Post Reply  Post Thread 
1 Votes - 5 Average   Scribe's IV, The Scrapped Attempts; The Sword and the Shield
Author MessageScribe's IV, The Scrapped Attempts; The Sword and the Shield
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 51
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
Scribe's IV, The Scrapped Attempts; The Sword and the ShieldDînadan 07-25-2015

As I said elsewhere I wrote two entries in addition to the one I ultimately did enter in Scibe's IV, but couldn't use them because they were too long, so here they are for your entertainment while you mull over who to vote for.

The Sword and the Shield

"There once was a mighty sword.  In its time it served its masters well, never growing dull and slaying many foes.  From father to son it was passed down through many generations until after many years being wielded by its eighth lord in a mighty duel it shattered along the blade.  Weaponless, the overlord was forced to take refuge behind his shield, but a mighty blow cleft it in twain and the overlord's head was struck from his exposed neck.  The lord's son, it's ninth master gathered up the shards and handed them to his clan's Daemonsmith, who took them to his forge.  He set aside the shield halves and cast the sword shards into a crucible.

"Ha," sneered the shield, "See how I am set aside to be tended while you are cast away to be burned.  Mayhaps you'll be reforged into shackles for snotlings."

"Nay," replied the shards, "I did my duty.  All things must die eventually and I lasted eight generations.  'Twas not my fault our master lays slain, that is because of your failing."

"But it is not I who has been cast into the fire," scoffed the shield.

"Only because your wood cannot be reforged," chuckled the shards, "Your boss shall be stripped and bolted to new boards, but that shall not be you anymore.  I on the other hand shall be recast into a new body; my form may be changed, but I shall still be me, for I have been reforged before.  All things must die shield, even the world around us, but only the worthy may rise from the flames."

At this the shield grew quiet and fearful, knowing the shards spoke the truth, even as they melted.  And as the shards foresaw, the smith returned to the forge and hammered them into a new blade, while the shield was stripped of its boss and the rest discarded.  So to shall the weak and unworthy be discarded in the End Times and only the strong shall emerge from the flames, hammered and tempered by the will of the gods into new forms for a new world, but at their heart still the same as they have always been, for as this has all happened before, so too shall it happen again.

- fable from the Apocrypha Uhr-Kulmbizharr, a collection of writings attributed to the renowned Uhr-Kulmbizharr, but believed by all right minded scholars to instead be the work of a lesser author using the Daemonsmith's name to try and spread his lesser works.

Not that happy with the first one to be honest, doesn't really work for me.  Would have liked to have entered the second, but as I said...word limits...Sad

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 10:15 AM by Dînadan.

07-25-2015 05:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 125
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Scribe's IV, The Scrapped AttemptsAdmiral 07-31-2015

Magical stuff, both of them. The reforging of metal as symbolic of the reincarnation of the Warhammer world is a potent theme, and well handled here. Bonus points for apocrypha, that's clever and adds yet another spin to CD culture. If I'm any judge, though, that's not a lesser work. Anyway, hats off. Takes Hat off

Would you please like to post the two stories as separate threads? It'll make indexing them that much easier.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-31-2015 10:01 AM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Scribe's IV, The Scrapped AttemptsDînadan 07-31-2015

Thanks Admiral.  The 'lesser work' thing was part sell-deprecating joke and part to add colour, just as in real life I'm fairly sure there have been things attributed to say Homer, than modern scholars have examined and have said can't be done by him.  Been wanting to use that idea for a while, but this has been the first chance I've had as I haven't been inspired to write any fables til now Wink. Did have the idea that the Apophryca are judge to be fakes because of something like they're written on tablets that weren't being made at the time Uhr-Kulmbizharr, or that they refernce stuff he couldn't know about, but that's a bit too cumbersome to go into in the footnote and not really sure what the specifics to show its fake could be.

I'll get on to posting them separate now Happy

07-31-2015 10:12 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1473
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Scribe's IV, The Scrapped Attempts; The Sword and the ShieldAbecedar 07-31-2015

I like this one too.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
07-31-2015 05:35 PM
Dînadan

RE: Scribe's IV, The Scrapped Attempts; The Sword and the ShieldDînadan 07-31-2015

Thanks Abecedar

07-31-2015 06:05 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Scribe's IV, the Scrapped Attempts; The Smith's Prophecy Dînadan 4 1,470 09-19-2015 06:05 AM
Last Post: Dînadan
  Khorne's Sword and Hashut? Grimstonefire 11 3,509 07-02-2010 02:40 PM
Last Post: Drychnath

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites