Poll: Which head option (see post 3 of thread)?
This poll is closed.
Old head, hunchback-style 66.67% 4 66.67%
Old head, on shoulders 0% 0 0%
New WoC head on shoulders 16.67% 1 16.67%
Dwarf head 16.67% 1 16.67%
Total 6 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Thread 
Ben's BB Blog (Updated 17/03/2015)
Author MessageBen's BB Blog (Updated 17/03/2015)
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 36

Ben's BB Blog (Updated 17/03/2015)Ben Saunders 03-12-2015

Hello everyone. I've been a part-time lurker around this forum for years, but never had much of my own to show off because I don't have a CD army of my own. I used to have the WD army book back in 4th/5th edition WFB, but even then I'm not sure I ever actually played a game as CDs. I'm here mostly just because I appreciate seeing - and occasionally commenting on - the work of others.

However, I recently decided to take the plunge and convert some Chaos Dwarfs for use in Blood Bowl. Having fairly recently moved to a new city, I just managed to find a small group of BB players and have joined a league with my recently created Dark Elf team, but it's renewed my hankering for making teams (I like small conversion projects, because I rarely have the patience for an army!)

I have a bunch of the old 'hunchback' Warriors of Chaos lying around - I use these (converted) for my WoC army, but I must have more than I'll ever need, so I'd been trying to think of a use for some of the spares. I'd already converted a few for BB, but I don't like the Beastmen or Rotters needed to fill a Chaos/Nurgle team, so never got any further. But then it hit me - I can make Chaos Dwarfs using the 'sawn-off Chaos Warrior' approach.

I've seen this done before, but I scoured CDO for inspiration and am particularly indebted to Bloodbeard (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid228122) and Thommy H (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid164789). I can't promise that mine will be in the same league, but I thought I'd document my efforts. The blog will, hopefully, help to keep me motivated and give me a chance to get feedback - I already have one question, will I'll get to shortly (second post).

First, however, I gather it's bad practice to begin a blog with a wall of intro text and no pictures so, without further ado, here's the start that I've made:

This is a cut-down Warrior next to an old BB Dwarf for scale purposes. The arms are just blu-tacked on for now, because I still need to decide what to do about the head...

This post was last modified: 03-17-2015 07:17 PM by Ben Saunders.

03-12-2015 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Ben Saunders 03-12-2015

[Post reserved for future updates]

03-12-2015 06:39 PM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Ben Saunders 03-12-2015

I hope I'm not committing a faux pas by starting the blog off with three posts of my own. I don't intend to keep doing this, but I wanted to have the intro and housekeeping post separate from the first more substantive 'update'. (Can I update something I only started minutes ago?)

I'm happy enough, for now, with the shortened Warriors, but I'm undecided about what heads to use and how to place them. I have examples here, though they're only a rough indication because I've not trimmed the parts to fit and there's blu tac holding them in place.

First option, and most straightforward, would be to use the original heads as originally intended:

I'm not usually that keen on the hunchback look, but I think it suits for Blood Bowl. It's pretty good height-wise and, as I said, pretty straightforward.

Second option - the one I used with my converted WoC - is to use those old heads, but put them on top of the shoulders:

Since I don't think Chaos Dwarfs are particularly supposed to have heads sticking forward out of their chests, this makes some sense, but it doesn't seem to look as good. (I'll have to post pictures of my WoC later, because I think it does work there, just not at Dwarf-scale.)

Third option would be to use new WoC heads (which, again, I've done with most of my WoC):

Same comments apply really.

Fourth option is some Dwarf heads. I have some spares from the Longbeards/Hammerers box (only the spares, from a popular auction site), but I could use them like this:

I don't think 2 or 3 look very good, and they make the resulting figure too tall for my liking, so I suspect it's between option 1 and option 4. Opinions? (If I can figure out how, I'll create a poll, but comments very welcome.)

03-12-2015 06:52 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1361
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Grimstonefire 03-12-2015

I admire your enthusiasm for a project like this, but personally I'd have just started off with dwarf sized models and 'chaosified' them!

Having said that, as you already have the parts, I think the 4th is the best.

The scaling head to waist and waist to floor is good, but that's the problem as dwarf models are very rarely scaled to human ratios.

I think if on the 4th one you took out the neck and sliced the arms much closer to the body at the shoulders it would look much better. I'm just going to guess that imo you'd need to take about 1.5-2mm off on each side.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 07:01 PM by Grimstonefire.

03-12-2015 06:59 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loidrial
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 164
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Loidrial 03-13-2015

I always loved chaos war of 4th, they are so chunky and always gave me the felling of bit comical brawler dude.
with arms properly glued the model will look even less wide, turtle warrior 4th for me!

03-13-2015 02:26 AM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Ben Saunders 03-15-2015

Thanks for the input. The photos above are held together by blu tac, so that does bulk them out somewhat - the arms would be a bit closer once glued on. That said, it's a good point that I've shrunk the miniatures vertically, but hadn't done anything about their breadth. I tend to think of dwarfs as rather broad-shouldered anyway.

Afraid I've not made much progress, because I'm still torn between options 1 and 4. I do rather like the look of 1, but it just looks like a short Chaos Warrior - i.e. it doesn't look particularly dwarfy. Probably it's the lack of beard. Option 4 looks more dwarf-like, because of the beard - though it's not so obviously a Chaos Dwarf I admit.

If it makes any difference, I had been thinking that I might actually make a counts-as Dwarf team - i.e. make 12 or so of these and not have to bother with making Hobgoblins, Bull Centaurs, etc. That's probably easier, though then I can make those other options later and have both teams.

In the meantime, I said I'd post pictures at some point of my WoC. Sorry this is non-Chaos Dwarf related, but this is just to show that repositioning the heads on these full-height guys works (imho anyway)

03-15-2015 06:54 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Bloodbeard 03-15-2015

Hello Ben Saunders. Finnaly found time for a close read after scimming the thread a couple times.

Search my blog for the below photo, only to read you'vve already referenced me. Thanks a million!  .

Opyion 1 will work with and without a beard. I don't like number two and four. Four is too vanilla and good looking.

Three can work, and I like it the most - just need a beard. CDs (the old ones) are pretty darn high.

My own steam guard is put on hold because I never use GW wielding Infernal Guard anyway.

Now: Thanks for that last picture. Coolest looking Warriors in a long time! I hate the current monoposers and the old hunchbacks wasn't much better.

Yours are brutal! And those lances are great. They look as good as the metal Chosen and they are some of my favourite miniatures.

I've been talking myself out of starting a nurgle army time and time again. Don't have the time and already have 3000 more CD pfojects in sorted bits, 2400 Wood elves and 1500 Empire.

But this is the key to great looking modern and cheap warriors. I have 40 of the old hunchbacks (only need 16 for my CD).

So thanks for the inspiration Ben! Nurgle Army initiated (... and on hold!).

03-15-2015 01:22 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1665
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Abecedar 03-15-2015

Option one seems to look the best and easiest to me. For option 4, If you sunk the head down into the chest as if the armour was bulked up higher then the head may look better but then you'd have to adjust the arm height. so the scale of body to arms would be wrong .. and I think I'll shut up now.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 03-15-2015 11:33 PM by Abecedar.

03-15-2015 11:33 PM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Ben Saunders 03-17-2015

I'm afraid there's not been much progress to show, partly because I'm still being indecisive, but mostly because our boiler hasn't been working and so it's been a bit cold for my usual hobbying in the evenings. Thanks, however, for all the input.

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Opyion 1 will work with and without a beard. I don't like number two and four. Four is too vanilla and good looking.

Three can work, and I like it the most - just need a beard. CDs (the old ones) are pretty darn high.

I suppose it's not so surprising, since 3 is effectively your approach to converting vanilla dwarfs into CDs. I assume you're the one who voted for 3, but - not that the poll is binding - I'll take into account that you also think option 1 works, since that seems to be the clear leader at present.

Bloodbeard Wrote:
Now: Thanks for that last picture. Coolest looking Warriors in a long time! I hate the current monoposers and the old hunchbacks wasn't much better.

But this is the key to great looking modern and cheap warriors. I have 40 of the old hunchbacks (only need 16 for my CD).

So thanks for the inspiration Ben! Nurgle Army initiated (... and on hold!).

I'm glad I can inspire you too, though perhaps I should apologise for leading you to start another army... Thanks, though, for the compliments - and the slaves.

Abecedar Wrote:
Option one seems to look the best and easiest to me. For option 4, If you sunk the head down into the chest as if the armour was bulked up higher then the head may look better but then you'd have to adjust the arm height.

I'm not entirely sure I follow the suggestion. I think option 4 - whatever else you may think of it - has the most natural head position as it is, so I don't see any need to sink the head into the chest. As you say, I'd then have to rearrange other parts.

Herby Wrote:
Neither. They all look butt ugly. You said it yourself 'hunchback' Warriors of Chaos.

Hmm, I didn't put a 'none of them' option in the poll, but thanks for the feedback.
I don't much like the hunchback look myself normally - hence converting all those Chaos Warriors - but somehow it seems to fit a Blood Bowl figure. Anyway, three of the four options involve repositioning the head to remove the hunchback. Surprisingly, it's the hunchback option that's actually proving most popular in the poll at present - though of course you're welcome to your opinion.

03-17-2015 02:01 PM
Ben Saunders
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Ben's BB Blog (Started 12/03/2015)Ben Saunders 03-17-2015

(Still no heating. Our landlord tried to replace the pump this evening, but only succeeded in creating a massive water leak, running from the upstairs airing cupboard through the floor/walls into the room below, that we spent most of the evening mopping up...)

Here's what I have managed over the last few days though. First, I went with the 'option 4' route on the original test model. Here's what he looks like without the blu tac:

I do quite like this. He's recognisably a dwarf, but not particularly chaotic. I may need to change the beard and/or alter the face (nose and tusks), though these may be beyond my skill.

I also assembled a second model and tried the 'option 1' (hunchback) look:

I think it's fair to say that, whatever you think of this option, it works less well with this head than the one in the earlier photos. This head has a rather long neck (sticking out directly forwards) and, after I removed the topknot, the top of his back is actually higher than the top of his head. I may remove the head and try something close to option 2 (or just swap it for a different head).

03-17-2015 07:14 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1665
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Ben's BB Blog (Updated 17/03/2015)Abecedar 03-17-2015

Abecedar Wrote:
Option one seems to look the best and easiest to me. For option 4, If you sunk the head down into the chest as if the armour was bulked up higher then the head may look better but then you'd have to adjust the arm height.

I'm not entirely sure I follow the suggestion. I think option 4 - whatever else you may think of it - has the most natural head position as it is, so I don't see any need to sink the head into the chest. As you say, I'd then have to rearrange other parts.
[/quote]

I thought his head looked too high was what I was trying to say.
As to alterations to his features, I guess you'll just have to give it a go.  Thats how we all start out.
and you never know some undiscovered talent may emerge.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
03-17-2015 08:25 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Ben's BB Blog (Updated 17/03/2015)Bloodbeard 03-18-2015

There's no doubt about the fact, the Mr. Hunchback has much more Bloodbowl Feel about him. Comical and a bit werid on the proportions. That's the feel of Bloodbowl.

03-18-2015 05:03 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dînadan's blog (updated 21/12/15) Dînadan 341 118,246 12-21-2015 07:57 PM
Last Post: Dînadan
  [5 April 2015] DarkApostle's army blog DarkApostle 25 6,415 04-06-2015 02:01 PM
Last Post: Fuggit Khan
  Aaroon's Tiny-Hat Blog of Shame [Updated 10-18-13 Paint Test 1.1] Aaroon42 28 14,531 10-19-2013 04:35 AM
Last Post: Bloodbeard
  Dark Fortress (Blog of Karring)-UPDATED 29/08/2012 Karring 20 11,613 08-29-2012 09:44 AM
Last Post: Karring
  Elrodogg's Big Hat Army Blog (updated 8.20.10) elrodogg 9 4,365 08-20-2010 06:46 PM
Last Post: tjub

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites