Calling all Armourers!
Author MessageCalling all Armourers!
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 88

Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 08-06-2012

This thread is for all armourers (established, hobbyists, or even just new guys that have passing interest in the craft) to give/receive advice, share stories, show off their stuff and anything else you want to do.

I'll start off with a few poorly taken pictures:  First, my forge:
When I first light it

And after fifteen minutes of coaxing the coal to maximum hottness

This is a test bascinet I was trying to raise (see if you can spot where I went wrong!)

And, unfortunately since the rest of my helms/harnesses are out at my shop, this is the only finished piece (my first sugarloaf helm) that I can show right now:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate it's contents.  - HPL

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=11590
08-06-2012 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gIL^
Playing Age of Sigmar

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 224

RE: Calling all Armourers!gIL^ 08-06-2012

I wish i had those skills. How hard is it to make something like this?

08-06-2012 08:16 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 08-06-2012

It isn't hard, necessarily, it just takes patience.  Lots, and lots of patience.

If you're at all interested, I can't suggest this book enough:

http://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Medieva...1581605366

It has been my bible for the last four years, and since I lean heavily towards transitional period armour, it's just been fantastic.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate it's contents.  - HPL

08-06-2012 08:22 PM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: Calling all Armourers!Da Crusha 08-06-2012

that is really cool! I would like to make something like this, eventually. have you ever sold any? Ive seen some of this stuff for sale at the renaissance fair.

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2
08-06-2012 09:29 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 08-06-2012

I've never taken a commission for my stuff.  I do it as a hobby, so it can take quite a long time to build each piece - it's not like I wouldn't like to make money off of it, but I doubt somebody wants to wait around three months for their helm.  Heh.

Also; the stuff you find at renfairs is generally eighteen gauge or higher steel, and cold-banged into shape (as opposed to using the heat from a forge or acetaline torch to "raise" a helm, which creates a lot of strength).  The stuff I build is twelve to fourteen gauge steel, and raised, so you could take a lead pipe to the melon and (assuming you've properly padded) not get a concussion.

08-06-2012 09:39 PM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: Calling all Armourers!Da Crusha 08-07-2012

that makes it even cooler

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2
08-07-2012 12:22 AM
blackwolf.scortch
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 11

RE: Calling all Armourers!blackwolf.scortch 08-07-2012

Hi khedyarl and all the other smiths out there,
my comment in the Fancy Armour thread was more as a blacksmith than as armourer, but one day.

I am just starting to learn/self teach at the moment. I did an 8 weekend artistic blacksmith course and enjoyed it immensley and am now setting up my home forge. Similar style to yours khedyarl, but not quite in as good condition. I don't know about Canada but it is really hard to find forge tools etc at a reasonable price in South Australia. Seem to have all been bought up as 'antiques'

Still only at basic metalworking stage in skill but am going to try a so called viking women's knife soon as it's all one piece.

Thanks for the book link, can see a Christmass request being made to the Ministry of Finance. Wink

We will live in the good lands.
My son will grow where there isn't death in the very waters we drink and the air we breathe.
08-07-2012 06:56 AM
Sherlocko
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Chaos Star
Slaves: 41

RE: Calling all Armourers!Sherlocko 08-07-2012

My older brother has a blacksmith of his own and are working there for a living. On the other hand, as stated in the other thread, it´s not quite the same are armouring....

08-07-2012 07:57 AM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 08-07-2012

Blackwolf:  I was crazy, crazy, crazy lucky to find my Forge.  My wife and parents put a ad in the local "buy and sell" (a paper that most farmers get to buy and sell farm equipment in this area) without my knowing (it was a birthday present), and found an older farmer that had one and had no idea what it was worth.  I think they said that he sold it for 250 dollars, which is a fantastic price.

If you are just beginning armouring, I don't suggest using heat.  That book I linked doesn't assume you have heat, and as such explains the cold-hammering style in detail.  The neat thing about armouring/blacksmithing in general is that you don't necessarily require a lot of special expensive tools/material.  Most of my equipment are ball bearings that I've found at scrap yards, and my prize possession is a foot diameter stainless steel ball valve that I use as my primary planishing stake.

Turns out I have nothing to do today, and am getting the itch.  I keep my forge and tools out at my parents house (they have a farm about thirty minutes out of town), so I'm going to go work on some stuff.  I'll take some snapshots of my shop/tools, and do a writeup on what someone just starting out should make sure they have.

08-07-2012 02:55 PM
CopperPot
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 22

RE: Calling all Armourers!CopperPot 08-07-2012

Very impressive dude.

If you havn't noticed yet I have a base fetish.
08-07-2012 03:51 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1311
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Calling all Armourers!cornixt 08-07-2012

I've seen someone build a pretty basic forge using a few insulation bricks. Obviously not as nice as that one, but certainly within reach of most people - the tools would probably set you back far more!

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
08-07-2012 05:09 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1459
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Calling all Armourers!Abecedar 08-07-2012

nice interesting thread, will definitely keep looking at this one, along with some ear plugs

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
08-07-2012 05:56 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 08-07-2012

Alright, I didn't get a chance to do much today, just take a few pictures of the workshop.

Here's the setup from the outside - the plastic is wrapped over the forge to make sure it doesn't get rained on (I would bring it inside, but it weighs about four hundreds pounds).

This is my belt sander, bansaw and work table (where I work on patterns/rivetting/leather working)

The object wrapped in hose is an English Wheel (if you aren't familiar with it, it's a kind of steel press that allows you to bend/shape steel, but does have the downside of stretching/thinning it).  Also pictured is my press.

An assortment of different hammers, tools, and patterning equipment:

Another one of the workbench:

And here's the three most important tools that an armourer is ever going to need.  A stump for dishing steel (the dishing on my stump is covered by that glove I just realised), a ball-stake (I have a couple of them, but that's the one I use most often), and an anvil (the larger anvil (75 pounds) I use for most of my work, the smaller anvil (30 pounds) is for rivetting and other small scale stuff.

Ultimately, if you want to start armouring, you only need a few items, and everything else will come as you feel more comfortable and start seeking out other stuff.

1.  A stump.  Not kidding.  An ordinary tree stump.  It is the most important thing you will ever have, so make sure it's a solid one.  Dish a shallow circle (or a couple, depending on stump size) into the top of it, and you just hammer sheet steel into the shallow dish, force-shaping the steel.

2.  A stake or two.  These can be specially ordered from blacksmith sites on the internet, but I just made mine out of large ball bearings and other metal spheres I've managed to acquire over the years, welded to metal rods.  You use these for more fine detail shaping and for planishing (planishing steel is to lightly hit it with a polished hammer against a smooth solid, and it is how you remove hammer marks after you've dished the steel.

3.  Hammers.  You'll probably only use two to three hammers right away.  A rubber mallet is what I use for initial shaping, or when I need to quickly bend a piece of steel into a shape without denting it.  A ball-peen hammer is absolutely necessary for riveting and other tasks.  Finally, you need a big, flat-faced hammer (all non-rubber hammers should have their faces kept polished) for planishing.

4. Sheet steel (and a way to cut it).  A ban-saw isn't cheap, but it's possible to cut fourteen gauge steel with steel shears.  It isn't fun, but it's what I did initially, so definitely possible.

5.  An anvil, or a railway rail (the steel beams that trains ride along) for a multitude of tasks.  This is the most expensive/hard to find piece you'll need to get ahold of.

That's really all you need to get ready and start armouring.  Rivets, leather strips for strapping, et cetera are all fringe pieces you'll need but to simply begin banging steel into a harness, those above things are all you will need.

well, this turned into kind of a long post.  If anyone has any questions, or if any other hobbyists/armourers want to chime in on anything I've said/done incorrectly, hop on in!  I'd love to get a good discussion going in here.

08-07-2012 10:30 PM
blackwolf.scortch
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 11

RE: Calling all Armourers!blackwolf.scortch 08-08-2012

Keep up the posts khedyarl, it all adds to inspiring me to get my shed sorted out once winters over and start forging again.
I've picked up my gear so far by lurking at farm clearance sales (sad to see farms being sold off but i have my needs) and fighting off (outbidding) home decorators and wannabe antiques dealers. So far I have a full size anvil (table about 14", don't know the weight but i can just lift it) on a stump, a post vice that i need to mount, an old farriers forge, some old tools and some new hammers.
Have been busy collecting books (Hashut favour Project Gutenberg) and just practising. Maybe one of the few bonuses of my immenent redundancy is more time at anvil.

We will live in the good lands.
My son will grow where there isn't death in the very waters we drink and the air we breathe.
08-08-2012 07:41 AM
NoisyAssassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 59

RE: Calling all Armourers!NoisyAssassin 08-08-2012

Not something I'll probably ever put in the effort to learn how to do, but definitely a neat subject to see/learn about. Thanks for sharing!

08-08-2012 09:50 AM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 08-08-2012

If you have the anvil, hammers and stump all that is really left are the stakes to get started.  If you are self-teaching, you should try to pick up Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction soon as possible, and give it a good read-through; the book is just fantastic.

A few sites that every Armourer should have bookmarked:

http://armourarchive.org/

The Armour Archive is great.  It has a decent community, lots of people are willing to help with questions you have, and most have good suggestions when you run into a brick wall.  There are other armouring sites out there, but Armour Archive is the most accessible and new-friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SgtViktor/videos
Eric Dube is, by far, my favorite armourer.  He's from Quebec, and I love everything he's ever done.

08-08-2012 02:36 PM
Marduk
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 65

RE: Calling all Armourers!Marduk 08-08-2012

Very nice topic!!
I might start by ordering Brian Price's book.
Thanks for sharing.

08-08-2012 03:38 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1365
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Calling all Armourers!Grimstonefire 08-08-2012

I've often thought it would be fun to make a sword or an axe.  Never really gave armour much thought.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
08-08-2012 05:37 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 08-08-2012

Few pictures of my stuff that I picked up from the shop yesterday.

If anyone else has anything they've made, armour, weapon, or anything smith-related, post it in here!  We want to see your stuff!

Sallet that a friend of mine made (not a true Sallet, technically, since the helmet is designed for use without a bevor)

Pictures of my shell gauntlets (not finished yet, pay no attention to the hideous weld lines!)

This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 06:34 PM by khedyarl.

08-08-2012 06:32 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Calling all Armourers!khedyarl 04-10-2013

Thread resurection!

The tiny-headed helmet thread reminded me that I had made this thread.  Although school's been wrecking most of my time, I do have some shots of some work of a friend of mine:

It was his first attempt at chasing brass, and his first attempt at acid-etching steel.  I think it looks absolutely fantastic.

Here's a couple of random pictures I found amidst my folders.  The first one is of another friend, who made the sallet from an earlier post that's he's actually wearing in this picture:

The next two are of me.  The first is me (at least my head and feet) with my lovely wife:

The second is just me, this is a bow that my dad built - he's been trying to build wooden separable bows.  Unfortunately, after rigorous testing, this one eventually broke - back to the drawing board.

Lastly, I wasn't going to show this one, because it's a hideous picture, but this is something I was working on early last year.  It's called a Corazina, and is shaped plates of steel attached to a dyed leather fronting.  I promise, it looks far better in person, and I'll endeavor to get some snapshots of it sometimes soonish.

04-10-2013 04:08 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calling all Illustrators! Willmark 0 795 09-30-2009 08:48 PM
Last Post: Willmark

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites