CDO Forums
Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Painted Dunkleodon! - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Showcase & Army Blogs (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Painted Dunkleodon! (/showthread.php?tid=51)

Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Painted Dunkleodon! - Kyte - 02-13-2007 03:09 PM

Please note that these posts are copies from HOH forums, and are supposed to look like updates.

Kyte Presents:
The Kings of Pain - An all converted Chaos Dwarf army
Hi there My name is Jonas Plass. I'm running Tzeentch and Wood elf army diaries on most other forums, so I thought I'd make a gnoblog here as well. The name of the army "The Kings of Pain" IS, as most might have thought stolen from the hit single "King of Pain" from The Police's 5th album "Synchronicity". LOL.

This diary will include all manner of WIP pics, notes Armylists, Battlerepports, Conversion tips and everything else, that is needed in the army. Almost every model in the army will be converted except a hellcannon+crew. I've bought some skull pass models, all for ÔŅĹ25:

2 Thanes
2 Slayers
1 Bound Slayer
1 Goblin Shaman
1 Cart
1 Cannon
3 Crew
80 Night Goblin spearmen
20 Night Goblin archers
24 Dwarf warriors
16 Miners
10 Thundeerers
10 Spider riders
Goblin tower thing

I think that's it all.

Now I just need to wait until the post arrives Big Grin While I wait, I've made some test models from the free WD models and a death rocket battery from plasticard

I have thought of a conversion list:

Thanes - Heroes on foot
Slayers - dunno... Maybe sorcerers. These are the only models without armour.
Bound Slayers - really dunno
Goblin Shaman - Hobgoblin Hero with great weapon
Cart - dunno
Cannon - dunno
Crew - Maybe sorcerers, maybe BSB
Night Goblin spearmen - Hobgoblin warriors
Night Goblin archers - Hobgoblin archers
Dwarf warriors - Chaos Dwarf Warriors
Miners - Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Great weapons
Thundeerers - Blunderbusses
Spider riders - really really dunno...
Goblin tower thing - base decoration or unit filler
Wall - base decoration or unit filler. Maybe a front filler, that counts as 5 blunderbusses...

Converting really isn't a problem for me. Here is an example of what I can do with greenstuff:

This fella is my beastman general and won't be part of this army though.

Here are some pics of the chaos dwarfs I've done so far:

Death Rocket (or Fireworks of doom):

Test models:

Dis I mention that they are going to get lava bases Wink ?

And here is my army lists:

1000pts:

CD Hero - 94pts
1+ save Magic armour thingy
Great Weapon

CD Sorcerer - 125pts
Lvl 2, LO'Fire, Scroll

10 Warriors - 140pts
Full Command
Great Weapons

12 Warriors - 138pts
Full Command
Shields

10 Blunderbusers - 120pts

10 Hobgobbo Archers - 50pts
Bows

10 Hobgobbo Archers - 60pts
Bows
Musician

2 Death Rockets - 160 (Or 5 Hobgoblin Bolt throwers - 150pts. If so, Both HG archer units will have musicians.)

Earthshaker - 110pts

2 PD
2 DD + scroll.

Here is my expanded 2000pts armylist:

Lord - 386pts
Great Weapon
1+ save armour
Bull Taurus

Sorcerer - 125pts
Lvl 2
LO'Fire
Scroll

Sorcerer - 125pts
Lvl 2
LO'Fire
Scroll

Hobgoblin chieftain - 48pts
Heavy Armour
Great Weapon

20 Warriors - 250pts
Great Weapons
Heavy Armour
Full Command

20 Warriors - 210pts
Shields
Heavy Armour
Full Command

10 Blunderbuses - 120pts
Heavy Armour

10 Hobgoblins - 50pts
Bows

10 Hobgoblins - 50pts
Bows

23 Hobgoblins - 46pts

20 Hobgoblins - 40pts

20 Hobgoblins - 40pts

2 Death Rockets - 160pts
4 Crew

4 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers - 120pts
8 Crew

Earthshaker - 110pts
3 Crew

5 Bull Centaurs - 120pts
Standard bearer
Heavy Armour
Shields
Great Weapons

Total: 2000pts
CD: 6
DD: 4 + 2 scrolls
Models: 165

Now the list leaves me with some conversions, that can't be made from the deal, but those are easily solved with bits and leftovers from other armies + some minor things, that I can get from a local bit pusher.

Great Taurus - Converted 40k orc dreadnought with pilot made from a regular warrior.
Bolt throwers - Plasticard with Night Goblin command models for crew
Earthshaker - Old hellcannon, that I bought before I realized that they weren't usable in beastman armies.
Death Rockets - as on the picture. rockets made from balsa wood and plasticard.
Bull centaurs - GS cast the pony from the wagon and use The casts as base... Or anyone got a better idea? Steam punk Astragoth style centaurs from plasticard, anyone?

2017 Image Salvage

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Kyte - 02-13-2007 03:15 PM

ROCKET BATTERY:

Hope you like it!

I've recieved one of my 2 skull pass deals, and I've begun experimenting with different things. Here is the very first WIP unit of great weapon warriors. Please note the standard:

What most of you might have been waiting for is my mech taurus. I know that many will be disapointed to see that I chose the mech idea. There are mainly 2 reasons why I've done that.
1) Didn't want to start another mayor sculpting project.
2) Got an orc dread for £0,5 and had lots of leftover parts + My theme is steampunk...
Anyways, here is a pic of the massive monstrosity. I know that many won't like it, but I hope some will.
PS: It's not even fully assambled. Most are tac'ed together and it still need hellicopter blades/wings/jet motors or whatever flying parts you'd like.
Here it is:

And a cheesy 500pts list:

Chaos Dwarf Hero - 70pts
General
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour

11 Chaos Dwarf Warriors - 131pts
Great weapons
Standard

10 Blunderbusses - 120pts

Hobgoblin Bolt thrower - 30pts
2 Hobgoblin Crew

2 Hobgoblin Crew

2 Hobgoblin Crew

2 Hobgoblin Crew

2 Hobgoblin Crew

2 Hobgoblin Crew

Total: 499pts
Models: 40
DD: 2
CD: 2, but no sorcerers to cast...

Quite an (ch)easy list to play, that gives you plenty of missile fire. Should do a massive damage.

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Kyte - 02-13-2007 03:16 PM

I present you: A guide on how to make Chaos Dwarfs from skull pass miners!

It is pretty simple. Just follow the steps provided in the four parts.

This guide is the first in a seeries of articles about how to make the cheepest, cheesiest and greatest Chaos Dwarf Army from 2 skull pass sets.

Still to come is:

How to make Bolt Throwers.
How to make Hobgoblins.
How to make a cheap Death Rocket battery.

I don't know when these guides will be made, but I promise that it will be soon. A strange thing that some of you might have noticed is the fact that this army is progressing much faster than any of my previous armies. This might have something to do with the fact that I have always wanted Chaos Dwarves. I really regret that I didn't buy a Chaos Dwarf army, when they were at 75% off sale in a store in a ragged little town on my summer holiday 10 years ago. I could have got a taurus for £5! Woot! But what does little folish 6 year old me buy? a fu**king single pack of skinks! SKINKS! Hmmm. enough about that...

Anyways, here's the guide:

I'm taking a day off tomorrow, and I actually hope to have the bolt thrower guide up either tomorrow or during the weekend!

- Kyte

And oh! Tho old pics of the Death Rocket were awfull! I've taken some new ones for ya:

This pic shows the skin highlighting (Which I'm quite proud of) a lot better than the original pic.

- Kyte again

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Kyte - 02-13-2007 03:18 PM

I'd like to introduce my general:

Chaos Dwarf Hero on foot with Great Weapon, Heavy Armour and enchanted shield. This guy will stay in the warrior unit and use his high leadership value on my hobgoblins, as the Taurus mounted Lord flies around and cause Havoc. Really took my time painting this guy. He represent the best I can paint right now. I am particularly happy with the shin and the luxory cape painted to look very dark with a slight red twist. As you can see, he's a whole lot bigger than an average dwarf. In fact, he's (With the hat) as tall as an ogre, which is much for a dwarf. It might be because I'm a former ogre and Beastman player, that I have the vision, that characters should be particularly big. To make him bigger, I had to change his feet for hooves and lenghten the cape a lot.

The second thing I've done is these:

Dis all those guys in less than a week. It helps a lot to paint a whole unit at a time instead of groups of 3-4 models. Before I painted these, I redid most of their masks, as they were rushed and looked cartoony. I think I solved the problem quite nicely and the masks look more 'grim' than cartoony at this point.

And last (And least) A taster of what you will see in the next few days:

First of my many Hobgoblin Bolt throwers. I will make a guide on how to make the machine itself, when this one is finished.

That's all and I hope to see lots of replies.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Kyte - 02-13-2007 03:19 PM

First up is my WIP Sorcerer of fire:

IMO, it's a good example of how you can make an ugly model look alright, or even good. It still needs a cape and some more hair + some touchups before I can paint it.

Next up is my long awaited Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower:

the thrower is totally scratch-built. I am really happy with how the crew's skin turned out.

The last thing is the promised guide on how to make bolt throwers. They are meant to be small and twiggy, as they're only 30pts. Please note that if some of the pics don't show up, right-click and chose view image:

that's all.

C&C is welcome as always

thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog [Pic Heavy] - The chosen of hashut - 02-13-2007 03:35 PM

You are very good at this, i especially liked your cd hero (even tho he's a little big Tongue), how long have you been playing cd??

RE: Kyte's Army Blog [Pic Heavy] - Ellimist - 02-13-2007 04:28 PM

Truly inspiring. Can we add your guides to the wiki please?

RE: Kyte's Army Blog [Pic Heavy] - Xander - 02-13-2007 05:08 PM

I think it is safe to add them.  Happy

Thanks for posting these Kyte!  Hope I didn't bug you about it too much, hehe.

Love this stuff.  That sorcerer is turning our cool.  Which reminds me that I have to get Snotling to post his stuff too!  I already got him signed up... but now he's gotta post! Tongue

RE: Kyte's Army Blog [Pic Heavy] - Hashut's Blessing - 02-13-2007 09:33 PM

Once again, great work! Nice to see the conversion articles as well.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog [Pic Heavy] - Kyte - 02-14-2007 05:03 AM

The chosen of hashut Wrote:
how long have you been playing cd??

Since the week between Christmas and New Year... I used some scrap/leftover GS from the building of my daemon, and made a few chaos dwarfs from some free WD models... Then I bought a BFSP set cheap from a friend, who didn't like it as a Christmas present...

Ellimist Wrote:
Can we add your guides to the Wiki please?

'Course you can, but please upload them to your server, Xander. I don't have unlimited photobucket bandwidth...

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog [Pic Heavy] - Xander - 02-14-2007 07:42 AM

All images in the Wiki are hosted on the Wiki.  Thanks Kyte!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Last Updated 14/2 07 - Kyte - 02-14-2007 10:25 AM

14/2 07

Yet again, 10 days have passed and I'm back to show you what I've managed to do.

Apart from 2 science reports (school stuff), I have done a whole lot since last update. First thing you'll probably notice is my new avatar. It is made by Xander from the Hand of Hashut forum. I believe that I was not the only one, who was tired of looking at that jumping paint-done ogre bull. This avatar might be just temporary though, and I might change it, when Corai's beastlord ava is finished.

On to the models!

First up is my painted sorcerer:

As requested, I've covered his butt with a greenstuff loincloth. I am more than happy with how the painting turned out.

Second is 2 more bolt throwers... Only 5 to go...

Please note the unloaded one and the loader with sdulpted arms.

Then is my Earth Shaker:

I really hope that I'll be able to use it as a hellcannon in friendly games (Or if there'll ever be a new book...)
Might be the next thing I paint. I cut about half of the chasis off, as I've used the 2 cooler sets of wheels for my taurus (Watch earlier posts in this blog for a pic). I also cut some of the barrel. The crew are all converted in some way or another.

Last is a WIP shot of my Blunderbusser unit:

Not much to say. Pretty standard conversion work. Cut half off the handguns and gave 'em masks and dreadlock beards...

That's all.

I'll have a week's holiday next week, and I might get my hands on some brownstuff... Any tips?

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Last Updated 14/2 07 - Xander - 02-14-2007 10:53 AM

Man, your army is looking great!  How about some group shots next time of everything you have done so far!  Awesome work man!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Last Updated 14/2 07 - hal - 02-14-2007 10:54 AM

Group shots would be a great idea, gives a new perspective for people to hold the army in (ie.awe)

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - Last Updated 14/2 07 - Kyte - 02-14-2007 11:17 AM

I have thought of a group shot, but I decided to wait until I had a full 500pts army (Need to do BBs first)

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :14/02/07) - Xander - 02-20-2007 01:46 AM

Well, whenever the group shot comes, I know it will look awesome. Happy

Have you made any progress on those BBs?  Happy

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :14/02/07) - Kyte - 02-20-2007 01:11 PM

Xander Wrote:
Have you made any progress on those BBs?  Happy

I've done the metals. Spent most of sunday on a game against my dad. I barely defeated his w00d elves. I will do the BBs and start on my earthshaker before the week is over though.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :14/02/07) - Xander - 02-20-2007 01:23 PM

Sweet man! Can't wait for those!  Your army is shaping up nice and fast. Happy

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :14/02/07) - Hashut's Blessing - 02-20-2007 08:47 PM

Have you got most of painted now as well? Though BBs intrigue me greatly. Wait, I don't think I've commented on yuor work on THIS forum. It's GREAT!

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :14/02/07) - Kyte - 03-01-2007 03:43 PM

March 1st 2007:

A long time since last update. Hope you haven't missed pics too much Wink But anyway, here are a lot of pics, both WIP and finished.

First up is my long awaited BLUNDERBUSS UNIT:

I think it's the best painted unit in the army so far. And for those, who worried about the unit being all beards on front. you might be glad to see that they aren't. Please note the crushed right eye on the detail-view pic. He's my favourite Blunderbusser and is called Steven. lol.

Next up is something, that people making new CD armies have had trouble with, a Bull Centaur:

I know that some will like the vulcanic red warpaint/tatoo patern. I just found the model too dull with an all greyish black bull body. It was also a great opportunity for me to practice my skills of blending. For "What's it made of" purposes, it's a skull pass miner with a marauder weapon, a greenstuff mask, and an old pistolier horse body. The legs were cut into pieces and then pinned back on whereafter they were resculpted to look smaller and more muscular. The tail is scratch-built.

Between the other things I've done, is an early pre-greenstuff banner for my Bull Centaur BSB.

It will represent the banner of slavery, which is very usefull for a BSB in a goblinfull army. I'll gladly take any advise on this, as it is such an early WIP, that I can still change anything. One thing is sure though: I can't get any zombie bits to replace the Human slave. He will stay, but can be modyfied.

Last but not least, I present you the earliest beginnings of my warrior unit filler:

This is another attempt at making an awfull skull pass miniature looking good. I'm still thinking if I should add a facemask, or it would be unfitting, as it is obviously a slave troll. One thing I will add is a slaver holding the dwarf in a chain and herding it forwarf with some kind of spear or trident. I think the change of arm pose works great by the way.

Doubles Tournament report:

Yesterday, Ogre Stronghold member, Ralph and I went to a local doubles tournament. It didn't go exactly as we wanted it to...

The tournament were made up of teams consisting of two independant 500pts armies.

Both Ralph and I used Chaos Dwarfs. Our lists were:

Mine:

Chaos Dwarf hero on foot with GW and HA

10 Warriors with FCMD, HA and GW.

10 BBs with HA

3 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers

Death Rocket platform

Ralphs:

Bull Centaur Hero with GW and HA

10 Warriors with GW and HA.

10 BBs with HA

5 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers.

For those, that don't know, these lists are both legal, as BTs are 2 per choice. These lists might seem cheesy as hell, but that wasn't exactly the case.

Game 1, against Wood Elves/Slayers:

They had:

1 Slayer hero with GW

2 Doomseekers

2x10 Slayers with GW

Waywatcher Hero with some bound spell spite

5 Waywatchers

2 units of Dryads. Don't remember the sizes.

We let them set up the board, and that was a big mistake, because 60% of the board was full of difficult terrain (ruins/woods).

The game was quite boring. Everything but waywatchers and doomseekers stayed inside the terrain, so that they couldn't be targeted, while the waywatchers ran from warmachine to warmachine. The doomseekers charged our bull centaur hero, who killed one, wounded another, but died himself.

Rather boring/cheesy moves from the other players.

RESULT: Draw

Game 2, against DE/Ogres:

This was a funny concept. the team consisted of a father and his 12-year old son. You don't see that very often...

They had:

Bruiser with BOH and IF

4 bulls with IF

4 Ironguts, with maybe a champion...

DE Sorceress

2x5 shades

2x10 crossbowmen.

This battle started out great. We killed the sorceress in round 1 with a BT. But then it all started to go terribly wrong. For the rest of the game, we almost didn't roll anything but 1's and 2's. Only other things we killed were 2 ironguts (which the hero on foot slaughtered), 5 shades, who ran frm an undefeated BT crewman and 1 bull, who was shot by millions of BTs. We ended up with having only 10 BBs, 7 warriors and 3 BTs left while the enemy still had 20 crossbowmen, 3 bulls, half bruiser and an irongut left.

Result: Minor loss.

So what have I learnt? BT-heavy armies are not as good as expected. They are very vulnerable to scouts, and ogres work well with shooting elves in support.

Round 2 (of 4) will be held either on monday or on wednesday next week. To our great luck, we are allowed to change our lists, and even our armies for the next rounds, so I will most likely take a wood elf army and Ralph will be using either a less BT-heavy CD army, or an ogre army.

The night wasn't at all wasted. In fact, I believe in faith, and I believe that the reason of our bad luck was the extreme luck I had at the beginning of the tournie, because I asked the store managers if they had a new plastic empire hochland sniper rifle in a bits box somewhere, that I could buy for a conversion. Sadly, they hadn't, but while looking in bits boxes out in the back, my eyes came across a real treasure. an original Bull Centaur Lord model from the Bighat line! Along with the centaur, they had several other old Bighat models, but many were either missing parts, or overpriced.

here's a pic. Sadly, there wasn't a base, but that doesn't matter. I got it for £2,5! That's luck enough for me! He will count as a normal Unit Champion in my army.

That's all for today. Ask questions and I shall answer as usual!

Thanks

- Kyte Respect to the Mask! fusion Respect to the Hat!

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :14/02/07) - Snotling - 03-01-2007 04:42 PM

yeah, looks great. you are a rather fast painter and your minis look very good, that's cool! i can't wait to see your first Army Pic" Takes Hat off

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :01/03/07) - Xander - 03-01-2007 06:33 PM

Nice BB unit!  Excellent Bull Centaur! That slave troll looks pretty nice so far.  Great find with the Bull Centaur!

Like Snotling said, can't wait to see a group shot. Big Grin

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :01/03/07) - Revlid - 03-03-2007 09:45 AM

For your Slave Troll filler, I would recommend a spiked collar of some kind to further show its servitude. But, damn, you've made a rubbish model look good there. :0

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :01/03/07) - Xander - 03-03-2007 09:15 PM

Also, in addition to the collar, you could have a Chaos Dwarf slave driver with a whip directing him. Happy

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated :01/03/07) - Monty - 03-03-2007 10:46 PM

Great stuff, as usual.

But man your first round of the tournie sounds horrid... Woodies are a bad match up for CD's and there boring to play against but teamed up with the list from hell that would have just sucked! Also what was with all the terrain? I usualy kick up a fuss if in 1000 points (4x4) theres more then 3 pieces of terrain.

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 04/03/07) - Kyte - 03-04-2007 01:48 PM

4/3 07:

On almost every forum I've posted this blog on, people have asked for a group shot of all I've done so far.

So without further ado, here it is:

Only things on the pics, that cannot be found elsewhere in the blog are the bull centaur BSB and the latest progress of the taurus rider (new mask and hat)

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 04/03/07) - Xander - 03-04-2007 05:20 PM

Excellent!

A higher rez shot of your painted Miniatures would be sweet too. *wink wink*  But never the less, great overview of what's done, and what needs to be done. Props!

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 04/03/07) - Snotling - 03-04-2007 05:50 PM

yeah cool, i love such pics! keep it up so we can see more and bigger army pics Takes Hat off

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 15/03/07) - Kyte - 03-15-2007 01:47 PM

15/3 07

as my finger stopped bleeding, I realized that it wasn't as bad as I first thought. I could actually sculpt a little!

and over the weekend, I did this:

I got an offer in a trading post with 36 "Dwarfs of latest edition with enough for a 500pts army" for a mere £15, so I bought it straight away. When I recieved the deal, I got really happy. It contained:
1 Engeneer.
16 Warriors with Great Weapons.
10 Thunderers.
6 Warriors with Shields
3 BSFP Miners.
All painted to a tabletob quality, but that was stripped right after packing it out!

At first, I didn't know what to do with the engeneer, and I decided to convert it into a BSB on foot, but looking at it, it looked more like a sorcerer. Having in mind that I already had a Bull Centaur BSB in early WIP stages (will be shown in next update), I decided to do a Great Sorcerer conversion for flexibility, and the possibility of having an all magic army. So I began to think about a theme for the sorcerer, and I settled on a fire daemon.

I'm very happy with how the conversion turned out. The dwarf itself captures the arogant feel of the 4th ed bighat models and the fire daemon looks flaming.

In other news, we have had 3 rounds of the doubles tournament. And I must say that me and ralph's Wood Elf/Ogre alliance is doing very well. We seem rather unstoppable, and in 2 rounds, we have gone from 1 point to 8, which is a shared 1st place.

Our lists:

WE:

Noble, GW, SH, LB, LA

10 GG, LB

10 Dryads

5 GRs, LB

OK:

Bruiser, BoH, IF, LA

3 Bulls, LA

3 IGS, HA, GW

20 Gnoblars, SS

8 Trappers, SS.

Trappers are our hidden killers. They charged a HE noble on a chariot and made him flee off the table giving us close to 400 VP in round 1. The slayer army, who hid from our BTs, can't get into CC with our units, and we can snipe the doomseekers and grant us the win. In fact, we haven't lost any battles with this alliance, but scored a massive 5 massacres.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 15/03/07) - Snotling - 03-15-2007 03:47 PM

whoa, this guy looks cool! or maybe more... hot ^^. the hat looks a little bit soft, was that your intention?

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 15/03/07) - Xander - 03-16-2007 11:09 AM

Wow, nicely done!  Sculpting FTW!

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 26/03/07) - Kyte - 03-26-2007 11:05 AM

What could it be? It's all in the picture...

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 26/03/07) - Xander - 03-27-2007 09:48 PM

What could it all mean? :O

Can't wait for more. Happy

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 26/03/07) - hal - 03-28-2007 11:47 AM

It's all very mysterious.

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 26/03/07) - Father Grumpmas - 03-28-2007 04:34 PM

I await with worms on my tongue (baited breath Tongue)

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - Kyte - 04-01-2007 06:27 AM

01/4 07

I'll start this post with revealing some of th previews I flashed at the beginning of the week.

Most of you might have wondered alot about th strange tree on the 40x40mm base. You shall not wonder no more!

May I present you Beast Queen Vargh'Na (Counting as Morghur in game terms) She is based on the Heresy Feral Priestess-Queen model, but I didn't like her head, as it wasn't beasty enough, so I switched it with a plastic beastman head, added some more horns and covered it with a hood.
Please do not mistake this for a Slaanesh beastman. Although she's a gal, she's 100% Tzeentch. I just got the model so cheap!

Fluff will follow, as I get her painted.

I however don't think she's converted enough. If you have any ideas, please tell me, but I won't add a tail, as that's not beastly enough.

Another preview, you might have been thinking of is the strange white wall with the skull symbols on it.

It's not a filler, but a Display Tray (Still Unpainted, of course)

Nothing much to say.

And last, but not least comes the painted Fire Daemonologist-Sorcerer lord:

Compared to my other stuff, he is one of the best painted miniatures I have, if I should say it myself. The beard looks dull and flat in the pic, but it's actually slightly blueish IRL. The daemon itself came out better than I'd have expected too.

Another thing, that has happened this week is that a member of one of the forums I'm using (Ogre Stronghold, Asrai.org, TLG, TDF, Herdstone, HoH, CDO and Warseer) I can't tell who or which forum, Has offered me a massive £500 for 1000pts of Chaos Dwarfs! I just had to say yes to that deal. I even get to keep the Daemon Sorcerer, as only one Sorcerer is included in the member's armylist! Even after making this comission, I'll have enough Skull Pass models for 2250pts for myself! All I need to paint is my hellcannon, 10 BBs, 10 Warriors and 20 Hobgoblins!

Thanks

- Kyte

And Xander. Could you please make me a new avatar with my Fire Sorcerer? If yes, make one 150x150 and one 100x100 pix.

- Kyte again

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - AGPO - 04-01-2007 07:13 AM

£500!:0 Someone has more money than sense methinks. My high horse and I both agree that its far better to have an army you've taken the time to model and paint yourself than to simply buy someone elses. Its part of the fun of the hobby after all! Still, if your modelling is good enough to get you this type of money, more power to you. Nice work KyteCheers! Out of interest, how did you paint that fire daemon? I'm afraid I've nicked your bolt thrower idea, but I've made it even cheaper by using left over sprues rather than balsa wood. i can't find the thick wire anywhere though. I've checked my local hardware store, but they don't have any Sad Can't wait to see what you do with the hobbos, those crew look awesome

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - Kyte - 04-01-2007 02:39 PM

Well, the comision thing was an april fool. Thanks anyway!

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - Xander - 04-01-2007 08:23 PM

Bravo Kyte!  Everything looks great!  Top notch work. Happy

Hats. Big Grin

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - Monty - 04-01-2007 10:45 PM

Best. Sorcerer. Ever.

Unreal, honestly that is one of the coolest conversions i've seen.

Cheers, Mont

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - hal - 04-03-2007 12:45 PM

Well done Kyte, I'm a big fan of the beastie-girl.

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - oboudd - 04-09-2007 07:00 PM

Kyte your the best sculpter I've(and lot's of other people)have seen.
Also thanks for making a bull tarus I relly needed to know how to make one of those.

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - The Flying Beaver - 04-09-2007 07:42 PM

Wow Kyte, that's a fantastic sorceror! You're really getting good at this.

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - catbarf - 04-09-2007 09:10 PM

Really well-made, but I can't escape the idea that he's made of crumpled up paper painted orange... meh... I don't know. But still, really nice! I especially love the visor on that Daemonologist!

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - Kyte - 05-17-2007 10:27 AM

This was updated on other forums a month ago, but I couldn't post here, as the forum was down.

@Catbarf: The daemon is made of greenstuff...

Once again, many days have passed since last update, and this time, the long wait hasn't even been worth, cause this is what most would call a minor update. With only 2 weeks left before the final exams begin, I haven't got much time for warhammer. Another thing that has taken a lot of my time lately is that I have recovered the long lost game of Heroes III - Now with the WOG mod, giving you tons of new maps, creatures, artifacts and even a new recource and town. You should try it. It's free. You just need to have Heroes III Complete.

Link: http://wakeofthegods.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/download.shtml

and with free, I mean legal too.

Talking about heroes, it has had influence on my warhammer, because I've made a Troglodyte to show you. This was made exclusively because of the house rules, that I came up with. I have no intentions about making more than this one.

Since last update, I haven't actually made any Chaos Dwarfs. This doesn't mean that I haven't done anything for my Chaos Dwarf Army. May I present you my WIP Hobgoblin Unit:

I think that the drummer is far cooler than th awful  Gong, and apart from that, I've used most of my command models for BT Crew.

I have also made a Hobgoblin Hero. He is far bigger than an ordinary Hobgoblin.

The gun doesn't count as anything in game terms. It's just there to show that hobbos are more technologically advanced than other goblins.

The hellcannon/earthshaker is also PIP at the moment, but I didn't bother taking pics.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:18/05/07) - Xander - 05-17-2007 10:40 AM

Awesome work man! Kyte rules!

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Last Updated: 01/04/07) - Snotling - 05-17-2007 10:51 AM

Kyte Wrote:
I have also made a Hobgoblin Hero.

i think, i will call him Flint
Takes Hat off

RE: [Blog] Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:18/05/07) - Kyte - 05-17-2007 12:05 PM

Snotling Wrote:
i think, i will call him Flint

He's painted now, and goes under the name "Tharg the Trigger-Happy"

Flint is a cool name also though.

Pics of him, and the finished Hobgoblyn unit will be up one of the next days.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:17/05/07) - Kyte - 05-17-2007 03:07 PM

17/5 07

Gah! Long time no update!

The reason is that I have been busier than normal. I am now halfway through my final exams, and I'm doing quite well.

It is almost a month since I last posted, and even though I've been busy, I have done something.

First of all, I have painted my Hobgoblyn Big Boss, Tharg the Trigger-Happy:

Not much to say. He's pretty hard with WS and S 5 for only 46 pts.
Still, the gun is just a fluff item, and to show that hobgoblyns are more technologically advanced than other greenskins.

I have also painted 15 Hobgoblins:

15 done... Now I've got only half a billion left... (See later pic...)
Opposed to everybody else, I like fielding goblins in units of 25 with full command, shields and light armour. They are actually quite tough with a 4+ save in combat.
Please note the drummer. His name is Stewart Big Grin

I'm also experimenting with Wolf Riders:

I really like the fact that these remain fast cavalry no matter how much armour you give them.
I made this unit AND did an exam in 24 hours, but I think they turned out well.
I would like to add a boss to the unit, but I haven't got the bits for him at the moment.
If anyone has a spare wolf and/or a spare 7th ed Night Goblin Big Boss on foot (Preferably with 2 hand weapons), I'd really like to buy it.
When the army is finished, it will include between 10 and 20 wolf riders - I can't get enough Fast Cavalry!

Last, and probably least, is a preview of what I will do... sometime...

The first one, who guess how many goblins the pile includes, gets a cookie.
A hint is that without the spider riders (Which shall be converted into Beastman Centigors), and with some characters, I'll have enough points for about 1500 points of Goblins only.

I hope to paint up the wolf riders soon, and update more frequently, but I have another 4 exams to do still, so time will show.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:17/05/07) - Father Grumpmas - 05-17-2007 05:02 PM

Love the conversion of the wolf pointing his head up as if he is about to howl.

Your army really is excellent - both the conversions and paint jobs are understated but really effective.

More jealous each picture you postBig Grin

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:17/05/07) - oboudd - 05-18-2007 05:05 PM

I think there's 20 gobbos in the pile.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:17/05/07) - Perturabo - 05-18-2007 05:37 PM

Kyte Wrote:
The first one, who guess how many goblins the pile includes, gets a cookie.
A hint is that without the spider riders (Which shall be converted into Beastman Centigors), and with some characters, I'll have enough points for about 1500 points of Goblins only.

Lots? Now hand over the cookie!Tongue

Your conversions are excellent Kyte. I love the little masks on the Hobbo's, and the gun on the boss. I did a similar thing with the command models for my warriors.
†l
\/

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:17/05/07) - Kyte - 05-19-2007 05:24 AM

oboudd Wrote:
I think there's 20 gobbos in the pile.

There are far more than 20

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:17/05/07) - Xander - 05-19-2007 10:23 AM

Nicely done, love the Wolf boyz. Happy

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - Kyte - 05-20-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:
What did I think about when I said that I needed a hobgoblin and a Gazhag Khan wolf?

I'm Kyte! I can make things myself!

That was what I thought friday night.

And then I looked in my bits box and found some parts:

1 Normal GW Plastic Wolf
1 Wolf Rider
1 Old NG Hero head
1 Piece of steel rod
1 6th ed dwarf axe.

And within 2 days, those bits turned into:

Still very WIP obviously. Still needs to finish the wolf and make a robe for the hero, but I wanted to show you some WIPs.
So what do you think?
Is it too much?
Should I add head armour to the wolf? If yes, should it follow the skull/death mask theme for the rest of the army?
Do you like the pose?
and most importantly: Does it look like a wolf?

I'm very satisfied with it so far.

PS: For those, who hasn't seen, there's 97 gobbos and 9 spiders in the pile.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - hobblin - 05-20-2007 12:27 PM

Nice work as always and yes kite it does look like a wolf just bigger.
Also you should keep with your theme its cool.

cheers

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - Lord Archaon - 05-20-2007 12:46 PM

Great work on wolf Kyte.Happy But i think his tail is a bit straight. No armour needed to the wolf i think he will be too big as a wolf. His pose is also perfect.
Lord Archaon

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - marine281 - 05-21-2007 02:21 AM

Dude the uber wolf. Hobbo needs to show the others who is boss.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - AGPO - 05-21-2007 05:58 AM

As always, quite astounding work. Just one question, what is the wolf's head? I reaaly like the troglodite, it looks just like the old minis (check out solegends.com for truly ancient classic minis) I'd love to see how you made it, (if you've got any stage by stage pics they would be VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED) The Dawi'zharr have inspired me to resurect some old races that have been "Squated" such as Zoats, Fimir, and Troglodites. The best part is, GW can't refuse to let me use them as they are from GW background.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - Kyte - 05-21-2007 06:45 AM

AGPO Wrote:
Just one question, what is the wolf's head?

2 words: Brown Stuff --> Selfsculpted

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - Traitor King - 06-01-2007 05:42 AM

umms, thats 3 words Happy
Nice army i realy love your models (like ive been saying over at the 'stone eversince you started your blog).
cant wait for more.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:20/05/07) - Hashut's Blessing - 06-02-2007 09:21 AM

I think maybe the jaw of the wolf should be slightly more open. If you put armour on it, have it cover the back of the neck and side of the front legs (continuously of course) as well. Not sure it needs it, unless your Hobgob wolfrider champions have head armour. Also, make sure the robes bulk out the weedy hobgob body, it looks very fragile for the size of the head and axe.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Kyte - 06-03-2007 02:52 PM

I'm back with a new, maybe a little disturbing update! This time, only 3 days delay!

I have managed to finish the Hobgoblin Hero on Wolf:

He could need a bit of filing here and there, but I'm really happy with the way he came out. After much trying and practice, I dropped the skull mask. It was simply too hard to make it look okay, so there are actually limits for what I can do with GS :cry:

Through playing, I have found out that wolf riders are extraordinarily usefull in a CD army. Not only can they shoot and run away before getting engaged, they han also stand up to my arch nemesis, Glade Riders in close combat. I've placed a bit on a deal with some more wolves, so 4 units of 5 + a boss is not an impossible idea.

Here is a tester for how my wolves will be painted:

Pretty standard scheme. Pretty realistic also.

By the way, did any one of you know, that no wolf has ever attacked or even bit a human? NEVER EVER! That's strange, because wolves have always been like a dangerious creature to me... Yet one of my favourite animals!

With some of the spare greenstuff I had left from my wolf riding general, I made this:

Nickname: Hades
He's a hobgoblin shaman, that will be used either as a familiar, or as a night goblin shaman if I use my hobbos as night gobbos. I have 160 hobbos anyway. Talking about using hobbos as night gobbos, couldn't it be cool if I made some fanatics on gliders based on hobgoblin from Spiderman Tongue Just kidding!

The disturbing part of the update comes here, so turn back, if you don't like it:

Isn't she gross?
This is one of the most scarry models I've ever made. It's an elf, who got too close to morghur, and is becomming a Spawn of chaos. Don't expect it to be painted soon. I'll paint it up along with my beast queen and a few other spawn, but after my Chaos Dwarf army.
Is it too much?
It's inspired by Kirsten Williams' "The Wrath of Change" diorama, where some empire soldiers are turning into spawn because of a Tzeentch Sorcerer's spell.

That's all for now. Expect painted wolfies soon

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Xander - 06-04-2007 09:40 AM

Kyte Wrote:
Through playing, I have found out that wolf riders are extraordinarily usefull in a CD army. Not only can they shoot and run away before getting engaged, they han also stand up to my arch nemesis, Glade Riders in close combat. I've placed a bit on a deal with some more wolves, so 4 units of 5 + a boss is not an impossible idea.

Except that Wolfies are 10+ in a CD army. Tongue

Awesomely sculpted man!  He looks great. Happy

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Lord Archaon - 06-04-2007 12:28 PM

Wow! The painted wolf went really good.Happy About the Elf Spawn it's greatHappy but i'd put him in the center of the base because hi looks more like a base for some monster or hero.The Goblin Spirit is awesome too.Big Grin

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Traitor King - 06-04-2007 02:03 PM

wow, some good stuff, you just keep it coming kyte.
On the spawn i recoment something sticking up a bit more , be it spear or a tree or sometihng cimpletly different.
I like the finished boss and i LOVE the paintjob on the wolf. its so kick-ass!
the lil goblin shaman is also fairly nifty Tongue

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Hashut's Blessing - 06-04-2007 04:11 PM

Maybe you could put another mutant elf standing/falling, "walking" in front of the other or standing and aiming, melding into the bow. it's just a little flat and close to the ground otherwise...

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - AGPO - 06-06-2007 06:46 AM

yYou continue to impress sir, well done!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Khaosbeardling - 06-06-2007 10:06 AM

Wow the HG wolf champion looks great, and the Wood Elf spawn looks crazy cool, wish I was that good with greenstuff.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Khan! - 06-06-2007 12:13 PM

That Hobbo boss is pretty frakkin' rad, I'm quite impressed!  I think I agree with Hashut's Blessing, Traitor King and Lord Archaon tho - the spawn is cool but it needs something to get the miniature as a whole off the ground a bit imo.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Ishkur Cinderhat - 06-06-2007 12:41 PM

That wolf looks great - so much more paint work invested here than I did with my wolves. But it really pays off!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - hobblin - 06-09-2007 09:50 PM

Kyte could we have another group shot with every CD thing you have ,please the first group shot was sooooo cool so can we have another.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:03/06/07) - Kyte - 06-10-2007 03:45 AM

hobblin Wrote:
Kyte could we have another group shot with every CD thing you have ,please the first group shot was sooooo cool so can we have another.

I could probably fix that with some new update showing everything painted and unpainted for you.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - Kyte - 06-24-2007 09:37 AM

As alwaya, I'm a bit late with my updates, but I've passed all my exams (4 A's and 1 A+ 8) ) And been to the Cazeh Republic (once again, this time with my class).

I have done a lot while home though...

First is the probably awaited painted unit of Wolf Riders:

Pretty satisfied with how they turned out, and I have another unit ready for priming. Most people will probably notice that there's only 5 models, and I need 10 for a full unit, but I'm usually allowed to field them in units of 5 in friendly games, as that is more fair.

Another thing is my BSB:

I don't know why the pic is so bad, but you get the idea... Looks a bit messy with the mixed green and brown stuff, but paint will solve that.
PS: Don't expect6 this painted soon, I have plenty of Hobbos on my list before this guy... He's just been WIP since mid January and now he's done.

This is a bit of an experiment:

Please note that the wolves in this pic will have riders on them, so I'll have to get some more wolves or use some other creatures...

This is a hobgoblin chariot for friendly games and if I use my hobs as an all goblin army. It's made from plasticard, thick wire and greenstuff. The crewmen are just proxies, they'll all have bows when finished.

Last but not least is a guy I picked up dirt cheap in Czecc republic:

Somebody had bought a goblin hero just for the axe, and left the rest in the czech shop's bits box, and I bought it for £1,70 or something. The big gun is made from an empire gun with a knife from a skaven ninja thingy. I don't really need him for my army, but he was cheap and will serve as a memory of a wonderful trip...

That's all for now.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - angryboy2k - 06-24-2007 09:47 AM

Kyte, the side view of that Bull Centaur is fantastic! The lines are so smooth and organic. Did you sculpt him from scratch?
Love it!

Steve

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - Kyte - 06-24-2007 11:51 AM

angryboy2k Wrote:
Kyte, the side view of that Bull Centaur is fantastic! The lines are so smooth and organic. Did you sculpt him from scratch?
Love it!

Not entirely from scratch... The back of the dwarf-part is from a skull pass dwarf, and there's a toy-horse inside the bull centaur, but it was just for the propotions, and is completely covered except for the hooves.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - hal - 06-25-2007 09:23 AM

The BC is really good, but I think the Goblin with the gun-almost-too-big-for-him-to-carry steals it.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - The Flying Beaver - 06-25-2007 09:56 AM

You never cease to astound, Kyte. Awesome stuff.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - Xander - 06-25-2007 10:03 AM

Excellent work my friend!  Your army is really coming along!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - AGPO - 06-26-2007 06:07 AM

All awesome, but I love the Chariot best! I'm gonna do a darklands greenskin army as followers of the Chaos Dwarfs (a client warboss if you will) and this is exactly the type of thing I intend to go with it.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - The Slaver - 06-26-2007 07:05 AM

Awsome Awsome Awsome! those hobgobs are fantastic. Your boss puts mine to shame!(ill post pictures soon! he's all painted, along with a handful of hobgobs and my two CD socrecors) I have to agree that wolf riders are a superb bit of tactical might. Fast cav was always a thorn in my side when i played stunties, so now ill fight fire with fire! Veyr nicely done Kyte. You should be proud.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - Kyte - 06-30-2007 08:10 AM

Later today, I'm leaving for 2 weeks of holiday in france...

So I'm updating my blog for you now.

Do you remember my Mechanical Taurus?

Damn that rider isn't worthy as the ultimate army general, is it? And what a lousy flame thrower it has? And what's that stick on it's back for?

As you can see, I've made a more dramatic rider for it. He is made from some dwarf special character. I am especially happy with the experimental mask and the weapons he've got.
The banner is made from paper with a Hashut-rune made from thin card. I've also made a head at the end of the flame thrower. I'm gonna paint it soon.

Do you think the great skull should be red or gold?

I've also painted the shooter:

Nothing much to say. Pretty easy to paint, but it turned out great IMO.

Last and least is the second wolf rider unit:

I'll paint these right after the taurus, and tyhen move on to a unit of hobbo archers.

Thanks and happy holidays

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - bandnerd1892 - 06-30-2007 12:53 PM

Looks great!! I would probably paint the skull a variation of dark reds. I'd also like to see a larger/more detailed banner on the back of it. If this is your general/center piece of your army, I'd really want it to stand out, and i think a banner would really be the icing on the cake.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - Khan! - 06-30-2007 01:29 PM

Kyte, your stuff just keeps getting better!  I like your use of the anvil of doom guy, that's always been a model that I thought was better than the anvil deserved.  In terms of the skull, I also vote that it should be red.  Imo gold is better in small quantities, like as an accent to other colours, and would just overpower the rest of the mini if it were used on the skull.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - Ghrask Dragh - 06-30-2007 03:25 PM

Yes I also think gold works better in small amounts.
I really like the face and beard sculpt on this guy. This model would make a great centrepiece and based on the rest of this blog I think you've got an award winning army, originality in all its glory!! Takes Hat off

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - AGPO - 07-01-2007 11:57 AM

I tend to leave the key features on a mini until I've painted all the boring bits in my army clour scheme, then decide whihc colour would complement it/make it stand out most. Of course as this piece is so different this may not be the greatest piece of advice

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - Xander - 07-02-2007 09:28 PM

Looking sweet man!  Can't wait for those Hobgoblin Wolfriders.  I am thinking of doing something very similar to them.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - Kyte - 07-14-2007 07:29 AM

bandnerd1892 Wrote:
I would probably paint the skull a variation of dark reds.

With "a variation of dark reds", do you mean like on my hero on foot's cloak, my hobgoblin cloaks or my Bull centaur's internal red glow?

There is also a gnoblog on a skaven forum called "Rise of the hell rats" with a red/black colour scheme, thet reminds me of the song, "Secret Journey" by the Police.

I really like thet song, so that scheme might be a valid choice.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - hal - 07-15-2007 01:10 PM

Really good paint job Kyte, what colours did you use for the skin?

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - Kyte - 07-18-2007 06:17 AM

hal Wrote:
Really good paint job Kyte, what colours did you use for the skin?

The hobgob's?

Basecoat: Scorpion Green
Wash: Green and Brown ink
Highlight: Scorpion Green
Second Highlight: Scorpion Green and Bleached Bone
Third Highlight: Bleached Bone

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:30/06/07) - Kyte - 07-27-2007 11:00 AM

blablabla... I'm back... Delayed... Blablabla Same as always...

Anyways, I've been home from holiday for a little more than a week now, and being off for just a week has made me do a lot.

I have, as most of you clicked on this thread to see, painted my taurus:

Pretty happy with it as it is. The white skull might look striking, but I tried many colours, but non worked better. The rider is one of my favourite parts.

I have also converted a unit of warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields.

Not much to say. The banner was nicked from a guy called snotling on the chaos dwarf forums, The shield symbold were made by printing lots of them out on a sheet of thin card and then cutting them out and gluing them to the shields.

Last but not least, Please take a look at my avatar. You probably remember the old hero model. I think he's awful. Simply awful! Look at the hooves!When were it ever cool with hooves for a dwarf? The pose is also kind of lame. The mechanical arm, was shorter than the normal and like 2,5 timed thicker! The axe shaft also looks too thin to support the huge axe head, and he could in no way lift that axe with one hand anyway!

Nothing else to do! I stripped him and completely reconverted him!

That's what I call a dwarf! He reminds me a bit of a dark elf black gurd, which is good because they are wonderful sculpts.

What do you think? It is better, right?

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:27/07/07) - Xander - 07-27-2007 11:19 AM

He looks awesome! As do your warriors!  Well done, Sir!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:27/07/07) - Canix - 07-27-2007 11:43 AM

The Taurus looks great  ready to burn those trees,also prefer the new hero look .Alot of work to do him twice but worth it when he looks twice as niceTakes Hat off

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:27/07/07) - Arashi - 07-27-2007 12:58 PM

I love that "taurus", I can completely see the rampage and the bloodbath it would produce! I can also see that you have used some inspiration from others on that fantastic unit (mainly using the rune of Hashut on the shield like my CD, as well as snotlings BB banner.
And is that really the same guy as in your avatar?!? :0 No way! The new hero looks even more badass though. I hope I can see it painted soon ^^

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:27/07/07) - hobblin - 07-27-2007 07:45 PM

Nice taruse Kyte , but you forgot to put things on to make it look like it can fly!Or dose it magicly fly if so my bad still great work.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:27/07/07) - Kyte - 07-28-2007 05:56 AM

hobblin Wrote:
Nice taruse Kyte , but you forgot to put things on to make it look like it can fly!Or dose it magicly fly if so my bad still great work.

I don't know how it can fly, but I figure that it can either teleport, or simply buldose it's way through terrain. About the 360 line of sight, have you ever been sitting in a wheelchair? It's easy as hell to turn around.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kyte - 08-11-2007 03:48 PM

11. August 2007

The time has come. I finished elementary school before the summer holiday, and tomorrow, I'll begin at a new continuation school. This means, that I'll have to stay at the school all week, and only be home in weekends. I won't bring any models until I've found out if any of my new schoolmates do warhammer. While I'm on this school, I probably won't have much time for warhammer. Not even in the weekends, but I'll be doing plenty of sculpting and painting in the countless arts lessons (nothing warhammer related though) because this is mostly an art/acting school.

I will still be able to check these forums once a day, but this blog might be a bit quiet. I will update it once in a while though, but prpbably not once every second week, as I do now.

So I'll leave you with pics of the painted hero on foot:

As you can see, he's better than the old one. He's not as tall, and all the stuff they have in common is improved. I will probably have an avater made with this in the next few days.

Here's an old pic for reference:

I actually painted the new hero a week ago, but I kept it because I wanted to show my new warrior unit painted, but I've had other things to do, so you'll have to wait... There's more to life than wargaming.

I have done some more though. My local hobby store had a 50+% off all blisters sale last week, and I bought a few models: A runesmith, an engeneer, a branchwraith and 2 banshees that I got for free.
I didn't really need any of these models, and I have models enough for at least 2500pts, but I really liked the models, and if I ever expand to 3000pts, and if CDs will have an option for an engeneer-type character when they get a new book, I'll be ready. I did cheat though, because every list could do with a bit of variation.

So I made the runesmith into a BSB on foot to use if I don't want a Bull centaur BSB:

I really love this runesmith model, and at £2, who could ever refuse? It's so cool, and the CD hat makes him even cooler. I'm still stuck on what to do with the banner. I'm horrible at freehand, and I don't want to practice on this model, end of discussion. But I was thinking of printing out a cool CD image on printable tatoo transfers for kids. Do you think this would work? Has anyone tried it? With a coat of varnish, it shouldn't rub off, should it? As for critic, the model is still WIP, and I might redo the beard.

Last, and completely out of nowhere, I recently decided to do a water baloon trebuchet, and I did a 28mm trial model to test the design:

It's not for any army, but it's cool, and If I ever do a bret army (Why not, I have the models), I can easily do a couple of these.
After assambling a hellcannon and a scraplauncher, I actually found this whole thing quite easy to do. Took me about 2,5 hours from balsa to finished.

Please note that it isn't painted.

So with these words I leave you for at least 2 weeks without an update.

Bye

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Lord Darkash - 08-11-2007 08:36 PM

Awesome stuff here. definately prefer the the new hero conversion, shame you didn't keep the other guy as well though!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kyte - 08-12-2007 04:34 AM

Lord Darkash Wrote:
Awesome stuff here. definately prefer the the new hero conversion, shame you didn't keep the other guy as well though!

Thanks, but I couldn't keep the old one, as I needed the bits to make the new one.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Undeadninjas - 08-12-2007 05:45 AM

You might consider an effigy of a chaos dwarf lord, Hashut, Bull Centaur or something else  to use on the banner. You could sculpt that pretty easily and it wouldn't look too bad. As for the army, I'd be honored to play against something that looked that awesome.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kyte - 08-12-2007 05:49 AM

Undeadninjas Wrote:
As for the army, I'd be honored to play against something that looked that awesome.

If you live anywhere close to Copenhagen, Denmark, that could be easily arranged.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - clam - 08-13-2007 09:38 AM

The new lord is awesome too, though sad to hear you had to let the old one goSad The BSB is great too. The Banner is a little imperialistic for my liking!

And good luck with your new school. Hope your find some WFB-friends and you'll still get the time for some playing/painting/conversion. Keep us posted!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Undeadninjas - 08-13-2007 11:19 PM

Kyte Wrote:

Undeadninjas Wrote:
As for the army, I'd be honored to play against something that looked that awesome.

If you live anywhere close to Copenhagen, Denmark, that could be easily arranged.

Thanks

- Kyte

I don't think California's all that close... but if I'm ever in the area...

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - The Evil Twin - 08-15-2007 04:04 AM

the new lord is muth beter now...Takes Hat off and the bsb is yust fantasticCheers! good work man

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Xander - 08-16-2007 02:45 PM

Your sculpting continues to improve, but I still think those lips are a bit oversized.

Keep on rocking!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kyte - 08-21-2007 04:03 AM

I'm here again. Thanks for the new avatar. On friday, I can look at all the new topics here. Damn, I miss these forums a lot...

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - torn - 08-21-2007 07:06 AM

i think the hat on the new hero looks cool, its a shame to lose the mechanical hand though, was something different.

i liked the BSB as well

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Xander - 08-21-2007 01:55 PM

We've missed you Kyte!  Good to have you (almost) back!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kyte - 08-30-2007 08:26 AM

Hello everybody. I have no new pics today, but I had a dream last night featuring Xander, so I thought that this was the right place to post it. It was a pretty strange dream, because it was in english, which is strange because I'm danish...

The dream started at a party at my new school, with everybody dancing and having fun, but then suddenly there was a flash of light and everybody were turned into stone. I was wearing sunglasses, and therefore weren't affected. Then a phone booth started ringing, and I picked it. It was Xander telling me, that I had been chosen to save the world from eternal petrification. In order to save the world, I had to get all the old GW undead mummy models and convert them into a squad of 40k traitor guardsmen. This was pretty hard to do, as I didn't have any mummies, neither did I have any guardsman bits or converting supplies, and I couldn't mail order the bits, as the GW personal had also been turned to stone.
So I had to go to GWHQ to get the bits, and I had to go there by bige, because I have no drivers licence. Luckily, there was ice on the see, so I could bike from Denmark to England and go to GWHQ, which was a great fortress. I had to break in to the storage and find the box with the mummies and guardsman bits, but that's ilegal, so the police came to arrest me. And we're talking the band, not the real police. I am a great fan of the police, and I told them to let me steal the mummies and save the world, but they wanted a proof that I was a real fan, and I didn't bring my LP record and single collection, so it was pretty hard to do. In the end, I succeeded in convincing them by playing "Message in a Bottle" on the bass while singing. (I can actually do that), and the police were so impressed that they gave me a hitch back to my house in Denmark, so I could convert the got damn mummies. When the mummies were converted, I painted them up and posted pitures of them in this blog for Xander to see. Then Xander posted a reply, that he would come and check if they were actually mine, or just some pics I found on CMoN. When Xander arrived, I realized that he was actually David Schwimmer (WTF?) and he broke the curse, and he helped me rebase my chaos dwarf army with bases, that looked like Ishkurs.

So guess what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna rebase my army. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - catbarf - 08-30-2007 09:20 AM

Did you get really high before going to bed? That is one of the most fucked-up things I've heard in weeks Big Grin

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kobarf - 08-30-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:
When Xander arrived, I realized that he was actually David Schwimmer (WTF?)

Okay this one really made me laugh!!
I thought your basing style was quite original so why change it? Not every cd army has to be based black ashes and lava..

Kobarf

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Dracomancer - 08-30-2007 12:43 PM

catbarf Wrote:
Did you get really high before going to bed? That is one of the most fucked-up things I've heard in weeks Big Grin

Must be something in the water over in Denmark... Sick Tongue

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kyte - 08-31-2007 09:50 AM

Nope, I didn't get high. I don't even smoke...

Maybe I should reconsider the rebasing then.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Canix - 08-31-2007 01:14 PM

Dreams are cool if you keep a dream diary you will find yourself dreaming things that are to come not just things that are past or current( Try it if you dont believe me,a couple of months should do it) .If you cant remember your dreams try drinking glass of water before you sleep this should help waking in mid dream and take diary to the loo to fill in while you can remember.LOL Respect to the Hat!

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Kyte - 08-31-2007 01:37 PM

Canix Wrote:
Dreams are cool if you keep a dream diary you will find yourself dreaming things that are to come not just things that are past or current( Try it if you dont believe me,a couple of months should do it) .If you cant remember your dreams try drinking glass of water before you sleep this should help waking in mid dream and take diary to the loo to fill in while you can remember.LOL Respect to the Hat!

Cool, I will try that. Especially on my continuation school, where I don't have warhammer to do...

About the rebasing, it wouldn't work well. I find that my current basing works well to brighten up my quite dark colour scheme.

I'm also working on a converted marauder bazooka team conversion.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - The Evil Twin - 09-05-2007 02:05 PM

by the gods make thos mumitraitors befor the world is going under!!!Big Grin

glad that ther is still some humans that have crasyer dreams then me Takes Hat off

RE: [08-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Rumi - 10-16-2007 06:50 AM

May I ask how this marauder conversion is coming along? just read through you're blog and well done on getting such a great looking high point total army for so cheap. Only thing that I don't really like is the hogob bosses wolf, something is off. The fur maybe? I know you did it ages ago but I just read through you're blog as a whole Happy I agree with you on the bases. Although the bases you have at the moment look quite original and individual (in a good way, not a patronising way) On a table top that would look even more out of place than ash bases.

RE: [08-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - AGPO - 10-16-2007 08:07 AM

All us bassists are crazy, glad to hear you're a fan of the police too! Takes Hat off

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Kyte - 10-21-2007 01:45 PM

Sunday October 21st:

I find it embarrassing that I haven't posted for months. Many people might even have forgotten the blog.

But at my new school, I can't do any warhammer, but That doesn't matter. I can do what I want when I'm home on weekends.

Since summer, I've done a bit of stuff.

PS: And yes. 2 guys at the school play warhammer. My roomie plays Chaos (Tzeentch like me, but mortals) and another guy plays Empire. We decided not to bring any models though, because we found it too nerdy, but enough of that. On to the pics:

Oh... Before the pics, I'll just say that I brought my army and some random stuff to a thing called Giant Fanatic a couple of weeks ago, it's a kind of Danish Games Day, and I talked to some old Golden Daemon Winners (Tue Kaae and Jacob Nielsen). They really liked my Daemon prince, and they kept it in their showcase for like an hour! Woohoo!

First up is my painted warriors with shields. I think the fire on the standard turned out great. It's made of toilet paper soaked in superglue. It's an effect, that's very easy to aquire and it looks really good:

I have also made a new Sorceror. I My roomie, went to Giant Fanatic also, and we had a game there, and I realized that fire magic isn't enough, so I made a Metal Sorceror from an engeneer that I brought  a long time ago. I really like the gass-mask and the steampunk look. The bull-staff is going to be painted like marble.

I also made a Chaos Dwarf Bazooka team. This unit doesn't exist anymore, but they did back in 3rd edition:

This is the most interesting part of the update, a scratch-built Chaos Dwarf Juggernaut Siege Engine. The real model for this thing is probably one of the rarest of all GW models. It goes for like £2-300! Youch! Of course I wouldn't buy such one. I wouldn't even buy forgeworld rhinox riders, you know. The thing is made from plasticard, greenstuff, balsa, brownstuff and a lot of bits. All the levels and the 4 crewmen as well as the slave ogre are detachable for easier painting. The gun sticking out of its eues is a CSM Heavy Bolter. The crossbowmen aren't converted yet, and my favourite crewman is the gunner (The fat guy with the tool strapped to his belt:

Last and least, I went to a Police Reunion Concert back in september, and guess who caught Stewart Copeland's Drumstick! I mean what's the odds? A year and a half ago, I went to a Sting concert and I caught his plectrum, and a month after the police drumstick, I went to a concert with a Danish band called Nephew, and I also caught that drumstick. Either musicians hate me and throw things me on purpose, or I'm just very lucky!
Anyway here's a pic of the relic of Stewart Copeland. It's even signed!

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Hammerhand - 10-21-2007 02:01 PM

You have so many cool things in your army, I would just love to see the whole lot when it's finished (unless it's one of those never ending project things!)

This just looks so awesome, a great centre piece

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:11/08/07) - Willmark - 10-21-2007 02:29 PM

Xander Wrote:
Your sculpting continues to improve, but I still think those lips are a bit oversized.

Keep on rocking!

I'm with you Xander. This sculpting is amazingly awesome, the lips not so much. Need to be scaled down a tad IMHO.

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Kyte - 10-21-2007 02:35 PM

Hammerhand Wrote:
unless it's one of those never ending project things!

Well, that's kind of my way of doing warhammer...

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Canix - 10-21-2007 03:38 PM

I love the jugger good work that deserves some slaves (here you go)Takes Hat offthe sorcerer looks great too perhaps your CD wear lip plates like that african tribeEvil idea
Woah with your luck at concerts somebody may be telling you to let the musician outRespect to the Hat!

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Sigose - 10-21-2007 03:43 PM

Ok ya gota do us a small favor and do some video tutorials sometime for all your kick ass models here. =o

~Sigose

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - minty - 10-21-2007 04:45 PM

for the rocket, you could use my bazooka rules for it

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Rumi - 10-22-2007 05:13 AM

Bloody awesome stuff you got there, I personanly like 3rd edition models and to see you make some BFSP into a bazooka team is legendary! Also good to see your thread up and running, been reading through all the major threads and wasn't sure what was happening and to see some new suff from you is great! bugger that you're in a school which thinks warhammer is nerdy, less pretty pics for us! Keep on making stuff to inspire us all kyte Happy

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Snotling - 10-22-2007 12:35 PM

yeehaa, finally something more of your work! the sorcerer is the coolest ever, especially the backpack. yep, i think they are enough opportunities for that ^^

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - MrDw - 10-22-2007 02:52 PM

You make wonderful madness.

Seeing the bazooka wielding dwarf, I couldn't help but think space marine at first. Shock

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Rumi - 10-23-2007 02:01 AM

could we maybe get a group shot? please Happy sorry if heaps of  people have asked you this but I (and probably half the rest of us) really wanna see a whole shot.

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - AGPO - 10-23-2007 06:19 AM

I'm not jealous that you've seen Sting at all... at all...

Really awesome work once again. I may try the rocket conversion

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - clam - 10-23-2007 07:47 AM

Once again awesome work by your hand - KyteTakes Hat off I love your new troopers and that Juggernaut looks promising.
The metal sorcerer looks great - would like to see him painted soon.

And I Think have to steal your bazokka team idea - if you don't mind!

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Kyte - 10-24-2007 07:41 AM

Rumi Wrote:
could we maybe get a group shot? please Happy sorry if heaps of  people have asked you this but I (and probably half the rest of us) really wanna see a whole shot.

I shall see what I can do!

AGPO Wrote:

I saw Sting twice, but I was more impressed with Copeland, actually. Sting's voice is getting old, but Copeland is still one of the fastest drummers I've seen.

clam Wrote:

I will paint him and my other characters soon, and of course you're welcome to steal as many of my ideas as you want.

Thanks for all the kind replies. With that many replies in such few days, you might have missed an update Wink

- Kyte

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Xander - 10-24-2007 07:46 AM

Wow, awesome stuff!  As for rebasing... I think the texture of your bases is good, but I am not a huge fan of the colours.

Keep it up!

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - zagor66 - 10-24-2007 07:51 AM

The kollosouss[spelt right?]is amazing.

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - AGPO - 10-24-2007 11:51 AM

Kyte Wrote:

Rumi Wrote:

I shall see what I can do!

AGPO Wrote:

I saw Sting twice, but I was more impressed with Copeland, actually. Sting's voice is getting old, but Copeland is still one of the fastest drummers I've seen.

clam Wrote:

I will paint him and my other characters soon, and of course you're welcome to steal as many of my ideas as you want.

Thanks for all the kind replies. With that many replies in such few days, you might have missed an update Wink

- Kyte

YEah, but Sting was one of the players who inspired me to take up bass. Technically he is not brilliant but I just love his playing style. Clearly he got a case of string envy though when he took up the lute

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Willmark - 10-25-2007 08:46 AM

Great take on the Juggernaut. I can't wait to do mine in the distant future!

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Kyte - 10-25-2007 11:24 AM

zagor66 Wrote:
The kollosouss[spelt right?]is amazing.

Do you mean the Juggernaut? A Kolossus is a great robot-thing.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [21-10-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Kera foehunter - 10-25-2007 05:15 PM

the juggernaut is cool ..Are you going to put a tall hat on the ogre or a slave collar and chains?

RE: [23-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Kyte - 11-23-2007 03:50 PM

This is like I start all my posts. Long time, delayed, blahblahblah.

As most older members might remember, I usually do something special around Christmas time. Something, that really really gives me some great sculpting and converting practice. 2 Years ago, I made my 3 Rhinox Riders from plastic toys, last year I made a Tzeentch Daemon-Prince from scratch (I still haven't finished it yet... Will I ever?...)

But this year, I will do something that everyone tends to do in these times. I will sculpt and cast something that you will be able to buy! So what do people need? People need Chaos Dwarfs. My intention is to sculpt 3 R&F Troopers with 5 weapon options, a Champion including parts to turn 2 regular troopers into a standard bearer and a musician.

This is what I have done so far:

2 regular troopers and 2 weapons.

I hope to have all the sculpts finished by christmas, where I'll hopefully get the casting materials. I would figure that a pack with 3 troopers and 3 random weapons would be about £4, and the command set including a champion and parts for standard and musician would be £3.

I don't think that would be too expensive, but it will have to pay back the materials, so it can't possibly be done any cheaper.

And by the way, the reason why I don't update is now not just my new school, but I have also started playing in an armateur band. (We play cover songs and metal)

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [23-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Xander - 11-23-2007 04:05 PM

Wow!!  Probably your best sculpting work yet!

Perhaps try to sharpen up those scales!  They look a bit rounded.  They look pretty bulky, pehaps we could have a shot of them next to some other models for comparison?  Also, do they rank up? n.n

I am excited for this!

RE: [23-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - Kera foehunter - 11-24-2007 07:00 AM

That is a sweet idea for the immortals.There faces are perfict!!!!!!

RE: [23-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - gIL^ - 11-24-2007 10:29 PM

im sad they dont have hats, if they had hats i would of bought 40 Sad

could you sculpt 1 of them to have a big hat like the 1 in your avatar and then i will buy 20 including commands group

i need some warriors!!! i hate my sculpting and my rubbish plastic ones

would you ever sculpt another Daemonologist Sorcerer lord and sell a copy?

your work is truly amazing now sell me some immortals!!

is there a waiting time for these immortals?

RE: [23-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - clam - 11-26-2007 06:00 PM

They look great Kyte - I love the shoulderpadsRespect to the Hat! Good luck with the casting. If you succeed - I think I'm gonna buy some - not that they fit into my army, but I want to build a collection of various evil dwarfs/chaos dwarfs as a side project. Keep it upHappy

RE: [23-11-2007] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army - AGPO - 11-27-2007 06:33 AM

Nie work, but make sure they're all your original work - no one else's parts what so ever, not even a hand or a rune. Wouldn't want to see you getting sent down my friend

RE: [11-02-2008] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army and Sculpting Workshop - Kyte - 02-11-2008 11:42 AM

Yet again, I am sorry for the incredibly long waiting time. Most of these sculpts were donr before christmas, but I have been doing a sketch-show at my school, so I left my combi weapon video cam at the school, so I couldn't get pics. Another bad excuse is that I've been on a skiing holiday, which was great by the way.

This pic is for showing my general state of insainty:

All my sculpts, some still discontinued...

I have of course finished the last 2 immortals, along with the command parts:

The Immortals command pack will contain the following parts: champion model body (Pointing hand), Champion weapon (Spiked mace), a banner, a hand weapon, a drum and 2 drumstcks.

The Immortals troopers pack will contain the following parts: 3 bodies (Mask, Bald and Helmet) and 3 weapons (Hammer, Mace and Axe)

All models will come without bases!

I'm not sure on the price yet. Each pack will probably be between £4 and £5.

The casting is going relatively well:

The Casts comes out of the molds with massive mold lines, but they are easily removed. What's annoying me is the air bubbles, that I have filled out with greenstuff in the pics. I can't figure out how to remove them, and before you give advice, I better tell you that these are press-together molds, where I wait for the resin to be half set and then press the molds together.

But if I can't solve the air bubble problem, will you still want to buy the models? I hope so... Please note how much time it takes to fill gaps in GW metal models, so a few bubbles to fill in resin casts isn't a big deal. Still darn annoying though.

Inspired by Kobarf's squig, I made a BSFP-style squig handler team:

And a NG Shaman:

He probably can't read the book, but It's a nice touch, although it's plague monk rip off.

PS: It's hair on the staff, not fire. Speaking of the staff, does anybody have any ideas for bling and details that could be strapped to the staff?

I don't know if I'll cast these... Is anyone interested?

Here's a pic of some kind of commission:

This girl from my school saw my sculpts and drew me a vamp to make. I'm pretty pleased with the sculpt, though I might want to redo the face. She's a Von Carstein, Not a Lahmian.

It's still WIP by the way.

And just to show, The immortals can actually rank up:

It will probably be even easier to rank them up when glued. Right now, they're just balancing on the bases.
The unfinished sculpt will eventually turn into an immortal-style Chaos dwarf lord with a bull mask and triangular scale mail. The hammer will be similar to the one on the painted immortal pic, just a bit bigger and spikier.

That's all for now.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [11-02-2008] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army and Sculpting Workshop - Ishkur Cinderhat - 02-11-2008 12:32 PM

Wow, that's a lot of nice work here! As your molds work the same way as mine, I suggest you use a toothpick to remove the air bubbles from the deeper parts of the moulds before the resin sets and you close them. Just poking around a little usually releases all the trapped air from the details. Other than that the casts seem to come out quite well!

RE: [11-02-2008] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army and Sculpting Workshop - Pyro Stick - 02-11-2008 01:24 PM

I really like the immortal with the helmet and the axe. These are turning out fairly impressive! Im tempted to buy some but ive decided that i have enough warhammer. I will be painting my stash for ages to come so theres no need for me to buy anything new.

RE: [11-02-2008] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army and Sculpting Workshop - Kera foehunter - 02-11-2008 05:19 PM

great work Kyte!! great job on the casting

RE: [11-02-2008] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army and Sculpting Workshop - clam - 02-11-2008 05:29 PM

WOW! Kyte - they are so great Takes Hat off. Hope you solve the air bubble-problem, though it seems easy to repair the damage. And yes - I'm still on for a set of each for my collection of "Chaos Dwarfs" - with or without bubbles.

And for the goblins! Yeah! - just another great job - they look very, very nice Respect to the Hat!

RE: [11-02-2008] Kyte's Chaos Dwarf Army and Sculpting Workshop - Xander - 03-02-2008 11:54 PM

Amazing!  I want to cast my own stuff too! Big Grin  Maybe I will do that for my BBs. Hrm...

RE: [22-03-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kyte - 03-23-2008 04:08 PM

As Promised, I now have pics up of the fishman sculpts I intend to mold cast, sell and use for my own Fishman themed Lizardman army - The followers of Cthulhu*

*(More of that later.)

We'll begin with the boring stuff as always.

Sea Swarms

Beach bases, you see. I tried water bases, where I cut holes in the bases and filled them up with clear resin, but it didn't work well, so I went with beach bases instead

These are already ready for selling. Each pack will contain 2 sprues, each containing:

1 lobster
1 Horseshoe Crab
1 Normal Crab
1 Skeletal Fish
2 Starfish
5 Random sea shells.

The next model was a lot more complex, and I still have to make another one along with an extra set of arms with javelin and shield to cover all weapon options:

Skink (Fishy name yet to be decided)

This one isn't even cast yet. I figure that I'll have to break off the arms and legs and cast them seperately. I think this is far cooler than GW's lizard skinks.

This is going to count as saurus/temple guard in the army:

I will only make this one body, but for the back rankers, I'll make another set of arms to enable them to rank up properly. Should I go for another trident or something else? Command group will not be cast, but I will most certainly convert a fishnet banner like the Komodon Models made by that other company.
The model will be cast like the skink with seperate body, arms and legs.

This is the sculpt I'm most proud of. I went for a Davy Jones like look, but when people see it, they say "Hey! You've made Cthulhu!" And I don't know who Cthulhu is, although a google image search comes up with pictures of a monster with a similar head and hands.

Cthulhu Mage Priest

As it's a very big model, and I only need one to lead my army, I am unsure if I'll cast it. It depends on if there will be anyone buying it. As it's rather big and chucky, it will need a big mold and take a lot of resin, so price would be around £4-5.

It's palanquin (Which neither I nor any of my english teachers have found a way top pronounce) will most likely be a coral overgrown sea muscle shell, and the priest will be sitting on a big pile of dead fish and sea creatures. I have yet to decide if it will be levitating like the current slann or bourne by servants like the old model. I figure that the mage priest wouldn't need to levitate, as it spends most of it's time under water, where the gravity is different.

By the way, does anybody know what those sea shell thingies that sticks to underwater rocks, and that I have added to the belly of the mage priest is called?

And does anyone have a link to the site with pictures of all fishman models made by all companies?

A brief description of What and who Cthulhu is wouldn't be off either.

Thanks all and I look forward to casting all the models. Selling will start this summer, when I've finished school.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [22-03-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - WarplockMonkey - 03-23-2008 04:22 PM

Great work so far Kyte!

The fishamn skink looks great, and so does the saurus!

The shell fish thingys on the Slann's belly are called limpets

And from what i know..Cthulu is some sort of sea god that a cult worships in some game or other..im not quite sure...:S

RE: [22-03-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kera foehunter - 03-23-2008 04:58 PM

I like your sea swarm  if i had some salt and vinegar And a slice of lemon
great job

RE: [22-03-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Hashut's Blessing - 03-24-2008 06:33 PM

If you could solve the bubble problem, I'm even more likely to buy them. As is, I probably will buy your immortals, but not until I can afford them. I like the sea swarms, but unfortunately, have no use for them. Dang it.

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kyte - 04-13-2008 04:09 PM

Hey there! I'm back with more updates:

This time I have been sculpting a pair of Skink Priests:

It's a bit of a messy image, but you get the idea. The interesting thing about these is that they were made as a sculpting project at school.

Also, they are slottabased for better castings.

I have also made a mold for my Saurus, and I'll show pics of the resin casts, when I have a fully assambled unit of 10.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Ishkur Cinderhat - 04-13-2008 04:48 PM

Very nice sculpt! Looks like straight from a 50's movie. And I mean that in the most positive sense. Iä-R'lyeh! Ftaghn! Takes Hat off

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Khan! - 04-13-2008 05:10 PM

Frightening terrors of the outerdark indeed!  Definitely very well done, but I have to ask - why does the deepsea amphibian skink priest have nipples?

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - torn - 04-13-2008 05:13 PM

those skink priests are fantastic. the sculpting is flawless, the detail work is good and the poses are dynamic. professional quality if ive ever seen it!

i cant really say much more than that.

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kera foehunter - 04-13-2008 05:34 PM

wow they are extreamly great !!!

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - minty - 04-13-2008 05:38 PM

it should be illlegal for you to be so goodHappy

excelent work as alwaysHappy

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Knight Of Awsome - 04-13-2008 05:43 PM

How many days did it take you to finish one of the stinks?I like the one holding the ball, I cant wait to see them painted!

Nice jobCheers!

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kyte - 04-14-2008 03:37 AM

Knight Of Awsome Wrote:
How many days did it take you to finish one of the stinks?I like the one holding the ball

I sculpted them both since tuesday last week, but I did do a lot of other stuff. I mainly spent my ceramics lessons sculpting.

I'd say it takes me 3 hours + drying time to finish a skink priest.

Quote:
I cant wait to see them painted!

That'll take a long while. I'm negociating with hasslefree on casting these, but they say that some stuff must be redone for better casting, so if they even buy them, they'll have to produce the minis, which would take a few months. If they don't buy them, I'll resin cast the models myself, and sell them over the internet.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Canix - 04-14-2008 04:55 AM

Loving the cthulu lizardmentypes their very nice .Wish i could get the hang of this sculpting ?casting thing Respect to the Hat!

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - xbullzx - 04-20-2008 04:19 PM

OMG your sculpts are mega i wish i could use green stuff like you (mine are just rubbish Respect to the Mask!)
I carnt wait to see all of those figgers painted.
Also i love those sea lizard men they look sooo better then the real lizard men, Im gonna see if i can make 1 but it will probaly look like a mutant fish man =(SorcererSorcererSorcerer

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - minty - 04-20-2008 05:32 PM

wow, kite's stuff is getting proefesional casting and selling, i am so jelous

me hate you, well not realy, your work is exclent

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - furrie - 04-21-2008 03:03 AM

I hope the casting works. I wish my green was good enough to sell

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Gelli - 04-21-2008 04:50 AM

hey kyte! those immortals look ace and that champion looks so damn cool he could be a lord! Oh and on the buying front what's happening? will you or the shop be selling 'em? Would love to get hold of some of these beautiful minis

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Narflung - 04-21-2008 05:41 AM

Those priests are fantastic. You just keep getting better and better. You have seriously inspired me to keep trying. Thanks mate

RE: [13-04-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Groovy cheetah - 04-21-2008 09:34 AM

nice conversions i like the sorcerer it looks good. not to sure about a CD daemon prince but keep up the good work.

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kyte - 07-08-2008 05:17 PM

I'm Back!

I'm sorry to have neglected Warhammer for the last few Months. Things have been busy at school, but I'm finished now, and I'll now be living at home again, which means that I can update this blog more often.

even though school has taken a lot of time, I have done something to my fishmen.

First is a scale shot that shows the size difference between my skink and Saurus stand ins.

It clearly shows that the saurus is a lot bigger than the Skink.

The next pic is a model I made for fun. It's a Night Goblin Shaman, who has just used a dispel scroll, and is giving the finger to the enemy. I have always wanted such a model.

Please note the tiny frog that's going on his base.

The third pic shows something extreme. Conversions of miniatures that I sculpted myself. That's a bit ironic in my eyes. The standard isn't finished yet. When it's finished, it will probably look like the Cthulhu Icon on the new DE corsairs.

Please post some ideas for the champion. Should I just convert another cast or sculpt an entirely different model?

By the way, would anyone be interested in buying any of these fish-saurus?

This is a picture of my 3rd and last Skink priest. It's meant to look like it's meditating.

Don't know if I should make him levitate or not. I think he looks more cute than deadly though.

This last pic is the main deal of the update. It's a so Called Behemoth Crab:

¨These guys will stand in as Kroxigors in my army. This cast had a major air bubble in the middle of the body, but I fixed it with some greenstuff. The Crab model comes in a sprue of 28 parts:

1 body
2 big claws
2 lower claw "fingers"
2 "Arms"
8 Mid leg sections
8 End Leg Sections
3 pairs Joints for claws and arms, of which you only need one pair, but you can make more varied poses with the different pairs. There's small, medium and large. I used medium in the pic.

I will avoid those big air bubbles in the casts i sell. I just didn't want to throw away the first cast made in the mold.

A crab will be £5, but it will include both a crab sprue and one Sea swarm sprue.

Thats all for now.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte\'s Armies and Sculpts - Kera foehunter - 07-09-2008 05:28 AM

Wow that so cool i like the crab  kyte

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Hashut's Blessing - 07-09-2008 07:42 PM

It's all looking good! Maybe for the champion, give him a different weapon, some spines (like a Lionfish) and/or a manta-ray like head... Just some ideas for you. Overall, everything looks good. the sculpting work on everything is exquisite and the crab is even more outstanding. I'm half-tempted to get one, but would have no use for it and no reason for it (not to metnion, I have no money). Excellent work!

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Ishkur Cinderhat - 07-10-2008 06:36 AM

Wow the crab is really cool. And I totally agree with HB in that your sculpting is very exquisite. I am looking forward to seeing how this project will progress. Takes Hat off

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Xander - 07-10-2008 08:16 AM

Your skills keep improving, which is awesome.  I love that meditating guy, I would definitely make him levitate, and maybe even sit him on a mini Slann platform of sorts. Hehe.

Excellent work!

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Hrothgar Goldgreed - 07-10-2008 02:27 PM

You don't happen to cast that awesome Goblin with his middlefinger up? Happy

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kyte - 07-10-2008 05:38 PM

Hrothgar Goldgreed Wrote:
You don't happen to cast that awesome Goblin with his middlefinger up? Happy

I won't, but if a company offers to produce it for me, I'll let you know.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - adriaan - 07-12-2008 12:18 PM

you make great stuff man!
i realy love your cd army, and i like the fishes to!
You are a greenstuff genius to give it a name.
Make more stuff and keep up the good work!
a3aan

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - jester - 08-23-2008 02:53 AM

i love your work mate keep it up

EDIT: how about if you make like a giant octopus feeding on demons and have it with little fish spawning out of his tentacles?

Please do not double-post. ~Hashut's Blessing

RE: [08-07-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kyte - 08-23-2008 06:21 AM

jester Wrote:
how about if you make like a giant octopus feeding on demons and have it with?

I'm not sure what you mean about little fish spawning out of his tentacles, but A Kraken (Giant Octopus) is deffinately in the pipeline.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [26-08-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kyte - 08-26-2008 02:13 PM

As always I'm back after a while with new models for you to look at. I don't have much else to say except that everything's going okay, though I'm dying from missing my old bording school, now when I'm home again. Also, Troll Forged Miniatures (http://www.trollsforge.com/) has offered to cast all my fishman greens (Except for the ones I already cast myself).

This month's update includes:

Behemoth Crab Unit 1&2:

Unit 1:

Unit 2:

This shows how much diversion you can make with the Behemoth Crab Kit. These were all cast in resin by me. As said earlier, they will be used as Kroxigors in a Lizardman Army, and Behemoth Crabs in the experimental Fishman rules found in the rules developement section.

I've also made another Deep One/Skink:

Pretty much like the old one. Just another pose. I'll make Javelin/Shield options for both sculpts later on.

I've also edited the meditating Cthulhu Priest, so that it now has a tail, and is levitating due to the trance:

I think it now has a lot more character, and is nothing like any other model out there... I think it will only be available in a Deal including a bunch of Fishmen, but I could be wrong... We haven't decided yet.

Another long expected model is the Cthulhu High Priest, or Slann on Foot:

It's meant to look like it's casting a spell. I'll make another one on a Leviathan (Sea Dragon) but later on. Please note the staff, and the fact that it's the same design as the staves of all my Cthulhu Priests.

This is by Far my pride and joy of mu sculpts so far. It's my first mointed model, and the first mounted model to be released by Troll Forged Miniatures, I present you - Cthulhu Priest on Skyray:

The ray is completely smooth IRL, and has been filed with a dremel tool. I really hope that Lizardman characters will get the option of a Terradon Mount in the next edition of the book, otherwise people will have to use the rules for that Laustria Special Character, The Oracle of Kroak or make some house rules. A Priest on a Skyray is indeed a valid option in the unofficial fishman book.

Last and probably least is a little WIP, A Man O' War:

I had to include a scale picture for you. This bugger is going to be Huge. When finished, it will look much like a cross between a Portuguese Man O' War and a Tyranid Spore Mine. It will be cast in Clear resin, to make it look more jelly fishy.
In Lizardman Armies, it could be a Salamander (Long thin near invisible tentacles for the flaming attack) Or indeed as a Man O' War in the unofficial Fishman List

Coming next is the finished Man O' War, Sea Swarms Mk2, a Winged Cthulhu Priest and some Ray'ders (Terradon Riders)

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [26-08-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Xander - 08-27-2008 12:07 AM

Wicked stuff.  Awesome!  Well done Kyte. =)

Also, check your profile to add your flag, check my sig!

RE: [26-08-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Father Grumpmas - 08-27-2008 12:46 AM

I know you like making your own minis (and very good they are too) but have you seen this new undead crab from Reaper?

RE: [26-08-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Kera foehunter - 08-27-2008 05:55 AM

Omg  kick *ss manta ray !!!! that is so cool  kyte!!!

RE: [26-08-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - wallacer - 08-27-2008 04:28 PM

Love the mounted guy on the ray.
That Crab unit also looks great.

RE: [26-08-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Liam - 08-28-2008 05:19 PM

Wow you stuff is AMZINGLY good!

RE: [26-08-2008] Kyte's Armies and Sculpts - Hashut's Blessing - 08-28-2008 07:12 PM

First of all, many, many congratulations on landing the job and I'd like you to know, that I believe it is really well deserved.

Secondly, everything is looking really good. I'm tempted to collect the fishmen army (having seen the list) and use it with friends, but I guess I'll wait until I can afford one first Wink I love the change to the priest Big Grin Looks brilliant and I quite agree that it's unlikely any other model has that sort of personality... I particularly like the addition of thre tail. Seems to complete it and define he is floating Big Grin (other than the fact he's not on the floor Big Grin )

I love the high Priest on foot, but it might be best to have some sort of magical flux of some kind in his hand, to strengthen that. Othwerwise, it may be mistaken that he's trying to look like a ninja with a spear-stance, if that makes sense?

I'm abso-sodding-lutely loving the skyray, but particularly its rider and even more so the guy's position! Very well done! Keep it up...

Man O' War is coming along nicely. Will it have frills around the edge of the "bulb"? Any detailing on the tentacles? Also, will the tentacles be clear as well or not? (If so, I think I'd ink them or paint them, makes it look a little different Big Grin )

That undead crab is quite cool. I like the fact it's hollow inside as it would be Big Grin

RE: [07-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 12-07-2008 12:10 PM

As always: Kliché. Long Time No See. I've been busy with school, and I lost my camera, but now things are fixed.

I got the castings of the first batch of sculpts fack from Troll Forged Miniatures, and I've got to say that they're extremely well cast. No vague details (Like AoW)! No Huge Gaps (Like Gamezone)! And NO NO NO annoying air bubbles (Like my own casts!) You really have no excuse for not buying these sculpts, unless of course, you don't want a fishman themed Lizardman army...

So now I've painted the four priests, and they can finally be released! Muahahahaha! I can finally call myself a Profesional Sculptor now. 2 years ago, I started sculpting my first full sculpt, and now I'm getting stuff released. I can't believe it! They should be up on the main website in a couple of days, but if you really can't wait, I guess you can just mail the management.

Anyway, check out http://www.trollsforge.com for a bunch of lovely models!

In case younger members do not remember my first full sculpt from 2 years ago, let me remind you of what it looked like at this time, two years ago:

But here are the new pics:

Priest on Ray:

Not much to say. I went for a realistic black/white pattern look for the ray.

High Priest

The High Priest was a blast both to put together and to paint. I think the red veins really makes him stand out, as they contrast the green skin very well!

Priest with orb:

Painted exactly like the other priest, although this one is my favourite of the Lesser Priests. I wanted to paint the ball as a pearl, but that proved too hard, so it ended up as a palantir-type orb. Guess it's ok.

Priest with Staff:

My First Cthulhu Priest, and also very cool. Not much to say painting-wise either.

And what's that? WOOOW! Extweeeme! It's a prewiev of the sculpts I'll post up soon! Maybe even tomorrow or the day after!

During December, I'll be updating regularly, showing progress, as I paint the next sculpts, along with refreshing the old Daemon Prince updates around their given aniversaries. All that's left now, is just to say Merry Christmas and thanks

- Kyte

RE: [07-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Willmark - 12-07-2008 01:10 PM

Awesome update Dude! Can we get some evil dwarfs?!?!?!?!?

RE: [07-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Fridericus_Rex - 12-07-2008 01:38 PM

So nice! Love all the Cthulhu miniatures Cheers!

RE: [07-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kera foehunter - 12-07-2008 01:44 PM

i like the shark guy!!!love the lesser priest too

RE: [07-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 12-08-2008 01:13 PM

Thanks for the comments. I'm really busy with school at the moment, but I'll try to get a little painted as well.

@Willmark:
There aren't really any plans for me to do more Chaos Dwarfs, but since I've always loved the evil little fatties, Some more will probably be done sometime down the road.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [07-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - centauro enano - 12-08-2008 07:06 PM

I would like to wish you luck with your project (Troll forge miniatures), from personal experience that it requires dedication and work that goes into it a welcome and encourage. centauro enano Takes Hat off

RE: [07-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Xander - 12-09-2008 02:54 PM

Now that you are professional you can afford a BETTER CAMERA! O_O Tongue

Awesome stuff, Kyte, you should be very proud of your accomplishments! Happy

RE: [11-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 12-11-2008 05:20 PM

I know it's really really strange to see me update this blog twice one week now, when the latest tendency has been more like one update every second month, but I just felt like updating.

With the rumored major Saurus Boost in the upcoming Lizardman Book, I have been focusing on producing some decent sausus substitudes. The big Deep One, I had originally made was simply dreadful, so I made some proper Shark Headed Dagons in stead.

Here are the pics:

This was the first Dagon I made. It's based on a common great white shark. There's not much to say except that it did have a tail, but I removed it, as it looked better without it, and it made them really easy to rank up, which is a good thing for models, which will be released.

Here's the second one I made:

With this one, I want crazy and based it on a Hammerhead Shark for diversity. I think it looks really cool, and has become my personal favourite of the lot.

The third and last normal Dagon Warrior:

It's based on a Tiger Shark, and will have it's back made thicker, as it's way too thin right now. Despite holding his weapons in a more heroic way than the two others, he is NOT a unit champion. I'll make a seperate model for that. I threw in a size comparision pic of the first dagon and a real Saurus Warrior to show how much bigger and more badass the Dagons look.

The kit will include an array of different bits:

Still haven't finished the banner, with about 100 knots, which will have to be sculpted seperately, it's a slow and boring process not worthy of more than a job done using leftover greenstuff from more important sculpting. All arms, weapons and shields are seperate and interchangable, so that you can really make a lot of different Dagon Models.

The Basic Dagon Pack will include:

3 Different Bodies
3 Different Left Arms
3 Different Right Arms
4 Different Tridents
4 Different Crab-Carapace Shields
4 Different Hand Weapons

The soon to be finished Dagon Command Upgrade Pack will include:

1 Dagon Champion Body
1 Dagon Champion Trident
1 Dagon Champion Hand Weapon
1 Dagon Champion Crab-Carapace Shield
1 Fishnet Banner
1 Coral Horn

Future plans include Trench Guard with ornamental loincloths, scalemail and huge shoulderpads, a multipart "Dagon Hero on Foot and Mounted" sat, and Giant Lobster Riders. These are far of so far though, as I'll need to do a Stegadon equivalent first. Ideas include a gigantic alligator snapping turtle with a shipwreck howda and optional Cthulhu Statue Altar and preaching Priest for EotG stand in.

And here's another priest. This one has wings (Cloak of Feathers):

I'm not entirely satisfied with the hands, and the fact that they'll be a pitch to cast doesn't help it. I might cut them off and make him hold a scythe or a staff or something. The problem with adding a weapon would be that he's lose a lot of the mage-ness. I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, and I also forgot the repost of how the Daemon Prince looked 2 years ago:

I must say it was pretty creepy looking at the time. Behold! Here comes the Anatosaurus-Duck thingy of doom with antenae!

Due to hard studying and KILLER physics and math assignments, I haven't had much time to paint, but with a weekend without any parties coming up and me having done almost all my homework till christmas, there's a good chance you'll see painted Behemoth Crabs and assambled deep ones sooner than you think.

Thanks and merry christmas

- Kyte

RE: [11-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kera foehunter - 12-11-2008 05:26 PM

GREAT JOB !! love the shark they are too cool
i realy like the hammer head!

RE: [11-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Fridericus_Rex - 12-12-2008 09:01 AM

o.O i think i'll have to order some of the sharks and i hope you'll cast the winged priest...Rolleyes:

RE: [11-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - tjub - 12-12-2008 10:04 AM

Simply love your work!

RE: [11-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Hashut's Blessing - 12-12-2008 11:34 AM

*jaw drop o' doom!*

Since doom means judgement, I'll reiterate. SODDING AWESOME! Apologies for the n00bosity there.

It seems I may have to buy several of these, purely for my beastmen army as a water-based contingent (I'm having more than just goats. I'll have some skaven and lizardmen in the army too Wink ). I LOVE hammerhead sharks Tongue Maybe have a character or unit champion or something as a basking shark. Or even the musician could be Tongue

RE: [24-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 12-24-2008 06:54 AM

So came Christmas, and I intend to keep the "More Frequent Updates" Style! I have now painted the Behemoth Crabs and the first Deep Ones, so now, they can be released from Troll Forged Miniatures Too!

First up is the Behemoth Crab Unit Pack:

Then here is the Single Crab Blister Pack:

You can sure say that these are Multipart Models! Each Crab contains a massive 26 parts, which allows you to create dozens of poses! They were also a blast to paint! Since summer, I've been wanting to use the sponging technique on the carapaces to get a really realistic look to the models, while still keeping my Cartoonish painting style.

Here are the Deep Ones:

Full image:
( http://i42.tinypic.com/14iiyis.jpg )

Each Set of 2 includes 10 parts:
2 Bodies
2 Right Arms
2 Left Arms
2 Right Legs
2 Left Legs

Javelin and Shield upgrade pack will be released as soon as possible...

All these poses were created mixing and matching these parts, as all are interchangable. I didn't need any Greenstuff to achieve more poses (Except for the mandatory gap filling). All was created just using the parts, and bending a few arms by dipping them into hot water.

That's all for now. I've got some nice surprises waiting for more updates. I can say that I'm pretty sure this will not be the last update of 2008.

Thanks and merry Christmas to all!

- Kyte

RE: [24-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Hashut's Blessing - 12-24-2008 12:26 PM

Looking excellent! Great news about them being released too!

RE: [24-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 12-25-2008 07:46 AM

You can now order them here:

http://www.trollsforge.com/fishmen/fishmen.html

I'm thinking about promoting the Current Deep Ones to Chamelion Skink Stand ins and make some more lovecraftian looking deep ones (Which would actually be possible to rank up) for ordinary skinks. What do you think of that idea?

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [24-12-2008] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Willmark - 12-27-2008 08:38 PM

I'm still loving those crabs. Top notch, might have to get me some of them.

RE: [01-12-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 01-31-2009 08:07 PM

So I finally got myself together and took time to take some pics of the WIP Warturtle:

The first pic shows general progress using Head and Tail Variant 1:

The second picture shows the less developed Head and Tail Variant 2, as well as my main 'inspiration' for the anatomy and a scale picture so you can see how huge the beast is.

It is intentional that the beast resembles an Ankylosaurus more than a sea turtle really. This way, a few Lizardman players might use another howda and convert it as a stegadon or something.

I'm really looking forward to get the sketches of the howda, so I can get started on it.

I also started making the multipart deep one crew from spare greenstuff.

Feel free to ask any questions

By the way, yes. That's a 75x125mm base!

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [01-12-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kera foehunter - 01-31-2009 08:14 PM

wow love the turtle!! great job Kyte  can't wait to see more

RE: [01-12-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Xander - 01-31-2009 08:18 PM

Whoa, that looks awesome Kyte!  The closed mouth head looks amazing.  Nice work!

RE: [01-12-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 02-01-2009 06:14 AM

Thanks a lot guys and gals.

- Kyte

RE: [01-12-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - tjub - 02-01-2009 06:19 AM

Your fishmen are √ľber cool! Happy

RE: [01-02-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Zanko - 02-01-2009 09:01 AM

Really great stuff!

I like mostly your Fishmen! Takes Hat off Takes Hat off Takes Hat off

Hashut!

RE: [01-02-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Narflung - 02-01-2009 09:14 AM

Looking good, is that turtle going to be backed by Trollforged?

RE: [01-02-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - clam - 02-01-2009 06:09 PM

Great stuff (as always), Kyte Takes Hat off

RE: [01-02-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 03-22-2009 03:22 PM

Hey there. The Lazya$$ known as Kyte has once again awoken from the dead to show you some pictures!

The first pic is not comforting but rather disturbing. After all the Man O' War talk over at the Trollsforge forums, I got all inspired to try my hand at one, but yet again I failed. I just wouldn't give up the task o spending the weekend making an equivalent to a Lizardman artillery dino, so say hello to mister Blowfish:

Sorry Ed, but he's got a massive 188 spikes. I don't know if this is at all moldable, but don't worry it only took a few hours to sculpt. It's basically just a ball of fimo covered in greenstuff with added eyes, a few fins and half a billion spikes. Still need to do details to the fins and mouth, but it's basically finished.

When I started sculpting it, I was actually worried about it being too small, but after I added all the spikes, an illusion is created that it's almost twice as big as before they were added, which is quite impressive. It looks massive right now!

Speaking of massive, let me present the awsome HOWDA of the Warturtle:

It's almost halfway finished now. It's made from templates made from Borak's sketches, and I must say I'm very pleased with how the beastie is shaping up. I tell you it's massive. It's like 50% broarder than a GW stegadon! I still need to add tons of seaweed, barnacles and other gribbliness along with the corals that the howda is fused to the shell with. Plus I haven't even started working on the harpoon or the gunner

Here is a picture of the crew I've done so far. Also, the WIP Cthulhu Statue for the altar of the gods is shown here.

Still a lot of work to do. I'm especially pleased with the pose of the Cthulhu Priest commander, or should I say commodore? It's like he's standing on his proud vessel on top of his awsome mount commanding the turtle to step on his enemies. It's priceless IMO. My favourite Cthulhoid sculpt so far.
I'm also glad the statue really looks like a statue in a way, that it can't be mistaken for a large living cthulhu creature. That's really good. The runes on the base of the statue are actually spelling real words, names of my friends, favourite bands and other stuff. That's a cool detail too.

That's all for today. Stay tuned for yet more updates soon, or not soon, but more like eventually.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [01-02-2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - warh - 03-22-2009 03:26 PM

realy good!!!HappyHappyHappyHappyHappy5/5 chaos dwarfs
nice to see some more of your stuffHappy

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Ishkur Cinderhat - 03-22-2009 07:18 PM

OMG! Shock

and...

and... OMG!!!! Shock

How cool is that - a shipwreck as a howdah..! Brilliant! I have no idea how you are ever going to reproduce the blowfish, though. Those spikes would never cast well. Love the cthulhu statue, great stuff.

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kera foehunter - 03-23-2009 05:15 AM

great suff i like the boat !  And the puffer fish

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 03-24-2009 11:49 AM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
I have no idea how you are ever going to reproduce the blowfish, though. Those spikes would never cast well.

Thanks for the comments guys (and Kera)

Ed, the owner of Trollsforge, is goint to try out a four piece mold to cast the model in ine piece. I think it could work.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Grimstonefire - 03-24-2009 12:06 PM

I don't see how that could be cast at all, the diagonal spikes would always pin it in?

The turtle thing is a seriously amazing model though, what exactly is it?  Something with house rules Wink

If most of that was cast in resin would it be hollow?

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 03-24-2009 02:26 PM

Grimstonefire Wrote:
I don't see how that could be cast at all, the diagonal spikes would always pin it in?

The turtle thing is a seriously amazing model though, what exactly is it?  Something with house rules Wink

If most of that was cast in resin would it be hollow?

I have no idea either, but the owner of Trollsforge is a molding genious, and he says he's gonna nail it for sure, if not at first then after some experimenting.

The turtle can't officially be anything warhammer-related for copyright reasons, but I'll use mine as a stegadon, and it sure comes with 5 crewmen, an optional wizard crew commander, optional holy altar/statur and optional Harpoon launcher...

Yeah, the body will be hollow, methinks. There's some special casting technique, where you put the mold under pressure and spin it while pouring resin in it to obtain a hollow 5mm thick wall of resin.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - wallacer - 03-24-2009 03:21 PM

The boat howdah is great, both in terms of style and actual sculpting.
The blowfish is neat, but it would drive me insane painting all of those spikes.

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Grotsnik - 04-04-2009 05:14 AM

amazing figures but what happened to your chaos dwarves we still never saw a full all painted no work in progress completely legal army picture

RE: [22/03 2009] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 04-04-2009 06:27 AM

Grotsnik Wrote:
amazing figures but what happened to your chaos dwarves we still never saw a full all painted no work in progress completely legal army picture

Well, I kinda kept losing and lost the interest. Combined with the fact that I always wanted to create my own army from scratch, and that I actually had the skills, I paused the CD project a year ago. It will probably be taken up again... Sometime.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 07-14-2009 04:34 PM

Hi again... I don't even have an excuse for this... When this blog started, it was updated on a bi-weekly basis, so why the heck scould 4 months pass without an update? I don't believe it either... There are many reasons for this. Firstly, I had a long period without any inspiration to sculpt. Then came the exams, which I had to study for and then just a few weeks ago, there was the infamous ROSKILDE FESTIVAL, which was awsome as always.

I have as usual and quite obviously done quite a bit since last update. I figure we'll start with the boring stuff and work our way through medium level interesting stuff to the end, where my so far BEST EVER and most awsome creation ever is showcased. To say it myself, the last picture is more awsome than anything I have showcased in this blog or anywhere else. It's better than my Rhinox Riders, Better than my Ghark Ironskin, better than my beastmen, my chaos dwarfs, my Mechanical Great Taurus, my Daemon Prince, My Ray Rider, and even cooler than my Warturtle, which by the way isn't entirely finished yet... What lazyass I am...

So as usually we skip down to the pictures.

So I present you the boring stiff - Random Accessories:

Just a selection of random accessories. Sitting deep one legs to turn regular Deep Ones into Ray'ders. They are compatible with all Deep One bodies of course.
A set of 'Goading stick' arms is also shown, which enables you to create handlers for Blowfish and Man O' War. Again compatible with all deep one bodies.
Pretty boring stuff, but they come in handy seen from a larger perspective.

Then we move on to the not as boring, but not really exciting either sculpt - A Sharkman Hero/Regimental Champion:

Not much to say... He's a fair bit bigger than the average Sharkman. He is intended as a Unit Champion, but he can also be used as a hero on foot if decided. I will however make another model to represent a Sharkman Hero on foot. I'm planning on giving him an anchor for a great weapon.

We move further to untroduce the current state of the Warturtle with War Altar:

A lot of interesting little details have been added. Most obviously, the reef that fuses the howda to the turtle's carapace has been added. It's made of cork. Lots of small creatures are infesting the cracks of this, including the shown moray and octopus, but countless of sea shells, barnacles, crabs and even a horseshoe crab as well.

This pic isn't really more interesting than the previous. It just shows the Warturtle with Harpoon Launcher option:

The cannon was made in one day, and this set will come with an alternative roaring head. All I need to do now are those darn boring hind legs. They've been a pain in my butt for the last 6 months due to the sheer boringness of making them.

And now I'm about to show you the highlight of this update, my beloved Leviathan Rider:

The Rider's trident is interchangable with the Champion on Foot's Sword and wise versa, so you can equip your lord as you desire. all Sharkman Shields are also interchangable. I thing this model is awsome.

Does anybody know if you can get Glow-In-The-Dark paint for the Bioluminisense parts?

That's all for now. Please comment and come with suggestions, as you are potential costomers for these models.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Hrothgar Goldgreed - 07-14-2009 05:33 PM

Very, very nice. I do have a comment though: I think the woodwork on the cannon is lacking. It needs more depth.

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - tjub - 07-14-2009 06:49 PM

Im not a big fan of the cannon either, but everything you've done here is awesome!

Maybe this blog should be moved to Off-Topic Showcase? Tongue

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 07-14-2009 06:58 PM

tjub Wrote:
Maybe this blog should be moved to Off-Topic Showcase? Tongue

Well, I don't think so... It's a blog, and it surely contains Chaos Dwarfs, and I promise there'll be some more Chaos Dwarfs after the fishman project.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - tjub - 07-15-2009 02:18 AM

Ok, then Im saticfied... Tongue

Btw, I would be intrested in a few tips and tricks with GS. Or any usefull experience you have of do's and dont! Happy

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kyte - 07-15-2009 07:48 AM

tjub Wrote:
Ok, then Im saticfied... Tongue

Btw, I would be intrested in a few tips and tricks with GS. Or any usefull experience you have of do's and dont! Happy

I'm sure I could and would like to, but what advice do you want more specifically?

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Dino - 07-15-2009 10:56 AM

I must admit I like the leviathan rider. As soon as that comes out I just might buy one.

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Kera foehunter - 07-16-2009 05:04 AM

Love the shark rider!! great job on the fish !!

RE: [14/7 2009 (FINALLY)] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Bazil - 10-15-2009 08:41 PM

Amazing work Kyte. I sure hope we see most of your Immortals, and Character Chaos Dwarf Models being cast. As I know most of your Fishmen are already cast and I look forward to seeing more especially the Warturtle, and adding it to my Lizardman army

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Kyte - 06-11-2010 10:36 AM

Well it's been almost like a year since I have last updated my blog. I haven't done much sculpting this year because I've been busy with school, friends, living in escapistic hedonism, and a minor depression, but now that I've got a lot of time to read up on my exams, I have been doing a bit of stuff.

I have also sent the following to be cast by Troll Forged Miniatures:

Warturtle with Crew
Sharkmen
Sharkman Command
Sharkman General on Foot (not shown in any blogs)
Deep One Chieftain (not shown in any blogs)
Leviathan With Rider
Deep One Warriors
Deep One Ray'ders
Giant Blowfish with Handlers
+ all the old sculpts for enhancement

What I have done these like 10 months or so comes down to the two never before shown models that will be kept secret until they are released and then these:

First of all is the first Lobster Rider:

It's finished though it lacks arms. That is because it uses the same arms and weapons as the sharkmen on foot that are currently in America to be cast.
The Lobster will be modular, but the legs will be fully assambled, so it won't be as big a hassle to assamble as the behemoth crab. Claws will be totally modular and can be assambled in any way like the crab, should one desire.
And yes, that's a 30*50 mm base. Regular Cavalry base just wasn't large enough if I wanted these to rank up.

I am in doubt however... Should I make 2 or 3 riders? Since you won't at all have as many cavalry models as you have infantry, 2 + a champion should be enough, shouldn't it?

Next up is a happy Reunion with one of my very first Fishman Sculpts. It's the sitting Cthulhu High Priest, who have finally, after 2 years, had his Palanquin made:

The idea about the throne is that it's supposed to look like a flying piece of reef with the sheer magic power of the priest kinda empowering the whole thing so that all the fish and stuff just keeps swimming around it minding their own business even through it's in air... If that makes any sense... Lots of extra small critters are in the making.

Also the green thing around the "seat" is a gigantic fossilized shark-Jaw.

But every fat-ass mage-lord on a flying throne needs a bodyguarde of elite infantry, dosn't it? I present you the feared Trench Guard:

Musician looks weird because he's a goblin shark...
(http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/goblin_shark.jpg)
I think these are absolutely bad ass. They are bigger than Chaos Warriors, and I would have shown if all my Chaos models had not been stored in my garage, and I didn't bother going out there.
I still need to make one more regular trooper (Great White, open mouthed) and a champion (axe over head) along with a banner made from a looted figurehead along with some extra weapon options. I have really high expectations for this kit. My favourite multipart Unit kit yet.

A small but important update is the first Sea Swarm MKII

Not much to say... I'll make 2 different ones in total + send a set of small critters so people can either get the pre-made tomb kings style swarms or put critters on their own bases and make their own swarms. I think it will look really awsome when painted up.

Last but as always not at all least is something completely non-fishman related:

A Pig-Faced Orc Witch!
This sculpt was partially inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic IV and partially by my Ancient History Teacher, who honestly looks like this... Most of my friends see the resemblance without me eving telling.
I believe that this is my tecnically best sculpt yet. You really have an easier time making expressions on a mammal face than a sea creature's. Also I learned lots about cloth draping. I am tempted to make a whole army of these guys after the fishman project is finished. I have an idea of having my Orcs part of a Chaos Army. Not Chaos in the typical Warhammer sense, but more like Chaos as a worshipping of the unpredictability of life and nature. An army of outlaws, bandits, thieves and outcasts, allied with the pig faced orcs. I have lots of ideas for this force, including chariot sized slugs, thugs, bandids, a gigantic burning wicker-man with an enemy order wizard trapped inside it, Giant insects in general, Jabberwocks, Harpies, Multipart forest trolls and all manner of foresty goodness. These will be able to double as beastmen if all goes right... Still just an idea though...

I'm sorry for my abscene and for the low image quality. I'm having a hard time with my camera broken, so I had to use my video camera like the real old days.

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Daemon_Smith - 06-12-2010 02:19 AM

Great work on the cds, as well as the fishpeople! Happy
I would love to have an army of these models, but Troll Forged Miniatures don't seem to stock them all. Is there another website that I can buy them on?

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Bassman - 06-12-2010 03:50 AM

Your ancient history teacher is way too cool! I love deatils and the owl is uber cool!!

I think an entire army of them would be fantastic.
thumb up!

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Kyte - 06-12-2010 06:04 AM

Daemon_Smith Wrote:
I would love to have an army of these models, but Troll Forged Miniatures don't seem to stock them all. Is there another website that I can buy them on?

The 2nd wave is currently being molded up and cast, so wait a few months, and you can buy some more!

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - m3lvin - 06-12-2010 08:41 PM

Totally agree with bassman there, that owl is so cool!
what it lacks in size, it makes up in that intimidating stare Cheers!

It's very nice to see an update here, this is one of my favorite threads!

The best thing in this thread is to see how you evolved as an sculptor,
It was one of the things that really inspired me to start sculpting on a serious level,
and I'm greatly thankful for that Takes Hat off

I'll continue to keep a close eye at your models,
keep it up!

/melv

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - chipie_ambrosia - 07-02-2010 04:43 AM

Very beautiful sculpts. Especially the war turtle.

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Nazhur - 07-02-2010 02:12 PM

Your greenstuff skill is great. Very good looking models

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Snotling - 07-10-2010 07:24 AM

I'm happy to see you back at work, great new stuff, dude!

RE: [June 11 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Kyte - 07-10-2010 09:33 AM

Today I present to you one of my own favorite sculpts, the new Sharkman BSB:

First of all, the picture where you see the whole thing is taken at an angle that makes it look like the 'look out deep one' is as big as the sharkman, which is not the case. In real life, the deep one is the size of a skink and the sharkman is the size of an ogre bull, so he could hold and support the standard just fine.

The pose and design is kind of a parody on two of my favourite GW standard baerer. A cookie to the one who can guess which 2 I'm talking about.

What I really like about this sculpt is the contrast between the calm look of tha sharkman, and the crazed dynamic look of the deep one. Also I like that the 'looted ship' theme I've been going for with the army as a whole is taken to the extreme. What I'm sorry about is the fact that all the dangly whatnot this guy's got in his belt might make my mystery sculpt look a tad bland and boring...

I promise to post an update soon with the finished trench guard kit soon. It's made already, but I was too lazy to take pics and upload them at this time + I'd like to make updates with only one model at a time because that way I'll get more specific comments on how to improve the minis.

PS: I started a second pig-orc sculpt... Another witch, stirring a couldron of potion...

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [July 10 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Sharkman BSB! - Nazhur - 07-10-2010 09:39 AM

Looks really nice. I do indeed like your fishes Happy

RE: [July 10 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Sharkman BSB! - Ishkur Cinderhat - 07-10-2010 11:02 AM

Wow that standard bearer is awesome! Shock
I like the teeth a lot, must have been very fiddly to get them right and aligned like this. Is that a face hanging from the pole on the sail?

RE: [July 10 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Sharkman BSB! - Kyte - 07-10-2010 12:32 PM

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
Is that a face hanging from the pole on the sail?

Yeah, it's supposed to be the bloated head of a pirate, decaying slowly since he went down with the ship.

RE: [July 10 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Sharkman BSB! - Daemon_Smith - 07-16-2010 04:51 AM

I really like the BSB sculpt, very pretty indeed! Just one thing, the eyes seem to be a lot closer to the nostrils on this one, which to me makes it look less like a shark. Was this the look you were going for?

RE: [July 10 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Sharkman BSB! - Kyte - 03-09-2011 05:34 PM

It's been a while since I last updated this blog, but as usual, I've been busy with real life stuff.

Anyways, onto the update.

After a billion failed tries, I finally dropped the idea of the Man 'O War. A gigantic Jellyfish is simply impossible for me to sculpt, so I thought about what I could use in stead, to take the place of a certain form of reptilian artillery, and an electric eel came to my mind. A large fat moray-like electric eel that fires lightning at the enemy, so without further ado, here is the Thunder-Moray:

Based on the middle pic, obviously. Will be cut into sections for easy casting and poseability, so one could potentially create a lot of interesting poses, if all goes well.

Then a small Pig-Faced-Chaos-Orc Update:

No. This is not the Famine Fiend Beastman Character, It's a whole other thing. The fluff involves primitive necromancy combined with Golem animation technology, and Orc shamen and witches summoning the soul of a particularly powerful fallen hero into a golem-like forest-spirit-avatar of imense will and power made of bone, cloth, branches, wines, thorns, dead animals and forest debris to create a reanimated hulk of a master-witch, that will keep raising itself every time it falls apart, and inspire all nearby chaos troops to the point of fanaticism (These guys believe in chaos as in the unpredictability and endles demise and rebirth cycle that is Nature, remember?). It is weak in combat though, and can easily crumble, should the reanimation-spell be broken.

The skull was made with Heresy Clay Shapers. A must-buy for every sculptor. These are really handy for organic stuff.

I really have high expectations for this sculpt. I can tell you already now, that it will include a lot of ragged and sewn together clothing and a hand, that is really a big spider.

It should be a lot more hunched than in the concept art though.

Last up is the main update of the post, a brand new Deep One Chieftain on Foot:

Really a fun sculpt to make, and I learned a lot about posing. It also features a whole new easy-to-asemble-and-cast method with slot joints which makes the whole thing a lot more managable for everybody. Still need to cut the lower-jaw though.

I really like how lean and creepy he looks. Like the worst and most despicable of the Deep Sea Anglers we know. Of course, it's armed with a bioluminesent rod for eaier angling. Ewww!

As you might have noticed, it's a fair bit bigger than regular deep one scouts. I love character models being big and imposing. Especially combat-characters.
It's even a lot bigger and more imposing than the unshown Warturtle Deep One Chieftain who is eating a fish. He will be downgraded to a Unit Champion, I guess, but should still be included in the Warturtle kit.

That's it for now

Thanks

- Kyte

RE: [July 10 2010] Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Sharkman BSB! - Kyte - 05-20-2013 02:33 PM

I have recently dusted off my Old abandoned Chaos Dwarf Project, and have decided to expand my 2000 Points from the Ravening Hordes list to a fully legal 2500 point tournament army using Forge World Legion of Azgorh Rules.

I haven't done anything worthy of a picture update, but just for fun, I will include an old quote from the fall of 2007, one of the last times I showed anything Chaos Dwarf Related, my Greenstuff/plasticard replica of the old Juggernaut Siege Engine:

Kyte Wrote:

This is the most interesting part of the update, a scratch-built Chaos Dwarf Juggernaut Siege Engine. The real model for this thing is probably one of the rarest of all GW models. It goes for like ÔŅĹ2-300! Youch! Of course I wouldn't buy such one. I wouldn't even buy forgeworld rhinox riders, you know. The thing is made from plasticard, greenstuff, balsa, brownstuff and a lot of bits. All the levels and the 4 crewmen as well as the slave ogre are detachable for easier painting. The gun sticking out of its eues is a CSM Heavy Bolter. The crossbowmen aren't converted yet, and my favourite crewman is the gunner (The fat guy with the tool strapped to his belt:

This old bad boy has been fished up from the depths of my bits box and restored. With a few enhancements, it will become an iron daemon. Possibly featuring magnetized replicas of tenderizer parts to double as a skullcracker.

I have also started working on a unit of 6 K'daai Fireborn made from Necron bits and superglue/toilet paper Fire effects and a Destroyer made from cork, papermache, plasticard and a Stonehorn head.

Expect an update with pictures within a fourthnight. I have some exams at my university which I need to finish before I can fully focus on updating my old army.

Longterm plans are new Bull-Centaurs as well. I'm currently planing on using the resin bulls featured in the "Toy bulls new FW Bull centaur sized, anyone found any?"-thread in the conversions section. I don't know what to do for the bodies though? Ogre bodies would be good and I have a mould for casting them, but I somehow feel that they would stand out too much as "ogre bodies on toy bull lower-bodies" no matter how heavily I convert them, so maybe Black orcs as a base or something completely home sculpted might be a good alternative.

Hope you like that I'm back in the Chaos Dwarf Business.

- Kyte

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Willmark - 05-21-2013 09:05 PM

WOW now here is a name back from the past. Welcome back.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Abecedar - 05-21-2013 11:15 PM

Welcome home.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - khedyarl - 05-21-2013 11:43 PM

I never got a chance to say so before, but goddamn do I love that Eel, Kyte.  There's a really beautiful sense of motion to it.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - DAGabriel - 05-22-2013 01:59 AM

Looking through the thread it seems a legend returned! Welcome back and kudos for the sculpting talent!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - warh - 05-22-2013 08:40 AM

Hey, welcome back Kyte!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Kera foehunter - 05-22-2013 06:15 PM

welcome  back sweetie!!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Bassman - 05-23-2013 08:14 AM

Ooooh, remind me when I was young! Good old memories Big Grin

Nice to have you back here!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Ishkur Cinderhat - 05-23-2013 04:09 PM

He has returned. The right stars must be aligned again! Iä Cthulhu ftaghn! Wink

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Willmark - 05-24-2013 08:58 AM

Kyte back, I'm working on stuff again... Now if we can find Tallhat it will be just like CDO 2007 again.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Yodrin - 05-24-2013 02:31 PM

I am pretty new here, and to me it seems like a legend has returned from the posts  Happy

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - furrie - 05-24-2013 04:51 PM

Yodrin Wrote:
I am pretty new here, and to me it seems like a legend has returned from the posts  Happy

Yep, a legend has returned.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Yodrin - 05-24-2013 05:10 PM

furrie Wrote:

Yodrin Wrote:

Yep, a legend has returned.

How cool. Welcome back O big one Takes Hat off

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Kyte - 05-26-2013 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the kind replies guys! I really appreciate it. I frankly thought this thread was dead and forgotten.

I'll be going to my Club tomorrow and have a game with my Chaos Dwarfs at 2500 points. Are you guys interested in a battle report with pictures and all?

The list I Intend to use is this:

Quote:

Sorcerer Prophet - General, Level 4, Lore of Hashut, Opal Amulet, Dispel Scroll, Enchanted Shield

Infernal Castellan - BSB, Shield

10 Infernal Guard - Full Command, Fireglaives

10 Infernal Guard - Full Command, Shields

10 Infernal Guard - Full Command, Great Weapons

20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats - Full Command, Shields

1 Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher

1 Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher

1 Magma Cannon

1 Iron Daemon - Hellbound

6 K'daai Fireborn - Manburner

1 K'daai Desroyer

5 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders, Bows

Total: 2499 Points

I know the list isn't optimal with the minimum sized core blocks, but I have 3 painted units of 10 of my old skull pass conversions, and don't plan on adding more core. One unit of 28 with hand weapon of shields as a bunker flanked by 2 units of 10 with fireglaives is the setup you often see, and it is indeed a lot better from a gaming perspective, but it's not so much better than the msu approach for me to justify using proxies.

I don't know who my opponent is going to be, but we do have a lot of skaven and WoC players at the time, so one of those would be a pretty good guess Happy I frankly hope it's skaven so I can see my destroyer probably having dual hell pits for dinner.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Bad Gram Northern - 05-27-2013 10:31 AM

just went through the entire thread and it must be said:

man your sculpts are absolutly amazing.
the war-turtle and howdah are absolute favorites for me.
it's cool to see that after that many years (some of) your stuff is still available from trollforged, allthough some of the more exotic sculpts seem to have gone.

anyway it's cool to see you're back and I'm looking forward to whatever it is you'll share with us next

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - I'm Back! - Kyte - 05-27-2013 05:27 PM

Bad Gram Northern Wrote:

it's cool to see that after that many years (some of) your stuff is still available from trollforged, allthough some of the more exotic sculpts seem to have gone.

The sad part is that most of the stuff isn't even released yet. Has been "in production" for the better part of three years now Respect to the Mask!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Kyte - 06-07-2013 10:11 AM

So I promised you to update my blog with pictures of my K'daai conversions.

And let's start with the fireborn:

These guys started out as classic Terminator-style Necrons. I cut them up, made a wire-frame to connect the body of the necron to the plasticard bases I made for them. Then I made flames by crumbling and twisting torn shreds of toilet paper, then soaking them in superglue, which is in my oppinion the most easy way to make flame effects. Looks absolutely hyper-realistic if painted with reverse lighting and drybrushing from white up to orange and red tones. Anyways, after the fire was made, I use the spare legs as arms, and spiced them up with chaos warrior helmet horns and random weapons from my bit box.

Anyways here are the shots of the first three.

I made a Manburner from a previous edition immortal, but sculpted a new helmeted head for him as the normal head looked too obviously necron.

These were made to resemble the Forgeworld models as closely as possible, while still fitting with the "oldschool" style of my Chaos Dwarf army, and I'm quite happy with them. I have three more necron bodies which I intend to finish after I finish my exams at the University. I'm looking forward to painting these a lot.

But on to the main attraction of the update, my Destroyer.
I was playing around many ideas for what to do with the destroyer without spending any money on it at all, which proved to be quite a challenge. The inspiration came from having a giant efreet thing like the smaller fireborn using a spare stonehorn head from my ogre army as the face. I figured that superglue to soak that amount of toilet paper would cost me a fortune, so instead, I settled on a balrog-ish magma effect conveyed by gluing pieces of ground up raw cork onto a frame of brass rod (you gotta have brass in a chaos dwarf construct) bulked out with papermache. The axes were made from plasticard and rod of various sizes with hashut insignia cut from thin card. I present to you, Desotroyah:

As you can see, he is absolutely massive towering over every model in my collection except for my Skaven Plague Furnace. He will be made and painted to look like he's rising from the very magma of the base.

I have actually started to paint the beast, and it's coming to look really good. the unpainted version looks strange because it's composed of so many different materials.

Comments and critique is well appreciated as always.

A Magma Cannon made from my friend's spare 40k orc vehicle parts, Painted destroyer and finished Juggernaut coming next update.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - NoisyAssassin - 06-07-2013 10:19 AM

Fireborn look amazing! I don't like the FW style, but you seem to have found a way to do it right.

I'm not 100% sold on the Destroyer yet though. A little too D&D-style elemental for my taste, but I'm going to reserve any actual judgement until I see it painted, at which point I'm sure it will look much better and more natural.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Bad Gram Northern - 06-07-2013 10:29 AM

that's a funny face! But I like it! Yes I do!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Skink - 06-07-2013 11:46 AM

Fireborn looks cool. And... Something looks familiar to me Wink.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Falter - 06-07-2013 04:22 PM

Toilet paper soaked in super glue? I'd love to see your fingers after working with that Tongue

They look very nice though.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Bolg - 06-07-2013 06:00 PM

I seriously _love_ that destroyer. With just a decent paint job I am sure it would have got one of my votes (:.

very inspiring, I love the "without spending any money on it at all" looking forward to seeing him all painted up, and I really want to see your TP flames all done as that sounds very interesting to make.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - tjub - 06-08-2013 05:43 AM

Cool concept!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Ghrask Dragh - 06-08-2013 09:43 AM

Really cool concept, looking forward to seeing the tissue paper painted, I don't think I've seen that before.

Cool stuff kyte, nice to some new stuff Cheers!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Yodrin - 06-09-2013 07:20 AM

Cool concept, I especially like the Destroyer!!!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - bas_2312 - 06-09-2013 07:57 AM

I'm not totally convinced by the TP flames, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like painted. And the cork on the Destroyer is looking very good. So get to work! Wink

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Kera foehunter - 06-09-2013 09:55 AM

This is the come back of Kyle.. i wanted to see, Great job

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - BABIS - 06-09-2013 04:21 PM

amazing job!!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Soulassassin - 06-10-2013 03:55 AM

As I said to Skink the other day; Dude, your Necron is on fire Happy

The paper+gule flame is an interesting approach, must try it out. It truly makes a toxic model though! Somebody crack open a window?

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Kyte - 06-10-2013 06:36 AM

Soulassassin Wrote:
It truly makes a toxic model though! Somebody crack open a window?

Oh it's by far not the most toxic stuff I've worked with over the years. Nothing compared to resin-casting, hot-wire-cutting of foam board and the various epoxy putties and glues I've tried out over the years...

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Soulassassin - 06-10-2013 07:13 AM

Far out man, far out Cheers!

I have had some hours of hot wire cutting and working with high density foam during my studies at Uni, and that is indeed worse. Nowadays I just stick to black primer from GW to get my fix Tongue

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - The K'daai are coming! - Kyte - 10-05-2013 06:16 PM

Well I haven't done much chaos dwarf related stuff over the summer, but then again this blog has been derailed by other projects once or twice so far already if I remember correctly.

Over on The Warhammer Forum, I have joined their 200 point group, vaguely meaning that you have to update your blog monthly.

Here are quotes from my first two updates of that blog to keep you guys updated on my overall hobby progress:

Quote:
Most of the club 200 blogs I've seen so far have been great to follow, but my favourite by far from the first season of club 200 was Laughing Ferret's Prehistoric Pulp Project: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106784

I was devastated when the blog died for no apparent reason, and always wished for an update when I checked these boards.

And now the time has come for me to start a new blog that has nothing to do with either home sculpted fishmen, chaos dwarfs, ogres or anything warhammer related whatsoever.

My friends and I have been spending the last couple of months starting a small company. All we do now is sell home made terrain and do costum resin moulding and casting. But in time we want to create and our own miniatures game. That is, however, years into the future.

What we have merely begun working on are warbands made mostly from our bitz boxes which we intend to use for playtesting different game mechanics that might end up in the final game.

so far, no fluff or anything but vague ideas have come up, and we have decided not to limit ourselves to anything specific and just base our warbands on differing pop culture phenomenons and popular franchises, although we already know that the final game will be set in the Alice in Wonderland setting about half a century after what happens in the books, and will not include too many pop culture references, but enough of that. That is as I already told, years into the future.

This means that essentially anything goes and with all the pop culture inspired models produced by manifacturers such as Lead Adventure, Hasslefree and Heresy combined with three bitz boxes the size of eastern Russia and the combined greenstuff skills of me and my friends, we hope that this could end up turning out fairly epic.

War has come to Imaginationland and factions from differing franchises are battling for dominance and it will be up to my gaming group to find out who or what will win the war.

For my first warband, I went for pure nostalgic wackyness and based it on a phenomenon every 90's kid is almost certainly fond of:

Yeah, Baby! I made a Pokémon warband!

Here is Ash with Pikachu on his base. Ash is made from the excellent Male Survivors plastic kit from Wargames factory. One of the best plastic sets I have ever worked with. It will let you create pretty much every thinkable contemporary male character with a bit of creative thinking. Pikachu is made from an old Warhammer Quest Rat. with some minor changes.

The rest of the warband is based upon different Pokémon which I either personally like, or had suitable bits for creating.

Following is a Golbat made from Vampire counts Vargheist leftovers. I might make a zubat as well from a Warhammer quest bat if I find one in the depths of my bitz. Sorry if the greenstuffing is not up to my usual standard, but this is just for fun and not for release, so I figured I could slack some.

Next up is a Bulbasaur:

The toad is an ancient 80's lead model. Can't remember if it's from Grenadier or Ral Partha... Onion on the back is again a simple greenstuff addition.

Another personal favourite pokemon of mine is Haunter:

Made from toilet paper hardened with superglue with greenstuff/miliput brown details.
I love this pokémon. If not for it's awesome design, then for the whole internet lavender town craze which I actually found really creepy back in the day.

When making a pokémon warband you have to include the ultimate Pokémon, Mew! Sadly I had no bits that I could make the little fetus-like critter from so I had to sculpt it from scratch. Again, quality isn't my best, but then again I'm not too bothered when it's for personal use and not for release:

Sorry for the terrible pics... I have never been too great a photographer...

Then there's the first painted member of the gang. Yet another favourite pokemon of mine, Hypno:

This warband can also double as a stand in dreamer crew for Malifaux with Hypno as Coppelius and Ash as the Dreamer, but enough of that.

And as a bonus, a WIP Cubone/Marowak. Not sure if I will break it up and place as a dead body on the haunter's base or use it as an individual pokemon. The reaper bone dragon head is such a rare bit and it would be kind of a waste to use it on a base decoration. On the other hand, as a Lavender Town creepypasta enthusiast, a dead marowak on a haunter's base is almost too tempting.

And thus I got this blog kickstarted. The goal is to either fully convert or fully paint one warband per month.

So brace yourselves! The war of Imaginationland has just started. Angry Nerds are arming themselves with powergloves, legends tell of dragons being hatched in the south/east, Doctors from space are coming down to investigate how a Pokéball can be bigger on the inside, tales tell of Arcworldish Albionnicans fighting Danish Viking tribes over the magical artefact, the Grauballe Bogman while a Major zombie outbreak have forced a group of survivors to take over an abandoned prison, not knowing that a gang of nosey teenagers with a dog are trying to figure out the cause of the outbreak. Everything can happen when the accumulated sum of human imagination rises to battle one another for supremacy.

Welcome to the world of Wonder Wars. I assure you that you will see many cartoon, cult series and videogame characters on this blog. Even stuff based on characters from the gigantic Live Action Role Play, Mythodea might make an appearance.

Next up is Painted Mew and perhaps a preview of something to come...

Quote:
October, the month of evil stuff is upon us, but before I reveal my Halloween themed models, I will like to show some more finished Pokémon models:

First up is painted Ash, Pikachu, Mew and Bulbasaur:

Second is my favourite pokémon of all time, Nidoking:

This is what happened with the second Reaper Daemon Prince with removed wings and slight modifications (Rabbit ears and extra spikes) I can't reccommend Reaper Bones enough. By far the best model material ever.

Next up are some more Pokémon. A Paras and a Parasect:

I absolutely love the concept behind these Pokémon. They are based on Cordyceps, a species of fungus that take over the minds of insects, directing them to locations with an optimal climate for fungal groths where it slowly consumes the insects. According to the official pokédex entry states that Parasect's brain is completely overtaken by fungal growth. Hence the lifeless zombie-like eyes.

Paras was made from a Warhammer quest spider with a sculpted segmented body, some crab-like claws and mushrooms from the old Night Goblin set.

Parasect is a heavily filed down and remodelled cast of one of my own Troll Forged Behemoth Crab sculpts. Felt strange converting a model I sculpted myself. Mushroom is made from miliput.

Here is a group-shot of the painted Pokémon so far:

And a few unpainted additions to the warband:

Geodude and Graveller made entirely from raw cork and gravel with a little facial details made from Greenstuff.

And a Ghastly made from Fire effect and facial features from Greenstuff. I plan on eventually have the full evolutionary line of this ghostly creature:

And on for the halloweenish update of today. But first off is a question for you. What is the best ov erall thing about the month of October?

No. Not Halloween, but Cinemassacre's Monster Madness of course.

I have always been a great fan of James Rolfe and knew from the start that The Angry Video Game Nerd would have to make an appearance in this collection. So here he is, wearing his trusty Power Glove and NES Zapper:

The finished product will have the power glove resculpted to be giving the finger. I also might costumize the gun to more closely resemble a Nintendo Zapper and add a pocket pouch to his chest. He is again made from the Wargames Factory Male Survivors kit. A true must have for any contemporary miniatures collection.

And what will he lead? Well until a full internet celebrety warband is made, he will be associated with a gang of classic Universal Studios Monsters of course:

Here is a bad picture of Pharrow Imhotep. A Reaper metal model by Bob Olley, or is it Jason Wiebe?

The Wolfman in Wolf Form. A Reaper Bones Werewolf from the kickstarter. Again, go buy this stuff. Best model material ever:

I will make a Larry Talbert/Lon Chaney version for in-game transformation later.

Last in the Horror Crew includes Doctor Frankenstein and his Monster:

The Monster is from Carnevalle Miniatures, and the good Doctor Victor is from god knows where found at the depths of my friend zKoTTe's Bitz box. He got it from a yard sale with other random early 90's lead models...

And last but not least, celebrating the spirit of Halloween dedicated to evil in general, here is a sculpt of one of the most despicably evil and psychotic characters from all of media in general. Eric Theodore Cartman:

See you next time with more random stuff!

Comments and critique appreciated as always, and do you wish me to continue copying pictures from my warhammer forum blog here in the future?

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Bloodbeard - 10-06-2013 01:53 AM

Hahaha. Great way to stary sunday morning. So funny.

Great conversions and sculpts.

Jeg drager ud på livets vej, jeg har et enkelt mål!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Skink - 10-06-2013 05:22 AM

Oh my god! These bring me back to, what, 15 years ago? Sooooo nostalgic Happy. Gotta sculpt em allBig Grin!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 10-08-2013 05:31 PM

Perhaps not them all, but the ones that inspire me to make a realistic representation of from spare bits and Greenstuff Wink

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - NoisyAssassin - 10-09-2013 11:18 AM

This is pretty freakin' cool. We want MOAR!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 10-11-2013 08:54 PM

After another week of catching and training Pokémon, I present to you some new additions to Ash's collection.

Then some painted versions of previously shown unpainted Geodude, Graveler and Ghastly. These still need some flocking work:

And painted Golbat. Torned out better than I had expected:

Second up is Exeggutor. Mostly done as an experiment on using fake plants for model effects. Turned out allright I guess. For the ammount of work it took just using these compared to making a similar effect from greenstuff or plasticard or something like that, I am very pleased.

The next one is kind of interesting, my take on Electrode. The basic reverse pokéball with a simple face design is, let's face it, one of the most boring and uninspired pokémon concepts ever. Especially in Generation one. I wanted to take a different approach and make the concept kind of interesting. I used a gumball capsule to make sort of a generator connected to a brain contained inside a bionic carapace. I sprayed the inside of the glass visor with matt varnish to make a milky feel reminessent of the white colour of the upper part of Electrode:

As usual, I also have a couple of unpainted additions:

An Omanyte made from the head of my Troll Forged Cthulhu High Priest with improved tentacles and a shell from miliput:

I still need to find a medium sized toad like dinosaur thingy for my Bulbasaur to evolve, but here is the first mock-up of my upcoming Venusaur:

Body is made from a cut down and modified protoceratops toy. fake plants and miliput palm is removable and connected to a core of brass rod for easier painting and converting.

Last up is some scenic base work on Dracula for the Cinemassacre's Monster Madness Warband. Wen't for the most Bela Lugosi Like Vampire model I could find in the bitz arsenals of my friends:

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - azhagmorglum - 10-14-2013 06:46 AM

Those pokemons are really well done !

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 10-22-2013 05:16 PM

Time for another update!

First up, some more Pokémon. A Gengar made from the leftover body of the Cthulhu High Priest who donated his head to the earlier shown Omanyte:

The main part of the update is my painted Venusaur. I had to resculpt a lot of the original dinosaur toy to make the plants fit naturally:

Then the beginnings of an entirely new warband. Denaerys Targaryen and her baby dragons. Paint in Progress of course:

Dragons are made from a mix of Warhammer Skinks and Warhammer Quest Bats. Denaerys is a Hasslefree concubine with a sculpted braid and scenic base with fire effects, greenstuff eggs and ghoul parts for Drogo's Bones. She is actually the first naked female model I ever painted. I'm generally not a fan of nudity on models, but found this appropriate for recreating a look of stepping out of the dragon ressurecting bonfire.

Last but not least is a Fimo sculpt of The Groke/Hufsa/Mörko/Mårron/Murran from Moomin. A creature very dear to my heart who plagued my childhood. For those of you who don't know, Moomin is a Finnish series of books from the mid 1900's about a race of hippopotamus-like trolls and their adventures in Moomin valley. The books were made into a popular Scandinavian/Japaneese Cartoon in the 1990's. This creature, known as The Groke is a ghostly widow daemon who spreads frost where ever she walks. One of my worst childhood fears, and that is exactly the type of warband it will eventually belong to. A warband of some of my worst childhood fears turned into Miniature models.

This is of course only base coated so far:

It was actually really tough to make, despite the simple design. Such large smooth and relatively symmetrical areas are things I have always found very tough to sculpt.

That's it for now I guess. Comments and criticism appreciated as always.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - tjub - 10-23-2013 12:14 AM

Looks good, but its time to move this to the "other stuff" section...

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Bloodbeard - 10-23-2013 01:51 AM

Nice sculpts once again.

Murren is a very scary monster, I liked Mummi Troldene when I was a kid, but that big frozen mother ghost was scary.

Nice Denaerys warband. A bit disturbing to actually make a thirteen year old naked girl model. I know the model ain't thought that way.

But Denaerys was thirteen when the dragons hatched.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Soulassassin - 10-23-2013 02:29 AM

Aaah! Hufsa! Shock

Scary.
Nice sculpt that one!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 10-23-2013 06:34 AM

Thanks for the comments.

tjub Wrote:
Looks good, but its time to move this to the "other stuff" section...

I see no point in moving the thread since painted K'daai and some Bull Centaurs are soon to make an appearance.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Yodrin - 10-23-2013 11:07 AM

Pokemon is not my thing, but these are very nice sculpts !! Wink

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - The Odor - 10-23-2013 02:44 PM

Mumin minis! Wonderful! I love it.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 11-04-2013 06:43 PM

Time for a small verbal update...

Scary, nightmarish creatures are slowly joining up with the Groke. Eyewitnesses report having nightmares themed around imperfection, waking up screaming in the middle of the night, having dreamt about poorly computer-animated fetus-like faces. Museum workers of √Örhus, Denmark have reported missing bogmen from the museum's collection.

In other news, Ash talked to an old alcoholic about catching weedles and later proceeded to catch a strange Pokémon at the east coast of Cinnabar Island. It was unable to be identified by his Pokédex. May it be an unknown legendary?

Meanwhile, the phrase, "Bad Wolf" has been gratified all over London. Authorities have no idea what to make of it.

Guesses on what the next update could bring is more than appreciated...

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 11-25-2013 06:40 PM

The month of November has more or less come and gone by without me even noticing it. Though I didn't manage to get as much done as I had hoped for due to university exams and a weekend trip to Berlin, I will share with you a rag-tag collection of random models.

First up is by far my very foulest creation ever. The Big Blue CGI Fetus-Face from Courage The Cowardly Dog.
This hideous monster was made from Fimo Clay with the cord-gut-thing from cobber wire.

But the main attraction of the update is indeed themed on the month as usual, and a certain thing very dear to me had a lot of attention recently. We're talking of course about Doctor Who and the 50th Anniversary last Saturday.
To honour perhaps my favourite series of all time is the beginnings of a Doctor Who Warband:

First up is the Doctor himself, the lovely Dr. Hugh sculpt by Andy Foster from Heresy Miniatures:

Second up is a Dalek, based on a classic GW plastic Dalek from the late 80's with an improved sucker made from a plastic skaven bell and a plasticard blaster:

Then there's a Weeping Angel. Absolutely love these guys. It's a kitbask of the body of metal GW Banshee with ghoul arms, wings from an ogre kingdoms vulture, front face from a ghoul and and hair from a bretonnian knight errant:

Last up is the mighty TARDIS. it was originally made about a year back, when I just messed around with some random plasticard sheets. To be honest, it's pretty bad, and will probably get a replacement down the line, but will have to do for now.

Last for the warband is an unpainted Cyberman made from a variety of 40K plastic bits with the head being from an actual 80's GW plastic cyberman:

On the other hands, a couple of WIP Pokémons have been added to the Pokédex as well.

First we got another favourite of mine, Cloyster made from Fimo Clay, Miliput and Greenstuff. I had to spray it white for the picture, since it would look very weird with a mixture of three differently coloured putties:

Second up is Golduck. It was based on a Warhammer Lizardman Saurus, but was heavily resculpted:

I also made a new Haunter complete with White hand on the base. The Other one was traded in order to evolve it into a Gengar:

Here's a WIP Alakazam based on an old plastic Genestealer. This genestealer was part of the second pack of miniatures I ever bought way back in 1997. the 5 Genestealers of of the set have all been painted and stripped multiple times and have been used in a variety of different conversions and projects over the years:

Last but not least, more a joke than anything, The legendary Glitch Pokémon MISSINGNO. made from Papermache. Can't wait to go bonkers with a real glitchy paint scheme:

Well that's it for November I guess. See you in the month of christmas.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - Karring - 11-26-2013 11:15 AM

Kyte Wrote:

Hahaha, at least a monster has caught that guy! But I would have never expected to see him as standard...

Nice, nice job.

RE: Kyte's Army Blog - (Updated:24/06/07) - Bloodbeard - 11-27-2013 08:05 AM

Karring Wrote:
Hahaha, at least a monster has caught that guy! But I would have never expected to see him as standard...

Nice, nice job.

Ha! Good one Karring. That guys has indeed been running for many years and from many a monster.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 11-28-2013 09:11 AM

Haha. That old thing! I actually recently dug out that particular banner to use with my new full size Bull Centaurs!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Realistic Pokémon sculpts and conversions - Kyte - 09-22-2014 11:31 AM

Well time to raise this old thread again.

Not for fiery or chaos dwarf related updates however, oh no.

But because I recently finished this new Fishman Monster.

This creature is called a Dunkleodon Hydraulis. Inspired by classic mythical beasts like the griffon, being a mix of to or more existing animals, this is half Dunkleosteus and half Tyrannosaurus Rex, blended into a true Toho-style monster:

Disassembled:

I have already succesfully cast this beast in resin, and it will not be released by Troll Forged Miniatures. You can expect more frequent updates over the next few months. Brace yourselves. Water is coming!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Admiral - 09-22-2014 11:42 AM

That's a great sea monster! I especially like the armoured-fish head. Trollforged, you say? This beast might have to be an obligatory purchase in future years, because nautical and naval stuff are intriguing.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Kyte - 09-22-2014 11:49 AM

Admiral Wrote:
That's a great sea monster! I especially like the armoured-fish head. Trollforged, you say? This beast might have to be an obligatory purchase in future years, because nautical and naval stuff are intriguing.

No, actually as stated above this (as opposed to most of my older fishman sculpts) wil not be released by Troll Forged Miniatures. It will in stead be available exclusively at Giant Fanatic 2014 (Danish unofficial Games Day like event).

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Admiral - 09-22-2014 11:54 AM

Kyte Wrote:
No, actually as stated above this (as opposed to most of my older fishman sculpts) wil not be released by Troll Forged Miniatures. It will in stead be available exclusively at Giant Fanatic 2014 (Danish unofficial Games Day like event).

Haha, OK, thanks. Darnit, I was too excited by the fish to read correctly. Happy

Making it exclusive to just one event seems a tad self-limiting to me. If interest in the sculpt is high, how about returning with it to Giant Fanatic in coming years, or selling it on other events? There's a lot of work hours in that fish, and it deserves some distribution if possible.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Kyte - 09-22-2014 12:07 PM

Admiral Wrote:

Kyte Wrote:

Haha, OK, thanks. Darnit, I was too excited by the fish to read correctly. Happy

Making it exclusive to just one event seems a tad self-limiting to me. If interest in the sculpt is high, how about returning with it to Giant Fanatic in coming years, or selling it on other events? There's a lot of work hours in that fish, and it deserves some distribution if possible.

Just wait and see. I plan on making another version. With a Howda carrying a couple fishman crewmen and a crystal-skull powered lazer-gyroscope of doom. In fact i'm looking for an artist to draw me a sketch. I'm terrible at imagining structures. Especially ones that would cast well...

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed - 09-23-2014 05:43 AM

Your blog is truly epic. Thanks for all the great tips and info. The shattered glass bases is truly genius.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Hobgoblint - 09-23-2014 03:44 PM

Wow, jaw dropping, sensational and inspiring, Tall hats off to you Sir.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - sotek222 - 09-24-2014 12:22 AM

Woohoo! I love your fishmen I've been hoping for a release of the fishmen for a long time!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - tjub - 09-24-2014 12:30 AM

Thats a beast!

Whatever happened to all your fish men and Chaos Dwarves? Did you ever got/paint an army, or did the projects move to a box somewhere? Happy

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Kyte - 09-24-2014 09:07 AM

Thanks for all the kind replies Happy

tjub Wrote:
Thats a beast!

Whatever happened to all your fish men and Chaos Dwarves? Did you ever got/paint an army, or did the projects move to a box somewhere? Happy

The Chaos Dwarf army stands 2000 points strong, but all isn't painted. Who knows if it ever will, but at least it's playable.

The fishmen have been at Troll Forged for almost half a decade. The owner keeps promising that they will see release someday, so I keep waiting.

As promised, here is a cast picture of the Dunkleodon:

Stay tuned for more!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - RETURN OF THE FISHMEN! - Kyte - 10-27-2014 06:19 PM

The dunkleodon is now painted up:

Next monster is going to be a giant Sea Serpent. Thick as a thumb and barely fitting on a chariot base!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Painted Dunkleodon! - Admiral - 10-27-2014 06:32 PM

Very nice! It looks lethal. I hope it isn't going to recapture Skåne for you! Wink

Looking forward to the sea serpent.

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Painted Dunkleodon! - Yodrin - 10-28-2014 01:35 AM

Very nice dino, great work!

RE: Kyte's Big Fat Blog - Painted Dunkleodon! - Ben Saunders - 11-03-2014 04:22 PM

By serendipity, I just came across your necron and tissue paper fireborn elsewhere and then hunted this down to see whether there was a tutorial or clearer instructions. I'm pleased to find both that there are and that this thread isn't dead. Did you ever get round to painting them?