Post Reply  Post Thread 
1 Votes - 5 Average   The Third Commandment of Hashut
Author MessageThe Third Commandment of Hashut
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 49
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
The Third Commandment of HashutDînadan 08-05-2015

"And as I set a father above all, I decree that my Third Commandment shall be 'A Father Owns all his Children and Wives and all their Possessions.' And I decree this to hold unto death and only holy writ may break the bonds.

For a child must obey their father in all things, and thus must offer up any and all possessions when ordered to by their father.  And thus those goods belong to the father and are held by the child in trust.  And in a father's absence, I decree his eldest male heir shall stand in his stead and arbitrate on his behalf.

And when a father dies, his authority passes to his eldest living son.  If he has no living sons, then it shall pass on to his eldest living male heir.  And if he have none of these, onto his nearest male kin as decreed by the Order of the Clans.  And he who inherits shall now be the father.

And as my consorts are shackled to me so to shall the bond betwixt father and daughter be broken and a new one forged between her and her husband.  And he shall own her unto death whereupon she shall be rebound to her father.

And as these bonds hold between father and child so too shall they hold between me and you, for I am your Father, and you my Children, and thus are my property for as it has been written, my Third Commandment is 'A Father Owns all his Children and Wives and all their Possessions.'

- inscription found on the third of the one hundred and forty-four bronze tablets in the Temple of Hashut atop Mingol Zharr-Naggrund.  From this commandment arises the practise of indentured servitude and a more flexible approach to family than in western dwarf society.  As a Dawi is considered the property of his father, it is commonly accepted that a father may sell his sons to another as he would a slave, whereupon the new father may elect to adopt the son or elect to sign a contract with the old father for a fixed term.  However while this is commonly regarded as acceptable, it is still relatively rare as everything a Dawi owns, including his sons belong to his father, and thus he may not sell without his father's consent.  As a result, these sales are usually restricted between those with a 'father' in common.  Another common application is a father who wishes to remove a son from the line of succession; for example, if a father has three sons and the middle son is out of favour, it is common for him to sell the third son to the first, thereby making him the first son's son.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 12:11 PM by Dînadan.

08-05-2015 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Third Commandment of HashutDînadan 08-05-2015

This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 05:36 AM by Dînadan.

08-05-2015 03:47 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 338
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Third Commandment of HashutAdmiral 09-19-2015

Third Commandment, property and patriarchy. Check. Well-crafted as always, and true to the Babylonian spirit of CDs, with the weird Warhammer twist of allowing you to sell your sons for reasons of intrigue etc. It's stuff like this that truly gets under the skin of the Dawi Zharr. Do you have a tall hat on your hatrack or what?

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Deadline 16th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
09-19-2015 04:48 AM
Dînadan

RE: The Third Commandment of HashutDînadan 09-19-2015

Oddly I don't like wearing headgear in any form, just don't feel comfortable unless I'm bareheaded Sorcerer

And thanks Takes Hat off

09-19-2015 06:02 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The First Commandment of Hashut Dînadan 10 2,405 09-19-2015 05:28 PM
Last Post: Admiral
  The One Hundred and Forty-Fourth Commandment of Hashut Dînadan 5 1,653 09-19-2015 02:48 PM
Last Post: Dînadan
  The Fourth Commandment of Hashut Dînadan 3 1,300 09-19-2015 06:04 AM
  The Second Commandment of Hashut Dînadan 3 1,329 09-19-2015 05:38 AM
  The Fifth Commandment of Hashut Dînadan 3 1,356 09-19-2015 05:34 AM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites