Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   8th Edition chaos dwarf battlereports [16/6/29 vs. O&G)]
Author Message8th Edition chaos dwarf battlereports [16/6/29 vs. O&G)]
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 366
Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               
RE: 8th Edition chaos dwarf battlereports [last battle: Bretonnians 2nd Oct]TheHoodedMan 10-04-2015

On Friday the 2nd October I played the last battle of our local league against the leading player, Martin, who plays Bretonnians.
Martin is a seasoned tournament veteran and also a very relaxed guy and we had a really nice evening (with good music choice Cheers!).

He played:
2 big lances knights of the realm
1 big lance errant knights
1 small lance errant knights
1 unit mounted yeomen
2 x 3 pegasus knights
1 lvl 4 lady (beast lore)
1 BSB
1 Hero on Pegasus
2 Lords (1 monster killer with the heroic killing blow and lance which rerolls to wound/ 1 with the Carcassone Sword and Gromril helm)

Myself played (no destroyer because of the killing blow):

27 IG, Great weapon, Full command, razor std
26 IG, GW, FC
2 Iron daemon, hellbound
1 Hellcannon
1 general lvl 4 metal, preservation, enchanted shield, scroll, Blood of Hashut
1 BSB, Armor of Bazherak, Dawnstone, Great Weapon
3 Khans on Wolf

In the end I was very satisfied with the list.

10-04-2015 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               
RE: 8th Edition chaos dwarf battlereports [last battle: Bretonnians 2nd Oct]TheHoodedMan 10-04-2015

Run of the battle:
He had a very mobile list with lots of riders and I know he plays offensively. I decided to make his moves so difficult as possible and brought not much easy points to the table (apart from the khans).

Deployment after vanguard moves.

The silly Bretonnians dismounted and prayed to the girl who lives in a pond.
The mighty forces of Hashut had the first turn.

The middle iron demon killed 4 of 5 yeomen, Gehennas dogs killed one Pegasus knight, the hellcannon hit accidentally the most left lance of Realm knights and killed 2. So far so good.

The Brets in their turn moved onward and had a bad magic phase, so nothing else happened:

You see the flying knights all on the left side. Red alert! The Arabians in the middle prox 6 errant knights. I supposed the main threat in the most left lance from my view and I was right

Turn 2

My general and BSB was in my left unit. I just moved forward and positioned the khans. The Iron demons had good shooting positions. The left one hit nothing, but the right one killed the pegasus hero in front of him. Hellcannon killed one knight of the middle lance (with lady, lord, BSCool, magic phase was good, but he used his scroll.

He tried several charges, but the middle unit failed with a triple 2 rolled and moved only 2" forward. Lots of close combat now. A second bad magic phase for the Knights.

The Pegasi had no contact with my IG.

Turn 3

My right IG unit charged the errant knights in contact with the right ID and they fled (choose not to pursue). The other IG unit killed the lonesome Yeomen on horse. Hellcannon killed 1 errant knight and lost a crewman.
Iron demon repositioned but no big effects.

Lots of charges. The pegasi and the lance with the killing blow lord charged my main unit. I could defend magic with a scroll and the Brets had only the +1 T/+1 S Spell on 3 pegasi through.
But the killing blow lord challenged and (mistake) I took it with my general, hoping on the blood of Hashut. I saved 2 killing blows, but rolled a 1 on the Blood of Hashut Sick. I lost a lot of IG through the +2 S of the lances, but was stubborn.
The big errant knight unit charged my smaller IG unit. Was not afraid of this first, but that unit was really blessed by the lady and he saved and saved Wink.
Nothing else important.

Turn 4

Magic: glittering scales (major) successful, that was luck.
Iron demon Impact hits on the errant knights to the right, but lots of saves.
Sorcerer prophet killed by killing blow of Bret lord, aargh.

Brets kill and get killed, the lord challenges my champion of the main unit and kills him.
Hellcannon gets rid of the "Arabian" Errant Knights at last.

Only one Pic of the last rounds and some facts:

My BSB took the last challenge of the Killing blow lord and stands til the end. The errant knights at my right side get all killed at last, but boy that was tough, lots of armor and ward saves.

Final Pic:

Losses: General, Khans, and half points for my main unit (remaining size under 25%, house rule)
wins: some units destroyed and the pegasus hero.
about 730 - 890 loss (9:11) and a very interesting and fun game.

This was my 14th and last game in the league. I averaged 11 points and did much better in the replays with exception of one game and will be 4th of 8 participants.
There are a few games remaining of other people, the league winner will be Bretonnians or High Elves.

edit: High Elves were it at the end.
Thanks for reading!
Hood

This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 10:18 AM by TheHoodedMan.

10-04-2015 04:11 PM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

RE: 8th Edition chaos dwarf battlereports [last battle: Bretonnians 2nd Oct]TheHoodedMan 06-30-2016

Battle report 8th Edition against Orcs and Goblins

This report will conclude this thread, I hope one or the other will enjoy it nevertheless. I will compare some points in the game to 9th Age rules, some interesting differences.

My List:

Sorcerer-Prophet, General, lvl4, Bale Taurus, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Earthing Rod, Lore of Hashut - 600 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, GW, The Mask of the Furnace, BSB - 200 Pts.
Daemonsmith Sorcerer, Scroll, Lore of Fire - 120 Pts.
Hobgoblin Khan, Giant Wolf - 52 Pts.
Hobgoblin Khan, Giant Wolf - 52 Pts.

30 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, GW, M, S, C, Std. of Swiftness - 497 Pts.
29 Hobgoblin Cutthroates, Shields, M, S - 142.5 Pts.

Iron Daemon War Engine, Hellbound - 310 Pts.
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher - 100 Pts.
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher - 100 Pts.

K'daii Destroyer - 325 Pts.

Total: 2498.5

(A similar list is difficult to create in T9A because one key element, the sorcerer on giant bull, is not possible in T9A; probably it would be an option to bring it on a lammasu or the smaller bull, but both lack the heavy hitting power, the other elements can be rebuilt to a certain degree).

06-30-2016 04:19 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

RE: 8th Edition chaos dwarf battlereports [last battle: Bretonnians 2nd Oct]TheHoodedMan 06-30-2016

Orc list:

Ork-Waaaghboss, add. hw, fire ring, armor of destiny - 193 Pkt.
Ork-sorcerer, lvl .4, great Obsidian, scroll - 270 Pkt.

Ork-BSB, preservation, cursed iron, great weapon - 134 Pkt.
Goblin-wolf rider, magical weapon, dragon helm- 71 Pkt.

43 Orcs, upgraded, MSC, add. hw, Std. of discipline - 480 Pkt.
5 Goblin-Wolfriders - 50 Pkt.
2 x 21 night goblins, bows, 2 fanatics - 113 Pkt.

10 Trolls - 350 Pkt.
1 Troll - 35 Pkt.

Ork-chariot, add. Orc - 90 Pkt.

2 x Goblin-suicide catapult 80 Pkt.
Goblin-rock lobba - 85 Pkt.
chain squig - 65 Pkt.
Arachnarok - 290 Pkt.

This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 01:47 AM by TheHoodedMan.

06-30-2016 04:23 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Magic, Terrain and deployment

On Magic the Chaos Dwarves had:

Breath of hatred, Flames of Azgorh, Burning Wrath, Ash Storm on the lvl 4 and fireball on the lvl 1: perfect.

The Orcs had:

The big foot, the Orc buff spell, a wizard missile spell and the shaman combat buff spell (and the bound fireball from the ring).

The Terrain was relatively open apart from a forest on one quarter and some hills and blocking terrain on the other parts of the table. The water was difficult terrain (swamp).

Deployment
I won side choice and choose the side with the open parts.  I thought he had to deploy his war machines vis-a-vis and therefore would be in range of my rockets. He had a superior range and I feared he could use this to his advantage otherwise. And I expected his big combat elements to move forward and wanted the possibility to shoot at them.

I placed the Detroyer relatively at the beginning to influence him bringing the trolls far from the destroyer (which he did not, they stayed relative near the center of his troops to stay in generals inspiring presence). Chariot and wolf riders were placed early by the Orcs so I placed my rockets on the other side of my infernal guard to protect them from early flank threats.

CD side

orc side: right is the rock lobba, then the giant spider and chain squig, trolls, orc block with chars and so on

Comparison T9A:
Tom had the option to deploy first; in T9A it would have been possible for him to drop all his units to get the first turn for shooting and moving forward which he would have probably made.
Also there would have been probably more terrain.

This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 02:45 AM by TheHoodedMan.

06-30-2016 04:33 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Turn 1 had already major impact on the game

CD won first turn.

CD turn 1:

We played with open lists, so I knew the fanatics. Tom had deployed his 2 night goblin regiments near each other. I was a little bit frightened by the fanatics, the chain squig and the rock lobber especially. So I decided to do something about this and it worked out.
One of my khans darted out more or less exactly to 8" of the both night goblin units and triggered all fanatics.

I moved a little to be in better position for spells (bull rider) and shooting in turn2 (iron demon). I had a 10 in magic and Tom let through the breath of hatred on the destroyer and the fireball on the chain squig. The fireball killed the squig. In shooting I was lucky and a doom rocket took out the goblin rock lobber in the corner at first hit.

Two menaces put out of the game early was really lucky and I relaxed a bit.

Orcs turn 1:
Wolf riders and 2 night goblin units stood because of internal problems :-). The goblin catapults killed 3 or 4 infernal guard. Otherwise the orc troops moved on.

pic

This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 01:42 AM by TheHoodedMan.

06-30-2016 04:42 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Turn 2

CD

I felt relatively safe - a mistake. I moved the bull behind his lines for possible breathing at the trolls and good range for the burning wrath. The iron demon in position for shooting the spider. I moved the khans to redirect the orc main block and the spider.
No spell successful, but dispel scroll of the orcs gone. Shooting took 1 lp from the spider and then a doom rocket strayed far and missed my bull instead of the spider! The charmed shield protected the rider, but the bull was down to 1 life.

1 Khan at the orc block is hidden by a tree :-)

Orcs

He attacked both khans and restrained from charging the destroyer with the trolls, understandable. Bad luck with the fanatics. One hit his own night goblins with hero, they panicked and fled the table!
Shooting killed some further infernal guard. I dispelled the big foot with my scroll.

pic

This post was last modified: 06-30-2016 09:35 AM by TheHoodedMan.

06-30-2016 04:56 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Turn 3

CD

Originally I planned to combo charge the trolls with the destroyer and the bull, but with only 1 life left at the bull this was risky. I decided that the destroyer could handle this alone (charge!). Hobgoblins moved on to redirect the orc block a 2nd time. Iron demon in position for more shooting on the spider. Bull behind orcs for breathing. Infernal guard slightly repositioned.

magic no major impact, but shooting was devastating. The iron demon and the first rocket launcher took 7 remaining life from the Arachnarok. The second launcher and the taurus breath attack killed 14 (!) orcs.
The destroyer did 8 wounds to the trolls and lost 1, but they stood steadfast.

Arachnarok gone and orcs vom 43 + 3 to 27 + 3.

Orcs

Orcs charged Hobgoblins. Chariot and remaining night goblins moved a little about.
Magic not significant, but one of the goblin catapults hit the General, killed the bull (remember only 1 life from my own rocket) and wounded my general who was alone in the enemy deployment zone ON FOOT.
The Orcs halfed my hobgoblins. The hobgoblins turned on their heels and sped 10 Inches. Orcs only 7 Inches.

edit: Amusing story about the hobgoblins. The next turn they rallied and it seemed I could save the points. But in Turn 5 I rolled a "1" for Hobgoblin Animosity, they panicked and fled of the table edge Cheers!Cheers!.

This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 01:41 AM by TheHoodedMan.

06-30-2016 05:22 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Turn 4 to the end

Nothing really important happened from there. The trolls were killed by the destroyer and Tom slowed the destroyer down with the single troll. My general killed one catapult in close combat and the other was killed by a rocket. The orcs reformed but I could move the iron demon in their way.

end photo, id blocks orcs, 3 heroes and 2 buffs on them. I had really no intentions to fight a horde of 30 orcs with about 45 attacks, S5 in first cc phase and reroll to hit.

I lost about 500 points and got nearly 1400, a 15-5 victory.

That was a very nice list and I felt very comfortable with it. The destroyer, the iron demon and the bale taurus are relatively moveable and this way I could put a lot of pressure on my opponents. In this game even more because of my luck in turn 1 (rock lobber and tomato squig killed, which could have threatened me a few turns otherwise.)

Thank you 8th Edition, it was fun and I am looking forward to exciting games with T9A.

Thanks also to my opponent Tom who was a good sport like always and improved a lot as a player in the last months.

Comparison T9A:
In T9A mission objectives play a major role and you need unit standards for most. With my list and only 2 standards, both rather immobile, it is very difficult to get some mission points.

This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 02:49 AM by TheHoodedMan.

06-30-2016 05:29 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: 8th Edition chaos dwarf battlereports [last battle: Bretonnians 2nd Oct]Jackswift 06-30-2016

Great battle report!  Some epic occurrences throughout, and well executed tactics against that army such as smoothly drawing out the fanatics for destruction.

This post was last modified: 06-30-2016 11:22 AM by Jackswift.

06-30-2016 11:22 AM
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  BAD BATTLEREPORTS (9th Age) MadHatter 3 3,378 03-11-2020 12:11 PM
Last Post: MadHatter
  Underground wars (T9A infernal dwarves battlereports - Demons of Lust vs. ID)) TheHoodedMan 37 13,593 08-26-2016 02:26 AM
Last Post: Carcearion
  Rickie's battlereports Rickie 3 3,690 09-29-2013 10:56 PM
Last Post: Rickie

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites