CDO Forums
Halfling Empire Blog - Printable Version

+- CDO Forums (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Hobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Showcase (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Halfling Empire Blog (/showthread.php?tid=8243)

Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 09-20-2010 06:37 AM

Hi guys!

I started to work on my Empire army again, but I'm lacking motivation, so I thought it would be a smart idea to start a painting blog.

But it's not going to be a standard Empire army, that would be too easy. It's an army from the Moot. So lots and lots of Halflings! YAY! When the army's finished I should have painted about 200 of the little guys!

The army is not going to be a game winner, but it should look cool on the tabletop!

It should look a little like this:

Hopfully I'll be working on this army a little this week, and I'll try to keep this blog up to date Happy

RE: Empire Blog - nitroglysarine - 09-20-2010 06:45 AM

Any cook pots? - or are they the mortars - can't quite make them out.

RE: Empire Blog - Blue in VT - 09-20-2010 07:59 AM

Very nice...I have an empire component to my "other" army and would love tot add some halflings.  Are those all GW sculpts or are you using some of the nice new ones from battle forge?

Get back to the painting table!!  I want updates!

(just trying to help with the motivation)

Takes Hat off

Blue

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 09-20-2010 08:09 AM

Every model is GW, but some of them are very old..

The models that I use as Greatswords are from 1984, so they're even older than me! ;o

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 09-20-2010 08:21 AM

Start painting! I wanna see pictures (ands I want to face it on the battlefield!)

RE: Empire Blog - Shakhorth - 09-20-2010 10:08 AM

Whoohoo Halflings for the win! Takes Hat off
Paint it up, can't wait to see more of your very nice collection.

RE: Empire Blog - Clinkz - 09-22-2010 09:04 AM

that is a very nice collection you have there, lots to paint too Happy good stuff! Takes Hat off

RE: Empire Blog - Hazkar - 09-22-2010 05:49 PM

uuhh...like what i see there
tons of cool old minis....awesome,awesome,awesome!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-01-2011 07:57 PM

RIIIIIIIIIIIISE!

It's time to resurrect this thread, since I have started work on my Halflings again.

12 February I'm entering a 750 pts tournament with this army, so I have some painted to do.

The list I want to use is:

Battle Wizard (General)
Captain (BSB )
50 Free Company
19 Great Swords
Mortar

So far I've finished 30 Free Company, the Wizard, the Mortar and 10 Greatswords.. And I hope I can finish painting the rest in time.

I'll put up some pics tomorrow once I've bought some batteries for my camera Happy

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-04-2011 10:18 AM

Ok, so the armylist wasn't that interesting. Hope you guys like the pics enough to leave some comments! Happy

I tried to make some of individual Halflings, but those didn't turn out right, so for now I just have pics of the entire units to show.

First, a 50 men strong Free Company horde. All uniques models in this unit, no duplicates! Big Grin Still WIP of course.

And my WIP Greatsword unit.

RE: Empire Blog - Unzul - 02-04-2011 11:30 AM

very funny models... the horde is very characteristic, it' unique

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-11-2011 10:08 PM

It's been hard work, but I finished the 750 pts army in time for the tournament!

50 Free Company, 20 Greatswords, a Captain BSB, a wizard and a Mortar with customized template ;p

I just have to finish the banners, but I don't want to rush them so I'll finish them after the tournament.

RE: Empire Blog - AGPO - 02-13-2011 07:42 AM

Wow, this army is incredible! I love the minis you've used for the greatswords too. How long did it take you to track down all those classics.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 02-13-2011 08:56 AM

Wow you actually finished the army on time! thats some sweet production skill!!

How did the tournament go?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-13-2011 04:50 PM

Bolg Wrote:
Wow you actually finished the army on time! thats some sweet production skill!!

How did the tournament go?

It was pretty fun.. finished third.
First game I got to play against Skaven. 28 Stormvermin with a Ratling Gun, 50 Skaven Slaves, some Globadiers and a Warplightning Cannon. He managed to kill my BSB and half of the Greatswords unit, and I wiped out his army. Crushing victory for me.
Second game played again another Empire army. He fielded 40 Halberdeers who stood still next to a Hellvolley gun, and a unit of 10 Outriders. Not really a fun game for me, since I had to walk forward and got shot to pieces. When I finally got to the Halberdeers I managed to break them, and overrun in his Hellvolley. But the next turn he actually hid the fleeing unit with his general behind his arm so I forgot to charge it. So -100 sportmanship for him, but since it was a recruit-tournament and was more about playing games than winning actual prices I didn't feel like making an effort to whine about it..
Final game vs. Dwarfs. 10 xbowmen, 10 Handgunners, Cannon and 25 Hammerers. I finished off most of his army except 2 Hammerers, and I only had my Greatswords left.

Final assesment of the day. 50 Free Company + Lore of Beast signature spell (+1S, +1T) is awesome! Mortar can cause a lot of pain.. when it actually manages to hit which it didn't all day... :/

And now some good news. With a few touchups on a couple old Archers I painted some time ago, and finishing the freehands on the banners, I can field 1000 points of sweet painted Halfling fun!

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 02-13-2011 05:13 PM

WOW I rely like the idea of this army It looks cool, How do you do ya bases. Make-paint ect as they look nice from the pic's

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 02-14-2011 03:25 AM

An Halflings army? That's way too cool :-D

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-15-2011 08:45 PM

Update! Big Grin

Halflings have their own Steam Tank of course, but the standard version is waaaaaay too big for these cute little fellows. So they have their own model:

RE: Empire Blog - nitroglysarine - 02-16-2011 05:23 AM

He's going to have high insurance premiums Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-16-2011 11:43 AM

And another little update, a unit of Huntsmen with a skirmish movementtray:

RE: Empire Blog - nitroglysarine - 02-16-2011 01:13 PM

broken image for me. - ahh now I see it.

RE: Empire Blog - Golder Goldeater - 02-16-2011 01:49 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:

I was hoping for sth more... giant tea pot shaped stuff. But this is awesome as well! Congratulations!Takes Hat off

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-22-2011 08:53 AM

Thanks! Big Grin

I've been working on this army some more, and I really need your help! For my Flaggelant unit I want to use these models:

Angry housewives! I have 6 of each of those models, but it would be boring to have so many duplicates in the unit. So do you guys have any genious ideas how to convert these Halflings?

And finally I have a little army picture of what I have finished so far:

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 02-22-2011 09:25 PM

Could try head-swaping or giving them big spoons rollinpins ect, the one with the cask of wine (if you are up to the task lol) could be cut away or turned into holding washed cloths or something like that, maybe even holding a pig or sheep on her shoulder.

ya could get some male halflings and turn them into housewifes too.

on a funny idea give them all plucked-chickens for weapons lol

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-23-2011 10:35 AM

Thanks for the ideas! Big Grin

Because I don't want to start working on my Flaggelants yet, I've been rethinking my colourscheme. The army is very dark because I just a lot of dark, natural colours, and that's why I miss the contrast to make the army an eyecatcher. I'm thinking of adding some blue to my units to make them pop a little more. I tried to show what I mean with Photoshop. What do you guys think? Is the blue too much, or does it make the model a little more interesting?

RE: Empire Blog - Hashut's Blessing - 02-23-2011 10:41 AM

I think that the blue does help, but it also could be a little darker if you didn't want it to be too bright.

I think that hacving so much of the dark green is the real problem, rather than not having enough brightness. A replacement to the green on the sleeves is certainly good, but could remain equally dark to keep the realistic nature of the colourscheme.

Regardless, looks excellent!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 02-23-2011 09:43 PM

an extra color might be a good idea. but that blue is most defiantly not the right color. there is som red in our army already, try the army red en highlight a bit brighter. or maybe shadow gray with white. always word well with dark colors.

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 02-24-2011 03:04 AM

I do agree with Bolg and Hashut's... this blue is a no.
I would second Bolg, try a brighter red. Green and red work really well together. You can also warm up the greens.. yes it will be less realistic but will attract the eye better.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-24-2011 07:24 AM

Yeah, the blue on the Photoshop image is a little bit too bright. I was thinking about a more greyish blue like on the Wizard and Free Company champion.

To me it seems that the green is neutral enough to add a little more color, and red doesn't really work. It's still too dark...

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-01-2011 06:11 PM

A little update. I've haven't been working on the Flaggelants, but I have finished a Warrior Priest. So I made a crappy picture...

And I have another question. I still have to think of a design for the shields in my army, but I'm not really inspired.. Would this be too cheesy?

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 03-01-2011 08:33 PM

What about a chicken drum-stick with a bite out of it lol
or put fish on the shields like mordheim ones

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 03-02-2011 01:35 AM

IMO the knife and fork would look great for the sheilds! Maybe even unit specific designs?

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 03-02-2011 06:37 AM

not to cheesy! go for it! oh and love the warrior priest!

RE: Empire Blog - Loki - 03-02-2011 08:48 AM

Great looking army has such character Happy i knife and fork i think is a must it goes with every thing that the halflings stand for Happy

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 03-02-2011 09:09 AM

I like tjub's idea to use a diffrent design for each unit. Moltan already gave to alternatives for it.

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 03-02-2011 01:37 PM

Each regiment shall have its own heraldry.
Why do not add a fishbone? :-)

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 03-02-2011 03:23 PM

Great idea for the shields!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-03-2011 09:18 PM

I think I will paint a few different design on the shield. Chickens, fish bones, forks etc. The Greatswords will all get the knife and fork design because they're more organised.

But work on the Halflings has halted once again, because I've been distracted by something else...

RE: Empire Blog - nitroglysarine - 03-04-2011 04:00 AM

Not to cheesy at all, In fact perfectly in keeping with the feel of the halflings.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-19-2011 08:18 PM

So I've started working on my Halflings once again. But for now I don't have any progress pictures. Instead, a pic from todays battle vs. Bolg. Some very cute Halflings getting eaten by Big Uns and Bull Centaurs :'(

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 05-20-2011 03:05 AM

poor little halflings. How did the rest of the battle go ?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-24-2011 07:16 PM

I got crushed, but every battle with this army is fun. Everything a Halfling kills is a victory!

And now I bring you some new pics!

First, my very cute little Pegasus rider

And some WIP Outriders!

I also wanted to ask you guys for some advice. This is the guy I currently use as BSB, but he's not really interesting (the banner is still WIP).

So I had a look through my bitsbox, and found this giant banner, and the perfect guy to hold it.

This is the model holding the banner:

What do you think? Is the banner too big for these cute little guys, or could it work?

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 05-24-2011 09:12 PM

Oh I love the new Battlebanner, that would totally work.

RE: Empire Blog - Baraz Gorechain - 05-24-2011 11:22 PM

Bolg Wrote:
Oh I love the new Battlebanner, that would totally work.

That new banner is wicked awesome. Those are the perfect rascals to hoist the colours.

Depending on your freehand skills, you can also depict one of the holiest of halfling myths: The Next Supper

RE: Empire Blog - G.2 - 05-25-2011 02:39 AM

These are looking really good. I think that you have managed to create a really beautiful army. Keep them coming.

RE: Empire Blog - Xander - 05-25-2011 09:15 AM

I have a bunch of old halfings sitting around that were once going to be a part of an empire army.  I even had some of the older ones, like the spearman chap with the pot on his head.  

Great army.

RE: Empire Blog - Waste Rider - 05-25-2011 12:04 PM

Well, now I know what The Moot looks like when amassed for war Big Grin I think the piggy back halflings there would be great for the banner
and for possible designs...

a Roasted Turkey rampant at the fore w/ some cooking implements crossed below it (fork and knife to tie in shields?)

Muffins or like a muffin with eyes wearing a crown or laurels.

Arcimboldo's "vegetable face" paintings remind me of halflings also and would make a great banner.

Really cool, didn't realize there were other halfling minis besides DoW and Mordheim uns'. That guy with the sandwich is killer Tongue

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 05-25-2011 02:44 PM

I think the giant sized banner is perfect in line with the rest of your army Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Blue in VT - 05-25-2011 03:51 PM

I personally really like the outrider halflings...big guns for little people...awesome!

Blue

RE: Empire Blog - Loki - 05-26-2011 06:09 AM

Great pics am loving that Pegasus rider Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-27-2011 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the positive reactions!

I was just working on the banner, but I have no idea what to paint on it. It's such a huge surface! You guys got any more brilliant ideas? Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Nazhur - 05-27-2011 02:13 PM

Awsome army, looks really good Happy Keep it up!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 05-27-2011 03:08 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
but I have no idea what to paint on it. It's such a huge surface! You guys got any more brilliant ideas? Happy

It should be a still life with food.

something like this:
(with more color)
or:
http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/images/aria/sk/org/sk-a-337.org?aria/maxwidth_288
or:

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-27-2011 09:10 PM

Bolg Wrote:

Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 05-28-2011 02:26 AM

Great looking BSB, like the food on the banner and ofcourse the rooster

RE: Empire Blog - G.2 - 05-28-2011 02:50 AM

WOW!!! Is that banner real or is it Photoshoped. Either way it looks perfect. Exactly as Bolg suggested. It is very halfling/hobbit/moot -esque. It fits perfectly. Job well done!

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 05-28-2011 04:20 AM

Awesome banner! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 05-28-2011 07:29 AM

Damn!! that that turned out even freaking better than I thought! sweet banner!
And just in time for the tournament tomorrow (:

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 05-29-2011 03:36 PM

Me and Bas played at a double tournament today. 2x 1200 points. I brought 1200 points of CD along Bas brilliant empire. we came 2nd, not because we got so many victory points but we did have maximum points for painting (:

Oh and the halflings won best painted.

unfortunately the pictures I took came up a bit crappy, here is a link to the set op flicrr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57736712@N05/sets/72157626834584288/

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-30-2011 07:31 AM

YAAAAY! Thanks for the pics Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 06-07-2011 02:38 PM

So today I played some games vs. Bolg, and we made some pics of the epic battles!

We played 1500 points, my Halflings vs his Chaos Dwarfs. In the first game my luck never seemed to end.. until turn 2 ;p

My Halflings were about to get charged by a whole lot of misery...

And that didn't end well.

I was wiped out, and we decided to play a second game.

And again it didn't look too good for my Halflings.

But then the brave archers charged his Orcs in their flank, and managed to hold them up for a turn!

Next turn, I charged the Orcs, and with some help from the Lore of Light, the Halflings destroyed the Orcs!

All in all, it were some fun games, and I really like playing with this army! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - G.2 - 06-07-2011 07:30 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
We played 1500 points, my Halflings vs his Chaos Dwarfs.

WOW!, what a combination. This is something that you will not read about in White Dwarf. But it is something that I would love to play, or at leat watch. So well done for recording the battle for us.

My only critisim was the lack of "lovely" terrain on the table, as this makes for very appealing photos. Other than that it sounds like a real fun battle.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 06-07-2011 08:39 PM

G.2 Wrote:
WOW!, what a combination. This is something that you will not read about in White Dwarf. But it is something that I would love to play, or at leat watch. So well done for recording the battle for us.

Yeah It defiantly was fun. 1500 points is a nice amount fr a nice scrap around between to two powerful army's.  maybe in the3 near future we should keep track of all the turns again an write it into a battle-report again.

I'm uploading some of the pictures I took of the battle as we speak, i'll ad a link to the flickr account when they'll be online.

[edit]
the new pictures are of way better quality than the previous attempt.... but still you should really see these little fellows in real life. just stunning.

Photo's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57736712@N05/sets/72157626834584288/with/5809767863/
(form pic 14 onwards ist fresh stuff)

[/edit]

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 06-08-2011 02:38 AM

Halflings vs Chaos Dwarfs? Short angainst shorter? Big Grin

Epic battle, I'd love to be there and watch two awesome armies.

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 06-08-2011 03:23 AM

@ blog and bas, where do you play in the netherlands, then I might come and have a look Tongue

RE: Empire Blog - Loki - 06-08-2011 05:42 AM

Great looking army , the bsb is amazing and just works so well , looking forward to seeing more from these little guys in the future Happy

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 06-08-2011 06:00 AM

furrie Wrote:
@ blog and bas, where do you play in the netherlands, then I might come and have a look Tongue

Subcultures in Utrecht Happy I'd be fun to meet another CDO member!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 06-08-2011 07:42 AM

bas_2312 Wrote:

furrie Wrote:

Subcultures in Utrecht Happy I'd be fun to meet another CDO member!

Site of the shop: http://desubc.ning.com/ shop has a great gaming area. and I'm also all for a hook up (:

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 06-08-2011 08:11 AM

Do you have that massive elf fortress in your gaming club? O_o

my modellist side says "awesome"!

My Chaos Dwarf side says "well, bigger it is easier to hit with earthshakers!" ;-)

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 07-02-2011 12:42 PM

Bas, put up some work in progress pics of the stuff you are working on!!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-02-2011 05:44 PM

I just tried to make some pics. Out of the 21 I made.. none were in focus. So I guess I'll have to tried again later ;p

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-07-2011 06:47 PM

Ok time for some new pics! Again, they're not really good, but it's better than nothing I guess Happy

First some new warmachines!

Another "Mortar"

And a Halfling sized Helblaster Volley Gun!

And now the good stuff. I'm working on my unit of Flaggelants. The first rank is finished.

I also got to have some fun with the conversions, like this unit filler.

And finally, the entire unit.

I'll try to make some pics of the Halflings in action soon, as I can't seem to make decent pictures here at home...

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 07-07-2011 07:44 PM

I've already fallen in love with the entire front rank!!!

RE: Empire Blog - Admiral - 07-08-2011 06:11 AM

Excellent army! It's brilliant. Here, have some slaves.

RE: Empire Blog - Nicodemus - 07-08-2011 10:39 PM

Wait a minute... they're the right size, but where are the beards and the evilness?!?

Seriously though, great looking stuff, absolutely love it!!
~N

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 07-09-2011 03:24 AM

Wow, hot (short) chicks, beer and BBQ? My Chaos Dwarfs want to join the party!!! Big Grin

Best flagellant unit ever!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-11-2011 02:42 PM

BLAM! The unit is finished already, and I'm really pleased with the result Happy

Again, sorry for the terrible pics. I'll try to make some better ones tomorrow.

Up next.. a Warrior Priest to make these girls a Core choice Happy

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-22-2011 08:14 AM

I don't have pics of my Warrior Priest yet, but I have been working on a War Altar and really wanted to share some pics.

Yeaahh.. I forgot to take pictures of the entire model, and focused on the part I'm really proud of; the bored Arch Lector that's sitting on top of a pizza oven.

I've also finished a Cockatrice for a tournament this weekend. He will probably be used as a Griffon for my General later.

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 07-22-2011 08:26 AM

Great sculpting there, and an awesome idea! What pats did you use for the throne/chair?

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 07-22-2011 09:08 AM

Wow that lector is done very well!

Love the death chicken!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-22-2011 09:42 AM

Thanks guys!

The throne is from the Lizardmen Stegadon, with some parts cut away and some Steamtank bits added on Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Necrotique - 07-22-2011 10:44 AM

I don't think I've commented yet but the blog looks amazing and I really love the creativity of it Happy
The greenstuffing in it's also pretty impeccable - really loving that war altar!

Cheers!

RE: Empire Blog - BeeZharr - 07-22-2011 12:48 PM

I've just discovered this too. These Halflings are just wonderful, I love them.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-26-2011 03:36 PM

Thanks guys Happy I appreciate the reactions!

But now for something completely different. I didn't really feel like painting Halflings, so I dug up these awesome mini's I bought some time ago. Hopefully some of you know who they're supposed to represent Wink

RE: Empire Blog - Kered - 07-26-2011 04:34 PM

Very nice , I like the detail on the sonic screwdriver. Odd that they are on the same base though.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 07-26-2011 08:46 PM

Hee!! keep painting those halflings!!! d:

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 12-11-2011 05:22 PM

Yay! Time to work on some Halflings again!

I've been sculpting the last week, and this is was I came up with. I started out sculpting a bad ass mounted Warrior Priestess, but I ended up with a Disney Princess. Never thought I would put my Disney Princess knowledge to practical use..

I leave it up to you guys to tell what Princess it is supposed to be ;p

And now it's time for some manly sports, cars and facial hair ;p

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 12-11-2011 07:04 PM

This is so freaking awesome!  Your collection best painted army awards must surely rise to wallpaper proportions!

RE: Empire Blog - Nicodemus - 12-11-2011 11:59 PM

Awesome Rapunzel & Maximus there.  The Frying pan is the giveaway Wink

Flynn Rider: Is that blood in your mustache?  Goldie, look at this! Look at all the blood in his mustache! Good sir, that's a lot of blood!

Awesome movie.  Even after the 20th+ time and listening to the soundtrack even more than that Tongue

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 12-12-2011 08:15 AM

Yay you recognized her! ^^

Next step of course is a unit of Free Company modeled after the Snuggly Duckling crew ;p

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 12-20-2011 02:51 PM

This weekend I played at an awesome tournament, and someone made some pics of my army Happy

RE: Empire Blog - theforgefather - 12-20-2011 03:10 PM

what do you make your ponies from, because I want to expand my empire into halflings and humans, possibly even converted kislev.

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 12-20-2011 03:22 PM

LOVE your hafling army!

RE: Empire Blog - rabotak - 12-20-2011 03:38 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
Yay you recognized her! ^^

Next step of course is a unit of Free Company modeled after the Snuggly Duckling crew ;p

now that would be epic!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-11-2012 02:19 PM

Time for some news! Our local group of gamers are starting a campaign, and my Halfling will get some reinforcements. This is my to do list:

- 50 Free Company
- 50 Halberdiers
- 10 Greatswords
- 30 Flaggelants
- Cannon

So only about 150 mini's, and half of them I still need to convert. So I'll have to get busy in the next few weeks... More ideas for Flaggelant conversion are welcome! Happy

theforgefather Wrote:
what do you make your ponies from, because I want to expand my empire into halflings and humans, possibly even converted kislev.

My ponies are made from... ponies ;p

For the Outriders I used the Hobbits from The Scouring of the Shire, and I have a couple of ponies from the 1980 LOTR range.

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 01-11-2012 02:49 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
Time for some news! Our local group of gamers are starting a campaign, and my Halfling will get some reinforcements. This is my to do list:

- 50 Free Company
- 50 Halberdiers
- 10 Greatswords
- 30 Flaggelants
- Cannon

So only about 150 mini's, and half of them I still need to convert. So I'll have to get busy in the next few weeks... More ideas for Flaggelant conversion are welcome! Happy

theforgefather Wrote:

My ponies are made from... ponies ;p

For the Outriders I used the Hobbits from The Scouring of the Shire, and I have a couple of ponies from the 1980 LOTR range.

How do the hobits/halflings them self do in comparison with the old halflings? And what do you plan to use as a cannon?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-11-2012 02:57 PM

furrie Wrote:
How do the hobits/halflings them self do in comparison with the old halflings? And what do you plan to use as a cannon?

The LOTR Hobbits have more realistic proportions, so their heads, hands and feet are alot smaller than the Halflings. But they work great as a base for conversions.

For the cannon I'm using one of the Dogs of War Bronzino's Galloper Guns, because they're small enough to fit the Halflings Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Parish - 01-11-2012 04:04 PM

aaaargh just fell in love....

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 01-11-2012 04:08 PM

Parish Wrote:
aaaargh just fell in love....

This army is one of the reasons I wanted to start a halfling army Tongue

RE: Empire Blog - dncswlf - 01-11-2012 04:27 PM

bas_2312... wow.. just wow... your halfling army rocks!  The full army pics look great.. such variety... how did they do in the tournament?

I just love the halfling hot pot catapults!

Great collection!!

RE: Empire Blog - dncswlf - 01-11-2012 04:44 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:

Bolg Wrote:

Big Grin

oh. my. goodness!!!

Have some slaves for this one!!  wow!

Shock

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-14-2012 05:59 PM

Heh, thanks guys! You're making me blush ;p

I could use your help on something. At the moment I'm working on another unit of these ladies:

The problem is that I don't want both units to look the same, so I want to convert a lot on this unit. What would be cool?

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 01-14-2012 06:26 PM

You could have a unit filler of a group of them playing bridge or something.  Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Kera foehunter - 01-15-2012 06:39 AM

Love the Female unit of halflings Bravo

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 01-15-2012 07:07 AM

ryanamandaanna Wrote:
You could have a unit filler of a group of them playing bridge or something.  Big Grin

Or drinking thea and telling gossips Tongue

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 01-15-2012 07:54 AM

A couple of ideas:

1. W.A.C.K.O. (Women Against Chaos, Kids and Ogres), complete with protest signs and picket lines.
2. A group of camp followers, singers and models, all led by Lady GaGa, warrior priestess of Esmerelda.
3. Engineers, doctors and insane scientists who do their best to invent ever-better cannons, guns, ovens and laundry machines.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 01-15-2012 04:19 PM

paint them as nuns (:

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 01-15-2012 06:25 PM

Bolg Wrote:
paint them as nuns (:

with rulers!  that would be awesome!  Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-19-2012 08:20 PM

Just like Bolg I'm joining a campaign, so I had to make a city marker. This is what I came up with. I hope the pic is clear enough Happy

Now I just have to think of something cool for my army markers Happy

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 01-20-2012 12:08 AM

Hobbiton?

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 01-20-2012 03:13 AM

Looks great!

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 01-20-2012 04:05 AM

Cool! Next markers:

brewery!
The High Hay as a sort of fortress...

Happy

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 01-20-2012 05:00 AM

Nice looking marker

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-20-2012 06:46 PM

Thanks guys!

Here's another better pic:

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 01-21-2012 05:54 AM

Will your city be next to a river or did you just think it looked cool to model a bridge? Either way, it looks fantastic.

By the way, can you give us more details about the campaign and what armies your opponents will use? I'm interested in who else will feel the wrath of the Halfling Empire. Cheers!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 01-21-2012 12:49 PM

All painted up that marker is uber freaking awesome!

as for the army markers, maybe go for a icon or soldier of the theme as the army. (or something) good luck.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-22-2012 09:02 PM

Obsidian Muse Wrote:
By the way, can you give us more details about the campaign and what armies your opponents will use? I'm interested in who else will feel the wrath of the Halfling Empire. Cheers!

Sure, I'll try to keep this blog updated with details of the campaign when it starts. There's Bolg with his Goblin army, there's a Bretonnian army, an Ogre army, a Dark Elf army, a Vampire Counts army and another Orc & Goblin player. We have played a couple of testgames to decide the overall powerlevel of the army, but the real campaign should begin next week Happy

For now, a little update with some painted Halflings!

First, a cannon.

And now the real fun, a Flaggelant unit filler.

While I was working on these gals (), I kept hearing Patrick Star in my head.

RE: Empire Blog - Castellan - 01-22-2012 11:57 PM

Beautiful models!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 01-23-2012 06:11 PM

the unit filler is awesome!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-29-2012 09:21 PM

Time for another update, right before starting the campaign!

So tomorrow we're going to start playing games for the campaign, but I hadn't finished my armymarkers yet. It took me a while to figure out what to model for these things, but in the end I think they turned out really cool. I decided to make a little banner for each of my three armies, but to do this, all armies needed their own BSB! So I also got to make some more cool characters Happy

So here's what I've come up with:

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 01-30-2012 12:26 AM

Looks great, this army is so full of character!

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 01-30-2012 04:10 AM

Nice army bsb's. good luck with the campaing and my the dice gods be on your side.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 01-30-2012 08:30 PM

Well, tonight we got to place our armies on the map.

Here's the town of Deephallow in the Black Marsh, surrounded by Dark Elves in the South, and Goblins to the north.

And here's an overview of the entire map. I think it's looking really cool with all those markers!

I didn't get to play a game yet since we're with an uneven number of players, but I will meet Bolg on the battlefield later this week. He has sent his Troll horde to the mountains in the north to build a mine, but my general Moro Proudfoot and his army will try to stop them and claim the land for the Halflings. To be continued! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - ChungEssence - 01-31-2012 02:29 AM

Amazing food centric banners.

Ho ho.

Your army is hilarious. Good halflings. The true heroes of the empire!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-12-2012 01:00 PM

Bolg keeps telling me I don't show enough WIP pictures, so I thought I should start doing that.

So here is the second unit of Flaggelants I've put together. Now the painting can begin! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 02-12-2012 03:49 PM

Looks good!!
(and thanx for the WIP shot)

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 02-13-2012 01:26 AM

Ill have to agree with Bolg, the more the better! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 02-13-2012 06:17 AM

The second Halfling from the left seems to be wielding a Goblin foot. I have no idea why she's doing that, but it looks awesome.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-13-2012 10:29 AM

Hehe, the second Halfling from the right is carrying an entire Goblin. Last week my Flaggelants killed all Bolg's Goblins heroes, so that got immortalized in these models ;p

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-16-2012 01:17 PM

And now for something completely different. I participated in a new years mini exchange for a Dutch website, and the wish list of the person I was assigned was "superhero/pulp". Well, I figured the Rocketeer would fit that description perfectly, so I decided to sculpt him! This is the result:

I really love how it looks inside the blister. Just looks like something you could buy in a store.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 02-16-2012 10:35 PM

Oeeeh very sweet indeed to see him all, painted up.

Oh and thanx for trading me a cast of the model, I'm looking forward to painting it for the Brush Slave (:

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-26-2012 03:34 PM

Progress! I've been having a lot of fun with my Halfings in the campaign. Not enough wins so far, but losing gives you cooler upgrades anyway! This weekend I finally had some time (and motivation) to start painting again, and I finished the 10 Greatswords that were waiting for a coat of paint for way too long. Now I have a horde of 30! Big Grin

Ok, so they're not that interesting, but up next are the Flaggelants, since they're performing great in the campaign and deserve to be painted!

RE: Empire Blog - Kera foehunter - 02-26-2012 04:06 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  there so cute  I like them
well being short i like small armys

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 02-26-2012 05:17 PM

...Is that a human near the bear? CHEATER! Angry

Could you perhaps go into more detail about your battles? Who did you fight, what tales of darring-do have your Halfling accomplished, etc.

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 02-26-2012 05:21 PM

Dude... I love your army.  The bear is a nice touch.  Wink

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 02-26-2012 06:33 PM

Obsidian Muse Wrote:
...Is that a human near the bear? CHEATER! Angry

Could you perhaps go into more detail about your battles? Who did you fight, what tales of darring-do have your Halfling accomplished, etc.

It's a Halfling-ized human, so it's been cut apart to be more Halfling sized ^^

I have a nice story from my Halfling housewives in the last battle. I played a game vs. Dark Elves, and we played a scenario with a large tough monster in the middle of the battlefield. The goal was to kill the beast, and the champion of the unit that killed it would get +1W for the remainder of the campaign. So ofcourse my Flaggelants charged it in turn 1, and had no trouble killing it. Gerda (the unit champion) then cut out the heart of the beast and started eating it. After that the Dark Elves were so impressed that they couldn't defeat the Halflings anymore. Without the beast it would have been a draw, but since it was worth 500 VP I won the battle Happy

After each battle in the campaign you have to nominate your best and worst unit to get a bonus or a penalty. My Flaggelants rolled "Bragging rights" which means the champion of the unit gets to choose any weapon from the rulebook, so she's carrying a Great Weapon now. My unit of Outriders didn't do anything except die, and they rolled "New recruits" which means they have to make an Ld or charge just like they have Frenzy.

If you guys like it I can write up a little story after each battle in the campaign?

RE: Empire Blog - Kera foehunter - 02-29-2012 07:47 PM

more please

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 02-29-2012 09:34 PM

Cool, I didnt know you played the Monster in the Middle scenario too... Flagellants a way to good for that, I should keep that in mind. (and Damn your army is getting so much character).

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 03-01-2012 09:35 AM

bas_2312 Wrote:
If you guys like it I can write up a little story after each battle in the campaign?

I don't know about the rest, but I'm certainly for it. Bring on the war chronicles of the Halflings!

RE: Empire Blog - JonJon - 03-03-2012 09:20 AM

Wow that a great army blog ,paintjob etcetc Thanks

Jon

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-04-2012 07:48 PM

Well, it seems like I'm really getting in the right spirit of painting again. This weekend while enjoying Ghost Hunters season 5 in the background, I've been working on another unit for my army. So far 26 of the 50 Halberdiers are finished. They still need shields and a banner design, but I'll get to that once all models are painted.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 03-05-2012 10:54 AM

This is good news indeed!!!

Do you still have the bunny button and are you planning to use it?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-10-2012 11:46 AM

Ok guys, I really need your advice. I'm trying to think up a bannerdesign for my Halberdiers and I'm wondering:
Is there such a thing as 'too cute' in an army full of Halflings?

All Halflings in the unit will get a shield with a little bunny on it, so there's a lot of cute already. Now I did a Google images search for bunny+painting to get some inspiration and I found this:

It will ofcourse be Halfling-ized, but the main design will remain the same. Am I going too far with this Halfling=cute idea, or do you think I can pull it off?

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 03-10-2012 12:04 PM

I say go for it, it could be briljant.

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 03-10-2012 12:14 PM

reminds me of the end of lord of the rings with sam's daughter.  Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 03-10-2012 01:28 PM

That banner is -1 to hit on the unit. Go fot it!

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 03-10-2012 01:32 PM

Okay this army has just the right Awesome/Cute Ratio to be followed. I second the Halflings Chronicles of War.

Oh and YES on the Banner with the child and bunny!!!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-10-2012 01:51 PM

Guess that's settled then...

First I'll finish these shield, and then it's time for some freehanding.

RE: Empire Blog - Shakhorth - 03-10-2012 03:16 PM

Those shields are awesome, love the bunny on them!
Where did you find those or did you make them yourself?

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 03-11-2012 04:27 AM

Great shield design! Happy

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 03-11-2012 05:59 AM

Looks great! More pictures of the unit please!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-13-2012 03:03 PM

Thanks guys! For the shields I got some kind of button from Bolg from which I made a mold.

And here is what it looks like on the finished unit (again the pics are in terrible lighting, so I'll try to make some better ones later):

With the banner of cuteness:

I think it turned out pretty good. Ironically in the campaign this unit has fought so well it now causes fear. But lets call it a cuteness check instead of a fear check, when you fail it the unit is too cute to be hit normally ;p

And some more progress, my general on Griffon. It didn't turn out as well as the Pegapony, but it's good enough for the campaign.

So now I can finally play with a fully painted army again in the campaign! I'll make some pics of my Generals campaign army later this week.

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 03-13-2012 03:12 PM

Holy Crap!  Did you hand-paint that banner?!!!?!?!

RE: Empire Blog - Mostyn - 03-13-2012 03:18 PM

Oooh, that banner is flippin awesome and possibly even cuter than the original which is quite an achievement. Shock

Shields also looks fantastic.

Nope, that's it, can't think of any constructive criticism at all.

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 03-13-2012 05:09 PM

* Looks at Bunny Banner *

dead Head explodes from cuteness overload dead

Also, please gives us some more war chronicles of the Might of the Moot.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-13-2012 08:15 PM

Thanks guys! Big Grin

I don't think I will be telling much more stories of the Halfling battles, because I tend to forget most of the battle once it's done.. :$

And just another quick little update for today:

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 03-14-2012 12:57 AM

Wow, amazing work! Stunning banner and the Griffon looks great as well, I would only too something to make it look more like a pony tail. 5/5!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-14-2012 04:39 PM

Thanks tjub! Big Grin

Just tried a little something, and as it turns out I just really suck at taking pictures.

So here's the army of my General in the Campaign:

I don't know of any of you like this, but here's what in the army:

General Moro Proudfoot of Deephallow on his trusted Griffon Alfred.
At first his Griffon was called Squawk and the general kept dying in every battle, but since I've renamed him Alfred he's performed much better!

BSB Dibbul and Dabbul Bracegirdle
Nothing very special about these guys, except that they can handle a lot of pain!

Pippin Panhead on his cute little Pegasus
Just a general annoyance of the enemy.

Master Engineer Pansy Sandyman
A name fit for a coward. He's wearing a cooks outfit, but he's also very handy with the re-rolls for the warmachines.

Halberdier unit "Moot Guard" with champions Mattock the Plump and his cousin Bob.
This unit has earned a second champion, and overall has performed pretty good. They're hardened veterans which means they cause fear, but because of the many wounds they had to suffer they also have -1 Initiative. They also have earned a 6" Vanguard move.

Greatswords "Wardens of the Great Pot" with champions Cecil Ghuurk Slayer and Terry.
This unit also has a second champion. Cecil has slain the montrous Ghuurk, which means he gets +1 wound and thanks to his great performance he also has a 3+ armoursave instead of the normal 4+.

Huntsmen "Birnbaum Night Patrol" with champion Bill Benno.
This unit mostly just dies, but sometimes manage to kill something before they do.

Cannon "Old Reliable" crewed by Hugo Hornblower, Hando & Hog
What can I say about this. It can shoot, but that's about it. Most of the time I roll a 1 for the To Wound roll so it's a miracle if it actually kills anything. Should be called "Old Unreliable".

Hellblaster "Leadstorm" crewed by Radock Timmowit, Waldo & Ferdo
Now this guy lives up to his name. I rarely roll less than 8 on the artillery die, so it usually leaves a whole mess of mangled Goblins or other guys in his path.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 03-14-2012 04:39 PM

I Love the shields on that unit!! and I love the banner on that unit!! I just love that unit, you have been painting quit quick indeed!!!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-14-2012 08:49 PM

I'm sorry for the boatload of updates, but I just came across this and I had to share.

At the end of 2008 I started a Dogs of War blog on another forum, and it nicely chronicles my decent into madness. The first few posts are all about manly Pikeman and Crossbowmen and Cavalry. And then on January 2nd 2009 this happens:

Young, innocent me. If I had only known. The weeks after that I seemingly lost interest in my Dogs of War. And then on May 8th I posted this:

So no nicely painted Pikemen or anything like that, but Halflings. Two weeks later I posted my final post in that blog.

Well, we all know how this turned out.

Hope you guys like this blast from the past, it really made me laugh. ^^

RE: Empire Blog - Cassarus - 03-21-2012 09:11 AM

This is an amazing army, and I do love it!
You've done a great job on them, so bre proud!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 03-21-2012 04:35 PM

Hahahahahhaaa, that flashback is soo funny (:

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 03-22-2012 03:39 AM

When I go back to the forum your halflings blog is one of the first I check in the off topic section. Really good work, full of character! :-)

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 03-29-2012 03:50 PM

The pics for the upcoming Empire release have made my brainjuices flow again, so get ready for some way too cute Halfling adventures.

For now I don't have any pictures yet, but I just wanted to share my idea with you guys Happy

+

=

RE: Empire Blog - speedygogo - 03-29-2012 06:37 PM

Bas you have made such a fantastic army, something to definitely be proud of.  I also like your idea for the Chicko-gryphs.

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 03-29-2012 07:11 PM

Are you even asking if that's a good Idea? JUST GO FOR IT DUDE!!! That's gonna be friggin awesome

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 03-30-2012 12:19 AM

Yeah, go for it! It might work out great...

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 03-30-2012 02:41 AM

Ha ha! Can't wait!

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 03-30-2012 01:08 PM

Personally I would wait to read the army book first, to see if they're worth the effort. But then I don't actually have a finished army. Go for it! Cheers!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 03-30-2012 09:42 PM

Skink Wrote:
Are you even asking if that's a good Idea? JUST GO FOR IT DUDE!!! That's gonna be friggin awesome

What Skink says.

This idea is soo cool!! Get to work! I want to see those for the Battle of the Cubs d:

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 03-30-2012 10:39 PM

I want chicken riders!

RE: Empire Blog - Abecedar - 03-30-2012 11:43 PM

your army is truly inspiring and such fun too.  I Love halflings (though mine are a forlorn group hidden away in a box somewhere)

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 03-31-2012 04:41 AM

In related news, there's a Citadel Finecast version of the Halfling Hot Pot Catapult available. Considering the description there's probably no rules for it in the new Empire army book though.

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 04-01-2012 04:18 AM

Now, give us some photos! Happy

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-01-2012 06:13 AM

tjub Wrote:
Now, give us some photos! Happy

Here you go. There's not much too see though. I've been a little busy the last days, so I've only started builded up the base. The chickens will get a saddle and barding, and then I have to sculpt the Knights themselves...

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-04-2012 08:17 AM

So that was not really interesting enough for you guys. I hope you like this picture better. I've been working on the "Demigryphs" and they're basically finished. Now on to the knights themselves...

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 04-04-2012 08:52 AM

I love it!  Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Wylfdd - 04-04-2012 10:22 AM

GREAT!

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-04-2012 11:06 AM

Awesome..... Or you know... As awesome chickens can be.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-04-2012 07:51 PM

Awesome chickens!!!

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 04-04-2012 09:03 PM

Ha ha! Fabulous!!

RE: Empire Blog - Admiral - 04-05-2012 03:19 AM

Haha, that's insane! Keep on updating, this log is great. Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 04-05-2012 04:23 AM

Ironclad chickens.

I can die happy now.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-05-2012 01:58 PM

Thanks guys! Big Grin

I don't have an update on the chicken knights yet, but I do have a shopping update.

First a mini I've been looking for for quite some time. He'll probably be a Witch Hunter in my army.

And of course the new armybook!

I didn't have time to really read it, but I did flip through it and... We're in it! ;p

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-05-2012 02:16 PM

Huzzah! *Cracks whip* Now get on with the chickens! Da interweb demands them!

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 04-05-2012 02:24 PM

Do you plan on implementing any other new units, such as one of the magical warmachines or the War Altar?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-05-2012 02:36 PM

The Odor Wrote:
Huzzah! *Cracks whip* Now get on with the chickens! Da interweb demands them!

Oof. I could expect a reply like this with all those Chaos Dwarf slavemasters around here. But I'm just a scrawny little Halfling? ;p

Obsidian Muse Wrote:
Do you plan on implementing any other new units, such as one of the magical warmachines or the War Altar?

New units = new conversion opportunities, so I would like to include them. I already have a War Altar (it's on this blog somewhere), but that's still unpainted. And I don't have any cool ideas for a Halflingized magic mobile yet...

RE: Empire Blog - JMR - 04-05-2012 06:05 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
But I'm just a scrawny little Halfling? ;p

Somehow this doesn't rhyme with your forum avatar Big Grin

Your halflings are a joy to look at, Bas. I'm looking forward to see how your chicken-riders progress. Keep at it!

By the way, that book isn't supposed to be available yet, is it? ...Sneaky hobbitses...

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 04-06-2012 10:21 AM

Great!!! Can' wait to see those "Demigryphs" complete!!!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-06-2012 02:24 PM

You're all creative guys, so I need your help! After reading the Empire armybook it seems that the wizard mobiles are a must have for an Empire army. The only problem is that the model doesn't fit with my army (and scratchbuilding is more fun anyway). This is where you come in. I need ideas, the crazier the better. So tell me:

What would a Halfling Hurricanum or Luminark look like?

It needs to be a cart with 2 Horses and 2 crew to fit the profile. Otherwise it's basically free for all. The Hurricanum can summon a magical storm and gives offensive bonusses and the Luminark can shoot like a magical boltthrower and helps with the defense.

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-06-2012 02:55 PM

Is there any mentioning of Halflings joining the collages of magic? Then you could do simillar wagons with cute little Halfling mages pimping about... Or even if they dont get to join (stupid humies. They should know halflings are cute) you could say they got their insparation from the normal carts and cobbled together their own version.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-06-2012 03:35 PM

The Odor Wrote:
Is there any mentioning of Halflings joining the collages of magic? Then you could do simillar wagons with cute little Halfling mages pimping about... Or even if they dont get to join (stupid humies. They should know halflings are cute) you could say they got their insparation from the normal carts and cobbled together their own version.

I don't think the wizard mobiles are Halfling enough to fit in my army. I could make mini versions, but the fun thing with Halflings is that you get to do something crazy with the army, just like the Chicken Knights.

Ooh, and another question for you guys. Would it be too much to give the Chicken Knights chicken cloaks? Just like the White Wolf cloaks, but feathers and a chickenhead? It sounds crazy and that's why I like the idea... But maybe it's a step too far?

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-06-2012 03:53 PM

I want those cloaks. I had another idea for the carts but cant seem to type it down in a way that makes it understandable...

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-06-2012 04:06 PM

The Odor Wrote:
I want those cloaks. I had another idea for the carts but cant seem to type it down in a way that makes it understandable...

Only one other option.... PHOTOSHOP IT! Wink

RE: Empire Blog - Obsidian Muse - 04-06-2012 04:41 PM

For the Hurricanum I would make a moving, mechanical kitchen, complete with a immense potato cannon or soup catapult. The offensive bonuses would be presented by a Halfling Cook throwing pastries and pies around, for as we all know, the Halflings have no equal in the kitchen.

The Luminark on the other hand, I would take a circus wagon with a baby dragon within it. The baby dragon - or other baby monster for that matter - would explain the magical bolts. Or if you want something crueler, you could imprison a Goblin Shaman. Perhaps the Halfling jailers will even dress their captive up as a jester.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-06-2012 05:01 PM

Obsidian Muse Wrote:
For the Hurricanum I would make a moving, mechanical kitchen, complete with a immense potato cannon or soup catapult. The offensive bonuses would be presented by a Halfling Cook throwing pastries and pies around, for as we all know, the Halflings have no equal in the kitchen.

The Luminark on the other hand, I would take a circus wagon with a baby dragon within it. The baby dragon - or other baby monster for that matter - would explain the magical bolts. Or if you want something crueler, you could imprison a Goblin Shaman. Perhaps the Halfling jailers will even dress their captive up as a jester.

Ooooh! I like your ideas!

I also have this model which I was planning to use as a War Altar. Do you guys like it as a War Altar, or would it be more fitting as one of the wizard mobiles?

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-06-2012 05:12 PM

I will say waralter. And I cant remember: will you do a witch hunter halfling?

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 04-06-2012 05:17 PM

A pizza oven should totally be a war altar. It's thematically perfect for your army.

For the Hurricanum: I can't see any reason why you can't make Halfling wizards. Exaggerate their look like giving them a Disney classic: blue dress with yellow stars pattern and conical hats!!! Instead of horses you can use ponies and instead of the planetarium a giant recipe book around which are rotating ingredients (steaks, salt, oil, etc.).

I was going to suggest a giant tube of mayonaise for the Luminark but maybe i'm pushing it a bit too far...

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 04-06-2012 06:17 PM

How about useing chained up Oger's as horse's with halflngs with cattle prods or simaler or a chunk of meat of a pole like the carrot and donky.

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-06-2012 06:34 PM

That sounds cruel... These arent Dawi Zharr you know... They have a bunny banner?

RE: Empire Blog - clam - 04-07-2012 02:54 AM

bas_2312 Wrote:

This is probably the coolest idea I've seen in years. Cant hardly wait to see the riders and then see them painted. Cool, cool work - Bas Takes Hat off

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-07-2012 10:30 AM

bas_2312 Wrote:
....I need ideas, the crazier the better. So tell me....

....The Hurricanum can summon a magical storm and gives offensive bonusses...

Cooks stirring like crazy in a big pot so whirlpools/vortexes form maybe.

Or perhaps a screaming 'houswife'

And for the other one, Gandalf and his cart, with some hobbits fire-ing his big firewoks?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-08-2012 11:52 AM

The Odor Wrote:
I will say waralter. And I cant remember: will you do a witch hunter halfling?

Yup, this will be my Witchhunter:

Bolg Wrote:
Cooks stirring like crazy in a big pot so whirlpools/vortexes form maybe.

Or perhaps a screaming 'houswife'

And for the other one, Gandalf and his cart, with some hobbits fire-ing his big firewoks?

Yeah, I think the Hurricanum will be a giant Cauldon on wheels will some platforms nailed to it where the crew can stand on. On another forum someone suggested a Windmill on wheels and that would also be an awesome modelling opportunity, so I'm still deciding what would be the best idea.

I'm saving the idea of Gandalf and his fireworks for the Helstorm Rocket Battery Happy

For the Luminark it might be the best idea to just model a giant boltthrower or something like it, but I'm not convinced yet...

And a little update: Work on the Demigryphs is progressing slowly. I hate having to wait after each layer of greenstuff. I only have to finish the arms on the knights though, so maybe I can show the finished models later tonight.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-08-2012 01:50 PM

Wind mills sounds good! i still plan to make one for a terrain piece, should be awesome.

And looking fw to more wip pictures!

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 04-08-2012 04:13 PM

Can't wait to see the next set of updates! Love all this wackiness!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-10-2012 10:04 AM

Here's another update on the Chicken Knights. I guess they're finished, although I'm not really happy about the Knights themselves.

Close-up on the champion with the Chickenslayer helmet and cloak.

And close-up on the musician.

The sculpting on these guys took so much time, so I'm kinda sick of them ;p In the meantime I've also been working on my armylist, and I don't even know if I can fit these Knights in. Might have to work on a Hurricanum, but I'm not really motivated at the moment...

RE: Empire Blog - Wylfdd - 04-10-2012 11:06 AM

very nice!
Hug!
Takes Hat off

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-10-2012 12:08 PM

Wow but THE result is awesome! Love the knights and the extra chickens on the base.
I hope you can fit these in your list, ase they are freaking cool. But whiteout these the army is still top notch so no worries.

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 04-10-2012 12:44 PM

They're looking great!

RE: Empire Blog - Shakhorth - 04-10-2012 12:51 PM

Those knights look awesome!!!!
Keep at it, don't lose hope...

RE: Empire Blog - Lord Archaon - 04-10-2012 01:15 PM

Chiken knights are awesome! It would scare me to death if i saw something like this on a real battlefield Wink

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 04-11-2012 12:39 AM

They look great!

RE: Empire Blog - Stepper - 04-11-2012 02:32 AM

Ubercool

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-15-2012 04:33 PM

Well, here's a chickenless update!

First, I've finished greenstuff work on my Witch Hunter. First plan was to use a pistol from the Pistolier set, but that was bigger than the Halfling...

And I've started planning the Hurricanum. I've decided the idea of a windmill would make the most interesting centrepiece model, so that's what I'm going to try to make Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-16-2012 12:10 AM

Stepper Wrote:
Ubercool

What he said!

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-16-2012 02:57 AM

Neat witch hunter.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-16-2012 10:14 AM

I couldn't wait to get started, so today I build the basic shape of the windmill. I was not really sure about the size, so I started cutting some cardboard and after some changes, here's what it will look like when it's finished:

So as you can see it's quite big, but not too big. Here's what one of the first mock-ups looked like:

From here I will add a layer of balsawood to form the details, and I still have to figure out the cart-part, the part where the wheels attach to the mill... And also I keep thinking poor horsies... so maybe I have to think of something else to pull the cart.

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-16-2012 06:39 PM

I love it!! but its effin huge!! will it break up with magnets or does it fit your model case like this??

(if all fails use it as an awesome terrain pice and practice and make a smaller version for the army.)

Oh and I love the ponies in the front, it looks good... If you change it, make sure it looks good over its more 'realistic" we are talking a bout a magical chariot here....

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 04-16-2012 11:39 PM

Looks good, but finish the chicken riders first! I really want to see the... Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 04-17-2012 02:08 AM

Everything looks cool, and I second tjub: finish those knights!!! Coolest idea ever!!!

Regarding the mill you're right, it looks a bit huge IMO. Maybe you can make it a little bit smaller?

RE: Empire Blog - JMR - 04-17-2012 05:02 AM

Looks good Bas. I think the size is quite okay, but if you do want to go smaller, you could consider going much smaller and adding patches of tulips and whatnot. Turn it in to a mini-Keukenhof Wink

For the non-dutchies: http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/

RE: Empire Blog - furrie - 04-17-2012 05:06 AM

should the mill work without horses, so a wind powered cart?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-17-2012 07:20 AM

Bolg Wrote:
I love it!! but its effin huge!! will it break up with magnets or does it fit your model case like this??

(if all fails use it as an awesome terrain pice and practice and make a smaller version for the army.)

Oh and I love the ponies in the front, it looks good... If you change it, make sure it looks good over its more 'realistic" we are talking a bout a magical chariot here....

Yeah, realisme in Warhammer is overrated. I just hope it will look good.

At the moment I'm working out some kind of system with magnets to make it easier to transport, and it should break up in about 3 or 4 parts.

tjub Wrote:
Looks good, but finish the chicken riders first! I really want to see the... Happy

Skink Wrote:
Everything looks cool, and I second tjub: finish those knights!!! Coolest idea ever!!!

The Chicken Knights are finished, but you'll just have to wait until the end of the month to see them Happy

JMR Wrote:
Looks good Bas. I think the size is quite okay, but if you do want to go smaller, you could consider going much smaller and adding patches of tulips and whatnot. Turn it in to a mini-Keukenhof Wink

For the non-dutchies: http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/

I'd love to add tulips and other flowers to this army. The cuteness factor would be just enough. I just don't know where to find Warhammer sized flowers...

RE: Empire Blog - JMR - 04-17-2012 07:28 AM

I don't know about tulips, but there are some flowery things available:

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=flower

Tulips would in theory be a very simple shape to make yourself. It would just be very fidgety.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-17-2012 07:00 PM

Thanks JMR! I'll have a look and maybe add some flowers to this army! Happy

I know you all want to see Chicken Knights, but I have another update on the mill for now. I just can't seem to put this project down! So here's the basic structure. It still needs all the detailing, but I really like the way it's turning out. It's pretty big, but I don't know if it's that much bigger than GWs Hurricanum...

And this is the basic plan for transporting. It can break up into four pieces. I might add magnets, but for now it seems it's doesn't really need it.

You guys got any ideas for some silly details? There's a window on the back where the millers wife will be, but other than that it could use some more Happy

RE: Empire Blog - ryanamandaanna - 04-17-2012 07:18 PM

That is looking fantastic!

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-17-2012 08:09 PM

Sick bastard! stop working so damn fast!!!

And how can I ever shoot my doom diver at something as cool, as that!!!

[edit]
but you should look in to some 'roof tiles' (dakpannen), besides that ist the coolest center piece even...
(now I never dare to build my self one)
[/edit]

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-18-2012 05:33 AM

Bolg Wrote:
[edit]
but you should look in to some 'roof tiles' (dakpannen), besides that ist the coolest center piece even...
(now I never dare to build my self one)
[/edit]

Yeah, that's one of the details I still have to add Happy

I don't know if I should use roof tiles or make it look more like this.

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 04-18-2012 05:36 AM

Looks great Bas! What about some washing hanging off the sails?

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 04-18-2012 05:57 AM

Forget what I previously said, this is wonderful! What about a weathercock on the roof , and you can put a cake on the window in front of the miller's wife... After all a snack is all what a Halfling needs isn't it?

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-18-2012 06:50 AM

Ooeh That also looks good, might even fit better with a halfling theme.....

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-18-2012 08:16 AM

Something when I'm working on this thing I feel like this:

When I was adding some details this happened:

Yeah... It can't actually turn. Measuring is hard... Sad

;p

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 04-18-2012 03:23 PM

This is great,are you gona have a millers cat or some mice trying to get to sacks of grain?

I had a second idea how about some warmachine that lobs flour bombs...

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-18-2012 07:37 PM

Moltan Wrote:
This is great,are you gona have a millers cat or some mice trying to get to sacks of grain?

Well, I have to now! ;p

And here's the basic construction done! Now I get to add fun little details like flowers, mice and cats! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 04-19-2012 02:32 AM

...And no cakes on windows?

Jokes a part great job dude. That's friggin awesome

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-19-2012 04:27 AM

I finally saw a picture of the original model... this is so much better!!!!

RE: Empire Blog - javi - 04-19-2012 06:16 AM

Hello!

I have been reading this forum avidly since I first created my account, and this will be my first reply ever.

I really, really, really loved your army. Absolutely inspiring!

Keep the good work, and please do not forget those chicken knights, I can't wait to see them finished  Happy

Regards.

Javi.

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-20-2012 06:09 AM

I've working on the mill some more, and finished the first little details.

Here's the millers wife.

And the lazy old millers cat.

If you guys got any more ideas for details like this I'd love to hear them! Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Shakhorth - 04-20-2012 02:57 PM

WOW, the extra details on the mill are fantastic. Can't wait to see it painting in your army.

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 04-20-2012 03:21 PM

I think the mouse is cool nicking the grain lol

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-22-2012 07:20 AM

Work on the mill has halted since I want to add some more details, but I'm not really sure what or where...

So I've painted my Witch Hunter Happy

And here he's showing off his scarred face...

And finally facing off against his most deadly enemy...

I really like how it turned out, and now I'm really looking forward to painting the mill! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 04-22-2012 09:37 AM

À zombie halfling!!! So cool. Oh and I do love the hunter too.

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 04-22-2012 04:50 PM

Neat witch hunter!

RE: Empire Blog - clam - 04-27-2012 05:29 PM

Love the Hurricanum. Super cool idea (and very Dutch) and will certainly stand out once painted.

And the Witch Hunter is awesome. Would probably have recommended you picking up the one from Heresy Miniatures, but yours are probably even better and suits your army/style so well. Awesome, awesome job, bas_2312. Keep it up Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 04-29-2012 05:44 AM

...actually you usually knock out updates kinda often. Any pics you want to share with us of some WIP chicken knights, Hurricanum???

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-29-2012 07:16 AM

Skink Wrote:
...actually you usually knock out updates kinda often. Any pics you want to share with us of some WIP chicken knights, Hurricanum???

I'm afraid there's not much to show.. Last week I had to work towards a deadline, and then accidentally deleted two days of work, so that was fun.

But this reminds me, I still have to make pics for the Brush Slave!

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 04-29-2012 07:56 AM

Thats a shame and bad luck (on the lost work) as your blog is one of the first I look for when I log into CDO...

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-29-2012 08:14 AM

Well, I have to finish a 2400 pts army for a tournament in two weeks, so there will be some more stuff to show soon! Happy

RE: Empire Blog - Loki - 04-29-2012 02:59 PM

Love this army great to see that you have added loads more to it since i have been away, the chicken knights look awesome can’t wait to see more soon Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-29-2012 04:35 PM

Today I started painting my mill. So far it's going pretty good, I think I just need to add some freehands (and of course the main 'blades').

Here's the miller and his animals:

And his wife:

(and yay post #250!)

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 04-29-2012 05:02 PM

Top stuff!'the windmills looking good now it's had a lick of paint and the witch hunter is great!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-06-2012 05:24 PM

Hi guys,

I could use some help! I'm finishing up the mill, but I still want to add some freehands. The problem is, I don't really know what to add. I was thinking to put up some borders in the black edges like these ones (ignore the cow):

Any of you guys have any genious suggestions?

RE: Empire Blog - Thommy H - 05-06-2012 05:36 PM

Ignore the cow? No way: put the cow on it.

RE: Empire Blog - khedyarl - 05-06-2012 05:51 PM

Holy god yes.  Use that cow.  I'll be upset if you don't!

RE: Empire Blog - The Odor - 05-06-2012 06:14 PM

USE THE COW!!! The Halfling slaves demands it!

RE: Empire Blog - brotsorrow - 05-06-2012 09:27 PM

Fantastic progress. Your army is simply WIN!!!! I never thought a hobbit army would look good, and you sir, have proved me wrong - the best way possible.

bas_2312 Wrote:
Every model is GW, but some of them are very old..

The models that I use as Greatswords are from 1984, so they're even older than me! ;o

hmmmm now i feel old being born in 75.....

bas_2312 Wrote:

The Chicken Knights are finished, but you'll just have to wait until the end of the month to see them Happy

Well good sir, the end of the month has passed and we still need these pics Takes Hat off

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 05-06-2012 11:51 PM

Google "boerenbond"

but use less color.

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 05-07-2012 03:41 AM

Go for the cow dude. And add the decoration Bolg posted too!!!

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-07-2012 07:26 AM

Thommy H Wrote:
Ignore the cow? No way: put the cow on it.

khedyarl Wrote:
Holy god yes.  Use that cow.  I'll be upset if you don't!

The Odor Wrote:
USE THE COW!!! The Halfling slaves demands it!

Skink Wrote:
Go for the cow dude.

... No guys ;p A giant cartoon cow is too silly, even for this army.

brotsorrow Wrote:
Fantastic progress. Your army is simply WIN!!!! I never thought a hobbit army would look good, and you sir, have proved me wrong - the best way possible.

Thanks! And the Chicken Knights are somewhere on this forum, you just have to look a little better. I will post them here after the 10th.

Bolg Wrote:
Google "boerenbond"

Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for. Life can be so easy if you just know what to Google ;p Thanks! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 05-07-2012 08:02 AM

You could do a pic of the Moot-land chicken from the empire army book / coat of arms... or an advert on the windmill for miss Miggins meat and potato pie's...

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-09-2012 07:11 PM

So my mill was almost finished... and then the cat happened...

I'm sad Sad

RE: Empire Blog - Admiral - 05-09-2012 07:41 PM

Too bad. Can you repair it by drilling, pinning and gluing?

RE: Empire Blog - Bassman - 05-10-2012 03:15 AM

Nooooo!
Nothing seems to be beyond possibility of repair. You can fix it!
You can even add some battle damage, like they fixed it on the field :-)

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 05-10-2012 05:38 AM

As Fry would say: Fix it!

RE: Empire Blog - Stepper - 05-10-2012 11:42 AM

I just gave curiosity permission to go to you're place, cat problem will be solved shortly Tongue Wink

Stepper

RE: Empire Blog - Moltan - 05-10-2012 01:29 PM

Ya cat musta been after the mouse that's been eating the grain and got scared by the millers cat... lol

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-10-2012 02:02 PM

Moltan Wrote:
Ya cat musta been after the mouse that's been eating the grain and got scared by the millers cat... lol

The millers cat was actually based on one of my sisters cats. Must have made him jealous ;p But they're pretty cute most of the time:

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-11-2012 02:12 PM

Woop! Finally an update without cats, but with actual pictures!

Brush Slave voting has ended for this round, so here's my entry, the Demigryph Knights!

At the moment I'm working on 6 normal Knights for the tournament Sunday. I will try to make an army pic tomorrow, or else I'll make some at the tournament Happy

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-12-2012 03:37 PM

I just had to check if I had all the models I need for the tournament tomorrow, so here's an army pic.

Again, sorry for the crappy pic, maybe someone will make some better tomorrow Happy

RE: Empire Blog - vulcanologist - 05-12-2012 04:38 PM

Nice army shot! Your force is definately coming along!

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 05-12-2012 06:34 PM

1) Amazing chicken knights, they had my vote
2) Can you make a close up of the Halflings riding the chickens and the image on the standard?
3) Pictures of the completed Hurricanum please, and how did you fixed it
4) Those are knights on the right? Pics!!!

EDIT: is that Gigantor used as a wizard? Kinda reminds me of Gandalf visiting the Shire ^^

RE: Empire Blog - Admiral - 05-12-2012 07:21 PM

Beware the Moot militia! Fine army. Happy

RE: Empire Blog - tjub - 05-13-2012 04:26 AM

Love your army!

RE: Empire Blog - Wylfdd - 05-13-2012 08:57 AM

love you army!(2)

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-14-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks guys! You are not the only guys who love this army, because Bolg and me won best painted at yesterdays tournament! We played with a team of 5 guys (the Pin Up Models) and had to choose 2 to nominate for best painted. I still can't believe we actually won! There were lots of guys taking pics of our armies, so hopefully they're will be some more online soon Happy

Skink Wrote:
1) Amazing chicken knights, they had my vote
2) Can you make a close up of the Halflings riding the chickens and the image on the standard?
3) Pictures of the completed Hurricanum please, and how did you fixed it
4) Those are knights on the right? Pics!!!

EDIT: is that Gigantor used as a wizard? Kinda reminds me of Gandalf visiting the Shire ^^

1) Thanks Happy
2) I'll make some more pics soon.
3) I just glued the parts back together and repainted the damage ;p
4) Again, soon ;p

And the wizard is Gandalf from the 1980's version of GW mini game. He's a lot smaller than Nicodemus ;p

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-15-2012 04:51 PM

Yay, pics of my army at the tournament! Big Grin

RE: Empire Blog - Skink - 05-16-2012 03:29 AM

Dude, I'm not meant to be rude but you're not the best photographer in the world. The last photos you posted... Wow. Your army looks gazillions times better than what I'd have ever imagined!!! Wow. Just WOW!!!
Take For instance the halberdiers horde, by your previous photos I thought that their shields were painted in metal colors. Only now i notice that they are actually green and white.

The only thing I'm not really sold on are the armored ponies ridden by the knights.

RE: Empire Blog - Stepper - 05-16-2012 04:28 AM

Gratz on the big prize ^^

Cheers!

Stepper

RE: Empire Blog - Bolg - 05-23-2012 05:29 AM

Hey, those are my squigs. were did you get these pics? are there more? (:

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-23-2012 07:47 AM

Bolg Wrote:
Hey, those are my squigs. were did you get these pics? are there more? (:

Found it online somewhere... Here's all I have:

RE: Empire Blog - Golder Goldeater - 05-24-2012 11:18 AM

Words cannot discribe how awesome this army is!
Maybe a smily face can; Shock
There.

PS; Basing Tutorial?

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-27-2012 07:20 AM

Yesterday we had the closing battle of our campaign. It was a siege battle  and was lots of fun (also nice to combine it with great weather and a BBQ!)

The Halflings managed to clear the flank, and we (the defenders) won the battle. All because of me ofcourse ;p

For now I will retire the Halflings. Time to work on my Chaos Dwarfs again!

RE: Bas' Random Blog (formerly Halfling Empire) - bas_2312 - 06-15-2012 11:42 AM

Since I'm distracted once again from working on my Chaos Dwarfs, I decided to change the title of my Halfling Blog to make room for more random stuff.

I wasn't really in the mood for Fantasy, but I was looking forward to painting some more scifi mini's. Re-watching Firefly might have had some influence in that. Well, Bolg has an impressive Necromunda collection, and I am going to start an Escher warband. While waiting for the mini's to arrive (which they just did) I started to work on some scenery. Well, here's the first batch of WIP terrain:

First I started cutting up loads of plasticard into these neat little sets:

And after a little TLC and a whole lot of plastic glue (I think I actually got a little high of the fumes...) this is the result:

What do you guys think? You like it? And have any more suggestions on more terrain? Let me know! Happy

RE: Bas' Random Blog (formerly Halfling Empire) - Blue in VT - 06-15-2012 03:15 PM

Those look great mate!  how did you do the hinge for the door?

Blue

RE: Bas' Random Blog (formerly Halfling Empire) - theforgefather - 06-15-2012 05:24 PM

Liking the shipping containers!

RE: Bas' Random Blog (formerly Halfling Empire) - bas_2312 - 06-15-2012 06:43 PM

Blue in VT Wrote:
Those look great mate!  how did you do the hinge for the door?

Blue

The containers don't actually open and close. I just glued the one open since I don't want to paint all the insides... I'm lazy like that ;p

RE: Bas' Random Blog (formerly Halfling Empire) - Bolg - 06-15-2012 08:07 PM

Frack they are amazing!! and just the right scale!! but you need ladders loads of ladders to climb these badboys so get cracking.
(and you could have just started a new blog for this)

RE: Bas' Random Blog (formerly Halfling Empire) - bas_2312 - 06-21-2012 07:54 PM

Bolg Wrote:
Frack they are amazing!! and just the right scale!! but you need ladders loads of ladders to climb these badboys so get cracking.
(and you could have just started a new blog for this)

Yeah, I put it in its own thread after all...

RE: Empire Blog - Singleton Mosby - 07-29-2012 05:17 PM

Just stumbled upon this armyblog and I can say I utterly love your halfling armies. Can't wait to see it for real. Have to visit the Sub Wink

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 08-02-2012 09:40 AM

Singleton Mosby Wrote:
Just stumbled upon this armyblog and I can say I utterly love your halfling armies. Can't wait to see it for real. Have to visit the Sub Wink

I always like to play against Chaos Dwarf armies and other CDO members, so send me a PM when you're up for a game Happy

RE: Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 08-24-2013 07:09 AM

*blows away the dust*

Well guys, it's been over a year, but I've something Halflingy to show again!

Since the start of the army I've had the idea of Halfling pistoliers on sheep, and finally I decided to work on it. So here they are:

Still WIP, but they should be finished soon enough Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Willmark - 08-24-2013 10:55 AM

In Comic Book Guy voice: BEST. ARMY. EVER.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Skink - 08-24-2013 01:31 PM

Yay, you're back with some more Halflings!!! The sheeps are awesome, are they casted from a toy or from a sculpt of yours?

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 08-24-2013 02:02 PM

Big Grin Thanks guys!

Skink Wrote:
Yay, you're back with some more Halflings!!! The sheeps are awesome, are they casted from a toy or from a sculpt of yours?

I sculpted the sheep over a model sheep that was way too small.

The original sheep can be seen on the first picture from this blog! It has been some time since that pic has been taken... I should make some new army pictures Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Willmark - 08-25-2013 09:31 AM

You need to work in something with a latrine/outhouse. We all know halflings eat a lot....

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Zanthrax - 08-25-2013 11:01 AM

This blog makes me laugh and to also do a halfling army.

Geat work bas

RE: Empire Blog - Willmark - 08-25-2013 11:44 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
Woop! Finally an update without cats, but with actual pictures!

Brush Slave voting has ended for this round, so here's my entry, the Demigryph Knights!

At the moment I'm working on 6 normal Knights for the tournament Sunday. I will try to make an army pic tomorrow, or else I'll make some at the tournament Happy

This right here may have single-handedly got me back into the modeling aspect of the hobby... No joke the chickens inspired me to work on my next army. Sorry not CDs guys but I'm formulating plans now.

RE: Empire Blog - maxxev - 08-26-2013 05:31 PM

Willmark Wrote:
This right here may have single-handedly got me back into the modeling aspect of the hobby... No joke the chickens inspired me to work on my next army. Sorry not CDs guys but I'm formulating plans now.

Cheers for quoting that i'd missed that, great stuff!

That picture actually makes me want to find a really vicious looking (but small) cockatrice and make it into a halfling mount....

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Skink - 08-26-2013 06:35 PM

Actually it comes to me that you never posted close ups of those Chicken Knights and of your Pony Knights.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 08-26-2013 07:09 PM

Skink Wrote:
Actually it comes to me that you never posted close ups of those Chicken Knights and of your Pony Knights.

Yeah, I realise there are still a couple of models I need to photograph...

Well, the Chicken Knights are ok right? How much closer up do you want to see them?

I still have the Knights and a Griffon conversion to show, and I just touched up my Outriders because I was really unhappy with their paintjob. And the Pistoliers have to be finished before Saturday.

So yeah, expect more pics later this week Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Skink - 08-26-2013 07:36 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
Well, the Chicken Knights are ok right? How much closer up do you want to see them?

...The Standard has what looks like a freehand. And I'm a sucker for freehands you see...

Besides, what's the point to add such intricate details if not to show them on CDO Big Grin.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Moltan - 08-27-2013 10:13 AM

I was looking at all the posts again and when I got to the unit/army standards I had an idea... If you have to do any more have you thought of having a pub signpost Instead of a banner....

something like:

The Pot Belly
Grubs Up
Frog And Hippo

I think you could make up lots of food related pub names that could fit in the army thou it would test your painting skill too.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 08-29-2013 06:11 PM

Not the pics I've promised yet, but here's a quick pic of the Pistoliers:

I'll make some better pictures later Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Yodrin - 08-30-2013 01:26 AM

Ahhh, so cuteHappy

Seriously, those are coolWink

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - JMR - 08-30-2013 04:31 AM

That's pretty awesome, Bas.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 09-02-2013 06:13 AM

This weekend I played a doubles tournament with Bolg and even though we didn't crush our enemies we had a lot of fun. The only exception was those stupid, stupid, STUPID High Elf parrots... I woke up screaming "-1 Strength, always strike last, GWAAAAH" this morning.. :/

But silly elveses aside, we managed to win Best Painted so it was all worth it Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Skink - 09-02-2013 07:24 AM

...Is that queen Helga?

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Yodrin - 09-02-2013 11:10 AM

So very nice!!!!!!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 09-08-2013 06:50 AM

Skink Wrote:
...Is that queen Helga?

It was. Can't believe I didn't show her before. I should really make some pictures...

And now for something completely random. I came across this, and it perfectly demonstrates the power of my Pistoliers...

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Kera foehunter - 09-20-2013 08:47 PM

the 5 sheep rider of the shire

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 12-10-2013 02:37 PM

I totally forgot to update this blog with the latest unit!

It's not super interesting though, but I made another unit of Sheep Riders because they're sooooo cute! <33333

I played this army at a tournament this weekend and managed to win Best Painted and third place overall Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Yodrin - 12-11-2013 02:41 AM

GZ on 1 st and 3 rd, very well deserved!!!!!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-22-2015 06:21 AM

It's been a while since I've updated this blog. And even though I still promised some pics of the old units to Skink, this isn't that update ;p

The last year I haven't done much with Warhammer in general, mostly focussing on Star Trek Attack Wing and boardgames in general, having a lot of fun with it. But in May I'm playing in one of the bigger tournaments in Holland, so this army will need an update. We play as a team and we decided to all play Empire and all play exactly the same armylist with lots of Knights.

So my army will need a lot more Knights. I have made a unit of 10 Knights last year that I haven't even shown here, they might get a couple more highlights or a general update for this tournament:

This is the layout of the army and shows I have a lot more work ahead of me in the next three weeks:

I have a unit of normal Knights on ponies, a unit of Knights with bunny masks on ponies and the next will be a unit of Goatriders:

And after that I'm trying to make a unit of Giant Bunny riders:

I'll try to keep this blog updated in the next few weeks so please help to keep me motivated Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Yodrin - 04-22-2015 06:42 AM

Those goat riders are awesome!!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Abecedar - 04-22-2015 08:35 AM

Loved this army for ages.  Cannot help thinking the bunny riders need bunny teeth on their masks though

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Fuggit Khan - 04-22-2015 01:59 PM

Back in the old days, when I was just a lurker on this forum, this was one of the first blogs I ever checked out and it still is one of my most favorites.
Nice to see an update (thank you!)...the Giant Bunny looks quite promising Takes Hat off

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-22-2015 03:35 PM

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Back in the old days, when I was just a lurker on this forum, this was one of the first blogs I ever checked out and it still is one of my most favorites.
Nice to see an update (thank you!)...the Giant Bunny looks quite promising Takes Hat off

Thanks Happy Your blog is always the first I check when I'm on here!

Here's another pic of the Inner Circle Knights:

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Yodrin - 04-23-2015 02:25 AM

Those are great, and WHAT a banner, fantastic!!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Bloodbeard - 04-23-2015 02:42 AM

This army is great. And while I hate most of the weird theme armies (my little pony bretonians, purple gnome CD etc) out there, this still fits into what I would gladly play against.

Have you made yourself any fluff considerations behind the fluffe bunny masks? Are they Knights of the Bunbun? Or are there some more Warhammer setting behind them?

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-23-2015 04:14 AM

Bloodbeard Wrote:
This army is great. And while I hate most of the weird theme armies (my little pony bretonians, purple gnome CD etc) out there, this still fits into what I would gladly play against.

Have you made yourself any fluff considerations behind the fluffe bunny masks? Are they Knights of the Bunbun? Or are there some more Warhammer setting behind them?

Thank you! Happy

There's no Warhammer fluff setting for these masks, other than they look cute. My halberdiers already had a bunny theme with their shields and banner, so this unit (and also my new unit of bunny riders) would match with them.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Bloodbeard - 04-23-2015 06:24 AM

Okay. The army might be from the part of the Moot known as Rabbit Hills. Where Halflings enjoy a twice annual Rabbit Festival including the Grand Rabbit Ragout Eating Competition, in order to keep the unnaturally high number of rabbits down. As the rabbits would otherwise eat to many of the Halflings crops.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 04-28-2015 07:15 AM

I finished sculpting the bunny and made a mold of it. And it turned out great if I may say so myself Happy

So up next I need to sculpt some riders for these and finish up some characters. 1,5 weeks to go and still 19 Knights and 3 characters to go Angry

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Fuggit Khan - 04-28-2015 11:41 AM

The rabbit came out great!
Is it the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog, from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?  Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Abecedar - 04-29-2015 01:53 AM

No its "Big Bunny" from the Goodies

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Admiral - 04-29-2015 01:17 PM

Bloodbeard said it very well. Agreed to the full. Very good job on the army! The goat riders are neat conversions, and that rabbit cast holds a lot of promise. There is a sense of Caerbannog incoming... Better fetch a holy hand grenade.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Yodrin - 04-29-2015 02:06 PM

Agree with Fuggit, its the Holy Grail killer rabbit....Wink

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 05-10-2015 10:42 AM

Well, good news everyone! I managed to finish my army for the tournament. It took some working into the late hours of night and a part of my sanity, but now I have a fully painted Empire Halfling cavalry army.

This is the army I used for the tournament:

General on Griffon:

Captain, BSB and lvl3 Wizard on Pegasi:

Inner Circle Knights:

White Wolf Knights:

Reiksguard Knights:

Hoppy Bunny Knights:

Great Cannon, Galloper Gun style:

And even more good news: Bolg and me were nominated for Best Painted army! As it was a team tournament we were nominated together.

And our team even managed to win it!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Abecedar - 05-10-2015 11:04 PM

Very well done. Congrats to you both.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Yodrin - 05-11-2015 01:44 AM

So cool army, congratz to you both, well done!!!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Skink - 05-11-2015 01:59 AM

Speechless. Perfectly themed, painted, crafted, and converted.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Admiral - 05-11-2015 02:42 AM

Great army! Well deserved. Congratulations!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Roark - 05-11-2015 03:01 AM

Stunning. Well deserved win, I'm sure.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Fuggit Khan - 05-11-2015 01:32 PM

Congratulations on the team win for Best Painted army, that is quite a talented team match up, you and Bolg together!
Takes Hat off

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Scar - 05-11-2015 05:42 PM

deserved! Big Grin

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-02-2017 06:43 AM

What's this, an update on my Halfling army?! I've totally abandoned this blog, I made some units that I still haven't showed off even though they've been done for ages.

But now for something a little different. I created something silly again...

Last weekend we had another great Bloodstorm tournament. It's organized by some great guys and always has a nice friendly creative atmosphere. Every tournament has a different theme, along with some special rules. This time the theme was 'Beast Wars!', so every army got a monster for free.

But what kind of monster fits a Halfling army? A giant screaming beast wouldn't fit with these cuddly guys, and after some brainstorming I really like the  Malifaux Whisky Golem.

I really like the wooden contruct idea, but buying a figure would be too easy. So after a few weeks of hard work this was the result:

A cute wooden Megazord.

But the bar was set very high. All guys from my gaming group had made their own monster, so my figure needed something extra.

It's a Megazord, so ofcourse I had to be able to transform.

With some videos on Instagram to show off the transformation (and have some more silly fun):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWBBqOjgF3N/?taken-by=bas_2312

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWCl8B2gdtF/?taken-by=bas_2312

And for some more fun, a little experiment. I'm trying to get one of the original Power Rangers actors to like/comment on one of these videos, so please share if you like! Happy

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Admiral - 07-02-2017 06:51 AM

Such dedication. An impressive feat! I'd probably have built an ent or drunken giant to go along with Halflings, in that situation. But this is immense! Very well done.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-02-2017 06:58 AM

Admiral Wrote:
Such dedication. An impressive feat! I'd probably have built an ent or drunken giant to go along with Halflings, in that situation. But this is immense! Very well done.

Yeah, I was thinking about a Treeman too. But I'm already building some for my Blood Bowl team (I should also post some pics of that) and one of the organizers of the tournament is a big Transformers fan ;p

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Skink - 07-02-2017 12:08 PM

Oh. My. God. That thing is incredible! Your skills (which were already honed) have improved immensely since the old days... That Megazord is fantastic! Now, can you show your new units? Pretty please Happy ? Also, what system do you use nowadays?

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-02-2017 01:31 PM

Skink Wrote:
Oh. My. God. That thing is incredible! Your skills (which were already honed) have improved immensely since the old days... That Megazord is fantastic! Now, can you show your new units? Pretty please Happy ? Also, what system do you use nowadays?

Yeah, I need to take some time to unpack my entire army and make some decent pictures soon!

At the moment I play this in 9th age. It's a good upgrade of the old Warhammer rules, but I feel it lacks the character the old game used to have. You can really tell it was written by tournament players.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Grimstonefire - 07-02-2017 04:16 PM

Mega kudos for the megazord, that's just insane!!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - tjub - 07-03-2017 02:02 AM

Oh, eh... Im unsure how I feel about this. But as a hobby project its insane and super cool!

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Nicodemus - 07-03-2017 03:24 AM

*Nerdgasm*

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-04-2017 06:16 PM

bas_2312 Wrote:
And for some more fun, a little experiment. I'm trying to get one of the original Power Rangers actors to like/comment on one of these videos, so please share if you like! Happy

The dream is real! 1 down, 3 to go! ;p

(translation: David Yost, the original Blue Ranger, liked my video on Instagram!)

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - bas_2312 - 07-25-2017 02:02 PM

So this week I moved my Halflings from storage, and got them set up in my house again. I really missed looking at them, and I don't think I ever had them set up all together. It's turned into quite a horde...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3UjRKLRo84

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Admiral - 07-25-2017 03:27 PM

Great army of small uns. One of the best Halfling armies around. Well done and thanks for the video look.

RE: Halfling Empire Blog - Skink - 07-25-2017 05:55 PM

Hey! You completed the pizza oven with the Halfling lector on top! And you added a clock tower too!!! You never posted these here, I demand pictures (pretty please)!!!!

Also, the pizza oven is a pope mobile (I assume), but what is the clock tower? A Luminark?