Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (9): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!
Author MessageHats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 72

Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Soulassassin 02-20-2013

Welcome to my humble Big Hats Extravaganza!

Long time lurker in this forum, first time poster.

I have had a small army of Big Hats in boxes for some time now, mainly focusing on my WOC-army. This January Bad Dice Podcast launched a hobby challenge, and I decided it has a sign (from Hashut, most likely)
The challenge consists of monthly pledges, and updates showing the finished models. I hope to sneak in some WIP from time to time.

I have this blog running on the Bad Dice Forums as well (http://baddice.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2112) , and will be shamelessly copying updates onto CDO for you guys!

I will start with copying in jan and feb updates, and start with "fresh" updates soon. Enjoy Cheers!

2017 Image Salvage

Soulassassin`s Big Hat Extravagaza
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12743

"Ghrask Dragh has sent you 20 Slaves. The reason is side boob"

This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 02:01 PM by Admiral.

02-20-2013 03:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Soulassassin 02-20-2013

Posting some early test models I did last year. My January pledge is next up!

02-20-2013 03:16 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Soulassassin 02-20-2013

Holy smokes! End of jan came soon enough. Here in Norway we have had freezing weather and the Norwegain Warhammer Championships to keep us busy. Now time of this months pledge:

I will paint a Hellshrieker rocket (or death rocket for those of you who remember WW2) with crew. I have added an extra crewman to make it a bit more 8`th editiony.

PS: 10 victory point to whoever finds the part I glued on wrong  Tongue

02-20-2013 03:18 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Januarys pledge is now done, with seconds left on the clock.

The deathshrieker rocket  - with crew

This was in a way my first test models for the army. I have done some early test models some months ago, but were not really happy with any of them. I found a lot of inspiration in the Thamurkhan book, where the CDs had a very “straight from the furnace”-feel to them, especially the armor. The shield on the first page of the Chaos dwarf chapter is just what I was gunning for (could not find a picture of it, sorry) I also wanted a more realistic, and less cartoony contrast color, than the original big hats had. So no bright reds, thank you.

I ended up trying out a vibrant orange for the lava on my bases. The bases will be mostly black, and not overflowing with lava, as I find that approach way to bright. For larger bases I will try to do some light effects of red glow from the lava. For the deathshrieker rocket I tried out using the same orange as glowing runes on the model. This should be limited to only smaller areas of the models, unless they will end up looking like Evil Construction Site Dwarfs ™

Anyways: Feel free to give comments, praise or shun  Happy

This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 03:20 AM by Soulassassin.

02-20-2013 03:19 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

My pledge for Feb:

I need chaff! But I guess a Hobgoblin Khan on wolf will have to do  Happy This guy needs to be stripped and painted in less Mardi Gras-colors. I will try to do something with the base, to make the model more dynamic. I have considered changing the puppy to one of the new Space Wolf-Wolfs (sic) but since I have the original one, with horned helmet and all, I will just do with it. Stay Tuned and happy painting you guys! Happy

02-20-2013 03:20 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

A semi update before the weekend:

Not much painting done, but got the model stripped and added some rocks and lava-sediments on the base. Assembling the hobgoblin, I noticed that the back part of his cape was missing! My trips to E-bay lately have all been rather expensive, tracking down the models and bits for an old school CD army. And since old CD miniatures now cost about the same as uncut crack, I though I would build the cape myself.

Looking forward to painting this guy!  Happy

PS: just kidding about the crack thing, OOP chaos dwarf cost more than that.

PPS: Thanks for the mention on the BDD! I am really feeling this challenge is helping my motivation a lot  Happy

02-20-2013 03:21 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Right-o!

Update time. I have been painting away on my CDs lately, and even though progress is slow, it is at least progress  Happy

I wanted to give the hobgoblin Khan a more dynamic pose, as if he is charging forward. The miniature (and the mount) limits this a bit, but i tried to use the base to make it look more like it is moving. The paint scheme is contiuing what I started on the evil dwarfs. I decided to go for a pale and ash-like green for the skin, with a red nose for that natural "Hobgobbo look".

I have not varnished the model yet, and I am really looking for some feedback on the painting! Cheers  Happy  

02-20-2013 03:22 AM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 515
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!DAGabriel 02-20-2013

I like Hobgob, Wolf and Base, not too convinced about Weapon and shield. They could profit from some more love.

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
02-20-2013 04:03 AM
Zanthrax
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 232
Artisan's Contest - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Zanthrax 02-20-2013

Looking good - great old school big hats.

Keep up the great work.

Zanthrax

My guide to alternative Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs 2017 edition: http://ironhaiden666.blogspot.com/2017/1...chaos.html
02-20-2013 07:42 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Thanks for the kind word, guys! Takes Hat off that means a lot!

@DAGabriel: I can see what you mean with the axe and shield. I was thinking of painting the shaft of the axe in wood, and maybe adding some more detail in the metal. It can`t look to fancy though, it is only a lowly Hobgoblin...

The shields I have gone a bit back and forth on, whether to use Chaos marauders shields or go with the old round ones. One thing in on the characters, but it will have much impact on how the mono-pose plastic warriors will look.

I have decided to use the round type (thank you E-bay) and the old water transfers that I found in my drawer from my previous hobby life as a kid. Keepin`it old school Respect to the Hat! *gestures with fingers*  

I have tried to add some battle damage to the shield to make it look more realistic and more in tune with my painting scheme. What do you guys think? Any tips on improving the lovely but O-so-flat shields?

This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 09:49 AM by Soulassassin.

02-20-2013 09:49 AM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 515
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!DAGabriel 02-20-2013

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
02-20-2013 10:02 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1687
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Abecedar 02-20-2013

very nice, keep 'em coming. good work on the hobgobs horns, are you going to redo your 3rd crewmans horns or leave them as metal ones?.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
02-20-2013 05:53 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1528
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!tjub 02-21-2013

Good looking start, I like the pale look... Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

02-21-2013 01:13 AM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 251
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!BABIS 02-21-2013

Soulassassin Wrote:
Right-o!

Update time. I have been painting away on my CDs lately, and even though progress is slow, it is at least progress  Happy

I wanted to give the hobgoblin Khan a more dynamic pose, as if he is charging forward. The miniature (and the mount) limits this a bit, but i tried to use the base to make it look more like it is moving. The paint scheme is contiuing what I started on the evil dwarfs. I decided to go for a pale and ash-like green for the skin, with a red nose for that natural "Hobgobbo look".

I have not varnished the model yet, and I am really looking for some feedback on the painting! Cheers  Happy  

I also have a red nose hero ^^ enjoy

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

02-21-2013 05:10 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Soulassassin 02-21-2013

@DAgarbriel - those are some truly old school shields! Might give that a go, thanks!

@Abecedar -Good question about the horns really! Have not thought about it. I probably should do something else with them and I am using bone and skulls as contrasting elements (albeit rather subtle ones...) Bone it is then.

@Tjub - Tjena Tjub. Scandinavians dont get that much daylight, so I paint my dwarves accordingly! PS: long time (lurking) fan of you modelsHappy

@Babis - Looks really great! They probably have the same drinking problemCheers!

02-21-2013 06:21 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Yodrin 02-21-2013

Very nice Soul, keep it upHappy

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

02-21-2013 01:48 PM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Soulassassin 02-27-2013

And in the series "what on earth is Soulassassin building", we have this lovely number!

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? And why oh why does it have saggy tits?

Any ideas? Wink

02-27-2013 03:38 AM
Samanos
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 59

RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Samanos 02-27-2013

is it a  cow destroyer??

02-27-2013 04:19 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1687
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Abecedar 02-27-2013

I hope its no0t some sort of fetish idol

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
02-27-2013 06:22 AM
Soulassassin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Hats! Malice! Assyrian beards! Fire! Ash! Subtle USSR references! Slaves!Soulassassin 02-27-2013

Samanos Wrote:
is it a  cow destroyer??

Sort of Happy (got me thinking of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSlGQpvl_IA)

It is indeed the start of my Kadaii Destroyer, missing arms, head and some deamonwings. It so darn heavy that I had to glue it together with epoxy. Stay tuned!

02-27-2013 07:36 AM
Pages (9): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites