Post Reply  Post Thread 
1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?
Author Message1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?Bloodbeard 01-16-2014

Going up against Tomb Kings of Khemri. The player hasn't played warhammer in a year, so we decided to start with 1000p armies and work our way upwards game after game.

The upside: I'll play with a fully painted army for the first time ever!

Downisde: We have very expensive heroes, so I'll need some advice.

What would be the way to go?

I've been playing with both a BSB Castellan and a lvl 1 daemonsmith in the past. Against dwarf. The daemonsmith was there to secure a hit from my hellcannon and the bsb to help win combat.

I think he'll bring the casket og souls even at 1000 points. So I'm inclined to bring a Daemonsmith with the chalice - in order to counter all that magic.

And go lore of flames.

Or I could go no magic, bring a castellan to make sure my unit stays in plays. Stubborn and re-roll on LD-tests. Making the unit hard to break - grinding him down. ... But his magic will raise a lot of skelies.

Or both. They'll be weaker - no tools. But will give me more options.

What do you think?

I'll bring 6 fireborn to the battle - as costly unit. But his heroes are flammable - and it would be awesome to burn those guys up. Low toughness should give me more wounds in CR. Unstable doing the rest of the job.

01-16-2014 06:17 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 617
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: 1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?Fuggit Khan 01-16-2014

I would go with just a Daemonsmith...I've played many games with no BSB, it can easily be done and just needs a different approach to how you play really.
And against Tomb Kings I think a Daemonsmith will be more valuable...personally I don't play with the chalice (I think it's a bit under priced and it turns off other players)...but if the other guy is bringing the Casket of Souls (which I also think is under priced), then fair enough, bring the chalice.
Plus, the 'infernal engineer' ability rocks Takes Hat off

Oh! And yes! Lore of Flames for sure...toast his guys Mad

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
01-16-2014 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bolg
Greater Bunny of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 579
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: 1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?Bolg 01-17-2014

I would just take a level one and most definatly a BSB als your general will be with you warmachines but the banner of disaplin on your unit of warriors so you have rerollable LD10 for them.

Check out my webcomic here...
01-17-2014 11:02 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snarkhunter
Slave

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 2

RE: 1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?Snarkhunter 01-17-2014

I wouldn't get too caught up in the Flammable character's thing.  At 1000p, the TK player might have 2 characters, but no more than that.  Keep in mind that TK wizards are NOT flammable.

I would try something crazy like this:

Castellan (General, FG, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of 4++, Ruby Ring)

19x IG (FC, Gleaming Pennant, FG, Naphtha)

5x BC (M, S, Shields)

Deathshrieker

Deathshrieker

Total = 999 pts

Dispel the casket, get your BC's into his archer bunker, target his monsters/large blocks with the shriekers, shoot his fast units (chariots, carrion, knights, horses) with your FG/ruby ring.

Hope this helps!

-Snark

This post was last modified: 01-17-2014 02:11 PM by Snarkhunter.

01-17-2014 02:08 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: 1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?Bloodbeard 01-17-2014

Snarkhunter Wrote:
I wouldn't get too caught up in the Flammable character's thing.  At 1000p, the TK player might have 2 characters, but no more than that.  Keep in mind that TK wizards are NOT flammable.

I would try something crazy like this:

Castellan (General, FG, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of 4++, Ruby Ring)

19x IG (FC, Gleaming Pennant, FG, Naphtha)

5x BC (M, S, Shields)

Deathshrieker

Deathshrieker

Total = 999 pts

Dispel the casket, get your BC's into his archer bunker, target his monsters/large blocks with the shriekers, shoot his fast units (chariots, carrion, knights, horses) with your FG/ruby ring.

Hope this helps!

-Snark

havn't build any deathshriekers yet - so that is no option for me. And even though it's smart, I think it's rather boring running a gun line.

But thanks for the comment.

It'll be friendly games - since he's new (just back into) warhammer. I've made three different 1000p lists. Will see how it works out.

Never noticed the daemonsmith can't choose from lore of hashut before.

01-17-2014 02:45 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 699
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: 1000p Castellan? Daemonsmith? Or both?Skink 01-17-2014

I would go with:

-Daemonsmith
-20 Infernal Guards
-5 fireborn
-Deathshrieker
-Hellcannon

The fireborn will easily eat up his skeletons, the warmachines can destroy the Casket and... well, after that you can use the Hellcannon to kill what remains.

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
01-17-2014 04:03 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites