Pages (13): « First < Previous 9 10 11 12 [13] Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
Author MessageJMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashut
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 36

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutBen Saunders 06-22-2014

I also say the small altar looks better. I don't think being crowded is a problem, though you could free up some space if you were to say that the fire elemental counts as one or both of the acolytes.

06-22-2014 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Hat or Die!

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1296
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of Hashuttjub 06-22-2014

Jupp, have to agree with the others here... Happy

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 10:53 AM by tjub.

06-22-2014 10:53 AM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 444
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutThommy H 06-22-2014

Pedantic note about the elemental/K'daai: although the Altar does summon up daemons, etc., the centrepiece of the dais should be the device used to sacrifice the slaves. If there's a pool of glowing lava, victims should be getting thrown into it rather than spirits being summoned from it. The Altar is for killing, the daemons then gravitate to it, swirling around it in the air as the Sorcerer and Acolytes sing their Dirges. So I'd leave it off, personally.

I mean, you can interpret it however you want, but that's what I had in mind when I wrote the rules and background!

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

06-22-2014 12:31 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 510
Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 06-22-2014

Thommy H Wrote:
... the daemons then gravitate to it, swirling around it in the air as the Sorcerer and Acolytes sing their Dirges.

That gives me an idea.... stay tuned!

My blogs:
-Renewed Chaos Dwarf log- -Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves-
-Dark Elves with a hint of Slaanesh- -Other stuff-
06-22-2014 03:56 PM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 470
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 21 Jun - Altar of HashutFuggit Khan 06-23-2014

I'm going to join the consensus that the smaller altar works better...a smaller altar also lends better to being a pretty cool unit filler too.
And I agree with Bloodbeard...I like the fire elemental size for the altar. But whichever direction you choose, I'm sure based on your past experience of your modeling talents, that this will be a very cool model once all finished Cheers!

Really looking forward to watching the progress on this, I'm glad you shared this with all of us Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-23-2014 01:56 PM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 06-26-2014

Progress continues on the Altar of Hashut. I have encased the main body in cheap plasticard. I've built up the sacrificial pool of lava a bit more.

On the backside I've added the rough shape of two pillars. Last Golden Hat I won two classic chaos dwarf warriors (thanks Fuggit!), which I figured would be cool to use as ancient statues.
Although my army is mostly made up out of models with "modern" helmets instead of bighats, I do enjoy reaching back to the classic models. For example, I want my Sorcerer Lords and Bull Centaurs to have a more traditional dress-code: bighats.
I do feel a bit bad about using these models as mere statues, but on the other hand I feel it's a nice tribute to that era.

Here's where the Altar currently stands:

The front two miniatures are still just random stand-ins. The character in the back is a russian-alternative model which I intend to use as a Sorcerer Lord. I think I'd prefer to field the altar with a Pyrophant instead, so I'll look into making the characters swappable.

Thommy's comment made me quickly sculpt up some minor K'daai to circle the altar. They probably need a second pass of green-stuff:

What do you think?

My blogs:

This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 08:23 AM by JMR.

06-26-2014 09:17 AM
Chaosftw
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 13

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutChaosftw 06-26-2014

I like them a lot! I think they will certainly add another dimension to the piece. I don't think they need "a second pass of green stuff" though, they look pretty good. If there was any area that maybe could be added to it would be at the head as it seems a little bare.

regardless the project is coming along quite nice!

Cheers,
Chaosftw

My CD Army Blog
06-26-2014 09:43 AM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 218
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutHelblindi 06-26-2014

I agree, the K'daai are looking great, and so is the altar. Now I too feel like hunting down some oldschool dwarf and CD models to use as statues Happy

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
06-26-2014 10:01 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 470
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutFuggit Khan 06-26-2014

JMR Wrote:
Last Golden Hat I won two classic chaos dwarf warriors (thanks Fuggit!), which I figured would be cool to use as ancient statues.
I do feel a bit bad about using these models as mere statues, but on the other hand I feel it's a nice tribute to that era.

What do you think?

I think it's wonderful Cheers!
I'm very happy to see some of my old Big Hat warriors being used in such a cool model...I agree that it's a nice tribute to the 4th edition era.
Excellent work so far!  Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-26-2014 01:35 PM
GDD
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 19

RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutGDD 06-26-2014

Put a bulls head with a chain beard on the front! And then chain up the slaves in the beard Cheers!

06-26-2014 01:49 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 444
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutThommy H 06-26-2014

Great stuff! Can't wait to see the finished version!

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

06-26-2014 05:14 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutYodrin 06-27-2014

Great stuff, LF to seeing some paint on those..!! Wink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

06-27-2014 02:10 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 684
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutAdmiral 06-27-2014

Wow, great progress! Everything from layout to WIP K'daai whirlers is very nice. If you manage to add convincing OSL effects from the fire spirits whirling around the altar you'll have a real killer of a killer.

How about adding rivetted iron "bands" of Chaos star spear shapes onto the stone pillars facing the flank of the platform? Or shackles and chains between the slaves' feet in order to create two chain gangs?

I see the pool deck idea wasn't entirely discarded. It looks like a comfy Daemon jacuzzi there. Wink

Will you add something more to the pool or the platform, like runes or trophies on the sides of it? If you're feeling adventurous you could even try your hand at some fresque scenes like those seen on the FW Bull Centaurs' armour. Bonus points for making the pool an octagon shape. Thommy will have to include pictures of this altar in the updated army book.

It's about time this log got the stars it deserves.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 09:52 AM by Admiral.

06-27-2014 03:04 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 06-27-2014

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I am absolutely going to include OSL effects. I'm looking for good opportunities to add OSL while building this thing all the time. Hopefully I can add them convincingly without completely overwhelming the model.

I'm also going to add various detailing to the altar itself. I'm thinking some kind of face (possibly a bull's) on the ramp at the front.
The sides of the altar will have a simple decoration.
The pillars will get some sort of emblem too. I think I'll have to stea....draw some inspiration from Skink's designs or from some old banner designs.
Chains on slaves are definitely in too. I just hope I have enough chains left...
For the "floor" of the altar I'm thinking large obsidian/black marble tiles.
I have tried frescoes before, but that wasn't such a success.

@Admiral What a lovely picture! Did you just quickly draw that up?

My blogs:
06-27-2014 05:37 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 684
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutAdmiral 06-27-2014

Then you have it all figured out! If you'd like to write an article for WoH about your building project for the Altar, you're more than welcome. Cheers!

JMR Wrote:
@Admiral What a lovely picture! Did you just quickly draw that up?

Yup, I call it Zharr-Günther at the pool party.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
06-27-2014 07:22 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 10-12-2017

I've replaced a bunch of my pictures, using imgur instead. I'm working my way backwards, from the last page to the front. Maybe my old things will be of inspiration to someone Happy

My blogs:
10-12-2017 09:41 AM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1296
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of Hashuttjub 10-12-2017

JMR Wrote:
I've replaced a bunch of my pictures, using imgur instead. I'm working my way backwards, from the last page to the front. Maybe my old things will be of inspiration to someone Happy

Yay, good to see that you are back! Any new projects going on?

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

10-12-2017 11:34 AM
JMR
Bull Centaur Lord

Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutJMR 10-12-2017

tjub Wrote:
Yay, good to see that you are back! Any new projects going on?

Not so much, to be honest. I've spent my hobby time crafting things for D&D (I was the GM). That was pretty fun to do.

I've also done a bit of mucking around with Song of Blades and Heroes. A nice and simple skirmish game. I highly recommend it. It's core rules are simple enough that I consider trying it out with my 6-year old nephew. At the same time, when you add all the extra "special rules" that you can buy for your models, it becomes an interesting game to play. Quick to play, small game area needed, limited amount of models and you can drink a beer while playing it. Pretty good.
I did use a Chaos Dwarf warband for this, but I didn't paint it up fully. I might go do that one of these days.

I have been getting the modeling-itch again, but I'm not sure I can handle painting 40 rank and file soldiers anymore Shock

My blogs:
10-12-2017 01:54 PM
Carcearion
Lammasu

Slaves: 177
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: JMR's renewed Chaos Dwarf blog - 26 Jun - Altar of HashutCarcearion 10-12-2017

Love your conversions and scratch builds, They look amazing! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff uncovered! Cheers!

JMR Wrote:
I have been getting the modeling-itch again, but I'm not sure I can handle painting 40 rank and file soldiers anymore Shock

You could also just weigh in on a few contests, or you could switch to Kings of War! Tongue Wink Multi-basing not only means less miniatures to paint but its a ton of fun to really set up a scene

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
10-12-2017 03:08 PM
Pages (13): « First < Previous 9 10 11 12 [13] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bloodbeards Chaos Dwarf Blog Bloodbeard 556 262,623 10-09-2017 03:19 PM
Last Post: Pappa Midnight
  To the honour of Hashut - Army Blog 07.16.15 Question to all readers DAGabriel 597 305,509 04-16-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Chaos Dwarf Army BIG blog/site - lots to see! ruinouspowers 0 1,042 10-21-2014 12:30 PM
Last Post: ruinouspowers
  Elrodogg's Ogre / Chaos Dwarf Blog elrodogg 11 3,657 09-03-2014 06:58 PM
Last Post: Abecedar
  [06-25-2014] Chaosftw's Chaos Dwarf Blog Chaosftw 7 3,210 07-03-2014 01:54 AM
Last Post: Admiral

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites