Author Messagethe warband of Azrog Blacksoul
Horsleben
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 7

the warband of Azrog BlacksoulHorsleben 09-26-2012

Hi there!

Me and some friends recently begun toying with the idea of starting a mordheim campaign.. When we chose warbands, i settled for Dwarf Treasure Hunters - but with a twist!

I dont fancy the newer dwarf models, and have been in love with Chaos Dwarves since FW released their infernal guard. I then started scurrying the web for official CD rules, but couldn't find any... Then after a short talk with my gaming group, i was allowed to play DTH, but with Chaos Dwarf miniatures Happy

Then i started pondering about which miniatures to use for my warband.. FW was out of the question, since im a cheapskate, and really dont wanna throw that much money after a bunch of minis (even though, they are nice minis). Like so many others before me, i settled on BFSP as the cheapest and easiest way to get a good looking CD warband.. I quickly made a prototype for a henchman (clansman or beardling), and here is how he ended up:

Im rather satisfied with the result, when i think about how little time it actually took.. As you can see, i made him some heavier armour, and went with the more modern mask/helmet style.. I really can't stand the old tophats.. I also tried to make him as different as possible from the original BFSP model as i could..

Here he is with a tester on the possible paintscheme of the warband: (And yes, my gritty paint style is not at its best when the pictures are this big ^^ )

I really like bonecoloured armour, and went with that instead of the traditional black and red.. I think its looks rather alien and menacing.. just to my liking Happy

I also started modelling the first hero for the warband - the engineer, or in this case. the daemon smith.. He is armed with a mace/hammer and a crossbow-thingy..

props to the guy who can tell which model served as the base for him..

He has a different style of armour than the henchman, and a much more details.. but thats one of the nice things about warbands.. they don't have to look as coherent as units in warhammer..

Thanks for looking, please drop a comment if you like my work, and stay tuned for more chaos dwarf goodness Happy

- Jon

2017 Image Salvage

This post was last modified: 04-06-2018 05:06 PM by Admiral.

09-26-2012 06:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
furrie
hat lover

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 243

RE: the warband of Azrog Blacksoulfurrie 09-26-2012

Nice start and was the slayer the base model?

My blog with big hatters

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
I like big hats and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, when a dwarf walks in with an iddy biddy thing and wears it on his head, you get sprung...

Kera foehunter Wrote:
But there is only one choice
Big hats anything else is just a emo Dwarf

09-26-2012 06:21 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Samanos
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 59

RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulSamanos 09-26-2012

i would say the handgunners champion.

very nice work, especially love the scales.

09-26-2012 06:45 AM
MLP
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 223
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulMLP 09-26-2012

Really nice scuplts there, you've done wonders with the BfSP dwarfs! Really like the painted one even though I would never have thought a cream/white paint scheme would suit. Well done!

If you're looking for Chaos Dwarf Mordheim rules these may be what you're looking for. Although not "Official" they're very balanced and quite fun to play.

Or I made my own rules here which I modernised and based on the Legion of Azorgh list from forgeworld.

LoA Unit Summary - A brief overview of each unit in Tamurkhan's Legion of Azgorh.

My LoA Project Log 2500/4000 points | Mordheim: Chaos Dwarf Slavers | War in the Moot: Halfling Campaign book & Army list
09-26-2012 08:25 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Horsleben
Hobgoblin

RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulHorsleben 09-26-2012

Thanks for all the nice comments guys Happy and the Daemonsmith is indeed based upon the thunderer champion Happy

I will take a look on the links you provided when i get home from work.. The only one i found when looking for CD lists was the Black dwarf one, and it didnt feel like CD to me..

-Jon

09-26-2012 08:38 AM
Horsleben
Hobgoblin

MLP, i had a quick look through your rules, and im really liking them! Much more how i envisioned CD, and with the inclusion of the sorcerer, its a nice different army than the DTH.. i got a couple of questions though:

The fireglaive and blunderbuss - do they follow the normal rules for handguns and blunderbusses.. you know, only shoot once per game for the BB and only every other turn for the fireglaive?
the daemonsmith allows you to reroll 1's with blackpowder weapons.. does that include duelling pistols?

- Jon

09-26-2012 12:06 PM
Staff
Slave

Slaves: 1

RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulStaff 09-26-2012

Holy flip, these guys look great. Nice GS work as well, wish mine was at your level!  Keep
em coming, I always enjoy seeing what everyone is up to!
~N

09-26-2012 12:15 PM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 514
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulDAGabriel 09-26-2012

Like the bone color, would perhaps have combined it with bronze??
GS is cool!

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
09-26-2012 12:49 PM
MLP
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 223
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulMLP 09-26-2012

Horsleben Wrote:
MLP, i had a quick look through your rules, and im really liking them! Much more how i envisioned CD, and with the inclusion of the sorcerer, its a nice different army than the DTH..  ><
- Jon

Cheers, glad you like them. I've just updated the link fixing a few mistakes and hopefully answering your questions but just to confirm:

Q: The fireglaive and blunderbuss - do they follow the normal rules for handguns and blunderbusses.. you know, only shoot once per game for the BB and only every other turn for the fireglaive?
A: The Fireglaive and Blunderbuss are unique weapons to the Chaos Dwarfs and do not follow normal rules for similar weapons. Both may shoot every turn as they're master crafted compared to empire black powder weapons. This may seem overpowered but the cost is significantly increased and they are both rare 12 items.

Q: The daemonsmith allows you to reroll 1's with blackpowder weapons.. does that include duelling pistols?
A: Yes it does.

Just bear in mind these rules have not been playtested other than by myself, they should be fairly balanced but it may be possible to become overpowered in later stages of a campaign when you have a lot of gold. It is possible for you to have 8 Fireglaves/Blunderbusses in your warband which could be quite powerful, but as the ranges are low and the warband cap is at 12 it should be okay.

Please post in my Mordheim thread any thoughts you have if you decide to use these rules. Cheers

LoA Unit Summary - A brief overview of each unit in Tamurkhan's Legion of Azgorh.

My LoA Project Log 2500/4000 points | Mordheim: Chaos Dwarf Slavers | War in the Moot: Halfling Campaign book & Army list

This post was last modified: 09-26-2012 01:06 PM by MLP.

09-26-2012 12:59 PM
Horsleben
Hobgoblin

Thanks for the clarifications mate! i think i will give the list a go, if my local gaming group allows it Happy

Modelling status - right now i have started one of the overseers/noble (depends on what list im allowed to use), and another henchman.. this time one with 2 handweapons..

- Jon

09-26-2012 01:17 PM
Horsleben
Hobgoblin

Quick update from the sculpting table..

The start of a henchman with two handweapons:

And the very small beginning of my noble/overseer..

- Jon

09-26-2012 03:36 PM
CopperPot
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 22

RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulCopperPot 09-26-2012

Nice work dude.

If you havn't noticed yet I have a base fetish.
09-26-2012 04:00 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1404
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: the warband of Azrog Blacksoultjub 09-26-2012

Great work!

My various other hobby projects on Instagram.

09-26-2012 04:06 PM
Rozmax
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 57
Best Contributor - 2013 Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulRozmax 09-26-2012

Nice work, but let me advise you not to use greenstaff for armor, try something different, like procreate).

09-26-2012 04:18 PM
Horsleben
Hobgoblin

Thanks for the comments guys..

I use greenstuff because its the only thing i have available.. How is procreate (its brown stuff, isn't it?) to work with? Does it hold sharp edges better?

09-26-2012 04:47 PM
Horsleben
Hobgoblin

RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulHorsleben 09-27-2012

This mornings work included finishing the henchman with two handweapons:

I have added his weapons and some shoulder armour, and i consider him done now.. Im rather satisfied, considering he only took about 2 hours to make..

I made som progress on the Noble too (i have decided to use the Dwarf Treasure Huntes list) Im working slowly on this one, since i dont wanna screw anything up.. hes the leader after all Happy

He looks a bit massive and clunky, but i think the beard and other details will help with that.. Im planning to make his arms interchangeable, so i can make different gear for him..

Thanks for looking..

- Jon

09-27-2012 06:43 AM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulDa Crusha 09-27-2012

very nice sculpting and paint job. I cant wait to see more.

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2
09-27-2012 07:59 AM
maxxev
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 40

RE: the warband of Azrog Blacksoulmaxxev 09-27-2012

Procreate is greystuff Happy lol, I find it a pain in the bottom to work with and generally mix it with GS to try and get around some of the issues I have with it (like flaking). I don't like using it on it's own. Brownstuff is best for armour but it's also the most expensive of the putties.

The best combo is probably greenstuff and mili put as milliput is sandable and hold edges very well, but it can't be smoothed with water as it has clay like properties (it disolves a bit) henc my suggestion of Milliput and greenstuff mixed. However in general I find GS is the easiest to work with....

Hope that helps, I wont comment on the figs as I already have on Toms Happy.

http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
09-27-2012 04:35 PM
Rozmax
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 57
Best Contributor - 2013 Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: the warband of Azrog BlacksoulRozmax 09-27-2012

Procreate it's good for sharp edges. Braun wery good, but ecspensive.( I like the procreate.If you won't to keep use the GS just push all armor one by one.

This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 04:55 PM by Rozmax.

09-27-2012 04:52 PM
theforgefather
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 90

RE: the warband of Azrog Blacksoultheforgefather 09-27-2012

I'm lovin it Wink

Renegades+Heretics http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/pos...45610.page
Chaos Dwarfs! http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid174878

09-27-2012 05:15 PM