[03-29-17] Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of Madness
Author Message[03-29-17] Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of Madness
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 96

[03-29-17] Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessRanaxom 05-30-2015

Greetings everyone and anyone! Welcome to my up and coming army blog for my very own Lovecraftian Dawi'zharr! For those of you that have kept up with the recent pledge postings, I decided that such a pledge would be a perfect way for me to get my complacent self into motion and set out to work! While the fluff is finalized (for now) I shall be updating this with new information over the following days and giving you all a wide look at my thought processes and goals for the future.

Lets talk about the purpose of this blog, first of all. I am a very impulsive and indecisive person when it comes to my writings and creative work. I have been collecting specific models I want and modelling much more than painting and making larger point armies in fantasy. So, as a sort of reasoning with myself, I decided to make 2 of my fantasy armies be of a much larger caliber and quality than the others, those being Bretonnia and Chaos Dwarves. And while painting the Bretonnian models still scares me half to death (for "perfect" knights I am scared to show any problems in their paint schemes,) all of the creative work I can do with my Chaos Dwarves has only attracted me more and more to the idea. So, after some debate and help from forumers here I decided on a Lovecraftian based Chaos Dwarf army. That is where the name for my clan comes in;
Unbal Elgrak Braz. Using the Khazalid vocabulary on the Chaos Dwarf wiki, it roughly translates into "Breakers of the Weakened Mind." I figured something with insanity and madness would be perfect for this army theme. So be sure to expect an assortment of cool, if strange conversions and paint schemes coming soon!

This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 10:20 PM by Ranaxom.

05-30-2015 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessRanaxom 05-30-2015

This army blog is technically a little late in comparison to the army, as I already have a good few dwarves converted. Currently, over the past few months I have been converting dwarf warriors and quarrelers/thunderers into my very own infernal guard. (Pics shall be posted soon.) I began using a guide posted by Xander before I had actually discovered this forum, and then deviated when need be as the guide was designed for BFSP dwarves. Currently I have made 20 wielding fireglaives and 10 wielding blunderbuss, with one daemonsmith. These were finished in the modelling sense roughly three weeks ago, and are still awaiting the brush.

05-30-2015 04:57 PM
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

This is where the fluff of my army shall be put. I apologize for the complete emptiness here, I just want to organize it on a word document before posting it so it shall likely be up tonight or tomorrow.

In wretched depths of the howling wastes, south of daemon stump, the ragged remains of a once proud army marched in hasty retreat. It had been several days since their pursuers had broken away, but the humbled Sorcerer Prophet knew that to give in to temptation and stop would likely mean their undoing; after all there is no mercy to be shared in the wastes. In a matter of days his careful coup had fallen apart, years of planning had erupted into a failure that nearly cost everything. He, who was known as Kaulth, a well enough off Sorcerer Prophet who had been striving to secure a larger breadth of power, but was betrayed by a number of other leaders and driven to his current position. He with his sparse remaining dwarves had traveled south until coming across a suitable place to begin their return; a well-fortified mountainside, two mountains meeting together a fourth up their base.

Through a series of traps laid for greedy hobgoblin bandits they captured and stole enough slaves to begin their excavation and fortification. It began as a very ordinary task, breaking the slaves and building, digging, a twisted form of creating that ran deep in the blood of all Dawi Zhar. It was only when slaves began to disappear that those whose clan was long forgotten began to grow curious. It was only then that they themselves ventured deep into the mountains, finding a gift from Hashut, manifesting in the form of madness. It was in these depths, ruins of civilizations from beyond times annals that the clan was reborn in enraptured throes of the unknowable. Only a few of the original Dawi Zhar that ventured to these depths came back, either remaining behind as shattered minds and bodies, or being relinquished to tame some greater evil. Those that did survive however, became masters of the arcane technologies that had lied dormant in the mountain. Slaves were cast into the depths of the mountain as the remaining clan members began to build their fortress with this dark control, the effort of mind-bending beasts and their newfound mastery of maddening arcana aiding them in this now seemingly undemanding work. In the depths of these damned mountain’s meeting, they created a bulwark against the filth of the wastes, and began bolstering their forces to obtain further knowledge and power, by using the blessings that Hashut had granted them in their gravest hour for tests of faith and endurance they must have succeeded.

The fortress named “Bereft” is one avoided by nearby denizens of the wastes, as it is known for its stain upon those that near it when it appears. The fortress’ seeming disappearance from reality only spreads this rumor further, which works perfectly for those that inhabit it. It is rather one of the many safeguards incorporated through eldritch design, unknowable technology and blackest magic’s collision. Stories of pits of tar rearing to life, forms shifting and rippling like pitch black waves, eyes and appendages forming faster and collapsing back in upon themselves in a similar vain to a spawn of chaos. These are the work beasts of Unbal Elgrak Braz, only known as “Shoggoth” as told from ancient and terrible runes. These creatures are the beasts of burden used for all manual work in the place of slaves, where slaves have become a much more precious resource to feed these capable beasts. They range in different sizes but are commonly 15 ft. tall in their full height, and those stationed outside of the fortress mimic the pits of tar that are found occasionally in the wastes as another defense mechanism for the paranoid rulers of madness.
The fortress itself is a horrifying and confusing sight, entirely out of tune with the laws of our world. Stairways lead upward into seemingly endless loops and magical energy cracks in the air as each corner seems to hide a new horror, as well as a different path to explore and become lost in. Not all of this fortress is ever understood at any given point, even to the most venerable denizens. It was designed in the maddened spasms of those that were mentally enveloped by the madness that personified itself at the core of the mountain’s meeting. These figures are the only ones to truly understand, though in their madness it is impossible to garner any knowledge, at least, for any remotely sane individual.
Daemonsmith’s stoke fires with incantations older than the mountains themselves, stirring them into bizarrely colorful and horrifying forms. These cursed flames are what is used to forge all kinds of tools and weapons for the Unbal Elgrak Braz, thus imbuing some power and staining these metals with the colorful burns of the licking flames. Even further into the depths of the mountain, darker and more sinister beings lurk, beasts that have been tamed one at a time by the children of Hashut, slowly being discovered and used for their own sinister ends. These one by one, through one means or another, serve their masters to some extent, often tools of espionage and war. They have become to manifest slowly, and more and more reveal themselves with each passing year.

This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 03:17 PM by Ranaxom.

05-30-2015 04:58 PM
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

Okay! Sorry for the wait, but it was worth it! (I hope Tongue Wink) Currently I have thirty one chaos dwarves to my name, all modeled and aside from some minor clean up acts are ready to paint.

First up are my 20 Infernal Guard with Fire Glaives and full command. These are modeled off of both the dwarven warrior and quarreller/thunderer models. I used the Xander tutorial for scale armor and beards as the basis and as I got better at it deviated and experimented. The unit is armed with shoulder mounted shields (fair enough as they can't use them in combat) and hammerer heads so I could decide later on hats or helmets. As for the Fireglaives themselves I used the handgun model as the basis and used the great-axe head as the halberd head after trimming off the excess on either end. I plan to do more with the standard, perhaps fallen dwarve's beards woven into the standard but I am not entirely sure yet.

Next up are ten Infernal Guard with Blunderbuss and full command. These were modeled using the same guide and same shoulder bearing shield pattern for firing, though they would use theirs with their hand axes. Each blunderbuss is modeled from a barrel of an organ gun, making for a leadbelcher-esque look. These models also require some cleaning up as well as some filing off of dwarven runes on the blunderbuss themselves.

Finally we have the Daemonsmith, heavily converted off of a dwarven Runesmith. The head was used the dragon head bit from the dwarven hammerer set, and several other bits involved including some dwarven engineer bits, a high elven prince head, six axe heads and an axe handle for the flaming mace, and spikes cut from dwarven helms used as the tusks and horns. I would have taken higher quality pictures, but he was damaged in transportation and will be repaired and reshot for pictures.

*EDIT* Okay! I believe I figured out the size issues with the pictures, let me know if any of you are still having trouble and I will look further into it if need be.

This post was last modified: 03-29-2016 11:38 PM by Ranaxom.

05-30-2015 05:01 PM
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

This is where my current work and progress shall be posted! I shall edit this particular post frequently before transferring completed projects to the gallery and new WIP's here. Currently the conversions on hand are done but I shall be starting another this week and post the planned processes as I go.

Hey, my first update to this page! Currently I am in the process of designing the basic conversions for a deathshrieker rocket as well as a magma cannon. I am planning on using an empire Helstorm rocket battery as the deathshrieker base (and perhaps using the Helblaster volley gun barrels as more blunderbuss.) I will need to see how the size differences work, but I was considering using the 3 columns of the Helstorm as three different deathshriekers, although they may look a tad too small. And perhaps I would ornament the heads of the rockets with a bull design.

As for the magma cannon I am using the dwarven cannon as base making the shells included be sort of like "rounds" where the magma would be magically transported, and then reopened inside the cannon before it fired. These are just some of the thoughts for each swimming in my head currently, so if you guys have any questions or suggestions feel free!

3/29/2016
Okay! So my order finally came in here and I have been able to begin work to shave down and prepare models for the sculpting process. I am currently working with 10 Ironbreakers, and have just received another shipment of 15. These will serve as the sword and board units as they are a long time coming, and could work for either the core choice of melee options or the special variant. Either way these models are planned on having a great number of mutations ranging from spikes or growths to the uniform tentacle beards which will be present in the unit.

I found the cutting down of these models to be a tad overly destructive in areas. The beards were no big deal as they were simply the basis for the mutated beards. However, when carving out some of the detail on the armor, I found it far too easily damaged the small grooves within the plate which I thought fit these models nicely.

Since this process was destructive and would be fairly difficult on the fifteen prebuilt models I purchased, I will simply be building off of the prexisting pattern of the armor. Perhaps I can do this with a set of tentacles coming down the torso to each plate, or weapons hanging at their side.

I am currently sculpting the next stage of these models and will be posting pictures shortly!

This post was last modified: 03-29-2016 11:17 PM by Ranaxom.

05-30-2015 05:04 PM
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

Last but not least, here shall be my general ideas section. I shall post inspirations for color schemes, conversions, and anything else that comes to mind for this army. Sort of a focal point of creativity, here I shall be discussing what I envision for the army and some of the ways I plan on achieving this. Of course I shall be taking feedback and suggestions, and will update this post accordingly. Feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions! Criticism will always be appreciated!

Seeing as the blog is a little bit bare as I build it from the ground up, I figure I should give everyone something to actually see here. Currently I have a pretty good idea of a general color scheme that I would like to do, though achieving that will likely force me to better myself significantly as a painter. Its a generally dark scheme with the primary armor color being a shade of blue just lighter than black. As the shading picture shows it is the one that is just next to black, perhaps even a touch darker than that blue.    

I am unsure on an accent color for the armor, but when it comes to weapons I am set. I was considering a very specific design that is fluff specific for these. The color is that of unpolished lodestone, a sort of greyish brown that is reflective.    

However like scorch marks, glittering bits or reflections in that metal I would like the blueish/purple and pale yellow shades of this fire to be seen, representing weaponry forged in sorcerous and eldritch fires.    

While still considering some accent colors and deviations, this is the general color scheme for my army, and any methods of making this scheme come to life in the painting process would be greatly appreciated. That is all in the ideas department, but I shall certainly have plenty more as I am filling out the details of this blog!

This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 05:29 PM by Ranaxom.

05-30-2015 05:28 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1407
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessAbecedar 05-30-2015

For someone confessing a degree of madness you certainly are organised.
Or is organisation a sign of a diseased mind ....
Or ...

OK thinking too much.  Will look forward to seeing your endeavours as you reveal them

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-30-2015 11:07 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1363
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessGrimstonefire 05-31-2015

Hmm, given the models you're using as a base don't have big bits of armour, I think your colour scheme is going to be hard to work on the models themselves, but the shields would be a great place to bring in the yellow.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 05-31-2015 04:53 AM by Grimstonefire.

05-31-2015 04:53 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessRanaxom 05-31-2015

@Abecedar: Yes, perhaps there is a method to the madness... Or vice versa, honestly don't know. Tongue And thank you! I hope they live up to your standards!

@Grimstonefire: Ohh I think your absolutely right about the shields! The models themselves saw a lot of green stuff now that their up on the site so I think I will be able to work the color scheme out, but I will definitely have to test it more.

05-31-2015 06:56 PM
gIL^
Playing Age of Sigmar

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 224

RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessgIL^ 05-31-2015

Your pictures are amazingly small, Sadly i can't help you Sad

05-31-2015 10:04 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 499
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessFuggit Khan 06-01-2015

gIL^ Wrote:
Your pictures are amazingly small

That was my first thought as well, but then I clicked on the pics and it brings up a full size pic to admire.
Some very interesting conversions! I love seeing such a variety of bits being used...and using the organ gun as large blunderbuss barrels is pretty cool Happy

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-01-2015 12:22 PM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 514
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessDAGabriel 06-01-2015

Nice start, sent some slaves to help with getting along!

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
06-01-2015 03:13 PM
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessRanaxom 06-01-2015

@Fuggit Khan: Yeah, I was having some issues with the uploading process, before they would not be a larger size when clicked on so I had to tinker with them in paint to readjust sizes. The smaller base pictures with links to larger versions is just how my uploads seem to interact with the site. And thank you very much! I had split a dwarf battleline with my friend so I had an excess of dwarven bits, and the conversion process was really what had attracted me about this army so I was more than happy to use them. And thank you again! I really enjoyed using the organ gun barrels, it was just really difficult as half the organ gun I couldn't cut through, so I just used all the top bits of the organ gun barrels. But I do like how they turned out, especially since many of them have a raised barrel making them MUCH easier to rank and file.

@DAGabriel: Thank you very much! Your generosity is all the more reason for me to focus on my current work in process as well as uploading the fluff which is sadly taking a little longer than I thought.

06-01-2015 04:07 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessBloodbeard 06-02-2015

Very nice start to your armyblog Ranaxom. Very nice indeed.

But don't edit a post with your current WIPs. Let it flow and add more posts as you go. It's a fantastic hobby experience to look back through peoples blogs (and your own as well). I would suggest you instead add a table of contents right from the start.

I like the over-the-top crazy look of those miniatures. Do those blunderbusses really rank up? As you need a minimum of 20 dudes in the regiment for them to work properly I have a suggestion. Make 20 loader models as well. Having 20 of those crazy shoulder cannon dudes would look too much. So adding some loaders would make some space in the regiment, make it easier to rank up and save you some organ guns.

06-02-2015 02:26 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessRanaxom 06-02-2015

Thank you very much!! I have really enjoyed myself while creating the blog and hope that it leads me to get far more work done than I would otherwise. And I think your right, leaving as much of the work intact as I can seems like a perfect way to chronicle the process. So you think I should be creating new posts or just adding onto the old posts without editing the content I had put up? A table of contents also would be incredibly useful, but I don't really know how to make one outside of just listing out the following information.

Thank you again! I had a lot of fun making those crazy blunderbuss. They actually do rank up with very little trouble, just some specific placement due to the arms flaring out to the sides too much. All the back blunderbuss are raised above the heads of the front rank so that they can fit back to back without getting tangled, sort of like a kneeling line in a firing squad with the standing soldiers behind them. Ohhh, 20 loaders would be much less costly to make, and make perfect sense! I think that would balance out the squad a lot and make it fluctuate a little bit for a very nice looking squad! I can likely use some engineer bits to fix those up, and maybe give them less armor as another indicator of their role.

06-02-2015 06:41 PM
Loidrial
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 164
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessLoidrial 06-02-2015

Really nice! Finally the conversion i always wanted to see!

Pizza, Mandolino e Nani del Chaos
Off Topic Blog

06-02-2015 06:53 PM
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessRanaxom 06-04-2015

Thank you! I am very glad you liked them! Which are the conversions you were looking forward to specifically? Tongue

06-04-2015 03:58 AM
Loidrial
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 164
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessLoidrial 06-04-2015

Ranaxom Wrote:
Thank you! I am very glad you liked them! Which are the conversions you were looking forward to specifically? Tongue

The troops. I wanted to try something by myself few months ago (I have big hat army)
I wanted to use the body of black orcs, legs from chaos horses and the heads from dwarves hammerer for create my Bull Centaurs
Unfortunately the dwarf head is too small compared to the orc body so i was left with useless bits xD

Pizza, Mandolino e Nani del Chaos
Off Topic Blog

06-04-2015 08:34 AM
Ranaxom
Hobgoblin

RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessRanaxom 06-12-2015

@Loidrial: Ohhhh, okay! I'm glad you liked them!! I would have liked to see those if they had worked out. xD Its a shame, but I hope you did end up finding some use for the bits!

I'm terribly sorry for the halt in updates recently, life has caught up with me in a few ways, but now I am back in business and ready to add on to the blog! Now that I am back, I would like to get some of your opinions as to a direction for my army. I have much of it planned out, but one very particular and important question must be addressed; Hats or Helmets?

Currently, I have been using specifically the Hammerer heads from the dwarf line released by GW because I was not sure. Using these flat helmets I was not restricted to one or the other, as I could just make the helmets into larger and more decorated cylinders for hats or simply alter them (or even leave them) for helmets. I feel that I need to figure this question out at some point as a form of respect and detail to denote them as Chaos Dwarves, so do lend me your opinions! Tongue Wink

06-12-2015 03:25 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1407
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Unbal Elgrak Braz, The Beginnings of MadnessAbecedar 06-12-2015

I've always thought that those helms lent themselves toward being big-hats. I'd go with what you said about varying degrees of changes to them in details. I think that will work well.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-12-2015 07:18 PM
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [10-25-2007](minor edit)Chaos Dwarf Beginnings MrDw 17 6,532 10-26-2007 11:28 AM
Last Post: MrDw

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites