Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 134
Scribe's Contest Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
The path of Zharkhan [...]Axtklinge 06-17-2015

Welcome everyone!
Takes Hat off

Introduction
It's been a couple years since I've first came into this forum, no doubt lured by quite a few amazing conversions and paint jobs.

I used to play WFB (from 5th to 7th Ed.), and despite not having followed the CD way (the reduced availability of models may have had a part on it), the chaos children (as in "Chaos" army, undivided at the time) immediately appealed to me, quickly becoming my first army and entering gateway into the warhammer universe.
Nowadays, due to reduced hobby time and much more complex time schedules, the only game I manage to play somehow regularly, is Blood Bowl, and this more or less is the "setting" where this "blog" begins.

So what's this all about?

A couple of weeks ago, while using my google-fu looking after something hobby related, I found a tutorial for CD conversions (bits, green stuff, etc...), which I found it so cool that I absolutely had to give it a try.
Not sure why I needed to convert CD ( Hashut seems to work in mysterious ways...), I decided it was for the fun of it, and since I have a CD GW BB team, if something "usable" came out of my kitbash+greenstuff job, it could always be used as apothecary or staff for the team.

The birth of Zharkhan!
So here it is what I came up with...

While looking in my bitz boxes I found an "armature" (kind of), that had done for some other project, with the following bits all attached together: Arms and legs where from the GW plastic goblin sprue, the head was from a plastic ungor, the body was just a chunk of plastic sprue (with the other parts pinned to it).
To that I added a section of a "club" to make the hat (from an "hero quest" ogre I believe), some plasticard to build the shape of shoulder pads, and plenty of green stuff to make the hair, beard, and other details.

[Oh, I'm sorry for the awful pic quality (was taken at night with not enough light), but I suppose it suffices to see the wip.]

Not perfect, but interesting enough to turn into a problem...
Why, you ask?
Well, because instead of a "one time thing, just for fun", I had so much fun and enjoyed the result so much, that I decided he should be the first player of my next CD BB team!
That's why!

So now, aside from having to switch him into a round base (better suited to BB, IHMO), I'm thinking about changing the right hand (that already had a hole to fit some sort of tool), into something else (possibly a mutation, or even better a mechanical implant).
Anyway, feel free to jump in with some tips or suggestions, about anything, including the mechanical "mutations" (both for this and the other 5 CD I'll eventually build for the team).

As for the two Bull Centaurs the roster of the team allows, I already started the "kitbashing" process, and will hopefully have something to show you over the next few days!
Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Axt.

Edit: Most of you guys will already know this link, but for the other 2%, here's a great way to name your characters ->
Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
It's a lovely old fashion dice rolling name generator, similar to the ones in the Realm of Chaos books. Worth checking.

Edit 2: Updates to the title and date.

2017 Image Salvage

NABBO League: Failling Go-For-It's Since 1999
CDO blog: The path of ZharKhan

This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 02:31 AM by Admiral.

06-17-2015 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Fuggit Khan 06-17-2015

That's a lovely start, great conversion with an interesting mix of bits.
And bonus points for giving him a Big Hat Takes Hat off
As far as suggestions for mechanical implants, you could always give him steam powered mechanical legs, similar to the old 4th edition Astrogoth model

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-17-2015 02:40 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Bloodbeard 06-17-2015

Very nice start on a blog here Ax. That is one good looking Chaos Dwarf. Great greenstuff skills shown here. I like him.

Axtklinge Wrote:
So now, aside from having to switch him into a round base (better suited to BB, IHMO)

Better suited? It ain't a bloodbowl miniature without a round base. Takes Hat off

06-17-2015 02:54 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 366
Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]TheHoodedMan 06-17-2015

Great job! The model looks very good.

06-17-2015 03:44 PM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 515
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]DAGabriel 06-17-2015

Nice start, keep them coming.

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
06-17-2015 03:50 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Yodrin 06-17-2015

TheHoodedMan Wrote:
Great job! The model looks very good.

+1 Takes Hat off

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

06-17-2015 04:10 PM
edriarr blackleaf
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 30

RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]edriarr blackleaf 06-17-2015

Excellent character youre making, he'd make an great bsb with that pose. The burning hat is a fun touch, definatly not the type of head wear just anyone can pull off and look good in .. also comes in dead handy at half time, the team can gather round and roast their snacks - rat on a stick.

06-17-2015 04:54 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Abecedar 06-17-2015

Nice conversion. Have you got pictures of your first team?

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-17-2015 08:20 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1549
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]tjub 06-18-2015

Great to see yet another big hat conversion, looks good!

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

06-18-2015 01:09 AM
Axtklinge
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Axtklinge 06-18-2015

Thank you all for your kind words!

Bloodbeard Wrote:

Axtklinge Wrote:
So now, aside from having to switch him into a round base (better suited to BB, IHMO)

Better suited? It ain't a bloodbowl miniature without a round base. Takes Hat off

Happy
It's just that a few minutes before posting, I was reading a thread in other forum about this particular issue (square vs round base).
I'd rather have them in round bases too, but I understand that there may be advantages in the case of some particular minis (possibly too small or too round to stay "face down/face up"), or even different tastes about base shapes...

edriarr blackleaf Wrote:
Excellent character youre making, he'd make an great bsb with that pose. The burning hat is a fun touch, definatly not the type of head wear just anyone can pull off and look good in .. also comes in dead handy at half time, the team can gather round and roast their snacks - rat on a stick.

LOLOL
Those would be my humorous take about it too, however my GF has beat me to it, stating he looked like a "sundae" (ice cream)...

Abecedar Wrote:
Nice conversion. Have you got pictures of your first team?

Actually no...
I did the paint job up to 80% or so, but during the last stages (before the highlights and last details) I started having second thoughts if I really liked the colour scheme. So before either finishing them or striping the paint and starting over, I took the break from the end of the league to let them rest in the shelve and decide later on... and I kind of haven't decided yet.

06-18-2015 06:34 AM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 251
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]BABIS 06-18-2015

that hat looks very good Wink

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

06-18-2015 09:10 AM
Axtklinge
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Axtklinge 06-19-2015

Thanks BABIS!
Big Grin

A bit of an update...
Here are the first pics of both Bloodbowl team "Bull Centaurs".

[Note: Fluff wise, considering how technically gifted CD are, and how some CD characters already take advantage of that knowledge to mechanically enhance their powers (Astragoth comes to mind), I thought it wouldn't be stretching too far to have those mono-wheeled CDs come to a new chaos life...]
They still need to grow some proper beards and hair, and possibly add a few more details to de mono-wheel too (give it a more "CD" look).

I'm gona try to keep this "mechanically augmented" theme spread by  the CD positionals (I'll probably leave the hobs out of these "Hashut rewards"...). We see how it goes.

Suggestions and comments are welcome, as always!
Cheers,
A.

06-19-2015 05:55 AM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 251
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]BABIS 06-19-2015

he deserves a curly beard for sure Wink I really like the "mouth bit" from the SMC vehicle kit!

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

06-19-2015 06:22 AM
TimothyLeighton
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 54
Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]TimothyLeighton 06-19-2015

Those are awesome!  Puts me at serious risk of considering getting back into Bloodbowl.

06-19-2015 06:42 AM
Zanthrax
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 232
Artisan's Contest - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Zanthrax 06-19-2015

Great work and keep those updates coming

My guide to alternative Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs 2017 edition: http://ironhaiden666.blogspot.com/2017/1...chaos.html
06-19-2015 07:59 AM
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 387
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Forgefire 06-19-2015

Great start. I like the look so far!

06-19-2015 09:02 AM
Axtklinge
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Axtklinge 06-22-2015

Let there be BEARDS!!!
(... and mechanical hands)

And the beards have grown, and their owners displayed them proudly! Wink

Meanwhile, Zharkhan who has spent the past week locked with engineers and sorcerers in his laboratory, finally left, holding his brand new toy: the mechanical enhancement he longed for so long!
We will have it equipped asap!
(By the way, he's already changed to a round base).

Cheers,
Axt

PS: Are the images too big?
I thought they were a bit small in the first posts so enlarged them slightly, but may as well go back to "small" in future posts...
Please let me know.

This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 07:21 AM by Axtklinge.

06-22-2015 07:19 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Fuggit Khan 06-22-2015

Wonderfully original conversions! I love them!
They have a nice vintage look to them while still looking rather 'modern' (if that makes sense). More please Happy

Axtklinge Wrote:
PS: Are the images too big?
Please let me know.

No, I think they are perfect Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
06-22-2015 11:55 AM
Axtklinge
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]Axtklinge 06-23-2015

Zharkhan mechanical hand finally attached in the proper place!
Probably not finished yet, but on its way...

Now, if you're into Blood Bowl, you realise that this will probably means that he will pick "Mighty Blow" and/or "Claw" as his first skills-ups!
If you're not, well... lets just say he will be a scary-er vision for high armoured opposing players!

As for these guys, added some detail on the mono wheel tyre (circle with a few chaos-arrows), and added some sleeves (while covering some imperfections in the arms-torsos connection).
As in Zharkhan's case, these might still be subject to more attention in the future.

Moving on, yesterday I've managed to trade some of bits with a mate, so I now have enough raw material for four more CD's. He still (kind of) owes me a few more bits from past trades, so with a bit of luck (he's still gonna try to find what I'm looking for) I may even get my hands in something to build the hobgoblins of the team.
We'll see.

So, as far as Blood Bowl game rules are concerned, while at the beginning I wont be able to "buy" strait away all the positionals I intend to play with (limited amount of money available to start with, but you win more along the way, as you play more games), I want to make sure I build all the players I intend to use (even if only "bought" later).
And those are:
- 6 Chaos Dwarves (max allowed),
- 2 Bull-centaurs (max allowed),
- 5 Hobgoblins (these will hopefully be enough to hold the lines until I can buy all the armoured bearded top-hats),
And last ut not least...
- 1 Minotaur (max allowed)

As per game rules, you can only field a max of 11 players on any time (from the max of 16 players on the roster that each team may have. However, good practices state you should only have at max 14 or 15, to leave place to induce starplayers, whenever you get to play against more expensive/developed teams).

For curiosity sake, below I show the CD team roster info as pictured in the LRB 6.0 (relax, not infringing any IP rights since the official rules are freely available on Cyanide's Blood Bowl official forum web page, here: Blood Bowl Living Rulebook 6.0.pdf)

Feel free to comment or ask if you're interested in more info about Blood Bowl!

Cheers,
Axt.

06-23-2015 12:51 PM
DAGabriel
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 515
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Golden Hat - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The path of Zharkhan [June 2015]DAGabriel 06-23-2015

Never been into BB, but it begins to begin quite interesting. But with no players around....

2015        Bought/Traded: 104        Painted: 107

My army blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...589&page=1
06-23-2015 01:54 PM
Pages (5): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Path to Glory - Baggronor's casting blog Baggronor 698 428,192 01-09-2018 05:46 AM
Last Post: Pappa Midnight
  Lucifer's path to the Throne of Skulls Lucifer 39 11,852 12-13-2014 06:45 AM
Last Post: Lucifer

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites