Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?
Author MessageWould you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Yodrin 03-30-2015

He will be a unit filler or prophet on my soon to buy carpetWink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

03-30-2015 01:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 625
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Admiral 03-30-2015

@Fuggit Khan: Noted! Thank you. Happy

@Yodrin: Wow, that must be a heavy duty flying carpet! Wink

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting Deadline 27th of February  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
03-30-2015 02:10 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Yodrin 03-31-2015

Admiral Wrote:
@Yodrin: Wow, that must be a heavy duty flying carpet! Wink

Yea, its my carpet for my living room Wink. I say go big or go home.. WinkWink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

03-31-2015 01:51 AM
Roark
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 19

RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Roark 03-31-2015

Oh hell yeah... I'll probably get two.

I think I'll put him on an obsidian peak.

"Raise the icon. Load the pyres. The Father will have the spoils today, that we may be blessed tomorrow." - Drughaz the Taker
03-31-2015 04:57 AM
Miasma
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 156
Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Miasma 04-30-2015

You know just when I am looking for a couple of Big Hats to use as Status I find this, I would definitely purchase a couple

5th Edition Chaos Dwarf Army Log
Eeeew Elves
04-30-2015 08:52 AM
Zanthrax
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 232
Artisan's Contest - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Zanthrax 04-30-2015

He looks great - well done on keeping the big hats alive no matter what the end times (bro) says (apologies to the black sun podcast)

My guide to alternative Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs 2017 edition: http://ironhaiden666.blogspot.com/2017/1...chaos.html
04-30-2015 09:05 AM
Geist
Bull Centaur Hero

Slaves: 375

RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Geist 04-30-2015

First off it is a very good piece of sculpting, the artist knows his or her way around green stuff to a level far above most here.  It's obvious in the attetion to detial.  Also I am sure getting the nose just right like that was a pain in the Watermellon! Such simple things like a large bulbous nose that fits right is very hard to do, and often appears clunky over sized or too sharp edged IE it's a simple thing that's actual really hard to do.

Secondly, it is far too large for 28mm models.  The pose of the arms is too stiff, also kinda of off the entire out spread arm look just isn't right.  If the status is coming to life it needs some type of motion showing that it's moving about from a long torpor.  Which I totally get is part of the idea with the hobgoblin in his grasp.  But then fails with the other arm all the way back out.

In short modeling wise a applepie ton of skill by a very talented person, but the pose needs help.

Price wise, would I buy one?  No.  Why?  I like the new CD sculpts more, ie I like the style better than the old ones.  Cost, the only method I have ever found that works is.
What is your time worth to you X hours invested in project / by two.
So for me for example if I did a paint job I would charge 10 an hour ( I am really cheap) times how ever many hours (one in this example) divide by two.  Giving $5 US. For a paint job of one model done to good table top.  But this is my method for paint and not his nor is it for crating a model.  So numbers should flex a lot.

Good luck with it and let's see some more dynamic poses.

This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 03:57 AM by Bloodbeard.

04-30-2015 02:53 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Admiral 05-01-2015

@Yodrin: Haha. Big Grin

@Roark & Miasma: Nice! Noted. Will keep you updated on progress, which is expected to happen now in May.

@Zanthrax: Thank you!

@Geist: Thanks! Haha, no, the nose was simple. Details and faces are pretty quick, fun and simple to sculpt, while things like pose, scale, proportions and symmetry are way off my radar. Maybe those can improve through practice, but don't expect miracles on that front in the short run. Happy

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting Deadline 27th of February  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 05:37 AM by Admiral.

05-01-2015 05:08 AM
Miasma
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Miasma 05-13-2015

Any news on the progress of these?

Eeeew Elves
05-13-2015 10:09 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Admiral 05-14-2015

Mouldmaking will happen by the end of this month, as things look now. I've got no idea what time frame we should expect it to take between mouldmaking and arrival of casts, but I believe a sound guess would be a matter of weeks.

Chaos Dwarf Writings:

This post was last modified: 05-14-2015 02:50 AM by Admiral.

05-14-2015 02:49 AM
Miasma
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Miasma 05-14-2015

Thanks for the update will put aside some fund so I don't waste them on other shiny things

Eeeew Elves
05-14-2015 04:15 AM
Roark
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 19

RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Roark 05-15-2015

Thanks Admineral!

"Raise the icon. Load the pyres. The Father will have the spoils today, that we may be blessed tomorrow." - Drughaz the Taker
05-15-2015 03:06 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Would you buy this Animated Dwarf Statue?Admiral 01-16-2016

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
01-16-2016 09:44 AM
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Animated Dwarf Statue of Ancient Times Released Admiral 13 7,152 06-28-2016 06:45 AM
Last Post: Admiral

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites