Another new player with list (1600) + an introduction
Author MessageAnother new player with list (1600) + an introduction
themanbelow
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 10

Another new player with list (1600) + an introductionthemanbelow 04-11-2012

I'm pretty new to the whole Warhammer thing to be honest (And hope I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say) and even newer to this forum.  So hi!

Anyway I've had a few warhammer models for a while (Daemons of Chaos) but don't play as often as I would like.  As time is short when I do play, and because my friends tend to impose smaller game sizes (mainly due to their smoking, drinking and general faffing), DOC were becoming a bit stale (Game pointage range from 500 - 1600).  

So I decided to look for a second army (I still love DOC I am honest) and tried a few out without much interest.  However as soon as I saw and read about CD's I was instantly sold.  They are a great alternative to DOC and I can do exactly the things I was unable to do with DOC.

Also the expensive points helps me a little because I wont need to buy and paint as many models (even if they are a little pricier).  

Anyway I am waffling a touch, so had a few games and although I've read on here that the skullcracker is a bit pants, I really liked it and think it can work (hopefully I have played the rules correctly).

Rather than producing a list to be friendly or to win games I have basically produced a list on things I like (variation is the key).  Here is what I intend to buy/play over the coming months.  I don't know what is or isn't cheese because I don't immerse myself in that to be honest (and I wouldn't be that great with a cheesey army anyway).

So I would appreciate any comments on this forthcoming list and whether you think anything is a waste (even the skullcracker) or whether you would suggester otherwise.

(Note: Apologies if I get anything wrong re: models, rules, tactics etc and pls correct me)

Castellan (With Great Sword, +3 toughness potion, +3 strength potion, 6+ ward save)
10 Infernal Guard with GW

Sorcerer lvl 2

Skullcracker
Death-shrieker Rocket
Magma Cannon

K'Daai Destroyer

The idea is a MSU Type army that utalises it's war machines.  The Skullcracker protects the war machines whilst using its cannonade when needed.  However when the protecting Infernals and Skullcracker are threatened, they attack head on those that dare try it on (Positioning the Skullcracker ina gap behind the war machines).  

Meanwhile the destroyer does it's own merry thing carving through the flanks or to hit a bit unit head one on its own or taking out anything with t stomp before it can reach the skullcracker.

Thoughts???

Edit: Iron Daemon with cannonade rather than the Skullcracker

This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 03:01 PM by themanbelow.

04-11-2012 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MLP
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 223
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Another new player with list (1600) + an introductionMLP 04-11-2012

Hi there and welcome! I'm pretty certain you wouldn't have offended anyone so don't worry!

I think it's a great way to build an army with the models you like rather than what everyone thinks is better. You'll like your army much more for it.

I've not played with a list like yours before and I personally haven't used a Skullcracker/Iron Demon in any games but I like the ideas you have.

In a small list of 1600 your Destroyer should wreak havok, and the Magma cannon. I don't know if your MSUs will hold up though with only 10 men. Maybe it would be better with two medium units. I certain reckon that you should make the Castellan a Battle Standard if you're using small units as they will struggle to win with combat resolution.

I'd like to know how you get on with some battles so let us know. Good luck!

LoA Unit Summary - A brief overview of each unit in Tamurkhan's Legion of Azgorh.

My LoA Project Log 2500/4000 points | Mordheim: Chaos Dwarf Slavers | War in the Moot: Halfling Campaign book & Army list
04-11-2012 05:03 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
themanbelow
Hobgoblin

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 10

RE: Another new player with list (1600) + an introductionthemanbelow 04-11-2012

Thanks for the feedback.

I could lose the lvl 2 from the sorcerer and include a BSB and a SB to one unit of 10.  Or I could just put them in one big block of 30.  I'm just a bit conscious that war machines may be at risk from things like scouts or just chaff/fast moving units that I thought a unit of 10 could deal with.

If a big unit gets that close the plan was that the iron daemon, the destroyer and all off the units would have enough to deal with it (plus it may be a fraction of it's original size).  Also 3 single units with most deployed units being a similar points total, will hopefully confuse the opponent to not know what to shoot, magic or charge.

Does this sound absurd?  I've never really played with dwarfs (so I'm very green and naive) and I am a bit worried that they won't have the legs (pardon the pun) to get into position so will be getting flanked and out maneuvered easily.

Is this the type of set up no one would seriously use lol apart from a mad daemon player?

This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 07:24 PM by themanbelow.

04-11-2012 07:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Aggressive CD list -1600 pts Singleton Mosby 0 287 01-24-2013 05:04 PM
Last Post: Singleton Mosby
  1600 Tournament List (LoA) draeth187 2 473 10-02-2012 10:36 AM
Last Post: MLP
  Starting Dawi Zharr, 1600 pts LoA Stiopa 5 761 12-13-2011 08:33 PM
Last Post: Stiopa
  1600 pts defense army (INDY) Gar Shadowfame 8 1,407 08-23-2010 01:31 PM