Author Message(07/05/2015) Hunter's Big Hats - Blood Bowl
Hunter
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 41

(07/05/2015) Hunter's Big Hats - Blood BowlHunter 02-13-2015

Hi everyone, I'm Tommy.

I'm currently painting up a Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team, The Short & Curlies. Big Grin
As well as the official models, the team includes a converted Warhammer Quest minotaur, a converted WHFB bull centaur and a Chaos Dwarf holding a blunderbuss with a ball wedged in the barrel, representing star player Zzharg Madeye.
I'll post them all on here as the painting progresses.

Once my Blood Bowl team's finished, I'm working on a collection of all the classic big hat WHFB Chaos Dwarfs. I'll post them up here as well.

So, without further ado:

2017 Image Salvage

This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 12:28 PM by Admiral.

02-13-2015 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hunter
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Hunter's Big HatsHunter 02-13-2015

02-13-2015 07:49 PM
Loidrial
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 164
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Hunter's Big HatsLoidrial 02-13-2015

Strange minotaur, never saw.
In case, just because i fell in love with him time ago:
http://www.comixininos.com/blood-bowl-te...ordan.html

Nice painting job, like that purple n gold!

02-13-2015 07:54 PM
MadHatter
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 237
Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Hunter's Big HatsMadHatter 02-13-2015

Looks real good! I love the old Zharr-Naggrund Ziggurats models, I use a converted Hthark for my Taur'ruk Happy

Great paintjob man!

Got any games in with them yet?

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!
02-13-2015 08:03 PM
Hunter
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Hunter's Big HatsHunter 02-13-2015

Thanks for the feedback guys. Happy

Loidrial: that minotaur model looks awesome! I really like that he resembles the lammasu. I haven't actually had the chance to use the minotaur yet and the mini I have was very easy to convert! If I find a place for him on my roster, I might have to upgrade to that sculpt!

MadHatter: I've had a couple of one-off games with them, as I normally play Orcs. I started a new league a couple of weeks ago though and this time I'm using these guys. The next league meet-up is in three weeks and I want to get the whole team painted beforehand. I lost my first game 1-2 against a Human team. I'm hoping the dice gods smile more favourably on a fully painted team!

02-13-2015 08:24 PM
gIL^
Playing Age of Sigmar

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 224

RE: Hunter's Big HatsgIL^ 02-13-2015

Minotaur is the old warhammer quest one.

Going good keep it up.

02-13-2015 08:30 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 831
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Hunter's Big HatsBloodbeard 02-14-2015

The bloodbowl CDs are so brutal, really nice job you've done on them. The CD are one of the best teams in bloodbowl, can fulfill so many roles on the matt. Here's a link to a really good tactics article: BB CD Playbook

I always find room for a minotuar on the team - that ST6 horn blitz is great to have. I also make sure to get a hobgoblin with both the foul skills - to take out the opponnents nasty players when they are down.

The beauty of the CD team is that they can perform all manner of different play styles and almost all skill rolls are perfect for the BCs. Make 1 a blitzer with strip ball, break tackle and the other a ball player / runner.

My only suggestions would be to add white strips to the players bases. I gives that extra football feel.

02-14-2015 12:01 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 36

RE: Hunter's Big HatsBen Saunders 02-14-2015

Never really been a fan of that WHQ Minotaur, but then the current plastics aren't great either - it looks surprisingly good here.

I've long wanted to play a CD BB team but sadly hardly get the chance to play the game at all.

02-14-2015 08:18 AM
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 237
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: Hunter's Big Hatstorn 02-14-2015

great start. Im not sure about a minotaur in a CD team he seems to be a risk. Your opponent will look to take out your bullcentaurs if he can, if he cant he will take out your hobgoblins and then you will have a hard time moving the ball. No minotaur means more hobbos and to be fair in a starting lineup dwarf blockers are pretty decent with block tackle even against str4 or big guys who wont have block/dodge.

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
02-14-2015 09:58 AM
Hunter
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Hunter's Big HatsHunter 02-22-2015

Thanks for the excellent feedback guys and Bloodbeard: that playbook is really handy, thank you!

I'm finding the CDs require a little more finesse than my Orc team. I was using the bull centaurs as scorers, but given their low agility, I think I'll focus on using the HGs for that and keeping the centaurs as long-range guided missiles for potential blitzes. I'll probably wait until I have a bit more practice with the team before introducing the minotaur. Can't wait to get him on the field though.

The next league day is in two weeks. The hobgoblins as you can see aren't finished yet, but I hope to have them completely done in the next few days. All I have to do then is paint the two bull centaurs and I'll have my roster fully painted. I have another four hobgoblins, a CD blocker and Zzharg Madeye to paint after that!

I've also made re-roll, turn and score counters.

02-22-2015 08:41 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1407
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Hunter's Big HatsAbecedar 02-22-2015

they are looking quite nice.
And good luck with your games

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
02-22-2015 10:52 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Slaves: 1309
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Hunter's Big Hatstjub 02-23-2015

Never played CDs in BB, so can't comment on the use of BCs. But its a good looking team!

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

02-23-2015 02:41 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 528
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Hunter's Big HatsAdmiral 02-23-2015

Good-looking team, not least that severed Orc head marker. Big Grin

Best of luck! If the computer game is anything to go by (haven't played the tabletop version yet), Minotaurs are very tricky and should preferrably be allowed to fight late in the round when other players have already moved and fought. In a league, you want to level up all players to have Block as fast as possible, including Hobgobbos and not least Bull Centaurs. Minotaurs cannot have Block, so to use them is always to risk a Turnover. Also, they often seems to get confused and do nothing... Best to keep them around in a support role, letting your CD Blockers do the actual striking!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
02-23-2015 03:05 AM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Slaves: 1309
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Hunter's Big Hatstjub 02-23-2015

Admiral Wrote:
Good-looking team, not least that severed Orc head marker. Big Grin

Best of luck! If the computer game is anything to go by (haven't played the tabletop version yet), Minotaurs are very tricky and should preferrably be allowed to fight late in the round when other players have already moved and fought. In a league, you want to level up all players to have Block as fast as possible, including Hobgobbos and not least Bull Centaurs. Minotaurs cannot have Block, so to use them is always to risk a Turnover. Also, they often seems to get confused and do nothing... Best to keep them around in a support role, letting your CD Blockers do the actual striking!

IMO Big Guys need a double skill in the first three skills or its a cut and re-buy. Block and Guard are great beginner skills, but you should consider wrestle on a few hobgoblins since its a great skill open a path and might even discourage slow moving bash teams so hit you. A double on a CD would preferably be Claw depending on the meta.
Also, Juggernaught on the Minotaur is a poor mans Block, since he will take a lot of Blitzes anyway being Wild Animal.

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 04:13 AM by tjub.

02-23-2015 03:12 AM
Hunter
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: (09/03/2015) Hunter's Big HatsHunter 03-08-2015

Got in my second game today. Lost 2-1 to Skaven. I scored first early in the game, taking advantage of a gap in my opponent's defence. After that I had some bloody god-awful dice rolls. Simply couldn't get any pesky rats off the table (all pushbacks or knockdowns, but no serious damage). They ran rings around me and my opponent made a point of swarming my bull centaurs, stopping me from getting much use out of them. The sly S.O.B. kept fouling and stunning my BCs whenever they were knocked down. Just as well the git's a friend of mine! Credit where it's due though, his board positioning was pretty much spot-on throughout the game.
A couple of times I almost scored, but either the dice weren't in my favour or my placement was lousy. I almost equalised near the end of the game (and finally managed to injure a few rats!), but I'd run out of re-rolls and fumbled the ball at the end. The dice gods were clearly looking down on me unfavourably for failing to finish painting my bull centaurs! Didn't have time to stay for another game, so I'll have to try and arrange a few more outside the official league days.
Tl;dr: I need a lot more practice!

This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 08:12 PM by Hunter.

03-08-2015 08:08 PM
Hunter
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Hunter's Big HatsHunter 05-07-2015

Sorry there haven't been any updates for a while. The last league day was rather inconveniently on Easter Sunday, so I skipped Blood Bowl for some family time instead.

We had another league day on Sunday 3rd May and I played against another Human team. My opponent, Douglas, is new to the league but a seasoned Blood Bowl player. His team were modelled on Bretonnians and named “Les Mancatchers” (Being Bretonnian, they were a bit camp).

He had a fairly standard human line-up, but with an ogre thrown in for good measure. My strategy was to simply avoid the ogre as much as possible, play defensively in the first half and try to injure some of his players. In the second half, I could hopefully outmanoeuvre his diminished squad and score at least once. I played my usual 5 dwarf blockers, 5 hobgoblin linemen (one in reserve) and 2 bull centaurs (one of which had Break Tackle).

First half:
Douglas rolled highest and decided that I should kick and he should receive.
Douglas' ogre failed its Really Stupid roll on his first turn, allowing my CD blockers to be a bit more aggressive, but all I managed were pushbacks.
On turn 4 one of my hobgoblins blocked and injured a Human lineman, causing him to miss the next match (he'll probably just be replaced). On my next turn another hobbo fumbled a dodge. I re-rolled and buggered it up again. The hobbo knocked himself out. D'oh.
Turn 8 and Douglas was able to easily outmaneuver me and score a touchdown. My bull centaurs were swarmed, my hobbos were all on their asses and my CD blockers simply weren't fast enough to catch his blitzers. On my turn 8 one of my CD blockers was sent off for fouling, without even injuring the other player.
Most of his players were still on the field. So much for the dice gods looking favourably upon painted teams!

Second half:
This half was more of a grind than the first, as we'd adapted to each other's playstyles and successfully countered each other's moves. I built a fairly solid cage, but he was excellent at dodging round me and exploiting gaps to knock my hobbos down. Douglas' ogre failed it's Really Stupid roll for the second time in the game, freeing up some tackle zones, but I failed an early dodge roll my following turn, losing any initiative I'd gained. Another of my hobgoblins was pushed into the crowd and KO'd. I came close to equalising towards the end of the second half, but his defence was solid. I tried a very risky pass to one of my bull centaurs, but he fumbled it and with no re-rolls left Douglas won the game 1-0.

I felt I played better than in previous matches, but I really struggled to keep up with the more nimble humans. I think 5 CD blockers may be too much, as I'm finding MA 4 and AG 2 hugely frustrating. I may have to replace one or two of them with more hobgoblins. It's my third consecutive loss, so I definitely need to switch up my game plan! My hobgoblin #8 was MVP and secured enough SPP to gain a new skill. I rolled double 6s and chose Guard, as I still sometimes struggle getting my head around tackle zones!

I'm now kicking myself for forgetting to take photos of the match, as his team was fully painted like my own and looked very nice.

05-07-2015 05:53 PM
gIL^
Playing Age of Sigmar

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 224

RE: (07/05/2015) Hunter's Big Hats - Blood BowlgIL^ 05-07-2015

i like the almost classic look with a dab of newschool shading.

05-07-2015 09:51 PM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 472
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: (07/05/2015) Hunter's Big Hats - Blood BowlFuggit Khan 05-08-2015

gIL^ Wrote:
i like the almost classic look with a dab of newschool shading.

Yeah, I've never played Blood Bowl, but these miniatures are so nice that it tempts me to give it a go. They really are painted quite nice, the shading effects on the purple is beautiful Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
05-08-2015 11:43 AM
Miasma
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 152
Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: (07/05/2015) Hunter's Big Hats - Blood BowlMiasma 05-08-2015

Hi Tommy, really nicely painted miniatures you have and good to see someone else how is currently in a league. I'm joining a league in the coming weeks and will most likely use my Norse unless my CD alternates arrive in time.

5th Edition Chaos Dwarf Army Log
Eeeew Elves
05-08-2015 12:15 PM
Hunter
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: (07/05/2015) Hunter's Big Hats - Blood BowlHunter 05-08-2015

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

I had to paint the team as quickly as possible, as I really don't have much time for painting these days. It's nothing fancy: apply basecoat and add a couple of layers of highlights, maybe an ink wash or two. I don't have the time or the patience for anything fancier than that! I just love the sculpts though. They're a dream to paint.

Miasma: Although it's my first proper league and I'm consistently getting hammered, I'm having a blast playing Chaos Dwarfs. I definitely feel they require a bit more finesse than my usual Orcs, but I'm enjoying the steep learning curve. One guy in my league is playing Norse, but I've not played him yet. I think there's a good chance he'd outblock my blockers!

05-08-2015 06:31 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Blood Bowl ala tjub tjub 39 32,391 12-29-2011 02:27 AM
Last Post: vulcanologist
  Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (new Blocker 28 Jul) axiom 20 10,144 07-28-2011 08:30 AM
Last Post: axiom
  [Blood Bowl] Zharr-Naggrund Juggernauts Red Skullz 158 57,091 05-24-2010 01:59 PM
Last Post: Red Skullz

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites