Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (16): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 4 Average   Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!
Author MessageBig noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 106
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Red Skullz 11-06-2014

Hi!

Long time since I've been here. Last time with a plog on my kustom made Blood Bowl team, the Zharr-Naggrund Juggernauts. Ironically I traded them and two other kustom made BB teams for some 4th edition CD Happy

Now they've been lying in a bin since I got them but after going to the national tournament in miniature wargaming (in Norway) playing 40k I finally got back the urge to play fantasy again. Mainly due to all of the great armies I saw and my awesome 4th ed miniatures.

Here's my starting point.

Mind I've got a ton of stuff, probably in the 4k+ region but you've gotta start somewhere Happy

Now the coolest thing (imo at least) is that I'm running this plog also as an article series on BoLS. Here's the links to part 1 and 2. Part 3 is out this weekend I think.
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/10/w...1.html?m=1
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/11/w...2.html?m=1

For some batreps and spoilers go to my blog, http://bigbossredskullz.wordpress.com/

There, now it's all up to speed and from now on regular updates Happy

R

2017 Image Salvage

[Blood Bowl] Zharr-Naggrund Juggernauts

Team Anarchy, gaming community (in norwegian).

This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 04:48 PM by Admiral.

11-06-2014 03:53 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 36

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Ben Saunders 11-06-2014

I knew I'd seen this elsewhere (BoLS as it turns out). Always nice to see more Chaos Dwarfs.

11-06-2014 04:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doombeard
Unregistered

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Doombeard 11-06-2014

Curious why you don't strip the old paint jobs off them?

11-06-2014 08:16 PM
Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Hat or Die!

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1355
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!tjub 11-07-2014

Looks like a good start!

11-07-2014 02:23 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 294
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!TheHoodedMan 11-07-2014

I`m growing more fond of the big hats day by day (and actually couldn`t resist to buy a bunch ;-)). I am really looking forward to this. Chaos Dwarf need all publicity they can get so keep writing on BolS :-).

11-07-2014 02:52 AM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Red Skullz 11-07-2014

Cheers everyone Happy

Aye big hats are an iconic piece of GWs miniature range. Cool that FW actually gives a nod with a good mix of that look and the newer look of the hellcannon crew. All old news here of course Wink
Personally they're growing on me more and more as I paint them. So I'm on the lookout for more but oop on eBay is at blood money level..

Now the reason I don't strip them is due to not having to. The details on the old ones aren't exactly sharp (sculptwise, typically of this era of plastic) in the first place so I use washes, inks and blending to compensate. You wouldn't notice the difference tbh after paint.

As for BoLS I hope the CD community supports my articles and the number of views so far have been promising Happy

11-07-2014 03:24 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 617
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Fuggit Khan 11-07-2014

Yes! More army blogs! Cheers!
And do I see the vintage 4th edition Lord from the Taurus converted to a standard bearer? That's a new trick, I like it Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
11-07-2014 01:57 PM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Red Skullz 11-07-2014

Cheers Fuggit Happy

Aye you do indeed, happy you like it Big Grin I wanted an imposing miniature as my castellan and he fits the bill.

R

11-07-2014 03:36 PM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Red Skullz 11-08-2014

Part 3 of my article series on BoLS is out (about this army)  Happy

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/11/w...3.html?m=1

R

11-08-2014 05:42 PM
Doombeard
Unregistered

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Doombeard 11-08-2014

Do you work for BTP? Tongue You kray kray

11-08-2014 06:30 PM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Huh? Nae not at all and BoLS isn't paid either Wink

11-08-2014 06:58 PM
Doombeard
Unregistered

Red Skullz Wrote:
Huh? Nae not at all and BoLS isn't paid either Wink

Ok I'm going to be honest as you seem like a nice guy... Personally I would not get into the habit of painting over stripped minis ever, no matter what you think; you ARE loosing detail. AND I would learn to paint freehand, in the time it takes to copy print and cut out (quite badly) and stick on those paper shield icons, you could have practiced and learned to freehand them. That's my two cents. Each to their own though.

11-08-2014 07:27 PM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Well I prefer you being honest rather than with a rude comparison as you did with the BTP thing...

With that said (and yeah I'm a nice guy). Here's my response to something that is kicking up a little storm in the comments over at BoLS and obviously you as well.

1. Stripping minis is unnecessary imo unless they're caked in paint. These where not caked but had a thin layer of poorly applied paint.

2. Maybe I should've freehanded the shield designs but that was not the point. The point was finding the old designs and applying them "oldhammer" style on the shields and blinging them up with colours. And seriously. Yes the cutouts aren't the best on all of them but the scale IRL you won't exactly notice it.

This article series, on the creation of the army is about me learning new stuff. I've never said in any place that I'm an expert or a professional.  I'm just a normal guy with plastic crack as a hobby. How I got the BoLS gig? Ask Larry cause I have no idea! Though I'm proud I have that opportunity Happy

You see where I'm coming from now maybe

11-08-2014 08:06 PM
Doombeard
Unregistered

Sorry for the trolling man no bad feelings intended! Couldn't resist Tongue Yeah I totally get what you mean, you want to copy the 90's look which is a nice idea and I'm glad you are sharing your blog =) We will have to agree to disagree about the paint stripping. Its not for me to say whats right or wrong but if you do learn to freehand that's a skill which you can apply again and again on different projects. I've done a few bighat armies, the last I did was a 'carbon copy' of this one about 9 yrs ago (same shield designs and everything) http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/arena/3390/arme.jpg - which I regrettably sold on ebay for a ridiculous amount of money. I found using the gw transfer set was harder than just learning to freehand and I think the hobgoblin shields didn't have any transfers? And I wanted them all to match ie not half painted and half decals. They also looked too shiny and crinkled once applied. Making a poor mans decal out of paper is just making a poor mans version of a not very good original solution to begin with. My best advice is if you want to learn new techniques learn from the masters at CMON forums, they will help you a lot and teach you some great stuff and stop any bad habits you have so you are moving in the right direction. For instance painting yellow over black like that, your black is still showing through the yellow quite badly and white might've been a better choice. If you are just doing it for fun then doesn't matter what anyone else thinks and screw it, and I applaud you for sharing your work good sir =)

11-08-2014 08:41 PM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Red Skullz 11-09-2014

Thanks for the lengthy and very reasonable feedback. No hard feelings here, I'm a grown up so I can take both good and bad in the same stride Happy

As for using this type of transfer technique. I'm steadily getting better. Just wait until you see my bsb Wink
So maybe in the end of this project my  skills will have improved on the freehand. Now CMON is obviously the place to go for single or smaller groups of miniatures. I make armies. What I mean about that and I saw tjub kinda saying the same thing in his blog. At this stage in life it's about taking on an army as a project and completing it in an economic way with the best possible result. Don't know if you've seen my blog but my Ork army is a result of that approach.

Anyway, I find this discussion refreshing and I suspect in part it's due to the BoLS gig as that "obviously" allows people to go at me as you did initially Doombeard. The positive of it is that we ended up having a very good discussion on it. I have several mates I chat with where we do this and I appreciate it a lot. To often in later years forums are almost overly kind instead of being constructive and honest.
With that said I know that it will come more of that as this project will rub people the wrong way. Yes it's retro by its model base but that is not the same as not changing stuff.

Regards,
Tommy

11-09-2014 03:36 AM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Ben Saunders 11-09-2014

I think the photocopied decals was a nice idea actually. I probably wouldn't use it myself, but it's a clever solution for those that want to go that way. I was also baffled by your choice to paint yellow over black, rather than a white undercoat, though. Still, it won't be too noticeable when one looks at the whole army on the table.

11-09-2014 06:07 AM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Thanks Ben (i guess your Ben S on BoLS?) Happy

It's about the end result indeed. If I'd gone from white on the bright colors and black with the darker it would've looked weird next to each other. My choice of colours and the different decals are meant to show that there are individuals in the regiment but they march together in times of war.

11-09-2014 07:22 AM
MadHatter
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 237
Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!MadHatter 11-09-2014

I love the work your doing! Love the old transfers, and you make it look old-school and cool Cheers! I believe in stripping the minis! I find graffiti remover works awesome, spray it on, see it bubble and work its magic then wash it off (dont try on plastic) Wink

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!
11-09-2014 07:41 AM
Red Skullz
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Tjenare grabben Happy point taken on the paint stripping Wink

11-09-2014 08:06 AM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Big noses and bigger hats. OOP Dawi Zharr!Ben Saunders 11-09-2014

Red Skullz Wrote:
Thanks Ben (i guess your Ben S on BoLS?)

Indeed I am; I'm following your progress on two sites.

11-09-2014 10:44 AM
Pages (16): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fuggit Khan's Big Hats, Big Noses n' Big Teeth Army Blog Fuggit Khan 1,330 415,086 Today 01:47 AM
Last Post: Duncan
  Lambe's attempt at some Dawi Zharr! (Updated 11/6/13) ztlambe 26 9,045 11-07-2013 04:19 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Some italian Dawi Zharr! [04/07/13 hobgoblin] ste1221 19 11,987 07-21-2013 08:38 AM
Last Post: Averrucus
  Smurfs Dawi Zharr, on a budget. Smurf 3 2,933 06-26-2013 10:36 AM
Last Post: Smurf
  Fonejakers Blog Of Dawi Zharr "iness "  IM BACK fonejaker 47 18,958 04-30-2013 04:59 AM
Last Post: fonejaker

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites