwhile, work on the bull centaurs is progressing v e r y slowly.. I am still struggling with sculpting the weapons and hands. But the bull body, torso and heads are ready cast for 5 pieces!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 04-08-2008 06:50 PM

WOW i think a unit of those guys would look well cool.True immortals with platemail and beard gaurds would they all have masks tooRespect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 04-08-2008 07:59 PM

reminds me a lot of the immortals from 300 i dwarf form and wearing armour. a whole unit would be great, not sure what you would count them as. possibly black orcs?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 04-09-2008 05:14 AM

WOW! Ishkur - can't hardly wait to see that piece of art work brought to life (or to a live model) Happy

Once again a resin muliti part cast I guess Happy - btw: Great tutorials Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-02-2008 02:55 AM

Okay guys I have been thrown out of track a bit as my girlfriend broke up with me this week - after four years and without a really good reason, IMO. So at the moment I can't get much done... but I hope I will be able to resume work within the next week or so. A man has got to keep himself occupied, right!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 05-02-2008 05:06 AM

I am sorry to hear that Ishkur ,I am sure all  here wish you the best in finding a beautiful women who appreciates your many talentsRespect to the Hat!

Its always a surprise when we part with a partner we have known for a while as it is a pleasure when we begin a new relationship

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 05-03-2008 05:16 AM

Sorry to hear it and sorry to hear she had no proper reason. take as much time as necessary. I think we can just about hold ourselves for such a reason Wink You never know, perhaps it'll work out better. if she couldn;t give you a proper reason, she wasn;t the right one (not that that will help, mind. I should shut up Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 05-03-2008 05:30 AM

sorry *kera gives Ishkur a big hug* sweety take a break from everything clear your head then go on... There is never a good reason when you break up some one always get hurt.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 05-11-2008 03:52 PM

wait before you go live your life, could you please take a picture of your whole army, i think you agreed that you were going to!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - asheira - 05-11-2008 08:44 PM

@ishkur
   i'm sorry dude, it sucks to get dumped, even if there is a good reason

@ KoA
   insensitive much

@ishkur ....again
    do what ever you need to do to get your thoughts in order
        when i'm upset, i work on music videos, or my army to get my mind moff my problems
    you should fine what it is you should do when your upset, if you haven't already

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-12-2008 06:18 AM

I'm not upset any more. Having family and friends helps a lot and I have a few really good friends who were there for me when I was totally down. Now I am more in the phase where I need to get over her. It will obviously take quite a while until I am ready for a new relationship, but I'm convinced there will be one.

At the moment I'm more kinda disappointed about the Daemons Armybook which I was looking forward to for quite some time. There really seems to be no way to build a functioning army of daemons from only one of the Great Four. At least I can't really figure out how to make a cohesive looking daemon army.

Next to that I am always doing some draft sketches here and there for my neverending Imperial Guard army. Having seen that the bull centaurs could be done helped in my endeavors to build a whole army of my own miniatures, that is, every infantry model (maybe even cavalry) would be my own design. It's something I like to spend time thinking about but so far I have been unable to even decide on a trooper design. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 05-12-2008 10:54 AM

That would be awesome!  A whole custom IG army.  Maybe choose one of the cool designs they had in the old codex?  hehe.

As for daemons, are you forgetting the Counts As rule?
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2564

Simply have Flesh Hounds of Nurgle, like Grim, or other similar things.  As long is it is quite obvious what each unit is, this is what I would do. Happy

As for the split, if you aim to get over her, why not busy yourself by making a Gaoler! Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Sojourn - 05-12-2008 10:55 AM

it's always great to have a support system of friends and family... and CDO! I will assume the role of momma bear and provide the ear/shoulder should you decide to take the anti-guy route and want to talk about it.

keep busy as you said and keep your mind off of it. the more you brood, the worse it is.

and not to join the ranks of KoA and be insensitive and all (although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant it in jest to lift your spirits) but women are complex and often we know "what" has to be done, but can't verbalize "why" it needs to be done... it's a major difference between men and women. our emotions rule us while logic is more likely to rule you. =\

*hug* you'll pull through just fine, I'm sure Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-12-2008 01:34 PM

@Xander: that's awesome! Shock How could I miss that thread! Now this opens a totally new take on the daemon army list... hehe

My trooper designs tend to alternate between "very retro" and "very futuristic" - I have a couple of favourites, but none of them really satisfies me.

@Sojourn: aw that's sweet, Momma Bear! ^^ Now I don't feel the urge to talk in great length about it. Not here anyway where I would keep so many fledgling tyrants from expanding their slave-hunting armies! Big Grin And indeed occupying myself here and with my hobby projects helps a lot. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 05-12-2008 01:59 PM

Ahem.... Happy any artwork you want to do for the upcoming webzines as always appreciated... I'm not above paying ermh, "bribing with slaves" either...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Steven - 05-12-2008 02:59 PM

Ishkur,

Sorry to hear about the GF, but it's great that you have a lot of family and friends supporting you when you need it.  I hope everything is all better now!

I'm pretty late in the response to a post but I'm still pretty new here.  I have to say that Great Taurus you have is probably one of the most amazing models I have ever seen.  It's utterly and completely stunning.  I hope some day to have 1/10th the skill you have.  Holy (or Unholy as the case may be) cow!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 05-14-2008 07:22 PM

Ishkur, why not have a futuristic retro look then?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-15-2008 06:27 AM

That's what I'm aiming for.. but it seems that to find such a design which will satisfy me is an ideal that cannot be reached. Why did GW have to release the Vostroyans anyway? They got all the cool stuff anyone could ever want to have on his retro-futurstic soldiers! Sad

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Obsidian - 05-15-2008 12:15 PM

Agree on that! I did cut off most of the fur hats though and replaced them with Bretonnian helmets. I didn't like the fur hats much...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-15-2008 12:56 PM

Can you PM me a picture of that? I'd love to know what it looks like, but it's a bit OT in this thread ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Obsidian - 05-15-2008 01:02 PM

Okay, will do soon as I get them back from the GW store where they are on display.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Vasquez - 05-26-2008 04:27 PM

Really great paint job. I like the way the lava lights up the armor! Nice conversions too, but just had to comment the paint job... excellent Happy Keep 'em coming Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 05-29-2008 04:44 AM

Sojourn Wrote:
it's always great to have a support system of friends and family... and CDO! I will assume the role of momma bear and provide the ear/shoulder should you decide to take the anti-guy route and want to talk about it...

...women are complex and often we know "what" has to be done, but can't verbalize "why" it needs to be done... it's a major difference between men and women. our emotions rule us while logic is more likely to rule you. =\

sshhh Sojourn don't betray the sisterhood Wink. You're giving Xander and the rest of us ammo, especially if we're told we're the ones who think clearly and express ourselves in plain English/German.

@ Ishkur - I'm really sorry to hear that, I had a similar experience with a girlfriend of three years recently. Only advice I can give is to get on with your life and go out and enjoy yourself. I tend to find you spend a lot less time thinking about it when you're having fun than if your moping around the house feeling sad. Ring up your buddies and hit the town. Failing that, I can always bbok a flight to Germany. You'll be back on your feet in no time Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-29-2008 02:10 PM

AGPO Wrote:
I can always bbok a flight to Germany. You'll be back on your feet in no time Cheers!

Hehe, thanks mate! Cheers! A flight to Germany might not help me, though, with me being from Austria and all. But.. Munich is not too far away from where I live, so we could all meet at the Oktoberfest in a few months and enjoy pints of beer in best dwarfish manner and cheer our lonely selves up a bit. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Fridericus_Rex - 05-29-2008 02:46 PM

Oh why this year? I am not 16 so i can't drink some Bier( 'beer' ) and the entranceway into the Bierzelt ('beer tent')  isn't permitted for me.Unsure. But well, maybe we can meet us in the city centre Respect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 05-29-2008 03:55 PM

But cider is the real drink.  Even further off topic. At least the Vostroyans are models Big Grin (When ya first said the Vostroyans, I thought ya meant the blue things for the Tau Big Grin ) Well, think of which "retro" era you'd like to sci-fi up and I'll give ya a hand, if I can. Any updates on the CDs? (Wow, I may have linked it back to on-topic. Doubt it Big Grin )

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-29-2008 04:04 PM

I have fought a few battles with my Dawi-Zharr recently and I am quite happy to find they have a solid rate of success. Happy Haven't painted anything recently, tho. I am currently trying my hand at speed-painting (i.e. dipping) the handful of 40k Tyranids I have.. to complement my BFG Tyranid fleet.

Oi, did that move the discussion off-topic again? Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 05-29-2008 06:04 PM

Glad to hear they're having a large amount of success! Sounds good about the speed painting and yes it did Big Grin I knew I had reason to doubt the on-topicness, he he he...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Borka - 07-08-2008 08:18 AM

OH my Hashut!!!

I've been lurking these forums for a while, but I just felt I had to post here. I've just read through this thread in one go. Your stuff is amazing. I basically have to agree with everything good everyone so far has said. The Taurus is pure brilliance! Takes Hat off

I was thinking of making an CD army like a year ago and cruised around ebay and realized it was to expensive for me (being a student, kids...). But like half a year ago I somehow got to see Xanders BfSP CD and thought hey I could probably do that, but I want Big Hats. Now seeing your work I got very motivated to make a try of my own (it wont be anywhere near your standards though). Your stuff is such an inspiration.

cheers

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - adriaan - 07-11-2008 01:21 PM

Wow, what more can i say, it's amazing stuff.
Make more of these!
a3aan

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - catbarf - 07-24-2008 10:51 PM

Ishkur, did you make the beards on the Warriors from a single mass of GS, or did you use Xander's method of rolling individual strands?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 07-24-2008 11:04 PM

Bull Centaurs!!!! Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 07-31-2008 04:09 PM

[rant]Come on we need a update now!! Leave the nids, and finish painting your bull-centaurs.[/rant]

(Oh and we need a Full-army shot too, and your paint brush covered in paintHappy)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kyte - 07-31-2008 04:31 PM

I'm sorry to say so, but I'm afraid something happened to Ishkur! He was last seen online in march! Does anyone have contact with him? Haven't seen him on MSN lately either

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Knight Of Awsome - 07-31-2008 04:36 PM

Kyte Wrote:
I'm sorry to say so, but I'm afraid something happened to Ishkur! He was last seen online in march! Does anyone have contact with him? Haven't seen him on MSN lately either

That thing is a lie! He voted in Wilmarks poll today look: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/polls.php?action=showresults&pid=94

I think he has been doing some other things lately, what he is doing i don't know?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-01-2008 04:57 PM

I'm a bit puzzled about Kytes remark, seeing that I participated in the first 6hrs painting marathon of the forum and posted my last message in this very thread in May.

I agree though that at least my last chaos-dwarf related picture was uploaded ages ago. Wink

Sorry guys as soon as these cursed Genestealers and Khorne Berzerkers let me go I'll do some more CD stuff. I promise! May Hashut eat one of my slaves if I don't. Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur\'s Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 08-02-2008 08:53 AM

need some more pic ..Ishkur

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hashut's Blessing - 08-02-2008 09:32 AM

Can I eat the slave for him? Get them finished quickly and to a simple standard so you can get back to your CDs sooner! Tongue

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - snyggejygge - 08-03-2008 08:46 AM

Ishkur you have some great looking models here, I´ve been looking through 18 pages & I am really amazed at your work, great conversions & even better painting!
Your source lightning is really well done, any tips?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-03-2008 12:51 PM

Thanks, glad you like it snyggejygge. The source lightning is something I had never done before starting this army, so it was pretty much trial and error and a good portion of sheer luck that it worked fine in the end. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Vredesbyrd - 08-03-2008 04:32 PM

Just finished going through the whole eighteen pages, and there's some inspirational stuff in here, and I'll almost definately be using some of your ideas in my CD force if you don't object...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 10-29-2008 10:25 AM

So how is it going Iskhur? Need more insperation and you are my number one source for those things. We hat lovers are to few Respect to the Hat!

Btw, you have not been thinking more about doing some off work with those dwarfs and sell bitz?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 10-29-2008 03:05 PM

No progress I am afraid. I started work on two blunderbuss unit fillers to be able to split my one current regiment into two of them, but haven't got to finish these yet.

I'm currently quite busy working on my 40k Chaos Space Marines army which is supposed to end up somewhere around 4000 points by Christmas. And then there is this Chaos Warriors spearhead waiting in my living room to be assembled and painted up asap. Happy

At least I stick to the evil guys, which I am sure pleases Hashut.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 10-30-2008 08:11 AM

Damn, I can understand why you are busy. Some times its good also to take abreak. Myself is doing a chaos daemon army to 40k too.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-17-2009 07:35 AM

Well, here it is. The Shatterer Beast, my GH8 entry. Takes Hat off

I built the thing from scratch using loads of fimo, plaster, styrene strips, green stuff and a few bitz from 40k. I made all the parts for one leg, then reproduced it in resin. The daemon breath rifle fusileers are also 100% homemade. For the other crewmen I built the bodies myself and finished them with a few spare bitz.

Since I will probably want to use this beastie as a mammoth-proxy in my WoC army (so that it will at least see *some* action one day), I'll add some more crewmen - maybe blunderbussers - later, to have a full 10-man unit on the platform. The mortar is just for decoration and because I felt the whole thing would seem to have too little firepower with only the riflemen on board. Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ubertechie - 03-17-2009 07:40 AM

It is a fantastic model and thanks for sharing with us some insight into how it was made. I particularly like the beaten metal effect and was wondering how you had achieved it ?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-17-2009 07:51 AM

Ubertechie Wrote:
It is a fantastic model and thanks for sharing with us some insight into how it was made. I particularly like the beaten metal effect and was wondering how you had achieved it ?

All those dents have been "hammered" into the soft fimo before baking with a pen's round end. It's the same technique that I used on my earthshaker - of course on a much larger surface! ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ubertechie - 03-17-2009 07:59 AM

Ishkur - thanks again for sharing - the metal I think personally is what makes the model - to many times you see large pieces like this with big areas of no detail which is plain unrealistic  - the effect you have used makes the model more realistic(?) and gives it a sense of purpose and age.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - demi_morgana - 03-17-2009 08:06 AM

I've been waiting for wip-shots of this piece since I saw the beast - masterpiece!!! Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Border Reiver - 03-17-2009 10:52 AM

Wow, that really is all I have to say here.  Wow.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Swissdictator - 03-17-2009 11:23 AM

That is a really cool piece of work! It's intimidating to say the least (in more then one sense).

Does one of the crew have Empire arms??? Or is it just my eyes?

Very nice to see some close ups, and it becomes quickly apparent how much work went into this... not that there was ever doubt... just the question of how much.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - tjub - 03-17-2009 11:31 AM

Awesome! Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 03-17-2009 01:00 PM

OH YEAAAH ,that sure is an awe inspiring piece Takes Hat off
I think Forgeworld would be left eating their hats ,the painting really makes it something special many thanks for a look at the WIP .The doombull Kolossus of Hashut Respect to the Hat!

Hashut is pleased go forth and trample all before you!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - orcs of fire - 03-17-2009 01:04 PM

wowShock that is really good and deserved to win
Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Arashi - 03-17-2009 02:07 PM

You sure deserves that gold, well done! And I who thought it was based on some kind of toy or something... Tongue

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-17-2009 03:11 PM

Aw Arashi how could you..! Big Grin

@Swiss: the steersman has a dwarf arm and a Chaos Space Marine arm, once I had finished the fusileer I knew I'm no good at sculpting hands. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 03-17-2009 03:26 PM

Marvellously done.  I gave up on winning when I saw your entry. Wink

I thought that *I* had put a lot of work in to mine! Sheesh!

WIPs of mine coming soon. Happy

Oh, and Ishkur... Painted Bull Centaurs? Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-17-2009 04:56 PM

Xander Wrote:
Oh, and Ishkur... Painted Bull Centaurs? Big Grin

Ahk. Rolleyes If only they would ever do something useful on the battlefield, I'd me more inclined to paint them! Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 03-17-2009 05:12 PM

that is so frinking cool !! now we must see it on the battle field !!!
Great job !!* high five*

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 03-17-2009 05:15 PM

Once again congrats, Ishkur. It's a remarkable entry - and as alway - so well preformed Takes Hat off

And I like your new style for dwarfs a lot.

Could we see some close up's of the painted Blunderbusses as well? - you can't really see them in the overall pictures - and I find them to be some of your best sculpts ever, so please ..?? - would you please do that for meBig Grin

And:

Xander Wrote:
I gave up on winning when I saw your entry. Wink

Think we all did that Wink I see a new site logo comming - your tri-barral cannon next to this beast Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hazkar - 03-17-2009 05:15 PM

woooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats a great giant mini
nice wip pics,cool to see how you made it
i love it

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-17-2009 06:34 PM

clam Wrote:
And I like your new style for dwarfs a lot.

Could we see some close up's of the painted Blunderbusses as well? - you can't really see them in the overall pictures - and I find them to be some of your best sculpts ever, so please ..?? - would you please do that for meBig Grin

Of course I do that for you! Takes Hat off

Well I'm not turning my back on big hats. Respect to the Hat! I just wanted to keep the warmachine crews with masks/helmets as per the Earthshaker, so I opted for that design.

The fusileers wield some kind of heavy shooty weapon, I call them the Daemon Breath Rifles. Eventually all the shooting attacks from that platform will be handled like throwing axes (if I use it as a Chaos Mammoth) so it's not that important, but I liked the idea to give them something more arcane than a blunderbuss. ^^

I'm not really satisfied with the helmets of the fusileers, something a bit more scary would have been cool, but I'm not good at that - yet.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 03-18-2009 09:07 AM

As per the Hellcannon, I think you mean to say. Respect to the Hat!

Those crewman are really cool! Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 03-18-2009 05:00 PM

Thx for close ups, Ishkur Takes Hat off

I know you are not giving up the hats Happy - but it's still nice to see you try out masks for a change - also for regular troopers Wink Those fusileers are amazing - I really love there daemonic rifles - sadly they would never rank up in a unit of BBs. A the 2 crewmen áre also very impressive.

Xander Wrote:
As per the Hellcannon, I think you mean to say. Respect to the Hat!

No, I actually think he means Earthshaker - his own Earthshaker of course Wink

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=227&pid=6570#pid6570

But it the same s*** really Big Grin - as Ishkur has mainly used the the Hell Cannon Crews for his own take on ES crews.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 03-18-2009 05:38 PM

great job!!!!!!!!! i like the armor and beards! but i really like the guy with the bullet

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Borka - 03-22-2009 09:48 AM

Fantastic piece man you got my vote (well one of them I guess Happy). I'm reasured now that you've said that your not going to abandon the bighats you had me worried there for a while Wink

You were well worth the first place in GH8!

cheers

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Maul - 03-24-2009 10:22 AM

That is really a very sweet model.
Kolossus of Hashut indeed.

I will give one minor critique that we could not see in earlier pictures; I think it might benefit from a vestigial tail, maybe with a mace at the end of it.

Anyway, I love the thing and the gunner sculpts are very impressive.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-24-2009 02:43 PM

Maul Wrote:
I will give one minor critique that we could not see in earlier pictures; I think it might benefit from a vestigial tail, maybe with a mace at the end of it.

I toyed with that idea, but with no ability to actually move that mace in a useful way, I felt the Chaosdwarfs would not use up material for that. There is a tail sculpted onto the shatterer beast's butt, albeit it looks more like a ridge, I admit. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - wallacer - 03-24-2009 03:38 PM

Thanks for posting the info on how you made it.  It was most interesting.
You certainly worked hard for that Gold medal...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Revlid - 03-25-2009 04:29 AM

A fantastic (if slightly precarious-looking) model! Well done in putting the rest of us to shame! I must ask how you did the "beaten metal" effect on the "skin" of the beast.

An acheivement only improved by its total lack of hats - I recommend you follow this trend in future. Respect to the Mask!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-25-2009 06:55 PM

Revlid Wrote:
A fantastic (if slightly precarious-looking) model! Well done in putting the rest of us to shame! I must ask how you did the "beaten metal" effect on the "skin" of the beast.

I made this by "hammering" little dents into the soft fimo before baking it in the oven. I found the blunt, rounded end of a large brush or pen works fine. It's pretty much the same technique I used on the metal for my Earthshaker and the Taurus.

Quote:
An acheivement only improved by its total lack of hats - I recommend you follow this trend in future. Respect to the Mask!

No way. Hats rule! Tongue

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Braki Flamebeard - 04-06-2009 06:56 AM

Iv'e been looking at this army for a long time now, and I am stunned by it! I love your take on the big hats and, while I thought big hats looked a bit too silly before, you gave me new faith and inspired me to make my own with big hats. Thank you Ishkur, I only hope my army will ever look half as good as yours Respect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 04-06-2009 11:44 AM

Braki Flamebeard Wrote:
while I thought big hats looked a bit too silly before, you gave me new faith and inspired me to make my own with big hats

Well that's something I can be proud of! ^^ Yet another convert joins the big hat cause! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 04-10-2009 05:05 AM

Now another join (( Ishkur cult of big hat !!!))

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 07-27-2009 09:05 AM

As I have been away i have missed your last updates but I must say that I really like what you are doing. As usual, I´m a big fan Happy Keep it up.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - mattbird - 08-11-2009 10:32 PM

Ishkur's Immortals, in pen and ink. Happy

[/align]

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 08-12-2009 06:58 AM

Nice drawings - who wouldn't like to have their work immortalised like that Wink

Great job, Mattbird - for the GT list, I guess?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - mattbird - 08-12-2009 09:31 AM

yup! I needed inspiration for the look, and Ishkur's conversion proved just the trick.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-13-2009 05:15 PM

WHOA!

How immensely cool! Respect to the Hat! Have 10 slaves, mattbird, with thanks.

And now, something sad:

My Shatterer Beast was ingloriously slain by a book (sic!) a few days ago.

After my first try with putting weathering effects on an Imperial Chimera APC, I put my "Imperial Armour Masterclass" back on it's regular place behind the model where it rested very stable for months; only this time that fat book decided to topple over sometime during my day at work and dropped with all its might right down on my Chaos Dwarf warmachine. One of the banners was torn out and bent, the howdah has been ripped down and a small piece of the battlement has broken.

And the worst of it all: this desaster struck before my Shatterer Beast has even seen a single round of combat!

*sob* Sad

Whatever next - will my Taurus be crushed by "The Horus Heresy - Collected Visions"? Will my yet unpainted Angg'rath be shattered by Giger's Necronomicon? I have to store my models on the bookshelf after all, there is no other room for them..!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 08-13-2009 06:20 PM

need more stuff  to post Ishkur!! hurry

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 08-13-2009 10:04 PM

Noooooooo!  I guess my entry gets promoted to Golden Hat status! :O

Man, that sucks.  Get well soon, Mr. Beast.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kera foehunter - 08-14-2009 06:08 AM

The crowd starts to gather in hope of new stuff

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - astragoth - 08-27-2009 01:59 PM

that was a very good idea to make good chaos dwarfs fast, and i like the painting to! what is the standard made of?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Bassman - 08-27-2009 02:03 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
WHOA!

How immensely cool! Respect to the Hat! Have 10 slaves, mattbird, with thanks.

And now, something sad:

My Shatterer Beast was ingloriously slain by a book (sic!) a few days ago.

After my first try with putting weathering effects on an Imperial Chimera APC, I put my "Imperial Armour Masterclass" back on it's regular place behind the model where it rested very stable for months; only this time that fat book decided to topple over sometime during my day at work and dropped with all its might right down on my Chaos Dwarf warmachine. One of the banners was torn out and bent, the howdah has been ripped down and a small piece of the battlement has broken.

And the worst of it all: this desaster struck before my Shatterer Beast has even seen a single round of combat!

*sob* Sad

Whatever next - will my Taurus be crushed by "The Horus Heresy - Collected Visions"? Will my yet unpainted Angg'rath be shattered by Giger's Necronomicon? I have to store my models on the bookshelf after all, there is no other room for them..!

This is Hashut's punishment because you're wasting time painting chaos scum and imperial-damn-it-stuff instead of the mighty Chaos Dwarfs! Angry
Go back to your duty of a servant of Hashut and this won't happen again....

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-27-2009 03:50 PM

It may be, but then why would Hashut smash the holiest and greatest icon I have built to honour his greatness? Sad

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - GRNDL - 08-27-2009 10:07 PM

It wasn't Hashut, but a close second.

Remember those ninjas, Ishkur?

/twirls beard
Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 08-28-2009 01:15 PM

*shakes fist in GRNDLs direction*

Curse thee - I shall have my revenge soon!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Bassman - 08-28-2009 03:51 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
It may be, but then why would Hashut smash the holiest and greatest icon I have built to honour his greatness? Sad

You know the history of Babel tower? No icon is big enough to match a complete army of Dhawi Zharr... What are saying my lord Hashut? I've not even complete mine after two years.... oooooh, have mercy my looooooooor...... Shock

OK, I'm kidding. I'm sorry about your not-so-miniature. I'm sure you'll be able to fix! I'm longing to see it and your army back Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Sojourn - 08-28-2009 03:59 PM

I honestly love how colourful it was prior to painting (it was painted well and all) but, it's nice to see bright colours on this site! Happy

that was a phenomenal piece for sure. good work Ish

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Patrikson - 08-28-2009 09:26 PM

Very very nice army mate Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - torn - 08-30-2009 06:02 PM

That shatterer beast is amazing, so much work has gone into it! i was expecting a conversion of some form of large toy cow lol. I also agree with you about the fusiliers helmet, it seems a little plain compared to the greatness of the beast.

i havent read this thread in probably a year and just had to take a peek at what was going on Wink as always ishkur one of the best chaos dwarf modellers and painters i have seen. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - AGPO - 08-30-2009 06:19 PM

Damn, that's gutting about the shatterbeast, very disappointing indeed

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Anno - 09-22-2009 03:24 AM

I read the whole thread... I have no words.
I like so indescribable sculpture and all your creation. Great technique and taste. Painting also gives every your creation a personal touch... I'm your fan!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-22-2009 06:44 AM

Hey thanks mate. Cheers! Glad you like my work so far.
I'm sure this took you a while.. the thread is very long by now! Shock

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Borador - 09-23-2009 03:26 PM

Dude I just read every page of your thread and all I can say is YOU are Hashut, or at least really really favored by him, AMAZING skills!!!
I'm gonna empty the slavepen Tongue Wink
This stuff is sooooo kickass, it cannot be discribed.

Edit: The slave pen was meagerly filled though every slave is another one, use them wisely and give 'm a lil' smack once in a while for me Happy
Oh and send my 45 former unpaid employees my kindest regards ;D

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-23-2009 05:08 PM

Ha it seems those slaves have just been treated too nice.. get working ya maggots or the overlord will have yer hides! Thanks Borador, these will have to help me now with my work on my GHX entry! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Stubbs - 09-25-2009 06:00 AM

Meh the shatterer is so nice for some reason I don't have much hope anymore for GhX Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-11-2009 03:57 PM

Ok so here is what I though of for GHX. Originally I wanted to build a unit of iron golems (the usual, you know - sculpt one of them and then replicate them in resin, do variable poses and weapons, maybe different heads), I also did a lot of concepts and started a few sculpts but somehow it never worked out well. Eventually it would have been somewhat inspired by these machines from Thief2.

When - about ten days before of GHX - I finally found somewhat panicking that it just would not work out I decided to instead try my hand on sculpting a large model of an archetypical chaos dwarf.

A core of crumpled aluminum foil was coated with a layer of Fimo and then baked in the oven, I then sculpted the rest of the model around this during the next few days. I found sculpting goes very quickly while watching a few seasons of Lost on DVD *gg*

The final paint job was somewhat an experiment, I didn't want to go with the same red/black/iron scheme that I usually use.

The miniature was not meant to be part of my army but instead rather just a piece of decoration, so no this is not a giant Wink I find the idea rather funny though, so maybe I'll use it as a giant just to annoy the other guys in my gaming group who have no fond memories of their armies facing my Chaos Dwarfs Earthshaker and blunderbussers. Takes Hat off

My compliments again to Bassmann and m3lvin and kudos to all who entered into GHX. This was an awesome contest again. Takes Hat off

Cheers! Ish

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - m3lvin - 11-11-2009 04:19 PM

wow, really interesting seing the greens on this one.
I like this miniature very much.
The fact that you only spent 10 days on it amazes me even more. Shock
Is he placed on a 40mm or 50mm base?
a size comparison with a normal sized bighat would be awesome!

being part of competitions with entries like this is super!
you've truly been a worthy opponent, this model is really outsanding.
good game,

Takes Hat off

/melv

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - nitroglysarine - 11-11-2009 04:25 PM

he is a stunner, he was my no1 choice with bh10 if i recall correctly.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-11-2009 06:52 PM

Thanks nitro. Happy Glad you like it! It's indeed a 50mm base, the one that was left when I converted my Khorne Lord on Juggernaut to a 40k General. Happy I shall make a picture to show the size, but the light is no good anymore here so I'll try to do it tomorrow.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Grimstonefire - 11-11-2009 07:13 PM

Nice to see the greens.

I see I'm not the only one watching past seasons of Lost in anticipation of the final one. Wink

How far did you get with the golems?  Why did this guy get a curved axe?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 11-12-2009 08:07 AM

I think a photo next to a regular scale mini will help those that dont know this is large scale mini.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Kawazu - 11-12-2009 10:39 AM

Pure awesomeness. This is worth of a demon, sir.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Loki - 11-12-2009 10:51 AM

Amazing work Ishkur he just looks awesome, he was in my top 3 for golden hat X, cant wait to see a scale model next to him so we can see how big he really is Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-12-2009 03:07 PM

@Grims: I didn't get past an initial rough build for the iron golem. But it turned too much into a robot for my taste; the line between a mechanical automaton and a magical creature is a fine one to tread! Wink

Why the curved axe, well I guess just because I felt it looked kinda stylish and special. The first axe shaft was straight but it looked booooring.

Man I'm so hooked on Lost, I have gone trough seasons 4 and 5 like three or four times now...! Wink

New picture for size comparison:

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Canix - 11-12-2009 04:32 PM

Oh yeah ,that is one beautiful bighat Respect to the Hat! I love the idea of using him as a DOW giant ,the look on your opponents faces would be priceless.Lovely stuff as always Ish Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 11-12-2009 05:14 PM

Seriously cool. Definately a canidate for "stand in" for giant duty.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - tjub - 11-13-2009 01:11 AM

Both sculpting and painting is ace, a really impressive creation!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Bassman - 11-13-2009 10:11 AM

I told ya, I'd like to chat a little bit about your marvellous not-so-dwarfish.... dwarf Shock

It's amazing and, obviously, one of my fav in GHX.

I approve its use as a giant, as Canix said watching the face of your opponent would be priceless Tongue

Ups:
axe, I like it bent. Much more interesting than a straight one.
belt, impressive, it looks like a true piece of leather!
boots, a good pair of big boots to kick asses Happy
face and hair... amazing. I love picture from the flank, he has a fierce and furious expression.

Downs (not really downs, just comments from an hopeless hobbist.... Tongue ):

armor, too big shoulder pads and, more important, "soft" scales of the armor. Normally you do not notice such tiny details but with larger sculpts you should be more careful about edges. Some scales really look soft, like made of leather than metal.
puch, could be done better
and dagger, it seems to be melting... like a Dalì painting.... maybe he got too close to a furnace? Tongue

Do not worry you could ignore my criticism, you got a beautiful piece of miniatu..... not-so-miniat.... whatever that cool big boy is! Takes Hat off
Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-13-2009 04:12 PM

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Bassman! Takes Hat off

I should definitely have spent much more time on the scales; the problem was that initially when I made them I planned to cover the whole front side with the beard, but when the belt was finished I felt it had turned out so nicely that I just couldn't bring myself to sculpt a beard over it. So I was stuck with some really bad scales that I could only hope to correct with the paint job to some extent. The pouch and the dagger are OK, IMO.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 11-13-2009 04:26 PM

Another awesome creation made by Ishkur. Truely a Masterpiece Takes Hat off

10 days. Hmm! - That would have taken me 10 months to do - without even getting close to this standard.

Might have to try out 'Lost'  - and see if I has the same effect on me Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Zanko - 11-15-2009 05:50 AM

Just want to mention that this "giant" CD is awesome, amazing ... just brilliant! Takes Hat off

Like all your stuff it´s a kind of a "gold standard" for me!

Go on and delight us with your amazing stuff!

Hashut!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 11-15-2009 06:42 AM

Hehe thx Zanko, I shall! Happy

@Clam: do that! And even if you find it doesn't help, you will still have had great entertainment. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nazhur - 11-16-2009 04:58 AM

As always, awsome model. Great work Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Hrothgar Goldgreed - 11-16-2009 01:27 PM

Heh, you earned yourself a sticky now eh? Well deserved.

Excellent mini there, I'm looking forward to more. (moar, moar, moar!!)

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Breten - 11-19-2009 04:09 AM

That model, and this thread are epic.  Fantastic wor here.  Very inspiring.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - kefas - 11-19-2009 05:32 PM

nice! its one of my favourite models from last GH competition! GREAT!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Warhammerman - 11-19-2009 06:01 PM

That is amazing.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - CheTralfara - 12-16-2009 01:16 AM

The giant dwarf would definitely make a perfect Giant.

Also, Lost is absolutely mindblowing... Definitely the most thought-out and creative show to ever grace the usually unoriginal and uninspired medium of television.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Borador - 12-18-2009 09:16 AM

Sweet model ;D Cool painting ^^
But ehmm.. I remember something about a Bull Centaur sculpt which would be done by you and Anno and his companions making a cast of it?

Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Snotling - 12-18-2009 01:09 PM

I especially like the paintjob. The colour sheme looks warm and nice and the colours are so smooth, it is just... nice to look at the Dwarf ^^. Fantastic work as usual! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - CheTralfara - 01-24-2010 10:30 PM

So is this guy going to be a Giant or any other role in your official army? Or is he just a showpiece for display only?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - dncswlf - 01-24-2010 10:48 PM

Yeah, this guy definitely needs to wreak havoc on the battlefield, don't let him sit on a shelf!  amazing, not more to be said that hasn't already been said... you should take a whole army pic with him in it!

as to Lost: I can not wait until the next season comes out.. so many twists!  really creative show.. and you still aren't sure what is really going on... beautiful!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 01-25-2010 01:49 PM

Hm, Chaos Dwarfs can't take Giants, can they? As sad as it sounds, but intended to have him sit on a shelf and jealously watch my progress with my other armies... ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Bassman - 02-08-2010 01:48 AM

So far as I know Chaos Dwarfs cannot have giants but I think it's ok if you field it in a friendly game. I do not think your opponent refuses... but if he is blind! Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - the_bug - 04-14-2010 03:50 PM

coolTakes Hat offTakes Hat offTakes Hat offTakes Hat offTakes Hat offTakes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - The Stormchild - 05-11-2010 03:19 PM

Fantastic army!
A truly impressive horde for Hashut!
This site has seem real talent on it.
I salute you! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - vulcanologist - 05-29-2010 04:31 AM

wow you have an amazing army as a newbie i just hope that the army im starting can look half as good as yours!!!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Unzul - 06-22-2010 09:12 AM

wow, the army and the models are great, very good job...

only a question: where can I find the resin that you use for the models??

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-22-2010 02:31 PM

There should be plenty of shops on the internet offering that kind of resin. Just google "casting resin" or something. It might also be available in artist supplies shops.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Unzul - 06-22-2010 05:01 PM

ok, thanks

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-11-2010 08:14 AM

Update: Artisans VIII Entry - Floating Darklands Watchtower

Aaaalright, since voting is over and everyone guessed already (I think I need to try a totally different colour range next time! LOL) I am happy to reveal my entry.
The great thing with this one is that I was able to pull the original concept trough practically from day one of the announcement till shortly before the deadline, without a lot of rethinking of the idea or different construction than planned. The only thing I was quite unsure of up to the last week was the design of the roof.. but I'm happy with the final result.

I wanted a round tower on a piece of soil that floats above a pool of lava and is chained down so it won't fly away (dark magic tends to be fickle after all ^^). As a basic size for the tower I used an empty DVD and divided it in 8 segments, I then measured how large one block of stone would need to be.

The most time-consuming part of the whole project was casting the ashlar, something around 40-45 pieces or so, which were needed for the whole thing. I sculpted a slightly rounded block with structured surface and pulled a mould of it. The idea was to have a mean looking dawi'zharr face sculpted on each block, but it looked too weird so I opted to use the face only on every second block and made another mould for the ashlar with the face removed.

I cast the first few pieces in resin but then gave a different material a try - "Marresin", which is a plaster-like material that needs to be mixed with water at a 2:1 ratio and will set within about 10-15 minutes. It's also quite a bit lighter and harder in the end - and ridiculously cheap when compared to resin, at a mere EUR 2.90 / kilogram. It needs a few days to fully dry though, so I cast lots of them on each weekend to stay on schedule.

As it turned out I was not nearly as precise as I thought when I calculated / measured the size of one ashlar. In the end I had to do a lot of gap filling and also cut some of the stones on the upper rows to get a full circle. But that irregular, somewhat aged / weathered look was what I had been aiming for anyway, so it was not a bad thing. Happy

The lava pool was made with several layers of Citadel water effects which as it turned out does not get really hard and I squished quite a few nicely sculpted bubbles when I accidentally got with my fingers into that thing. I used a filler to sculpt the surface of the "foam" landscape - one of the assets of having moved into a new appartment recently was that I had a large amount of DIY stuff lying around.

The uppermost floor and the stone pillars were made using FIMO and for the roof I used an air-drying lightweight modelling clay. The surface structure was made in the same way as the metal on my Shatterer Beast, making dents into the material while still soft with my pen.

The sculpted 'brass' bull's heads that hold the roof were a last-minute addition after I had *finally* figured out how the roof would be shaped. My very last silicone went into the mould for these, then I just had to complete the casts with horns from some chaos bitz and defiler masks. Apart from the door which is an "Advanced Heroquest" piece I used few but essential other GW bitz, like the chaos star and skull, the spikey additions to the top and the pillars and the flame braziers from a friend's corpse cart sprue.

Painting was pretty straightforward, I first painted the lava pool and base, then fixed the tower forever on an IKEA screw, painted the tower with several layers of drybrushing and weathering powders, then added the chains and painted the final details. The roof remains detachable, I want to be able to put some blunderbussers on top after all!

Nuff said, here is the final piece in all its glory. Happy Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Obsidian - 09-11-2010 09:24 AM

Ace work! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Clinkz - 09-11-2010 10:05 AM

stunning job, it really does look fantastic Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Unzul - 09-11-2010 01:20 PM

wow.... fantastic job... really good...

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Anonymouse - 09-11-2010 02:49 PM

That's one sick tower. Kudos! Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - nitroglysarine - 09-11-2010 03:32 PM

love the use of the heroquest door :-D
great creation!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - warh - 09-11-2010 03:38 PM

This is AWESOME!!! shame it did not win the GW competition

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nicodemus - 09-11-2010 04:18 PM

Very nicely done, and well deserved. I'm especially fond of your choice for the roof, as it's a very visible component that heightens the appeal Wink

Great contribution.
~N

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 09-11-2010 04:52 PM

What can I say? Ish is back - big time Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - tjub - 09-11-2010 04:59 PM

O_o    

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - GRNDL - 09-11-2010 05:23 PM

All I'm gonna say: BAH!!

Also, its not the choice of colours that gave you was, Ishkur, but the texture of beaten metal. Very nicely done, and that's what gave it away. Next time you'll have to make a really crappy entry - just quit trying so hard, or make one with your feet. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nicodemus - 09-12-2010 12:24 AM

GRNDL Wrote:
..., or make one with your feet. Happy

LOL   Big Grin   Tongue    

... Awesome

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-12-2010 05:28 AM

I'm sorry, I really can't help it.. I love beaten, rusty metal. Happy
If more people were to use this method to sculpt the surface of their warmachines and stuff, my entries might not be so obvious anymore. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 09-15-2010 01:42 PM

Awesome job! Well deserved victory.

Your medal count is getting even higher! You know seem to have 12!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-15-2010 03:39 PM

Hell yes, and it looks great! I really want to test how many medals can actually fit under one profile. ^^ There is still a lot of room for a silver GH and a silver and bronze Artisan's... Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - GRNDL - 09-15-2010 11:08 PM

With a head that size, my snipers shall not have a problem ensuring he enters no other competition...

/steeples fingers
"Excellent. MuaahahahhahahhhhhhHAHHAHHHHHAAA!!!"

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Bassman - 09-16-2010 04:46 AM

Wow, amazing job again. Well deserved victory.

I'm surprised you casted the stone/metal blocks.... I do usually use insulation foam, it's light and cost nothing.
Are you going to mass produce them? I'm pretty sure you would find people than would buy your resin scenery Happy

I'm not really fond on the "pagoda" roof. Do not think Chaos Dwarfs are so fancy to use "pagoda" style roofs.... but each it's own.

The floating tower idea is pure genius. It really depicts our attiutude towards magic: we push the bar over the limit Big Grin

It just make me laught to imagine the hobgoblins besieging the tower and cutting the chains..... LOL

Bassman

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - nitroglysarine - 09-16-2010 04:57 AM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
I'm sorry, I really can't help it.. I love beaten, rusty metal. Happy

You an me both i have about 20 paint colours of metals, from the sensible like bronze, copper, tin, titanium to the plane weird metalic blue, green and red.

Really love the effect of layers or stepping metallic colours - so painting my new CD's should be fun Big Grin

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 09-16-2010 07:11 AM

@GRNDL: what, now it's several snipers already!? Shock

@Bassmann: I cast them 'cause I thouht I really wanted a face on every block, which would have been undoable with foam. But in the end it looked too awkward so I reduced the number of faces. The roof shape made sense for me, I wanted something eastern or oriental, and figured they would put a lot of work into their buildings, seeing that Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs are the greatest artificers out there. Wink Or do you think it just doesn't look good with the round shape of the tower?

Cheers! Cheers!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Bassman - 09-17-2010 03:14 AM

The roof makes sense, being Chaos Dwarfs the Eastern most army in Warhammer world (actual army I mean...) they could be influenced by East style. It's just my taste i'm not crazy for pagoda style roofs Happy

Being over perfectionist I point the battlements. Soldiers are unprotected, I would prefer some merlons or similar. They would help to blend better the round shape of the tower to the roof.
But yours is cool as it is Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Loki - 09-17-2010 03:56 AM

That tower is absolutely amazing, i love every thing about it, a well earned win Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Snotling - 11-29-2010 05:07 PM

Whoa... well I think you don't need more persons who tell you how awesome your stuff is but... that's freakin' awesome!! Takes Hat off very inspiring work,perhaps I should make some new CD-stuff, too.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Willmark - 11-29-2010 05:14 PM

When Clam and Snotling compete, everyone wins.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Fequiil - 11-30-2010 02:54 AM

Snotling Wrote:
perhaps I should make some new CD-stuff, too.

perhaps?!Shock totally!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-20-2011 08:47 AM

I've been aching to put pictures of my BC lord up here, and now at last I can do just that. Happy

LORD ZAHADOSHT
The Golden / The Trampling Hoof of Hashut / High Satrap of the Ash Ridge Mountains

For years I wanted to make to a Chaos Dwarf war golem, but now when the chance arose to actually create one for GH.XIV, a cool design eluded me. Eventually the design I found best was one for a massive bull centaur lord, so in early february I started work on this one.

And this is how I did it:

As with several of my sculpts, I started off with a rough sculpt in Fimo, baked in several layers until I had the rough shape I wanted. The details were then made of green stuff sculpted over that.

The most time consuming part was the scale armour, made by attaching about 200-250 tiny hand-cut styrene chips in rows to the body until all the necessary areas were covered.

After that I could finish the shoulders and start work on the head and face and could add armour details for the belt and decoration.

Since I'm really no good in creating hands and weapons I chose two suitable Black Orc weapon arms and refined the axe heads with chaos weapon bitz. Both the gloves and the weapons received some further GS treatment to adorn them with lightning bolts, Runes of Hashut and skulls..

The hat / helmet was built in several stages, partly because I could not decide on the final layout until the actual last stage of the sculpt. Wink As a last-second addition, I carved a little hole into the side of the rock the lord was standing on, since the obligatory lava was completely missing until then - how very inappropriate! ^^

The paint job was pretty straightforward, the only change I decided upon very early on was to not use a rusted iron look since it seemed so unbefitting a bull centaur lord. So instead of that I went with a more bronze-like style unusual for my CD, but the base ties him in nicely with the rest of my army.

So here you go, total time needed: almost a whole month - and the effort turned out to be enough for a very lucky third place! Thanks to all who voted for my entry and to all who entered and made this competition so great. I loved working on that mini and I'm quite happy with the result. Now I'm looking forward to a new chance to compete again soon! Takes Hat off

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - nitroglysarine - 03-20-2011 08:52 AM

Its is an awesome sculpt. bravo!
You have the patience of a saint to do all those scale bits one by one, I have enough of a head ache doing it in gs!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Bassman - 03-20-2011 09:26 AM

Great not-so-mini Big Grin My favourite entry. It really look like bull centaurs should be: massive and imposing over the battle field.
I spotted the scale mail... they looked like cut from platicard.. now you confirmed. Great job!

dunno why it just reminds me of another GH winner.....Tongue

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - tjub - 03-20-2011 10:21 AM

That armour is insane! Great sculpt, its a really impressive model....

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-20-2011 11:08 AM

Bassman Wrote:
I spotted the scale mail... they looked like cut from platicard.. now you confirmed. Great job!

Uh, I hope they do in a good way..? :-/

I just had to it in plastic because I could not for the life of me get it to look any good in GS. I mean, I tried, but it looked like cr**. I really envy people like Baggronor who can sculpt great looking scales in GS. ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - warh - 03-20-2011 01:21 PM

This was my favorite entery, awesome work!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - dncswlf - 03-20-2011 01:30 PM

Holy styrene chips batman!  nice job!  love him!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - clam - 03-22-2011 11:19 AM

This is insane (in a good way). Must have taken you a billion hours to get right.

It's a cool miniature. Cant come as a surprise that I'm not that much of a fan of the BC concept itself (way to Big Hat for me) - but the execution, the sculpting and painting are stunning : hat off And those banners, wow Shock - how did you make the plastic card look so natural (fabric)? Heat gun?

And please tell how you did the brass/brass oxide - did you use any colour pigments for that?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-22-2011 02:39 PM

Hehe thanks Clam! Takes Hat off It was actually much harder to get to useable concept than sculpting the thing. Wink But come on, I really kept the hat small this time *gg*

The banners were actually made of Fimo just like the core of the body. I just cut them into angular pieces and baked them in the oven in a slightly warped shape. Voilà! The verdigris was painted on.. I thought of using a weathering pigment at first, but the green was not bright enough (it's more like a moss green) so I used a very thin wash instead after I had painted the metal. The whole thing had to be drybrushed again with chainmail and mithril silver to bring the metal out again but the final result was an OK-ish compromise between shiny and oxidised, I guess.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Nicodemus - 03-22-2011 06:16 PM

I thought this one was totally amazing... on oh so many levels.

I'm not sure if this was an intentional choice for the bull centaur, but the bend of the front and back legs should be reversed if this is really meant to represent a bull. The legs should bend such that they are under the body as opposed to directed outward.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Xander - 03-22-2011 08:51 PM

A ton of work went into this one, and it shows!  Well done, Ishkur. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Glimpse the Void - 03-23-2011 07:03 AM

Love the tower.  I will have to see if I can't make a suitable bastion from which my dwarves can "make it rain"

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Skink - 03-23-2011 12:17 PM

I loved this model! It had my vote!!!

It's really like I imagine a BC lord to be, and the scale armour is absolutely CRAZY!!! It must have took you zillions hours just to make it! Now all what he needs is  a painted unit of your majestic BCs to lead into battle! Exactly, I haven't forgot about them, they are awesome and they scream to be painted.

Returning to your BC Lord a (very)minor critic might go to the bull body. It might be the photos angle but the legs look to squat and short more like the ones of a (Hashut forgive me) pig rather than a bull. But that's just me!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Thommy H - 03-23-2011 12:31 PM

I do like the model, and I think I voted for it, I just wish it had horns like your Bull Centaur concept art!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-23-2011 02:53 PM

Nicodemus Wrote:
I'm not sure if this was an intentional choice for the bull centaur, but the bend of the front and back legs should be reversed if this is really meant to represent a bull.

You're absolutely right of course, what it turned out to be in the end is the legs of a canine rather than a bovine. I am sure it's a mutation of sorts. Lord Zahadosht the Golden is sometimes also called Zahadosht the Wrong-Legged. Though none in his retinue would ever dare to call him that in his face. Wink

@Skink: I rather had the upcoming (albeit it might yet take a few years) Warhammer Forge bull centaurs in mind.. my own are just too small and frail compared to his lordship.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - RTGamer - 04-03-2011 09:53 PM

Well I spent the last 2 hours reading an looking through this thread and wow Ishkur this is truly inspirational. I am just about to start my very own chaos dwarfs and all this greatness has inspired e to do concept art first then trybsculptung, followed by casting of bits to ensure I don't get burntout.

Can I ask did you study any anatomy before you sculpted these? I ask because they look great but I'd be worried about trying to sculpt a bull without researching first.

Anyways thank you so much... Don't know if mine will have the big hats though... Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 04-04-2011 01:15 PM

Glad you like my stuff! Takes Hat off
Yeah I did a little research into bovine anatomy, but as can be seen by the fauxpas with the legs, not very successfully so. Sad

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Mosk - 04-30-2011 05:37 PM

What thickness of plastic card did you use for the scales? And also amazing work man!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-01-2011 05:45 AM

I'm not exactly sure, I've had that piece of plastic card now for years.. looking at the pieces I'd say 0.5mm

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - CheTralfara - 06-17-2011 06:57 PM

Ishkur, you never fail to impress. If only the BC Lord's arms were an original sculpt, he would have to be casted and put into production. You are blowing pro chaos dwarf sculpts out of the water.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Castellan - 11-30-2011 09:44 PM

These are simply amazing. Very excellent greenstuff job you did there, sir. Cheers. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Castellan - 12-12-2011 08:50 PM

Great job here!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-13-2011 04:42 PM

Wow, twice the praise. Takes Hat off Thanks mate!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Borador - 12-18-2011 04:53 AM

Ishkur, when are we going to see new units? Tongue Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 12-18-2011 07:07 AM

Well Borador, things look pretty bleak for my Dawi Zharr - my gaming group has all but seized playing WHFB about two years ago so I have little motivation to continue any work on my little stunty slavers.. I do intend to take part in the next GH though, so maybe this will be the next update if things go well and I can finish everything as planned. Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Borador - 12-18-2011 10:41 AM

Really hope to see it soon mate! Your stuff is genius!

And get your friends back into WHFB Tongue Wink

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - tjub - 12-18-2011 04:59 PM

@Ishkur Cinderhat: That shouldnt stop you, we havent played since 7th ed... But my aim is for a 2000pts, and then Im of to play some games with whoever I can find. Happy

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - gIL^ - 12-18-2011 06:44 PM

You must consider casting and selling mini's buddy these are an amazing standard.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Dane Grejsen - 02-21-2012 07:42 PM

I am wondering as I am planning to create a chaos dwarf army, on what tourso was used before you detailed them with green stuff.

I ask this question because the noses on these characters seems to be naturally larger than those of the stanard GW Dwarf Warriors.

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Dane Grejsen - 02-21-2012 07:54 PM

I really like your detailed work with green stuff. I am planning of starting a converted dwarf to chaos dwarf army soon like yourself, so i am gathering some ideas.

looking a your suclpting work before you painted them and I noticed that the noses where larger than standard GW Dwarf  Warriors, so I pose the question of what was the torso you used to detail with green stuff, for molding?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-22-2012 06:23 PM

Chaos Dwarf miniatures of the big hat era always had really large noses, so I emulated that when I sculpted the original greens. If I remember correctly I cut off the original noses of the dwarf warriors that I used a base for the sculpts and glued on Gnoblar noses instead. Respect to the Hat!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Obsidian - 05-23-2012 06:01 AM

The BC is great! Any other stuff to show which you've been working on ?! ^^

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - 14feet - 02-10-2013 03:17 AM

Amazing!!! You have inspired me to paint my big hats in a similar fashion.Hashut!

How long have you been painting?

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-10-2013 06:11 AM

Uh.. something about 20 years now, I think? But I got into Warhammer more seriously 14 ago and have not stopped since. ^^