Sculpting Blog
Author MessageSculpting Blog
Traxo
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 15

RE: Sculpting BlogTraxo 01-25-2014

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys! I enjoy drawing almost as much as sculpting, but i consider myself a better sculptor than artist Happy

GDD - Im glad you like the shoulders! I wasnt aware of the historical correctness to it, but i always thought it just looked better and more practical that way Happy About the shield, i can see i have drawed it a fair deal to small - it will indeed be larger on the models (but with the same proportions)

Glimpse of the Void - thanks man! Really appreciate it!

Bloodbeard - The form of the shield can look like many things - i personally see more of a skull Happy But be prepared - A bullshead shield will be involved in my "secret" project Wink And yeah, maybe he is a bit on the skinny side - but see the drawing as a overall guideline Happy

I havent any new pics to show, but i have a question for you! How would you experienced and hardcore "evil" dwarf fans like for one of the warriors to wield a sword/scimitar? I know its not a traditional dwarf weapon, but i would really like to move away from the normal stuff Happy

-Jon

01-25-2014 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Sculpting BlogBloodbeard 01-25-2014

I say go for it.

The Tamurkhan mentions the word "blades" at least on time under the Enscorled Handweapon entry.

Could be axe blades offcause. Some of the really old CDs had swords and the dwarfs in The Hobbit.

01-25-2014 03:27 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Traxo
Hobgoblin

RE: Sculpting BlogTraxo 02-02-2014

Bloodbeard - I think i will go for a single sword-wielding dwarf - i just hope i can make one with the right feel and style Happy

I have made a little more progress on the warriors, and they are starting to look like something - its still in the early stages, but i think the two poses work great:

I really try my best to make as much variation in the poses as possible (still limited by them being singlepiece-casts) If people have any ideas, please say so! Happy

Here is the early start for their shield:

I also got some work done on my "secret" piece (which probably is rather easy to guess now)

This will probably be the last "real" update for the next week or so - i start in a new school tomorrow, and think its going to take a lot of my time! But dont worry, i will not let the Darkstone Dwarfs be forgotten Happy

Thanks for watching!

-Jon

02-02-2014 07:01 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Sculpting BlogYodrin 02-02-2014

Oh, very nice shield!! LF to seeing the rest of the model your working onWink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

02-02-2014 12:58 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 738
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Sculpting BlogFuggit Khan 02-03-2014

Great stuff here as always...I really like the shield design. I especially like the ax you created, the handle behind the angled blade is a cool idea. I first noticed that design in your Avatar awhile back, and I've been waiting to see you model it on one of your guys. It was worth the wait! Well done Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
02-03-2014 12:56 PM
Traxo
Hobgoblin

RE: Sculpting BlogTraxo 02-17-2014

Well, it has been quiet for a while in this dusty corner of the forum.. The new school is taking its toll, and there is little time for sculpting.. That being said, the Darkstone Dwarfs are never far from my mind, and i have managed to squeeze a little sculpting in over the last week or so..

I want to show you the warrior that is furthest in the process, and i want to show him with the shield, to get an idea how they will look together:

He is far from done, and im still on the edge about his beard - i think it might be too short? But let me know what you think Happy

Oh, and as a little treat to myself, i recently aquired some bighats, and have rewarded myself with putting paint on this little guy:

He still needs a shield, but other than that, i consider him done..

-Jon

02-17-2014 06:13 AM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Sculpting BlogYodrin 02-17-2014

Another great sculpt , looks great!! Your big hat is very nicely painted, like the colors and the base is very very nice!!

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

02-17-2014 06:50 AM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: Sculpting BlogBassman 02-17-2014

Great progress with sculpting and nice to see something with some pain slap on! Happy

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://milanoarte.net/en/tour/the-last-s...ly-for-you

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

02-17-2014 07:46 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chico
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 128
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Sculpting BlogChico 02-17-2014

Looking rather nice as always, started up my own mini line recently so I can understand your troubles at the moment

My Blog (Click it)

On Sale(Click Banner):

02-17-2014 08:05 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Sculpting BlogBloodbeard 02-17-2014

Very nice sculpt. His pose i dramatic and cool - like his pushing in the front rank.

You don't see many left handed minatures.

I like the beard as it is - has a very 3rd ed feel to it. But the mini wouldn't get bad with a longer beard or some "glitter". Glitter as in spikes, skulls og rings in the beard. All evil guys love to put on some extra skullfactor.

A belt and pouch would give him that soldier look.

Looking forward to seeing both regiments 20 man strong.

02-17-2014 03:28 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 738
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Sculpting BlogFuggit Khan 02-18-2014

I love your classic Big Hat Dwarf...your painting skills (and choice of colors) are equally impressive as your sculpting skills Cheers!
Your newest sculpt is very cool, I love it...but I would suggest a longer beard maybe?

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
02-18-2014 12:30 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 142
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Sculpting BlogAdmiral 02-21-2014

May I propose a scimitar design? Maybe it can be of inspirational use for you. Happy

Would any possible customers be interested in a Darkstone Dwarf with such a one-hand weapon? Double-posting on forums for reach.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVII - Voting Deadline 3rd of July  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
02-21-2014 06:43 PM
GeofreyShank
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 24

RE: Sculpting BlogGeofreyShank 02-22-2014

Sounds good to me...
I'd even take a khopesh.

02-22-2014 04:35 AM
Sticklander
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 125
Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: Sculpting BlogSticklander 02-22-2014

These sculpts continue to impress!

And great painting! Happy

'If I look back, I am lost.'
~------------~
Hobby Blogs:
Chaos Dwarfs, The Blooded Horde
A Song of Ice and Fire conversions
Moss Goblins
~------------~

02-22-2014 05:54 AM
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  On Dark Tides - Cooperative blog for sculpting and casting ships [01-04-2016] Admiral 83 36,755 09-05-2016 03:46 PM
Last Post: Bassman

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites