Post Reply  Post Thread 
The Hobgoblin and the Hellsmith, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr
Author MessageThe Hobgoblin and the Hellsmith, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 96
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
The Hobgoblin and the Hellsmith, by Uhr-KulmbizharrAdmiral 01-14-2015

The Hobgoblin and the Hellsmith, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr

Once upon a time, there was an industrious Hellsmith who trekked the northern lands and traded armour and artefacts for slaves and secrets from the Fimir. One day, he and his retinue were overcome in a nightly raid by barbarian Manlings. The Hellsmith and his followers were bound, and atop a rock, the Humans began to sacrifice them with flint and bone weapons. One by one the captives were slaughtered to summon a dark demigod, until only the Hellsmith and a Hobgoblin remained.

"You will be his earthly feast. For he will come forth soon. My tribe will conclude the ritual from a safe distance and watch the divinity devour you alive," declared the Human Sorceror.

The Manlings departed, and left the Hellsmith and the Hobgoblin amidst a field of corpses.

"Can I trust you with my life if it will save yours?" asked the Hellsmith.

"Yes, you can," promised the Hobgoblin.

"Good. I can cut short the summoning, but for that I need my hands free. Quick! There is a hidden knife under my beard. Cut my ropes!" said the Hellsmith.

Awkwardly, the Hobgoblin reached the hidden knife and drew it. But the Hobgoblin stabbed the Hellsmith instead of freeing him.

"Why did you do that? Now we'll both die!" gasped the dying Hellsmith.

"Because it lies in my nature to stab," said the Hobgoblin, before they were both devoured alive by the dark demigod. For such is the fate of those who would fool themselves by trusting others, and who cannot see things for what they are.

- The Hobgoblin and the Hellsmith, by Daemonsmith Uhr-Kulmbizharr the Blind, the renowned Chaos Dwarf author of fable stories during the foundation of Zharr-Naggrund*

* Note the wealth of ancient Fimir and the primitive ancestors of the Human Marauder tribes of the current age. Chaos Dwarf cultural memory stretches back decidedly further than that of any living Human nation. Also, note that the promotion of Hobgoblins to an elite slave caste within the Chaos Dwarf empire dates back only to the Black Orc Rebellion, many centuries after Uhr-Kulmbizharr's time. Before that, Hobgoblins were enslaved just as any Dark Lands Greenskins were, yet their extreme treacherousness was infamous already.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
01-14-2015 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 51
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Hobgoblin and the Hellsmith, by Uhr-KulmbizharrDînadan 01-14-2015

Nice take on the Scorpion and the Fox/Frog/etc fable Happy

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

01-14-2015 12:10 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 96
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Hobgoblin and the Hellsmith, by Uhr-KulmbizharrAdmiral 01-14-2015

@Herby: Thanks! I think the fluctuating quality comes down to three things: The odd, simplistic and often implausible style of the fable genre (that I try to mimic somewhat to "ground" it in something people can recognize). My unease at such a plain and simple genre, since I'm more of a straightforward story, legend and facts writer. And personal taste. Not everything can suit everyone, and this is particularly true for fables, not least if the author of them is not on his home turf. I wouldn't claim these can stand up to the myths etc, but at least they're quick and quite fun to write since they pose an unfamiliar challenge to tackle.

As for a medal, it would be nice, but isn't necessary. Perhaps further down the road for one of the more "open" themes, but probably not this year. Amassing a collection of story stuff that sooner or later will get compiled into a tome, get some nifty layout and even the odd illustration so that people can download and print it, is more than enough. I'm very happy so long as there are people who read the stories and like what they read. As such, I'm more than content to step aside for the contests and let others reap the prizes and glory, but I can promise to give my subsequent filing for more or less every future Scribe's Contest, if someone reminds me about it. Wink

@Dînadan: Haha, thanks! Yes, it was that transparent, wasn't it? Big Grin

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 01:02 PM by Admiral.

01-14-2015 12:57 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites