Post Reply  Post Thread 
The Goblin and the Lammasu, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr
Author MessageThe Goblin and the Lammasu, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 98
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
The Goblin and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrAdmiral 01-12-2015

The Goblin and the Lammasu, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr

Once upon a time, there was a crafty Goblin so cunning he could deceive any creature, fool anyone and trick everyone in the whole world. One day, the Goblin came upon a Lammasu who claimed himself to be craftier than any god or mortal being, yes he could outsmart all of creation and cheat death itself should he wish to do so.

The Goblin was intrigued and decided to challenge the wits of the Lammasu. Against all the odds, the tiny Greenskin managed to do so. The Lammasu was mightily angered and set out to find the trickster.

The cunning Goblin rolled in Troll dung to cover his smell and hid himself inside a den of hibernating Stone Trolls, behind a mother and her sleeping Stone Troll cubs. When the Lammasu tracked the Goblin to the cave, the Stone Trolls awoke from their slumber.

"Stand aside, I have been insulted by that Goblin over there. He will not elude my wrath any longer," growled the Lammasu, and pointed to the filthy Goblin.

The Stone Troll mother sniffed on the Goblin, but he smelled only of Stone Troll. Thus she raised herself high and roared to the Lammasu: "Begone intruder! I will rip your throat if you touch my cubs!"

"You have been tricked by his smell!" said the Lammasu.

"My nose cannot be tricked," replied the Stone Troll mother.

"No matter, then I will simply kill you all!" roared the Lammasu and charged into the cave. The Lammasu tore the Stone Troll family limb from limb before slaying the cornered Goblin. This is the fate of those who would trick those stronger than themselves without a safe enough retreat from the vengeance of the deceived.

- The Goblin and the Lammasu, by Daemonsmith Uhr-Kulmbizharr the Blind, the renowned Chaos Dwarf author of fable stories during the foundation of Zharr-Naggrund*

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVI - Deadline 19th of January ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 04:56 PM by Admiral.

01-12-2015 07:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrAdmiral 01-12-2015

Haha, it's worth a try, at least. Happy

I'm not comfortable with fable writing. Indeed, many fables seem dull or plain by their shallow narrative to get a simple point across. Just look at this fox-in-a-well one by Aesop. It doesn't strike a chord with me or seem plausible, but it has not been without some popularity throughout the centuries.

Still, I'll experiment a bit with this genre since it's a short and quick one which can be written rapidly in study pauses. Thanks for your honest opinion! It's appreciated, though I don't think the story is that bad, as fables go. Wink

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 07:59 AM by Admiral.

01-12-2015 07:48 AM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 51
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrDînadan 01-12-2015

I'm going to take the opposing stance and say I liked it.  Yes it is implausible, but it's not supposed to be a litteral tale, it's more the sort of simplified story told to young children to teach them morals and I think it serves that purpose.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

01-12-2015 10:04 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 264

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrThe_Penguin 01-12-2015

Dînadan Wrote:
it's more the sort of simplified story told to young children to teach them morals and I think it serves that purpose.

Quite true. You can't expect a hobgoblin to understand a more complicated story, can you? ) Evil idea

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) Takes Hat off

"But we, your brethren, scorned the Ancestor gods, and mocked your foolish rune rituals, and preferred instead our bull god Hashut. Who can blame us if it were you and your gods who left us?"

Golden Sands Desert Dwarfs
01-12-2015 10:12 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Slaves: 601
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrFuggit Khan 01-12-2015

I like this one, the added context of "Interestingly, this is one of the few stories which Chaos Dwarfs regularly share with their Hobgoblin underlings" is genius.
I can actually imagine this to be more of a Hobgoblin story than a Dawi Zharr one...a proverb of "knowing your place within the pecking order"

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
01-12-2015 02:58 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Slaves: 1312
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-Kulmbizharrcornixt 01-12-2015

The lammasu getting tricked and then taking so long to realise he has been tricked is the most implausible part. Maybe the fox should use another fox hidden under the water to plant the idea first. Then the lammasu takes only a few moments to work it out, meaning that the fox (or foxes) has to flee almost immediately.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
01-12-2015 05:14 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Thanks, folks! Cheers!

@cornixt: Very good idea, but does it work better now when the time frame has been cut down? It's best to keep fables short, that's part of the challenge.

01-12-2015 05:34 PM
Geist
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 375

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrGeist 01-12-2015

A lammasu being tricked by a fox to me is very possible why?  Simple it is a beast shackled to the will of another, even the most clever of mounts is still just a mount.

01-12-2015 06:38 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

That's certainly a point.

A friend of mine thought it would be more Warhammer-appropriate to have a cunning Goblin hiding with Trolls, instead of a fox and bears. What do you say?

This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 06:57 PM by Admiral.

01-12-2015 06:57 PM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrDînadan 01-12-2015

Admiral Wrote:
That's certainly a point.

A friend of mine thought it would be more Warhammer-appropriate to have a cunning Goblin hiding with Trolls, instead of a fox and bears. What do you say?

Agreed, having Krom (or is it Krog?) the goblin instead of a fox might work better than a fox, but on the flip side I can see Tzeentch manifesting as a fox to mind screw someone, but not as a goblin :p

Ultimately, goblins and trolls might be best as they are probably going to be a lot more familiar to Chaos Dwarfs than foxes would be.  A good analogy is probably that in European folk tales, foxes are the go to animal for trickster characters/spirits, but in indigenous North American folk tales it's the coyote.

01-12-2015 07:39 PM
Parish
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 70

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrParish 01-13-2015

I really liked it but there was no moral at the end so quite disturbing actually ^^

Well the moral is "Kids, yes be cocky, and if somoene weaker than you try to fool you, crush him"

The end Big Grin

Still I liked it Wink

01-13-2015 07:04 PM
Dînadan

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrDînadan 01-13-2015

Parish Wrote:
I really liked it but there was no moral at the end so quite disturbing actually ^^

Well the moral is "Kids, yes be cocky, and if somoene weaker than you try to fool you, crush him"

The end Big Grin

Still I liked it Wink

Actually the moral is clearly spelled out at the end - if you're going to deceive someone stronger than you, make sure you've made adequate plans to avoid their retribution.

01-13-2015 07:27 PM
Parish
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrParish 01-14-2015

I guess you might be right and I am not an expert of fable.

But still usually,( and I'm not an expert), but fable are written in such a way that it is aimed at entertaining kids while providing a intelectual message (somehow).

I only know fables where the "heroe" has good and pure traits like being wise, lenient, and making sure that justice will always prevail.

Here the winner of the story is dark, pretentious and do not bear those "traditional" features.

It could have gone well if it was the almighty Lammasu and the filthy Hyena for instance ! Trying to trick him and being punished for lying and fooling people.

Anyway this fable is for fun so I guess I should not think that much ^^.
I just wanted to contribute and give my opinion about the subject :p

01-14-2015 03:18 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrAdmiral 01-14-2015

I'll probably change this into Goblins and Trolls instead of animals, but I quite liked the animal theme since it's a fable classic.

@Parish: Thanks! I do want people to think when they read these stories.

As for the moral, please see the rest of the CD culture project, and these pieces in particular: The Six Cruelty Reflections and the Seven Laws.

As you will see in there, we're trying to get to grips with what makes Chaos Dwarfs tick. One driving theme of all the CD culture stuff is their morals. They are very foreign to our own, and are a twisted, Chaotic version of ancient Pagan morals which did not orbit around altruistic behaviour (although it was part of them) and certainly did not shy from praising the conqueror, ruthless and cruel in his victory.

All the fables come with explicit morals at the end. Some might be recognizable to us, but others draw the lines at entirely different places.

As such, it's a good sign to see how Chaos Dwarf morals (as evident in stories like this) appears dark and disturbing. That's a health sign to react that way, by the by. Wink

This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 03:30 PM by Admiral.

01-14-2015 03:28 PM
Parish
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrParish 01-14-2015

You are definitely right, after sending my message I was like,  hey the audience of such a story are chaos dwarves so it should make sens ^^

Keep up the good work, it's a pleasure to read your stories Happy

01-14-2015 04:05 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrAdmiral 01-14-2015

Thanks! Cheers!

01-14-2015 04:08 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-KulmbizharrAdmiral 05-09-2015

First post updated with a slimmed-down and modified version.

Original:

The Fox and the Lammasu, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr

Once upon a time there was a crafty fox so cunning he could deceive any creature, fool anyone and trick everyone in the whole world. One day, the fox came upon a Lammasu who claimed himself to be craftier than any god or mortal being, yes he could outsmart all of creation and cheat death itself should he wish to do so.

The fox was intrigued and decided to challenge the wits of the Lammasu.

"Come here, look into this magical pond. In the water, there is another Lammasu like you. He is so cunning he will mimic your every move to make you believe he is you. If you truly are the cleverest creature alive, why don't you trick him into leaving his pond without moving an inch yourself?" said the fox.

The Lammasu did so, and thus he sat and stared at his own reflection. His lips and tounge moved as he tried to outwit his own mirror image, yet it was to no avail. Soon, the Lammasu realized he had been crossed by the fox. The Lammasu was angered and set out to find the trickster.

The cunning fox rolled in bear dung to cover his smell and hid himself inside a den of hibernating cave bears, behind a mother and her sleeping cave bear cubs. When the Lammasu tracked the fox to the cave, the cave bears awoke from their winter slumber.

"Stand aside, I have been insulted by that fox over there. He will not elude my wrath any longer," growled the Lammasu, and pointed to the filthy fox.

The cave bear mother sniffed on the fox, but he smelled only of cave bear. Thus she raised herself high and roared to the Lammasu: "Begone intruder! I will rip your throat if you touch my cubs!"

"You have been tricked by his smell!" said the Lammasu.

"My nose cannot be tricked," replied the cave bear mother.

"No matter, then I will simply kill you all!" roared the Lammasu and charged into the cave. The Lammasu tore the cave bear family limb from limb before slaying the cornered fox. This is the fate of those who would trick those stronger than themselves without a safe enough retreat from the vengeance of the deceived.

- The Fox and the Lammasu, by Daemonsmith Uhr-Kulmbizharr the Blind, the renowned Chaos Dwarf author of fable stories during the foundation of Zharr-Naggrund*

05-09-2015 04:55 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites