Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Golden Hat #16 Voting Thread
Author MessageGolden Hat #16 Voting Thread
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 258
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #16 Voting Threadvulcanologist 01-11-2012

Blimey...2 votes! Thank you very much whoever you are! Oh wait... I think I voted for myself twice!

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY CHAOS DWARF ARMY BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7773

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

MY BLOOD BOWL BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10338

MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
01-11-2012 07:35 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus Away
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 39
Slaves: 986
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013                               
RE: Golden Hat #16 Voting ThreadNicodemus 01-11-2012

I don't know how the other admins do it, but I don't look at who is voting and whether they are voting for themselves.  Everyone gets to cast 3 votes.  It is up to the individual to decide how to cast their votes, regardless whose entry it is.  The point of the voting (we hope) is that people choose the three entries they think are best. I see nothing wrong, morally or otherwise, with casting a vote for your own entry if you truly believe it is one of the top 3. To impose dubious morals such as "don't vot for yourself no matter what" means that at some point you're asking someone to not vote for an entry they think is the better one.  We're not in a Catholic middle school election where Johnny and Timmy both run for class president and are expected to vote for eachother in some bizarre balancing act of supposed moral superiority.

It's not a question of morals anyway, I think what people are confusing it with is sportsmanship.  In government elections any candidate can vote for themselves. Sure some countries don't count such votes, but others do.  If your intention is to vote for the best entries, morally it would be dishonest to not to vote for an entry you think is best, just be cause it's yours.  Now, if you're voting for yourself and in your heart you don't really think it's the best, then that would be morally wrong, but you can still do it.

In the end, this is a contest for people to make some dolls, paint them and then vote on them. Let's not get too uppity about morals and make it into something grander than it actually is. It's supposed to be fun.

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest 3D (Tile Creation Blog, *Complete*)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 02:10 PM by Nicodemus.

01-11-2012 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aka_mythos
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 110

RE: Golden Hat #16 Voting Threadaka_mythos 01-11-2012

So really what you're saying is, you shouldn't vote for yourself unless you sincerely believe you deserve your own vote. The rest of what people are saying is moot or too serious, given the situations lack of gravity. Agreed.

cornixt Wrote:
To be clear now, the staff have talked it over to make sure we are all the same page. aka_mythos was right...

This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 02:13 PM by aka_mythos.

01-11-2012 02:12 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 272
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #16 Voting ThreadThommy H 01-11-2012

If it's supposed to be fun, you shouldn't be voting for yourself! Sorry, I think it's unsportsmanlike and ungentlemanly. I'm honestly surprised that people even consider doing it - to me, it's always been second nature to discount my own entry in any contest I've entered, even (especially, in fact) when I believed it to be the best.

I'd be more inclined to vote for myself in something that did matter rather than something like GH - if I was running for office, I'd be doing so because I believed I was the best person for the job, so I'd vote for me too. But this is just toys.

Sorry, I don't want a debate about this either; we've had enough daft arguments sparked by contests around here. It's just when you mentioned it like it was a completely normal thing to vote for yourself I kind of went "buh?"

Buy my book (UK link)

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Warhammer: Chaos Dwarfs

01-11-2012 02:14 PM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 877
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat #16 Voting ThreadZanko 01-11-2012

Thommy H Wrote:
If it's supposed to be fun, you shouldn't be voting for yourself! Sorry, I think it's unsportsmanlike and ungentlemanly.

I totally agee with you! Takes Hat off

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 
01-11-2012 02:56 PM
Nicodemus Away
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 39
Slaves: 986
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013                               
RE: Golden Hat #16 Voting ThreadNicodemus 01-11-2012

Thommy H Wrote:
Sorry, I don't want a debate about this either; we've had enough daft arguments sparked by contests around here. It's just when you mentioned it like it was a completely normal thing to vote for yourself I kind of went "buh?"

I agree, too many pointless and unnecessary arguments about contests.  My comment about two votes for some entries was really a poorly executed joke anyway. I don't know that anyone voted for themselves. I only wrote down how many votes went for which numbered entry, not who was voting for whom.

How about we call this the argument that never was, and leave it at that? Wink  This way we can all enjoy the contest without disagreement Tongue

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest 3D (Tile Creation Blog, *Complete*)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

01-11-2012 03:04 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 272
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat #16 Voting ThreadThommy H 01-11-2012

Agreed!

Buy my book (UK link)

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Warhammer: Chaos Dwarfs

01-11-2012 03:44 PM
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Golden Hat XXI - Voting! Admiral 34 2,262 10-07-2014 06:11 PM
Last Post: Sticklander
  Golden Hat XX Voting Thread Nicodemus 60 8,194 12-08-2013 05:20 PM
Last Post: Bloodbeard