Pages (10): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
2 Votes - 4 Average   Malorndk's Army Blog
Author MessageMalorndk's Army Blog
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1130
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
Malorndk's Army BlogMalorndk 04-29-2014

Malorndk's Army Blog

What this blog will contain:

This blog will contain my progress on my Chaos Dwarf army. I will try to make it more pictures than words, but I have made an Army Showcase for those of you who only want the best pictures and close to zero of my comments.
Warning: This first post is a massive collection of pictures and words. Scroll through it to see the pictures, if the post is too text heavy for your taste ^^

About me:

I’m a 26 year old guy from Denmark. I’m married and my son Storm was born 24th February 2014, so I don’t have as much time as I would like. I’m studying at the university and I have been teaching Parkour at local youth schools since 2009 which is a great amount of fun. English is not my native languish and you will see some creative uses of ‘ as well as a lot of weird sentence structures and typos. Sorry about that.

Warhammer and me:

I have enjoyed the hobby since fifth edition (I was 10 back then). My first army was Orc’s & Goblins. It’s full of fifth edition models, but some of them aren’t shaded or highlighted. My sixth and seventh edition army is my Dark Elf Host, which is decently painted, though horribly based. It has a strong color theme (Boltgun metal, Chaos Black and Nauseating Blue) but though the models looks great under a painting lamp, the army as a whole is kinda dull once but on the table. Sure it blends well together, but nothing really stands out.
I always hated Chaos Dwarfs, but my brother painted a Lammasu back in the days, and through the years that model grew on me, with its beard and hat and banner poles. I discovered CDO in 2008, enjoyed the Word of Hashut, saw Xander’s Battle for Skull Pass tutorials and made my decision: “I want a chaos dwarf army”

Remember back in the days, when Goblin Green bases were the way to roll? I’m glad we moved on from that xD

Starting my chaos dwarf adventure:

Only problem with getting an army was (and still is), that I consider myself as quite a bad hobbyist as well as player. I had never used green stuff, I’m terribly slow at painting and even assembling my miniatures, and I’m not that creative. So I lurked for some years and kept an eye on the sales thread. I was the lucky buyer of a converted and painted hobgoblin bundle from a Geckilian, but my real investment arrived on ebay in 2011, where I spent 1300 US $ on a magnificent, prepainted Big-hat army, as seen in this gallery from the previous owner. Since then, I have enjoyed it and played some games using both the ravening hordes, Indy GT and later Tamurkhan rules, but I haven’t actually painted a lot since I bought the army. I very rarely play competitively, and when I play with my friends we are open to house rules. One of which is: “If you previously was allowed to field this unit and have invested time and money in it, we will make it work”. For me, this means I can field Black Orcs as they appear in the current Orcs & Goblins book and Spear Chukkahs as in the Ravening Hordes (6 under 3000, 12 over 3000). Dogs of War/Regiment of Renown can be used from the Warhammer Chronicles 2004 list and Ogre bulls, Ironguts and Maneaters can be fielded using the current Ogre Kingdoms book. This gives more tactical space, and surely makes the Tamurkhan list a lot more fun and versatile. My friends have even allowed me to make some special characters, which of course will be adjusted over time. If you wanna check the rules, click here.

The pros and cons of a prepaid army:

The pros are obvious – I could begin playing asap, without having to put any work into the army. It looked great, was pure metal, and the previous owner had even based the entire army on nice looking resin bases from Micro Art Studio. I thought I wouldn’t have a bond to the models as if I had painted them myself, but that didn’t happen, and I’m happy and proud to own my force, though it isn’t my own hard work which makes the foundation for the army.
The cons have revealed themselves over the years. Since I haven’t collected the army, I have had no say in which models it includes. Luckily, the army is big enough that it doesn’t really matter. I have had no say in the color theme, and I have to combine the converted hobgoblin host with the big prepainted army. The hobgoblin host is painted in dark colors with tons of Devlan Mud to finish them, while the prepaint army is painted in a plethora of light colors that catch your eye. So there is a pretty boring job to do, to repaint the right parts in the right colors, so that the two armies fits well together. This also sets a standard for my additions to the army. I have to try to use catchy colors, which is very outlandish to how I painted my Dark Elfs. On the other hand will this approach force me to learn, and the army will look better on the table top. The biggest con is, that the bases forces me to either invest A LOT of money in Micro Art Studio bases, use multiple base systems in one army or make my own imitation of the Micro Art bases with sculpting tools. I haven’t made a final decision on what to do about this problem, so right now I’m just combining different types of bases.

The origins of my army:

I bought the army in 2011, and the previous owner told me he had rebased the army. Parts of the army were featured in the Games Workshop book: General’s Compendium from 2003, which was apparently featuring armies from the US GW department and their friends. On page 121, this picture of some of my Blunderbuss’ can be seen:
If anyone have any hint who the original painter is, when or where my army was collected or painted and why the original painter chose to sell, please let me know Wink

The Hobgoblin Host:

This is the host I bought from Geckilian on CDO. Nothing has been repainted (yet), but in the long run I will change a lot. The host consists of 60 hobgoblins, 2 spear chukkas and 10 Chaos Dwarfs. The chaos dwarfs will later be a part of my Ironsworn unit, but that project is far into the future.

60 Naked Hobgoblins with 2 musicians

These are made from the current Flagelant bodies, and then with night goblin heads. In the future I’ll repaint their cloaks yellow, hoods red and blue, and add shields. They look really pumped for a goblin, but I have grown accustomed to my Swarznegger Hobgoblins Wink

2 Spear Chukkahs

The Hobgoblin crewmembers will receive the same treatment as above concerning the paintjob. The chukkahs is made from the miners box set I believe.

10 Ironsworns with Full Command

These are fairly standard BFSP conversions, but I’ll try to make 10-20 more and use them as my Ironsworns. In an army of Big-hats, they will stand out. Ill repaint them later, but haven’t decided how yet. This project is low on my to do list, as I’m bad with greenstuff, and the rules for Ironsworns is nearly as bad as the new Bleak Swords from the Dark Elf book.

The prepainted army

As this army is quite huge, I will make a lengthy run down of the different units, what I have changed and what I would love to chance in the future. The original painter was really fond of the banners from the 5th edition armybook, but I’m considering making my own. Not a priority right now though.

Core Units:

2*20 Warriors with full command

This is the mainstay infantry core of the army. I haven’t repainted anything. I would love to paint 40 marauder shields to replace these shields, which could then be transferred to some hobgoblins. I have 10 spare plastic warriors I could paint, so I can field them 2*25, but right now they are 100% metal.

24 Warriors with Blunderbuss’ and no command

I very rarely uses these, as they are way too expensive and forces me into some ridiculus formations, which could potentially loose me my steadfast vs a lucky charge roll. They are looking good though, and I have a command group lying around that I could paint for them if needed.

23 Hobgoblins with banner

The original painter loved light colors. That’s awesome. On his hobgoblins he went too far for my taste. Their cloaks were close to Sunburst Yellow, and I think their skin tone was Scorpion Green highlighted. This was too intense for me, and I couldn’t handle the swag. I performed the sacriledge of repainting their skin with Knarlock green, and threw Devlan Mud on the model afterwards. The Devlan treatment was splendid in the skin and robes, but it ate some of the cheerfulness from the blue and red hoods. Sometimes in the future, I will correct that mistake with some highlights. I have a musician on the way for this unit. Stay tuned. This is a comparison between the skin tones:

22 Hobgoblins with bows and no command

I gave these guys the same paintjob as the unit above, but without painting Devlan Mud on anything except the skin and robes. This is the better way to do it I believe. Banner and musician incoming “soon”.

Special Units:

20 Black Orcs with full command

These guys need some red shoulder plates to avoid to avoid the “too much metal color” syndrome. But asides from that, the original painter did a good job in my opinion

6 Bull Centaurs with a standard bearer

I LOVE THESE MODELS! I will deploy them in one unit, which is why I’ll paint two Banner beares. With 3 units of 4 bulls (2*2 formation) I can make quite a maneuverable strikeforce, which can hold flanks, take a beating and set up some flank charges. I’m considering the simplest solutions to make musicians for them, but I’ll keep thinking for a while. The bases took forever to make, but it allows me to play with Ravening hordes if I so desires.

4 Bull Centaurs

As you can see, one of these guys has a mightily yellow beard. That was actually a trend in the army I bought. Lots of models had this ridiculous colored beard, which I’m not fond of at all. So I repainted all but this one, just to preserve some of the armys story.

Spear Chukkah

I have two more of these on the way. A little red for my taste but I probably won’t chance it.

Deathshrieker

Not much to say here. I like the rocket head ^^

Rare Units:

Dreadquake mortar

Not much to say here either, except it’s awesome that our Earthshakers came with bannerpoles.

10 Hobgoblin Wolfraiders with a banner

This unit screams RAVENING HORDES!!! xD
Back then, Wolfriders had the same unitsize as normal Hobgoblins, so 10 was the minimum. They preserved their Fast Cavalry, even with shields, so that’s why they still have them. I have repainted their skin tone and bright robes, but aside from that, I haven’t touched them. In the future I would like to buy/convert 2 bannerbeares and 3 hornblowers, which would allow me to field 3*5 units.

Heroes:

Castellan

This is in my opinion one of the most iconic models from the 4/5th edition of Warhammer Fantasy. The paintjob is pretty damn good and I almost always field him as my Battle Standard Bearer (The bannerpoles on his back is finally good for something else than swagpoints ^^)

Hobgoblin Khan

I recolored his skintone, gave him a shield and made some flaming blend on the axe’s arrows. Aside from that I haven’t changed anything.

Bull Centaur Tauruk

I believe he had one of the yellow beards, but I’m not sure. I haven’t repainted anything else. Gave him a shield though ^^

Lords:

Astragoth/Sorcerer-Prophet

This is an awesome, although really weird, model. Lots of small parts, but mostly metal. The original painter had made an incredible dull work out this paint job, so I have repainted everything but the dwarf himself, to add bright colors and make the model stand out. The old paint job was pretty much grey, metal and white, so I couldn’t tell where the beard stopped and the machine began.

Sorcerer-Prophet on Great/Bale Taurus

I have made him an optional base, so I can decide whenever I want him on a Great or Bale Taurus. I haven’t recolored anything here, but will probably give his rock a paintjob to bring it in line with his base
Aside from what I have shown you here, the army I bought also contained a hero leveled Sorcerer, 15 Sneaky Gits and a Lord on a Lammasu. I will recolor the Sneaky Gits later, and use them as normal hobgoblins, but I probably won’t use the sorcerer or Lammasu.

My own additions to the armies

As you have already seen, I went from zero Chaos Dwarfs to a pretty large army in one big buy. That means I haven’t been in a dire need to paint to be able to play. I have made some additions over the years however, which I will account for here. I will go through it chronological, so my oldest additions will be first. That way I will try to get this showcase-ish first post to transition into an Army blog with occasional updates, battle reports and so forth.

Dreadquake mortar 2

Not the best picture but w.e. This was the first thing I painted back in the days. I have a hard time adjusting to bright colors, but I will learn in time. From a gamer perspective: 2 Earthshakers with the Ravening Hordes rules was quite strong! Lots of games won because of these ^^

Deathshrieker 2

I painted this around the time that I painted the Dreadquake Mortar.

Daemonsmith

This guy is actually quite cool in real life. The purple/yellow color theme may or may not have been my feeble attempt to grasp the beauty of a certain blog on this forum with a circus theme ^^
Sad to say I didn’t nail it, but he still looks decent. Bannerpoles will be added at a later stage.

Dog’s of War: Ogres

Since I’m allowed to field them, I couldn’t resist buying them. I have a banner bearer and an extra ogre in the making as well. I will need to make a proper job on the bases though. I’m not a fan of the K’daii Fireborns - neither their rules nor their models. If I want to field some Monstrous Infantry, it will be these guys.

Dog’s of War: Dark Emissary

A rebasing is needed for him as well, but I absolutely love the model. Pretty cool stuff. And his rules were updated in the Storm of Chaos compendium.

Deathshrieker 3

This is my first conversion attempt with the Battle for Skull Pass kit. It’s from around Christmas 2013 , so It’s fairly new.

K’daii Destroyer

This is my latest model at the time of writing (April 29th 2014). I have always loved the Balrog model, but never had any use for it. I bought a chopped up used version that lacked its lower arms, so I had to try my way with greenstuff. Making scales where the wings used to be was easier than expected. I have never in my life tried to paint flames, and although I didn’t make the inverted flames which are the realistic way of doing it, I’m still pretty proud with the result. It appears to be damn hot, which is what I aimed for, so I’m a happy hobbyist.  The brightness of the Destroyer doesn’t fit super well with the rest of the army, but it’s a sacrifice I chose to make, in order to make him as fiery as I possible could.
The base took forever to make, and even longer to paint. I tried to hit the Micro Art Studios look, but had to use Polyfilla (Spackling paste) to model it. Lastly I will touch on the gap between torso and the arms. I have no experience with magnets, but I wanted to be able to transport my Destroyer around easily. That means I haven’t glued him to the base, and the arms can be taken off as well. The downside is that it leaves the gap between torso and arms, which annoys me more than any of you.

Full Army

Moving forwards

My to do list right now includes a lot of Tamurkhan units, such as two Hellcanons, an extra Destroyer and two Iron Daemons. Aside from that I’m working on some extra Spear Chukkahs, Black Ors, Ogres, Infernal Guards, Ironsworns and command groups to all my hobgoblin units. I’ll need some unitfillers to amass some numbers as well. I also have a unit of 24 Bearmen of Urslo stading ready. Lastly, I have som recoloring to do. The 60 brown Hobgoblings are too boring to look at, and they need shields. The Black Orcs are to Boltgun metal, and will need some red shoulderplates.

That’s all I have for now. I probably won’t update this often, but I wanted you all to know that my army exists and sees play regularly. I will read everything you post, and answer any initial questions I haven’t covered, but ill try only to post when I have actually “done something”. I know I’m not painting at Skink level or converting at Tjub/Snotling level, but I hope you will enjoy what have presented regardless ^^

- Pelle Jæger / Malorndk

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle

This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 08:44 AM by Malorndk.

04-29-2014 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 672
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Malorndks Army BlogSkink 04-29-2014

"That's all I have for now" he says.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, and I think I'm speaking on behalf of all the CDO community, I say that we are utterly offended by the ridicoulously small size of your army. Please refrain from updating this blog again.

Nice presentation and lovely army you got there! Well painted, mind blowingly based and IT'S MASSIVE!!!!

2017 Image Salvage

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!

This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 08:11 AM by Admiral.

04-29-2014 09:03 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 191
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Malorndks Army BlogAdmiral 04-29-2014

Great old school army! The bases and unit trays plays in your favour. Nice paintjobs, too.

News on CDO: Scribe's Contest XI - Deadline 22nd of August ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
04-29-2014 09:14 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 461
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Malorndks Army BlogFuggit Khan 04-29-2014

Shock
RESPECT!

What an incredibly massive, beautiful and impressive army you have!
I'm truly jealous...I love everything about them, the classic vintage 4th edition Big Hats, the classic colors (beautiful!) and the unique Deathshrieker Rocket conversions.

Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
04-29-2014 11:43 AM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 246
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Malorndks Army BlogBABIS 04-29-2014

Malorndk Wrote:

The origins of my army:

I bought the army in 2011, and the previous owner told me he had rebased the army. Parts of the army were featured in the Games Workshop book: General’s Compendium from 2003, which was apparently featuring armies from the US GW apartment and their friends. On page 121, this picture of some of my Blunderbuss’ can be seen:
If anyone have any hint who the original painter is, when or where my army was collected or painted and why the original painter chose to sell, please let me know Wink

OH MY GOD
I started my Chaos Dwarfs army just after I saw this picture on the White Dwarf.... just WOW

this army is truly amazing!

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

04-29-2014 01:34 PM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 36

RE: Malorndks Army BlogBen Saunders 04-30-2014

Nice army. Even though bits have been painted by different people, things didn't immediately jump out as not fitting with the rest.

04-30-2014 05:01 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Malorndks Army BlogMalorndk 05-01-2014

Hi guys thx for the kind words. Mean a lot coming from you guys Cheers!

@Skink: Having the base-master compliment my bases really made my day. You are a beast!

@Admiral: The movement trays are quick to make which is lucky since I have to make quite a lot of them Wink

@Fuggit Khan: You have nothing to be jealous about good sir!

@Babis: That's awesome! Can you remember which White Dwarf you saw the picture in? I have screenshottet page 121 from The Generals Compendium (2003), but if it has been used somewhere else it would be fun track down.

@Ben Saunders: Glad you think the army fits together. One of my biggest headaches is the difference in base style, but ill try to make a blend by havin some on rocky ground, some on gravel and som on a mix of both.

I have decided to change my mind about this blogs future. Here on CDO I have made an Army Showcase in addition to this Army Blog. Ill try to keep the Showcase updated with the best pictures, and as few comments as I can, while I will use this blog to post my progress, battle reports, ideas and thoughts on chaos dwarfs in words as well as pictures. I had to get my big first post out of the way, before this became tangible for me Wink

The last pieces of the prepainted army

I mentioned earlier that the large prepainted army also came with a Lammasu, Deamonsmith and 15 Sneaky Gits. I didn't include them in the first post, as the Sorcerers are the worst paintjobs of the lot, hence I don't field them in battle. The Gits will need recolor I gave the other hobgoblins in order to blend with the army as well. It felt wrong to leave them out from the first post though, so I decided to show them now instead

Sorcerer-Prophet on Lammasu

These pictures make the paintjob look better than it actually is. IRL the paintjob appears to be rushed through, when compared to the rest of the models in the prepainted army. The original painter even glued one of the banners on upside down, which is a pretty uncharacteristic mistake on his part.

Daemonsmith

Decent painting on this guy, but he could use a lot more details on his equipment, and maybe a different colored cloak to balance the amount of red on him.

15 Sneakygits + unpainted banner and mus

Here you can see the original skin tone that all the hobgoblins came with. It's supershiny, and actually pretty cool, but I couldn't handle the swag and chose the darker alternative with Knarlock Green + Devlan mod. This unit will need quite a bit of work before I can field it, but it will happen eventually, as I adore the old Sneaky git models.

What's in the making?

I have a lot of things to make, aside from all the adjustments already mentioned in the first post. Since I'm quite slow, ill adjust my priorities after who my next opponent will be, as that give me an extra motivation.

Forgeworld Iron Daemon

No pictures taken, as it isn't even based or primed yet. Ill probably push this for quite some time before I'll start the work on it. Great model though!

Banner Bearers and Musiciants for my 4 finished hobgoblin units

Getting these done would mean that all of my playable hobo units, will have both a banner bearer and musiciant, which is needed in order to feel the unit is "complete". I probably wont be able to hit the exact colors the original painter used, but I should be fine.

3 Hobgoblin Boltthrowers

This will bring me up to 6 total Boltthrowers, which is a good spot to be in. Not gamebreaking in larger game, but quite cheese in a smaller battle (A little cheese is needed from time to time, to keep your friends guessing your next move).

4 Black Orcs

Not much to say here, except I'm out of Dark Angels green, and don't know what to do xD

2 Ogres - inc Banner

This will bring me up to 6 completed Ogres, which is all I ever wanted. They will take forever to paint.

Beorg Bearstruckt and the Bearmen of Urslo

I bought 10 bearmen prepainted once, and have glued 16 marauders to accompany them. Ill try to speedpaint them to tabletop quality, but cant convince myself to start yet. I dont exactly know what I'll use them for, but having a mercenary werebear is kinda awesome.

2 Bull Centaur Banners, AOW Lord and converted Wolf Raider Mus

The 2 Bull centaurs will allow me to field 3*4 Bulls in 2 ranks. All with banner bearers. Ill conver some drums onto some other bulls to get the musiciants covered.

That's my current WIPs. Don't exactly know where I'll start yet, but I'll keep you updated Takes Hat off

05-01-2014 09:12 AM
MadHatter
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 228
Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMadHatter 05-01-2014

What a great army, it has everything I like about the Chaos Dwarfs then slam documented history in official material on top of that (Now that's something you don't see every day). Congratulations Happy

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!
05-01-2014 09:52 AM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 246
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Malorndks Army BlogBABIS 05-02-2014

Malorndk Wrote:
@Babis: That's awesome! Can you remember which White Dwarf you saw the picture in? I have screenshottet page 121 from The Generals Compendium (2003), but if it has been used somewhere else it would be fun track down.

back in the days (around 2004) they were publishing the generals compendium through tha pages of the italian White Dwarfs, I cannot remember the exact number Wink

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

05-02-2014 01:12 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ PointsMalorndk 07-02-2014

Daemonsmith progress update

I'm slowly progressing on my yellow/purple daemonsmith and I could use some help to determine which banners to use on him.

As you can see, the retouched paint job looks more crisp, even if the picture quality is a little bad. In real life the difference is pretty big. I have decided that my characters shall have the bannerpoles, even if the banner work will eat away at my spare time.

Since I'm super bad at freehand, I have tried to make the banners I want to give him in photoshop, and then try to get a good print of them. I like "Solution 1: Mixed colors" the best, but tell me what you think Happy

07-02-2014 07:55 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 818
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated second July)Bloodbeard 07-02-2014

I disagree with Herby and say go with the dual colour option.

07-02-2014 11:11 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Slaves: 461
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated second July)Fuggit Khan 07-02-2014

Trying to pick color choices on banners is always tough I think...because banners are what a persons eye tend to drift towards first, they tend to make the first impression for an army.
I like all four of the color styles you posted...but based on the color you painted your Daemonsmith, I would agree with Herby's choice. I think that color combo will best go with the colors of his cape and Big Hat...plus I think the lightning bolts from the base of the skull nicely contrasts to the skull design itself (as opposed to the arrows).

But again, they are all nice, any one you pick will look wonderful Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"

This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 05:40 PM by Fuggit Khan.

07-02-2014 05:40 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated second July)Yodrin 07-03-2014

Bloodbeard Wrote:
I disagree with Herby and say go with the dual colour option.

I agree with Mr. Blood on this oneHappy

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

07-03-2014 01:35 AM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 36

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated second July)Ben Saunders 07-03-2014

Herby Wrote:
I prefer this one

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
I would agree with Herby's choice. I think that color combo will best go with the colors of his cape and Big Hat...plus I think the lightning bolts from the base of the skull nicely contrasts to the skull design itself (as opposed to the arrows).

If I understand correctly, the question is which pair of banners to go for: either yellow-on-purple and purple-on-yellow or purple-on-purple and yellow-on-yellow. Picking one banner (purple-on-purple) doesn't really settle it since, even if that is the best, if yellow-on-yellow were awful it might still be better overall to go with the other pair.

I'm not sure what I think either, but I thought clarifying the question would generate more helpful answers.

07-03-2014 02:52 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated second July)Malorndk 07-03-2014

Thanks Ben Saunders

You understood what I meant, even though my post was written out kinda badly. I have printed enough of every combination to look at in context with the Daemonsmith. The yellow banners are simply just awfull. This makes the purple banners lack a partner on the other pole. My army has varied banners on all twin poles, so I have made a new combo of icons to support the purple banners. What do you guys think?

Wolf Raiders Galore
Over the last couple of months, I have been active on ebay. I have been looking for Ghazak Khan and Oglah Khan, so I can field the 3 different mounted hobgoblin heroes as Khans if the need arises. While looking around, I went into a fierce buying frenzy, so that I'm now in possesion of quite a bit of Wolf Raiders.

When all is painted I will end up with:
3*5 Wolf Raiders with Bows and hornblowers
5 Wolfraiders with axes and a hornblower (+1 Banner bearer)
5 Wolf raiders with spears and a hornblower (+1 Banner bearer)
4 Khans on Wolfs (Oglah Khan, Ghazak Khan, the normal Khan and the champion from the axe wielding wolfboys)

It will probably never be a good choice to field 27 wolf raiders + 4 Khans, but for a fun game here and there it will be a great experience. This will not be the priority though. It's just nice to have Happy

Ohh I also got my Bezhukk home. Thanks Ravenswood <3

I have absolutely no idea what to do with him, but its a beautifull miniature!

This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 03:57 AM by Malorndk.

07-03-2014 05:38 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 191
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated: 03-07-2014)Admiral 07-03-2014

Congratulations on the new additions. My brother and I also have Hobgobla Khan's wolf riders, apparently our local video store was something of a fossil bed for OOP Warhammer kits. A shame we didn't realize this and buy more back in the days.

I'm sure Bezhukk will fit right in with your army, with the usual colours. Cheers!

News on CDO: Scribe's Contest XI - Deadline 22nd of August ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-03-2014 05:52 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated: 03-07-2014)Malorndk 07-05-2014

Daemonsmith completed

I have finished my Daemonsmith today, with the purple banner solution. I haven't made a banner in at least 5 years, so the whole process with deciding style, colors, icon has been a challenge. The practical side of the job (the printing, cutting and glue process) has been a nostalgic, yet terrifying experience with a lot of trial and error, but the end result looks good. I should probably have made the banners slightly smaller, as it will be a bother to fit the Daemonsmith in a unit of infernal guards. On the other hand: This guy will rarely be more than an level 1 engineer, with the occasional dispel scroll, and it shouldn't be a problem to keep him cozy between some Magma and Hell canons.

He is only pinned to the base, so I can place him on a flying carpet or on the obligatory Altar of Hashut that every chaos dwarf player eventually will try to convert at some point Wink

I'm not an outstanding miniature painter, but I spent a lot of time on this hero, so he can stand out between the tabletop quality, that my army generally is painted in. I have applied a shit ton of highlights, so the colors look crisp even when seen from afar. If I had been a better painter I would have made some sweet freehand runes on the cloak, done something clever about the very yellow brim on the hat and made the eyes stand out more. Anyway - hope you like the end result Cheers!

07-05-2014 12:22 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 818
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated: 03-07-2014)Bloodbeard 07-05-2014

Great result. And a good way to shoe him off, simple but effective editing of the pictures.

He looks very mighty with the two banners.

07-05-2014 12:26 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated 05-07: Daemonsmith done)Yodrin 07-05-2014

Looks great!!!!!!

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

07-05-2014 04:25 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: Malorndks Army Blog - 5000+ Points (Updated 05-07: Daemonsmith done)Malorndk 07-23-2014

Sorcerer-Prophet on Lammasu

This miniature was the one which convinced me Chaos Dwarfs rocks. I used to hate chaos dwarfs as a little kid, but my cousin asked my big brother to paint his mage on a Lammasu back in 2002, and since then it just stood there in the glass cabinet and looked awesome for 12 years. I haven't done anything to either banners or paint job since 2002. The only thing I did was a complete rebasing from the goblin green monstrosity it was before xD

I have yet again tried my "comic book presentation style." Please tell me if it's working, or just a waste of my time. I have also begun putting gradiants on my pictures to lighten them up a little, but I'm trying to not spend to much time on the editing, so graphical errors might appear some places.

The last picture shows the to monster riders together. I will rarely field them in the same army, but I absolutely hate that the riders are dublicates! I will therefore paint the original Taurus Lord someday, so my monsters can hang out next to each other without annoying me. Btw. I also repainted the stone on the Taurus' base to better match the basing theme of the army.

Looking forward I have tons of stuff soon to be posted, including a lot of photoshop remakes of the original banners, full command group for all my hobgoblin units, and a sharpened up Earthshaker paint job. Progress is being made, slowly but surely. The next update might be a picture heavy battle report for a 1v1v1 battle I had recently, but this week I'll  play a 3000 points battle against 1500 points of WoC and 1500 points of DE which should also end up as a battle report, if the pictures are good enough.

This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 02:56 PM by Malorndk.

07-23-2014 07:11 AM
Pages (10): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The House Blackhand army - Ravens army blog? The Raven 5 4,573 09-09-2008 04:12 AM
Last Post: puppet gathering

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites