Post Reply  Post Thread 
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf
Author MessageThere's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 191
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarfAdmiral 01-26-2014

Orc campfire song (6:40):

There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf
Skin a dwarf, skin a dwarf
Fourteen ways to skin a dwarf
And here is number seven

Wrap his beard around a plank
Give that plank a mighty yank
Peel him right down to his shank
And now there's seven more...

Howdy. Back in 1998 or so Blizzard advertised for an upcoming title, Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans, produced via companionship with a Russian company. Straggling schedules and the end of the click-game era made Blizzard cancel the game before release, a bit like Starcraft: Ghost.

I and my brother recently stumbled across a series of eleven play-through videos featuring the game, whilst having a hobby workshop. The Youtube video series is obviously not complete for whatever reason, but we were still surprised by the quality of the game and really enjoyed viewing it.

The creativity and attention to detail and previous strategy titles is obvious, and in it are some first appearances for things which later appeared in World of Warcraft, such as homing chickens or gnomish architecture. It's very much a Blizzard game, and it's a small shame it isn't available in any form considering the work's results.

It's worth to check out Lord of the Clans for anyone who likes Blizzard's Warcraft (especially pre-WCIII) or just fantasy with orcs, goblins and dwarfs in general.

Do yourself a favour when you've got the time. Load a drink and some snacks, and discover this lost title in a series of best-selling fantasy games.

If you like the look, feel free to comment about it and leave a request for further videos or even torrents for the game from the uploader, who got it from the Russian company.

News on CDO: Scribe's Contest XI - Deadline 22nd of August ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 05:05 PM by Admiral.

01-26-2014 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 818
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarfBloodbeard 01-27-2014

Brilliant. Thanks for this. Great song.

I'm was a big warcraft fan. Awesome world and nice games up until and including warcraft 3 and frozen throne.

I thing Blizzard has messed up one of the best fantasy settings with all the expansions for WoW. It's sad. I really like that world. But now the canon is a mess.

This post was last modified: 01-27-2014 05:28 AM by Bloodbeard.

01-27-2014 03:53 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xx9millxX
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 39

RE: There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarfXx9millxX 01-27-2014

Bloodbeard Wrote:

I'm was a big warcraft fan. Awesome world and nice games up and until warcraft 3.

I thing Blizzard has messed up one of the best fantasy settings with all the expansions for WoW. It's sad. I really like that world. But now the canon is a mess.

I still enjoyed warcraft 3 and was a big fan o the first 2 ... Never got to play wow

01-27-2014 05:13 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 191
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarfAdmiral 01-27-2014

Xx9millxX Wrote:
I still enjoyed warcraft 3 and was a big fan o the first 2 ... Never got to play wow

Then the Lord of the Clans playthrough will appeal to you. Cheers!

Bloodbeard Wrote:

I'm was a big warcraft fan. Awesome world and nice games up until and including warcraft 3 and frozen throne.

You're welcome. I've only played a little World of Warcraft through borrowed accounts, and seen or heard the rest from friends.

Enough to conclude that WoW has indeed left a narrative mess in its discarding drive through storylines in just a few years' time. It gives players a chance to live the adventures, but kills off villains and factions rapidly in an absurd timespan.

This poses an interesting problem for potential, future strategy titles.

If Blizzard makes a Warcraft IV in the future it will be a challenge to decide what to give attention, what to include, and what to retcon to retain some sort of continuity. The role of the WoW-players would of course have to be axed, with only a few passing mentions of "adventurers, mercenaries and heroes" as a bone thrown to WoW-players. Instead the talk and story would be about Horde or Alliance offensives, and named characters.

A WC4 game would probably be best if it started out to convert some of the better WoW storylines into campaigns. In fact several small extra campaigns (DLCs?) besides the major ones could work well. At least the story of the Defias brotherhood deserves that kind of attention.

Some of the background damage could be nullified by ignoring some twists of story in WoW (eg. destruction of Theramore), or subjugating them to some kind of Caverns of Time alternative timeline splice for whatever crazy reason.

On the flipside a potential Warcraft IV would have a decidedly richer environment to play out in. It'd have more Dwarven stuff, in particular.

Related thread.

News on CDO: Scribe's Contest XI - Deadline 22nd of August ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 04:15 AM by Admiral.

01-27-2014 05:48 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites