Pages (70): « First < Previous 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 Next > Last »
3 Votes - 5 Average   Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army Blog
Author MessageFuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army Blog
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 720
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogFuggit Khan 09-11-2014

Wow Shock
Thank you everybody for all the supportive feedback, I'm really happy to see you guys like the death Rocket bazooka guy...thanks Cheers!
And good suggestions from you guys regarding how I can use him. Skink, your idea of him leading my Blunderbuss unit is pretty cool, I like that! And alternatively I could still use him as the Death Rocket war machine himself at other times, depending on what army list I use in a game...good idea's all, thank you Takes Hat off

tjub Wrote:
Awesome conversion! Big Grin  Ill need one of those myself down the road... What do you use toe get such clean cuts and perfect arcs?

Thank you sir Takes Hat off
As for the tools I use, I actually only use these three things to cut/shape plastic:
[img][/img]

I use a small hand held hobby saw, it's an X-Acto handle with a saw blade inserted...it cuts through metal and plastic pretty cleanly. The metal file is flat on one side, curved on the other...the curved side makes nice clean arcs when filing/shaping plastic. I use GYROS brand hobby files, they're high quality Swiss-cut type 2 tools, best on the market in my opinion. And last but not least: a basic emery board to file/sand the edges...it's the same type for filing fingernails, only $1 in most cosmetic stores (hobby stores sell the exact same emery board for $6, stating it's a "hobby file"...Ha!)
One trick I do use...I always cut things a bit on the big size to start off, and then file/sand it down to the proper size, that way I have more leeway when I make mistakes Happy

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
09-11-2014 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doombeard
Unregistered

RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogDoombeard 09-11-2014

Really good imagination to see that one =)

09-11-2014 04:25 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogFuggit Khan 09-22-2014

Well, I'm putting the slaves on extra work shifts in hopes that I will manage to finish my Golden Hat XXI entry on time...I think I can get it done by the deadline, but it'll be close.
With that in mind, plus all my model time devoted to Golden Hat, I have no updates to share at the moment...but I wanted to ask you guys for your opinions on some added details for my Dawi Zharr bazooka guy:
Should I give him goggles?
Or perhaps a range finder mounted on the barrel? Something similar to my Blunderbuss Sniper (seen below)
[img][/img]

Or maybe a blast shield such as the WW2 bazooka styles? Maybe a blast shield stylized in the shape of a death rune?
[img][/img]

I really value everybody's opinions here on CDO...so feedback and idea's from all of you is appreciated Takes Hat off

09-22-2014 01:54 PM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 42
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogDînadan 09-22-2014

How about giving him a mask/visor like the Death Rocket crewmen have?

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

09-22-2014 02:11 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 628
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogAdmiral 09-22-2014

A mask/visor or range finder would probably work much better than a blast shield. This is because the latter makes the piece of equipment look sophisticated enough that it moves the model too much away from fantasy. The miniature works as it is now, with head and hat clearly visible. Still, a death rune blast shield would undoubtedly be cool. Good luck with Golden Hat! Happy

Edit: After further thought, a death rune blast shield could be the best way to go.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXIII - Deadline 23rd of September  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 06:56 AM by Admiral.

09-22-2014 02:25 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogBloodbeard 09-22-2014

"And then my little zharrlings we have the Sniper Blunderbuss!" the class-overseer said.

"What's a Sniper Blunderbuss lord class-overseer?" a little zharrling asked.

"That my youngling - is what you call a paradox."

I say death rune blast shield. The model is super detailed. The bazooka needs som detail work. A blast shield is a nice start. Yet goggles or a cigar would also be great. Then pethaps some arrows could pimp the Zharr-Naggrund Panzerschreck.

09-22-2014 02:34 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 713
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogSkink 09-22-2014

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Well, I'm putting the slaves on extra work shifts in hopes that I will manage to finish my Golden Hat XXI entry on time...I think I can get it done by the deadline, but it'll be close.

Finally! I can't wait to see that Hellcan... Pardon me, "Dreadquake with Slave Ogre" painted Tongue Wink

Fuggit Khan Wrote:

Hell yeah! You see, it doesn't matter if they aren't practical, the mini would just scream character with a pair goggles! That's the thing with 4th/5th edition minis, they are full of tiny particulars that are absolutely pointless  but add so much to a model's character (WHY a warrior would walk into battle strapped with dozens of bags and pouches? But boy do they look cool)... I remember that I fell in love with Lizardmen by looking at the very old Temple Guard models. They had all sort of fantastic details on them: Clam necklaces, intricate bracelets, jewels & impossible feathers... That's why I would give goggles to a trigger happy Chaos Dwarf Bazooka gunner!

...And this is why I wouldn't give him that blast-shield-thingy. His face would be completely covered by it.

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!

This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 04:21 PM by Skink.

09-22-2014 04:17 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Updated 09-30-2014: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogFuggit Khan 09-30-2014

Thank you guys for the helpful suggestions for my Bazooka Dwarf...I'm gonna donate slaves to each of you for helping me out with your advice. You all bring up very good points...but I think Skink brings up a good point for my 4th edition army theme:

Skink Wrote:

Fuggit Khan Wrote:

Hell yeah! You see, it doesn't matter if they aren't practical, the mini would just scream character with a pair goggles! That's the thing with 4th/5th edition minis, they are full of tiny particulars that are absolutely pointless  but add so much to a model's character

An excellent point! So goggles it will be Shock

And now that I am finally done working on my Golden Hat entry, it's back to regular day-to-day model making time. No goggles made yet, but I did green stuff sculpt his shirt sleeve and hand last night.
I'm not very good at sculpting hands, the least of which is the fact that I struggle to make the hand a big, thick "dwarf" hand, he's not some puny human with slim fingered hands. The vintage Perry sculpts always had very large, calloused, sausage fingered Dwarven hands, the hands of an anvil bashing metal forger.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Takes Hat off

09-30-2014 11:50 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogAdmiral 09-30-2014

Seamless hand sculpt. I bet Alan Perry at first glance would take the conversion, once painted, for some old model he could no longer remember he had sculpted. Wink

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
09-30-2014 12:07 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogSkink 09-30-2014

Great! Maybe your hands might be lacking a little bit of detail, but if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have noticed. Nah, honestly, I'm 70% sure that there's an otherwordly explanation to your Green Stuff $killz

09-30-2014 02:05 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Updated 10-02-2014: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogFuggit Khan 10-02-2014

Blunderbuss time!
Continuing my quest to make no two miniatures quite the same...I'm tackling a batch of Blunderbuss Dawi Zharr guys as seen on the right. These are nice sculpts, but they're rather taller than the other Perry sculpts...not accounting for the lovely Big Hat, you can see that the top of his brow and eye level makes him taller in comparison to other models.
[img][/img]

The main reason is because these guys have big ol' Romper Stomper creepers for shoes.
[img][/img]

Being the anal Infernal Daemonsmith that I am (emphasis on anal), it bothers me that they are too tall, so I cut off the bottom metal slot tag and then file off the bottom of their shoes to make them more equal in size to the other Perry sculpts...Big Hats are also sawed off for swapping between the two mini's
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

For metal miniatures I prefer to drill holes and glue in metal pins, such as here for gluing on his new Big Hat
[img][/img]

Ain't he beautiful Wink
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

And last, but not least...a package arrived from the Dark Lands (aka Sweden)!
[img][/img]

Thank you Admiral...I spent about 30 minutes just looking at all the detail on this Flayman that Admiral made. Pictures just don't do it justice...it is simply astonishing to see all the fine detail that Admiral sculpted in the model. I can't begin to sing enough praise about the talent that it took to make this Shock
And all the more reason for all of you to join in the Golden Hat contests, the chance of winning one of these Flayman models is simply to good to pass up!
Again, Thank You Admiral! My Hobgoblins are wickedly happy Hobgoblin
[img][/img]

10-02-2014 11:51 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogSkink 10-02-2014

Awesome! Wasn't expecting anything less from you! I still wonder how the hell you manage to get such clean cuts on metal minis... Can you show us the tools you use?

Also, 3 more 'bussers eh? How many you have now in total (meaning painted - unpainted but converted - command group)? You should be closing 20 now aren't you?

10-02-2014 12:28 PM
Bloodbeard

Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogBloodbeard 10-02-2014

I remember the picture of "Ye Olde Chest 'O Lead" - at some point even the mighty hat swaps won't make unique models anymore. Great job as always, really impressive work with that saw Fuggit. Making hat swaps that fits together even  without greenstuff. Wow.

The flayed man is awesome. I also spend hours looking at Admirals hobgoblin heads - in some way green stuff work like that is more impressive that casted miniatures. As you hold something completely unique and something that has taken so much skill to make.

Especially the hobgoblin with the black shirt is having a blast!

10-02-2014 12:36 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogAdmiral 10-02-2014

Thanks! The hatswaps and boot cuts are so very clean. Masterful work with some of the best models in the 4th edition range. If you run into a need for more variety in the future, how about a Chaos Dwarf with a monocle?

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
10-02-2014 01:16 PM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 251
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogBABIS 10-02-2014

nice hat swaps!!

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

10-02-2014 04:03 PM
Sticklander
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 125
Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogSticklander 10-04-2014

Fuggit, your blog is a constant source of inspiration! Though I would never put the knife to one of my metal big hat models...

'If I look back, I am lost.'
~------------~
Hobby Blogs:
Chaos Dwarfs, The Blooded Horde
A Song of Ice and Fire conversions
Moss Goblins
~------------~

10-04-2014 05:32 AM
MadHatter
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 237
Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogMadHatter 10-04-2014

Wow those hat-swaps, I'm full of envy Takes Hat off

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!
10-04-2014 05:37 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Updated 10-06-2014: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogFuggit Khan 10-06-2014

Thanks guys, much appreciated Cheers!

Skink Wrote:
I still wonder how the hell you manage to get such clean cuts on metal minis... Can you show us the tools you use?

Also, 3 more 'bussers eh? How many you have now in total (meaning painted - unpainted but converted - command group)? You should be closing 20 now aren't you?

Most of my blunderbuss models still sit in "Ye Olde Chest 'O Lead" (quoting Bloodbeard Tongue Wink)...I only have 17 finished/painted, 10 of those are custom conversions, so with a command group I have a small block of 20 guys.
And these are all the tools I use when I work metal mini's, the hand held X-Acto drill and saw are wonderful tools to use:
[img][/img]

Sticklander Wrote:
Fuggit, your blog is a constant source of inspiration! Though I would never put the knife to one of my metal big hat models...

Thank you! And yes, taking a knife to a vintage model is cringe worthy to say the least...almost heresy. But I hope people like the end result and that in some small way I'm expanding the range of models, to make a truly unique 4th edition army.

And on that note, time to commit more heresy...DON'T PANIC, NO MODELS WILL BE WASTED OR THROWN AWAY (disclaimer)
So as you can see here, not only were these models sculpted a bit taller, but they also have a longer, more slender Blunderbuss with a smaller and simpler barrel when you compare them to the other sculpts...and I don't like the long, narrow barrels
[img][/img]

AGAIN, DON'T PANIC...so I swapped Blunderbuss barrels. Am I crazy to swap blunderbuss barrels from one mini to another? Quite possible. But no worries, the guys with the hats and barrels cut off will be converted to war machine crew for a later project, so no models will be wasted or thrown away.
Okay, continuing with my heresy:
[img][/img]

Much better looking now I think
[img][/img]

Another rank in the works
[img][/img]

And green stuff blends it all together
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Takes Hat off

This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 11:57 AM by Fuggit Khan.

10-06-2014 11:54 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogAdmiral 10-06-2014

Flawless as always. Happy

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
10-06-2014 11:55 AM
Bloodbeard

RE: Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army BlogBloodbeard 10-06-2014

I have never seen another all metal army that is made up of completely different models. There are some impressive all metal armies out there, but nothing converted in the scale like this. I've noticed and wondered about the extra high miniatures before - but never noticed the slimmer guns.

That Big Bulltha Mortar will need a ton of crew. Do you have a big hat style slave ogre in mind?

10-06-2014 12:09 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Homage to the Great Hobgobla Fuggit Khan Enjoysrandom 12 2,089 08-16-2017 01:42 PM
Last Post: Ghrask Dragh
  MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog! MadHatter 7 2,499 07-07-2017 12:24 PM
Last Post: Bloodbeard
  Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr! Red Skullz 302 51,318 02-20-2015 08:47 AM
Last Post: Red Skullz
  The Besieger and his Golden Army. (BETER Pictures of the Hobgoblin Khan's) The Besieger 140 73,463 03-03-2014 03:07 PM
Last Post: BABIS
  BR's Army Blog Border Reiver 110 47,828 01-10-2012 11:46 AM
Last Post: Castellan

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites