Author MessageTHREADOMANCY!!
theforgefather
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 90

THREADOMANCY!!theforgefather 04-06-2012

Hello!

I would like your opinions on threadomancy (posting on a dead thread).
I always wanted to know what people think on this; is it good or is it bad? you could be uselessly spamming on old painting blogs, or helping to support an army blog.

your opinions are welcome
thanks
theforgefather

how do you post a poll?

Renegades+Heretics http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/pos...45610.page
Chaos Dwarfs! http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid174878

04-06-2012 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 444
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: THREADOMANCY!!Thommy H 04-06-2012

Threadomancy is pretty much always bad. The only time it's acceptable is when it's your own thread, and you're posting some kind of relevant update. Painting blogs are a good example. I haven't done anything for my Bretonnians since 2010, but if I painted a new unit and posted it, it would be fine for me to bump that thread up. But just finding someone else's random plog and going "any updates?" or something is just going to annoy people.

That's the problem, really - bumping up an old thread generally adds nothing to the discourse. If it was a heated debate, you just open old wounds. If it was a long, interesting topic, obviously everything that needed to be said was said back then. If you're just asking for updates or posting something pointless, you've wasted everyone's time. People click in, expecting to see something new, and it's just some newbie who doesn't understand how to read post dates.

Don't do it, in other words.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

04-06-2012 09:20 AM
furrie
hat lover

Slaves: 243

RE: THREADOMANCY!!furrie 04-06-2012

I'm with tommy on this one

My blog with big hatters

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
I like big hats and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, when a dwarf walks in with an iddy biddy thing and wears it on his head, you get sprung...

Kera foehunter Wrote:
But there is only one choice
Big hats anything else is just a emo Dwarf

04-06-2012 09:28 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1363
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: THREADOMANCY!!Grimstonefire 04-06-2012

What you often find with threadomancy is that at least some of people who had the discussion stopped posting years ago and aren't really members any more.

I have seen people say in years past 'but it may encourage them to post again'.  It won't as even if we did have a thread subscription option here they would have had to chosen to subscribe to it.

So the chances are unless they are still an active poster they will never see it.  Imo it's best to pm the person you want to talk to, or start a new thread and post the link if you want other people to talk about it.  They are likely to get an email notification at least from a new pm.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 04:03 PM by Grimstonefire.

04-06-2012 12:25 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
theforgefather
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 90

RE: THREADOMANCY!!theforgefather 04-06-2012

ok, so it seems to have a negative vibe.
good to know

Renegades+Heretics http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/pos...45610.page
Chaos Dwarfs! http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid174878

04-06-2012 03:30 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Group: Immortals
Slaves: 444
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: THREADOMANCY!!Thommy H 04-06-2012

Pretty much every forum on the internet has rules against it, so yeah.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

04-06-2012 03:42 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1304
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: THREADOMANCY!!cornixt 04-06-2012

If they are still an active poster and you need to ask about something specific to that thread, then it would be okay. Or any sticky thread that allows replies. Outside of that, there are very few cases where it would be appropriate. Occasionally we get someone who just goes through the old threads saying "cool model", which is annoying for everyone.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
04-06-2012 04:04 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites